• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Richard88

True that, and I'm not writing him off, but I have a phobia (or PTSD actually) of players who avoid using their weaker foot at all times and I can't remember a top one with that trait.

By the way, if we're looking at long term investments, Martinelli should be one to keep an eye on in case Brewster doesn't make it or Firmino decides to leave in a few years' time. He seems a top prospect in the making.
Arjen Robben comes to mind. Leo Messi to a lesser extent as well.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Sturridge
While I think he has one of the most complete / most versatile left foots in world football - can’t really remembering doing anything great with his right foot.

Richard88

I only wish either Williams or Hoever was left footed. I like Larouci but the more I see from him, the more he reminds me of Moreno, unfortunately. That second left back position is really up for grabs, it's a shame that Liverpool don't have a more complete young player there. Lewis probably won't play there much, which is understandable but I think his overall game is better than Larouci's.

As for centre back, I'm actually wondering if Hoever will grow in height and become that fourth option.

In other news, Neil Jones says he expects Jones to stay and Chirivella to follow Brewster out on loan (he mentioned Nottingham Forest as a possible destination).
Was thinking during the game that there's something about Larouci that reminds me a bit of Aly Cissokho. I think it's the fact that he some skill, but just doesn't seem to know what to do with it. It's like his mind lags a half second behind what his body actually does. For example, that time he was 1v1 against Coleman in the 2nd half yesterday and kinda just stood there with the ball... thinking... thinking.... and then after a couple of seconds he just launched a cross into row Z. That particular incident reminded me of the "release the kraken" cross at 1:20 of this classic:
:D

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Was thinking during the game that there's something about Larouci that reminds me a bit of Aly Cissokho. I think it's the fact that he some skill, but just doesn't seem to know what to do with it. It's like his mind lags a half second behind what his body actually does. For example, that time he was 1v1 against Coleman in the 2nd half yesterday and kinda just stood there with the ball... thinking... thinking.... and then after a couple of seconds he just launched a cross into row Z. That particular incident reminded me of the "release the kraken" cross at 1:20 of this classic:
:D
Lord, Cissokho was absolute bollocks wasn't he? :LOL:

It's a shame he's 32. Five years younger and Pep would probably spunk the thick end of £50m on him.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team

3 years back we were hyping up Woodburn so much. If you read Inglethorpe's word in this link where he talks about Woodburn, he is talking about TAA and Ejaria too.

3 years gone and TAA has been the first choice RB for almost 2 years. Woodburn is now 20 already and is nowhere near first team and probably won't make it in PL. Ejaria is playing in Scottish league.

And Wilson has been going on loans for eternity. No one knows for sure whether he will be here next season or sold.

And 3 years back, Gomez looked like he could be a half decent LB.

Jones, Neco, Elliot (and Larouci) still have a long way to go before they can become our first team players. They are in good hands and they need to continue to work hard and continue to use the opportunities they get.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.

3 years back we were hyping up Woodburn so much. If you read Inglethorpe's word in this link where he talks about Woodburn, he is talking about TAA and Ejaria too.

3 years gone and TAA has been the first choice RB for almost 2 years. Woodburn is now 20 already and is nowhere near first team and probably won't make it in PL. Ejaria is playing in Scottish league.

And Wilson has been going on loans for eternity. No one knows for sure whether he will be here next season or sold.

And 3 years back, Gomez looked like he could be a half decent LB.

Jones, Neco, Elliot (and Larouci) still have a long way to go before they can become our first team players. They are in good hands and they need to continue to work hard and continue to use the opportunities they get.
Woodburn was unbelievably good when he broke through at youth team level, his decision making and execution of what he wanted to do was off the charts.

It never quite translated to first team football (unlike the 3 you mentioned who don't look out of place) but he's also had some terrible luck with injuries. He can still develop into a very good player but unfortunately his chance with us is probably gone. There were always question marks about his athleticism too and how he'd cope with top level football, a bit like Chirivella really just in a different position. Same goes for Duncan too, though he's a player who I'd genuinely class as 'overhyped', usually by people who didn't watch youth football too much.

Ejaria is doing well in the Championship. Wilson is doing well. Most of the players who have received 'hype' of any description in the last few years with us are having good careers.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
bloody hell.

reminds me a bit of training on wednesdays..... just like looking in the mirror.........

Perth Red

Rolling with crocs in Darwin
Ejaria is clearly extremely skillful but he holds on to the ball a bit too long at times. If he can learn to release at the right time to set runners away I think he will improve greatly. Not sure about his range of passing or heading or tackling... don't watch enough of Reading (and nothing from Scotland). General overall opinions?

Sweeting

The Reading fans love him.

