• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Don’t think Hoever/SvdB will be able to replace Lovren until Summer 2021.

If Lovren leaves someone has to be brought in - even if it is 'just' a Caulker/Klavan type of signing. Ideally it would be someone who knows the league or with international experience.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Wonder if we could bring in Cahill from Palace? Think he would be a decent stop gap.

Kristensen the Salzburg defender and Sander Berge look like very attractive propositions right now.

Cheap, classy and 1.95m bit of a no brainer with Fabinho out for a while yet. With his height maybe he could be an emergency CB aswell? Really feel we need a defensive signing now.

Kristensen, the Salzburg defender looked very,very accomplished against us. Hope Edwards is busy behind the scenes.

Last edited:

GermanRed

Think we have 2 or more CBs out injured in December/January for the third year in a row now.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Next summer I expect to see the following outgoings:

Lovren (31) will probably be allowed to move on next summer with 1 year remaining on his contract. Hoever will hopefully be ready to take his place in the squad by then.

Lallana (31) and Clyne (28) will most certainly be released when their contracts expire in 2020. Lallana's limited squad role can easily be filled by Jones and Minamino going forwards.

Grujic's future seems to be elsewhere and it wouldn't be surprising to see him loaned again, or even sold.

I'd also be surprised if Wilson isn't sold next summer. Klopp's latest quotes about him being a good player but needing to learn to link with teammates suggests to me that he's not in Klopp's plans.

Those outgoing transfers would leave the squad for 2020/21 as follows:

---------------------------- Alisson (27) --------------------------------
---------------------------- Adrian (32) ---------------------------------
---------------------------- Grabara (20) --------------------------------
---------------------------- Kelleher (21) -------------------------------

Trent (21) ------ Matip (28) ------- Van Dijk (28) ---- Robertson (25)
Hoever (17) --- Gomez (22) ------ Vd Berg (17) ------- (Milner)
Williams (18)

--------------------------- Fabinho (26) --------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------- Wijnaldum (29) ---------------- Henderson (29) -------------
------------ Keita (24) ----------------------- Ox (26) -------------------
----------- Milner (33) --------------------- Jones (18) -----------------

Salah (27) ---------------- Firmino (28) -------------------- Mané (27)
Shaqiri (28) ---------------- Origi (24) ----------------- Minamino (25)
Elliott (17) ---------------- Brewster (19) -------------------------------

What I think the squad lacks mostly are young understudy's for Fabinho and Robertson, though in the short-term Milner and Henderson can cover those roles. Ideally we can bring in a left sided version of Hoever for LB, and someone like Sander Berge who can play DM and cover in CB.

Minamino's versatility makes it hard to predict whether we'll go after an AM or another wide forward next summer. Another attacking signing may also depend on whether or not Shaqiri stays. There should be a huge amount of money available next summer for a splash in the forward positions should Klopp want to do something; perhaps like changing Shaqiri and Origi into one more prolific player, like Timo Werner or another top attacker.

I haven’t seen Klopps comments on Wilson, but chances are if he’s telling him what parts of his game to work on in - in the media- he hasn’t given up on him by a long shot.

If Klopp was throwing out false platitudes, then I’d be more inclined to agree he’s done here.

Don’t watch enough non LFC football to really have a qualified opinion on the matter, but if the current chorus of him needing to work on his involvement during games are true, then I think that can be worked on.

Better he’s got good technical skill and posting good numbers than he has a perfect reading of the game but no end product in his first season in the PL.

It mirrors origi in a way, numbers, but more in game involvement required, and I think that’s just fine ( not perfect) for someone who at best, will be getting cameos for us next season.

Richard88

Don’t think Hoever/SvdB will be able to replace Lovren until Summer 2021.

If Lovren leaves someone has to be brought in - even if it is 'just' a Caulker/Klavan type of signing. Ideally it would be someone who knows the league or with international experience.
I agree about Hoever and Vd Berg, 2020 might be a bit early for them. I'm sure Edwards and Klopp have a logical plan for how to bridge Lovren and his replacement.

