Who would you buy?

Dutch

Ad-free Member
To be fair, quite a few here did tip him off to Minamino.....
From what I have been reading we (read Klopp and the scouting) already had an eye on him years ago. Think nobody on this forum knew him before Liverpool-Salzburg.

Reactions: kpt

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
From what I have been reading we (read Klopp and the scouting) already had an eye on him years ago. Think nobody on this forum knew him before Liverpool-Salzburg.
Thats not quite true. I knew of him before we played Salzburg and i dont follow football as closely now as some on here do. Yes, the club were scouting him since 2015/16 i think.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
It's going to be an exciting week... many people here feel that we need a new LB and CB. The Carabao Cup should give us a good indication, however, of how far away Elliot, Larouci, Hoever and van den Berg are.

My guess is that they probably aren't that far off...

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Julian Weigl is unhappy at Dortmund, 1,5 years left on his contract and can play CDM/CB. Just saying.

Don’t think we will make defensive signings in January.

Lupo

Julian Weigl is playing the easy passes all the time with good passing quotes but without inspiration - just fine but in my opinion totally overrated. I am not disappointed if he leave Dortmund.

Klopp is happy with his squad - he will buy player to develop or he will buy "the one" - I repeat myself but think about his signings in Dortmund - Hummels (youth Munich - loan - 5m); Lucas Barrios (5m); Lewandowski from Warschau (5m); Kagawa from Japan (free); Götze (own youth)
After establishing and 2 times German champion he signed Mkhitaryan (29m) and Reus (20m)

Even if you double the prices for nowadays he was always looking for talented players fitting his philosophy.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Julian Weigl is unhappy at Dortmund, 1,5 years left on his contract and can play CDM/CB. Just saying.

Don’t think we will make defensive signings in January.
Why is he unhappy? Playing at Dortmund seems about the right level for him. Not sure he'd add much to our squad, but then again, what do I know?

Lupo

You should look to teams like Freiburg - only 18 Goals against them with no budget - a player like Robin Koch is not that bad and a cheap deal. They are playing Munich today.
Another good deal is Felix Uduokhai - very stable only 22 years old.

Last edited:

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Weigl unhappy... I think the footballing world is unhappy with his stall of development. At one point it looked like he's one of the next up and coming holding midfielders for a controlling side. Like Rodri broke through in basically 2-3 seasons at 2 clubs. With Julian it seems like something stopped. We'll see if he ever reaches that level.

Chewbazza

Ad-free Member
You should look to teams like Freiburg - only 18 Goals against them with no budget - a player like Robin Koch is not that bad and a cheap deal. They are playing Munich today.
Another good deal is Felix Uduokhai - very stable only 22 years old.
Not keen on his apparent allegiance to Saruman. No idea about his defensive abilities though ;)

GaryC

Anyone have any news on Minamino's medical? Did he pass? After the Fekir fiasco medicals suddenly doesn't seem as a formality as it once was.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Anyone have any news on Minamino's medical? Did he pass? After the Fekir fiasco medicals suddenly doesn't seem as a formality as it once was.
There was also the Loic Remy thing before.

GaryC

I believe Minamino, once up to speed with our systems, can easily slot into any of our front 3 positions should there be a need, without a significant drop in performance.

Notasuperfan

And now we have Minamino! Now, we should get a North American player to complete the world map!

I wonder will Captain Steve Rogers do a job at CB??

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Unless someone is going in this window, I don't know where anyone else fits in January:

Bobby, Sadio, Mo, Origi, Taki (5)
Hendo, Gini, Fab, Millie, Naby, Lallana, Ox, Shaqs (8)
Robbo, Virg, Degsy, Matip, Joe, TAA (6)
Ali, Adrian (2)

21 Players

Obviously, that accounts for everyone healthy but adding anyone at this point beyond Taki means someone would be left out of the matchday squad.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
I can't see us signing anyone else next month. I'm a little surprised we've signed the one we have.

We're obviously a bit stretched at CB currently, but I think Lovren and Matip will be coming back to fitness in the coming weeks, Fabinho too, and Virgil might even recover in time for the final on Saturday. Either way I think Klopp will look for solutions within the existing squad rather than make any more additions.

Red Submarine

We've won the fucking lot.
I can't see us signing anyone else next month. I'm a little surprised we've signed the one we have.

We're obviously a bit stretched at CB currently, but I think Lovren and Matip will be coming back to fitness in the coming weeks, Fabinho too, and Virgil might even recover in time for the final on Saturday. Either way I think Klopp will look for solutions within the existing squad rather than make any more additions.
I agree with you but it is a glaring weakness at the back currently. I'd love us to bring someone in. Even just an old warhorse with two years left in him! It would calm the nerves to have another CB available and when you look at the position we're in now it's madness not to drop a few quid in that position to help us over the line (y)

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Unless someone is going in this window, I don't know where anyone else fits in January:

Bobby, Sadio, Mo, Origi, Taki (5)
Hendo, Gini, Fab, Millie, Naby, Lallana, Ox, Shaqs (8)
Robbo, Virg, Degsy, Matip, Joe, TAA (6)
Ali, Adrian (2)

21 Players

Obviously, that accounts for everyone healthy but adding anyone at this point beyond Taki means someone would be left out of the matchday squad.
Speaking strictly for the summer, Lallana and Clyne are obviously gone and I think that Shaqiri will follow, so that midfield selection will look lighter than it does right now - I just hope there are no more injuries, just look at that defence now...

I'm not one for fast-tracking kids but I'm slowly reaching the point where I can no longer convince myself that Elliott is too young and that he shouldn't be thrust into first team action, even if it's a cup game. Same goes for Hoever, who does have his issues (what's with Dutch defenders being so laid back to the point of convincing everyone they are not focused on the game?!), but seems a proper prospect in the making. Both of them could be helpful until the end of the season, at least to an extent. From the next season, though, if they continue progressing at this rate, I hope both of them are made part of first team squad.

Richard88

It's going to be an exciting week... many people here feel that we need a new LB and CB. The Carabao Cup should give us a good indication, however, of how far away Elliot, Larouci, Hoever and van den Berg are.

My guess is that they probably aren't that far off...
Judging by the first half against Villa, van den Berg has a long way to go before he's ready for the 1st team. I know it's harsh due to age etc, but he was the worst player on the pitch imo. Hoever and Elliott look very close to the first team though.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
Judging by the first half against Villa, van den Berg has a long way to go before he's ready for the 1st team. I know it's harsh due to age etc, but he was the worst player on the pitch imo. Hoever and Elliott look very close to the first team though.
Agree that he didn't look great.

Neither did Gomez until he had a reliable defensive partner who helped him settle his nerves. Not saying he is ready... but having been a starter in the Eredivisie - he shouldn't be too far.

Sweeting

If it were me I'd be letting Lovren go in the summer and replace him with someone a little younger, a bit more composed on the ball and more reliable (in terms of injuries).

I don't expect that to happen though.

Hoever, Elliott and Jones could all have more of a say in the first team over the next 12 months which is quite exciting - I don't predict any of them going out on loan with how well their current development is going. Fingers crossed one or two of them will establish themselves as a first team player in the near future..