He's come a long way since being a relatively lazy looking DM released by Arsenal.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Exploring the areas on the pitch and whether we can still improve this amazing squad;

GK; Think, after years of issues with the starter stretching back when Reina lost his form Alisson is the perfect keeper for our needs. We paid what it took and got the best keeper in the world for this team. Adrian was a bit of a surprise out the blue but think we have finally got a good choice back up keeper which is again something we've struggled to have. With talent in the academy or on loan I think we are set for years to come.

CB; On paper we have the best collection of CBs anyone could want. VvD, Gomez, Matip and Lovren (in that order for me) is amazing level of choice. With emergency cover from Fabinho and the academy we have great options and quality. Unfortunately they aren't always available. I'm expecting Lovren to move on and a senior CB to come in. Don't think anyone in the academy will be ready when that happens unfortunately. So a CB, will it be a Klavan style place holder till an academy kid is ready or a real challenger to Gomez and Matip like you could argue Lovren would be if he was more reliable with his fitness?

FB; Got the best starters in the world. Alexander-Arnold and Robertson are both brilliant, young and fit. Probably going to/should continue playing 60-75% of our games as long as not over playing them. Neco Williams and to a lesser extent Larouchi are real prospects and able offer options but too raw to be relied upon yet. Milner is currently a strong option at LB and RB (where the need for him is less with Gomez also an option). Will he continue being an effective back up option here? Does he want to? Those are the questions for those positions and determine if we need a full back who is predominantly a LB option but also an emergency option at RB.

CM; At 6 with Fabinho, Henderson and Wijnaldum (maybe even Grujic, Chirivela and Lallana) we are definitely set. With box to box Henderson, Wijnaldum, Keita, Milner and possibly Grujic I think we are fine. For a more creative option we are looking at Ox, Keita, Lallana, maybe Jones (started that way in FA cup and was really good) along with out of the box options like Shaqiri, Minamino and Wilson that Klopp could use but maybe not likely, hard to tell with Klopp. Here there are a lot of fitness issues and questions over other options suitability, readiness and long term future here. If any CMs come in I expect it to be a more creative number 8 option, even if Wijnaldum did leave, think we would be fine in the deeper roles without him. Not sure I see anyone coming in unless it's too good a chance to turn down or Wijnaldum does leave (which I'm not expecting) but it could happen.

Wings; Like with the fullbacks we potentially have the best partnership in the world with two of the top 5 in the world. Them two each playing 60-75% of our games yet again covers a lot. Young options and possible options like Elliot, Jones and Wilson cover or offer cover a bit too. One consideration is will Klopp see Wilson as an option/ready to play here? And don't want young players having too much responsibility put on them when they are ready. Minamino is an option but seems like he is better for our central positions and Klopp mentioned his skills are a better fit there. That leaves Origi (sometimes an interesting option off the bench but less effective as a starter) and Shaqiri (not a perfect fit) along with players like Ox and Lallana (unconvincingly) playing out of position. So far Salah and Mane seem both tireless and indestructible and I think that makes us look a lot better than I personally think we actually are. I think Shaqiri and Lallana will be moving on. That would lead to an opening for either Wilson or a new player. A player like a Shaqiri or Minamino, just cover? Or an expensive established player as they would be able to get as much game time as Salah Mane? I'd go for the established top player option. I don't see the point of bringing someone in that doesn't improve us. We may as well stick with the likes of Shaqiri or Wlison otherwise.

CF; Firmino and Minamino is the perfect set up. Origi and Salah as our Plan B or when we play 4231 is great. Hopefully Brewster will be an option here soon after a loan or two. Maybe ready to take over if and when Origi goes? There will always be academy hopefuls needing the odd game in the cups too.

So maximum needs are CB (if Lovren goes), LB who can play RB (a 50/50 need for me), offensive/creative number 8 CM (if Wijnaldum goes) and a wide attacker who can play left side and maybe right too.

My choices might be to look at opportunities like Eriksen on a free if Wijnaldum goes or a Klavan style CB if Lovren goes as hopefully one or more of the kids will be ready soon, stick with Milner unless someone like Achraf Hakimi is available and then plow all our funds onto a real world class option up top.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
How does FFP work again? I've never bothered to look it up.

Can you stockpile cash for a few years before a blowout?

Talk of rebuilding the team in a few years time has me wondering...

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

From my layman's understanding it looks at something like the last three years spending. So you could in theory spend little for a season or two then go crazy but wouldn't be able to do very much for next year or two. Going off memory so might be wrong though.

Limiescouse

To a degree, but not for ever. Results are viewed over a 3 year period so you can have a big blow out in any one year as long as you accommodate that in the other years within the reporting period.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
Exploring the areas on the pitch and whether we can still improve this amazing squad;

GK; Think, after years of issues with the starter stretching back when Reina lost his form Alisson is the perfect keeper for our needs. We paid what it took and got the best keeper in the world for this team. Adrian was a bit of a surprise out the blue but think we have finally got a good choice back up keeper which is again something we've struggled to have. With talent in the academy or on loan I think we are set for years to come.