Richard88

Wonder if we could bring in Cahill from Palace? Think he would be a decent stop gap.

Kristensen the Salzburg defender and Sander Berge look like a very attractive propositions right now.

Cheap, classy and 1.95m bit of a no brainer with Fabinho out for a while yet. With his height maybe he could be an emergency CB aswell? Really feel we need a defensive signing now.

Kristensen, the Salzburg defender looked very,very accomplished against us. Hope Edwards is busy behind the scenes.
Agree on Kristensen, he did stand out a few times when defending against Mané 1v1 in particular. Looks to be a decent player, but I'm not sure he'd fancy his chances at a club which already has an undisputed 1st choice RB

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
The smart play would be to reinforce in January, less trhan ideal though that is. We need a backup DM and in a perfect world another CB. If Fabinho had been playing against Watford they would have had one solid chance of a goal instead of five, max. With a dedicated DM screening the back four we are far more difficult to break down. Gini's loss has just exacerbated the problem. As for the CB situation we have four first team CBs - in theory - the problem being that three of them are injury prone.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
The smart play would be to reinforce in January, less trhan ideal though that is. We need a backup DM and in a perfect world another CB. If Fabinho had been playing against Watford they would have had one solid chance of a goal instead of five, max. With a dedicated DM screening the back four we are far more difficult to break down. Gini's loss has just exacerbated the problem. As for the CB situation we have four first team CBs - in theory - the problem being that three of them are injury prone.
Buying an LB frees up Milner to play in midfield. Which potentially allows us to put Gini or Fab (when they comeback from injury) in CB here and there. So getting an already established, decent LB who can give some rest to Robbo will have a knock on effect.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
The smart play would be to reinforce in January, less trhan ideal though that is.
the smart play is only smart if the player we sign is of the right quality, and we see a use for them beyond January. If he only plays when Fab isnt available, then he isnt going to get many games. He would have to cover a number of positions probably to get the games to justify his signing.

I think Keita will do well enough in Gini's absence. Gini is someone who doesnt stay out for long, although may need managing for a longer period.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Agree about the quality issue which is why it's less than ideal timing. The fact remains though that Hendo/Keita would be playing out of position - like aginst Watford - and quite naturally won't be a effective as someone who knows the DM role - like against Watford. We WILL be exposed to counter attacks as things stand and against much better teams than we were on Saturday. VVD isn't looking like his old solid self because of this and we can't keep relying on AB to produce 'worldies' to keep the opposition out.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Agree about the quality issue which is why it's less than ideal timing. The fact remains though that Hendo/Keita would be playing out of position - like aginst Watford - and quite naturally won't be a effective as someone who knows the DM role - like against Watford. We WILL be exposed to counter attacks as things stand and against much better teams than we were on Saturday. VVD isn't looking like his old solid self because of this and we can't keep relying on AB to produce 'worldies' to keep the opposition out.
Hendo played there before Fabinho joined and we had solid performances. VVD looked strong before Fabinho joined, and has looked a little out of sorts when Fabinho played this season so i dont think it fair to put it own to the latters absence. I dont think these are valid justifications for a new signing. I think we would adapt quicker to using Hendo there than an incoming signing would to play in that position.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Hendo played there before Fabinho joined and we had solid performances. VVD looked strong before Fabinho joined, and has looked a little out of sorts when Fabinho played this season so i dont think it fair to put it own to the latters absence. I dont think these are valid justifications for a new signing. I think we would adapt quicker to using Hendo there than an incoming signing would to play in that position.
I don't mean to sound argumentative but who then plays in Hendo's position as he's moved? And if it's Keita, who then plays in his as he's moved? We are short in central midfield now.

Limiescouse

I don't mean to sound argumentative but who then plays in Hendo's position as he's moved? And if it's Keita, who then plays in his as he's moved? We are short in central midfield now.
We're really not. We've still got Hendo, Milner, Ox, Naby, Lallana and even Shaq depending on the approach. Maybe even Curtis Jones for some more time off the bench or the Monterrey game.

Last edited:

cipher

TIA New Signing
Personally, I'd like to see us sign one of the big young attacking talents as we start getting ready to transition to the next iteration of Klopp's squad. I don't want us waiting too long like it seems Man City has. Also, cover at CB is needed given what we've seen with injuries the last two winters.

Out
Origi - 35M
Wilson - 30M
Shaqiri - 30M
Lovren - 15M
Total - 110M

In
Havertz/Sancho - 100M
Soyuncu - 35M
Total - 130M

Combined with the Minamino signing this leaves us with three current squad players out and three replacements in...

Origi -> Havertz/Sancho
Shaqiri -> Minamino
Lovren -> Soyuncu

If we could also add another player who could cover the full backs then our squad would be better balanced going into next year which is a scary thought for everyone else.

Sweeting

I haven’t seen him, but if we are interested, it places a question mark over Larouci and Lewis. I do agree we need to strengthen in this position.
Lewis won't be a left back in the Premier League. If he is going to make it as a PL player he would have to play in midfield.
Our current crop of left backs is Larouci, Gallacher, Norris and Beck. Larouci and Norris are good prospects but they are also versatile and play a lot of different positions.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
It does not matter how much we speculate or tell who we want Klopp almost always seem to surprise us.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
To be fair, quite a few here did tip him off to Minamino.....
From what I have been reading we (read Klopp and the scouting) already had an eye on him years ago. Think nobody on this forum knew him before Liverpool-Salzburg.

Reactions: kpt

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
From what I have been reading we (read Klopp and the scouting) already had an eye on him years ago. Think nobody on this forum knew him before Liverpool-Salzburg.
Thats not quite true. I knew of him before we played Salzburg and i dont follow football as closely now as some on here do. Yes, the club were scouting him since 2015/16 i think.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
It's going to be an exciting week... many people here feel that we need a new LB and CB. The Carabao Cup should give us a good indication, however, of how far away Elliot, Larouci, Hoever and van den Berg are.

My guess is that they probably aren't that far off...

GermanRed

Julian Weigl is unhappy at Dortmund, 1,5 years left on his contract and can play CDM/CB. Just saying.

Don’t think we will make defensive signings in January.

Lupo

Julian Weigl is playing the easy passes all the time with good passing quotes but without inspiration - just fine but in my opinion totally overrated. I am not disappointed if he leave Dortmund.

Klopp is happy with his squad - he will buy player to develop or he will buy "the one" - I repeat myself but think about his signings in Dortmund - Hummels (youth Munich - loan - 5m); Lucas Barrios (5m); Lewandowski from Warschau (5m); Kagawa from Japan (free); Götze (own youth)
After establishing and 2 times German champion he signed Mkhitaryan (29m) and Reus (20m)

Even if you double the prices for nowadays he was always looking for talented players fitting his philosophy.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Julian Weigl is unhappy at Dortmund, 1,5 years left on his contract and can play CDM/CB. Just saying.

Don’t think we will make defensive signings in January.
Why is he unhappy? Playing at Dortmund seems about the right level for him. Not sure he'd add much to our squad, but then again, what do I know?

Lupo

You should look to teams like Freiburg - only 18 Goals against them with no budget - a player like Robin Koch is not that bad and a cheap deal. They are playing Munich today.
Another good deal is Felix Uduokhai - very stable only 22 years old.

Last edited:

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Weigl unhappy... I think the footballing world is unhappy with his stall of development. At one point it looked like he's one of the next up and coming holding midfielders for a controlling side. Like Rodri broke through in basically 2-3 seasons at 2 clubs. With Julian it seems like something stopped. We'll see if he ever reaches that level.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
You should look to teams like Freiburg - only 18 Goals against them with no budget - a player like Robin Koch is not that bad and a cheap deal. They are playing Munich today.
Another good deal is Felix Uduokhai - very stable only 22 years old.
Not keen on his apparent allegiance to Saruman. No idea about his defensive abilities though ;)