CB; On paper we have the best collection of CBs anyone could want. VvD, Gomez, Matip and Lovren (in that order for me) is amazing level of choice. With emergency cover from Fabinho and the academy we have great options and quality. Unfortunately they aren't always available. I'm expecting Lovren to move on and a senior CB to come in. Don't think anyone in the academy will be ready when that happens unfortunately. So a CB, will it be a Klavan style place holder till an academy kid is ready or a real challenger to Gomez and Matip like you could argue Lovren would be if he was more reliable with his fitness?

FB; Got the best starters in the world. Alexander-Arnold and Robertson are both brilliant, young and fit. Probably going to/should continue playing 60-75% of our games as long as not over playing them. Neco Williams and to a lesser extent Larouchi are real prospects and able offer options but too raw to be relied upon yet. Milner is currently a strong option at LB and RB (where the need for him is less with Gomez also an option). Will he continue being an effective back up option here? Does he want to? Those are the questions for those positions and determine if we need a full back who is predominantly a LB option but also an emergency option at RB.

CM; At 6 with Fabinho, Henderson and Wijnaldum (maybe even Grujic, Chirivela and Lallana) we are definitely set. With box to box Henderson, Wijnaldum, Keita, Milner and possibly Grujic I think we are fine. For a more creative option we are looking at Ox, Keita, Lallana, maybe Jones (started that way in FA cup and was really good) along with out of the box options like Shaqiri, Minamino and Wilson that Klopp could use but maybe not likely, hard to tell with Klopp. Here there are a lot of fitness issues and questions over other options suitability, readiness and long term future here. If any CMs come in I expect it to be a more creative number 8 option, even if Wijnaldum did leave, think we would be fine in the deeper roles without him. Not sure I see anyone coming in unless it's too good a chance to turn down or Wijnaldum does leave (which I'm not expecting) but it could happen.

Wings; Like with the fullbacks we potentially have the best partnership in the world with two of the top 5 in the world. Them two each playing 60-75% of our games yet again covers a lot. Young options and possible options like Elliot, Jones and Wilson cover or offer cover a bit too. One consideration is will Klopp see Wilson as an option/ready to play here? And don't want young players having too much responsibility put on them when they are ready. Minamino is an option but seems like he is better for our central positions and Klopp mentioned his skills are a better fit there. That leaves Origi (sometimes an interesting option off the bench but less effective as a starter) and Shaqiri (not a perfect fit) along with players like Ox and Lallana (unconvincingly) playing out of position. So far Salah and Mane seem both tireless and indestructible and I think that makes us look a lot better than I personally think we actually are. I think Shaqiri and Lallana will be moving on. That would lead to an opening for either Wilson or a new player. A player like a Shaqiri or Minamino, just cover? Or an expensive established player as they would be able to get as much game time as Salah Mane? I'd go for the established top player option. I don't see the point of bringing someone in that doesn't improve us. We may as well stick with the likes of Shaqiri or Wlison otherwise.

CF; Firmino and Minamino is the perfect set up. Origi and Salah as our Plan B or when we play 4231 is great. Hopefully Brewster will be an option here soon after a loan or two. Maybe ready to take over if and when Origi goes? There will always be academy hopefuls needing the odd game in the cups too.

So maximum needs are CB (if Lovren goes), LB who can play RB (a 50/50 need for me), offensive/creative number 8 CM (if Wijnaldum goes) and a wide attacker who can play left side and maybe right too.

My choices might be to look at opportunities like Eriksen on a free if Wijnaldum goes or a Klavan style CB if Lovren goes as hopefully one or more of the kids will be ready soon, stick with Milner unless someone like Achraf Hakimi is available and then plow all our funds onto a real world class option up top.
Have you tried just enjoying the squad and players that we have? You always seem to talking about transfers and planning for the next window, inviting criticism by continually going over and over the same ground.

We just beat Everton with a bunch of kids, we just beat Spurs, we just beat José, we just made the best ever start to a league campaign....ever. We have a team full of amazing players, we have players who aren't as good but give everything on the pitch every game, yet I can't remember the last time you just posted about enjoying it.

Don't get me wrong, it has nothing to do with me what are where you post on here. It's just my impression that on a record breaking day, when we go 16 points clear, most people's brains don't immediately go to 'well okay, but where can we improve the squad'.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Have you tried just enjoying the squad and players that we have? You always seem to talking about transfers and planning for the next window, inviting criticism by continually going over and over the same ground.

We just beat Everton with a bunch of kids, we just beat Spurs, we just beat José, we just made the best ever start to a league campaign....ever. We have a team full of amazing players, we have players who aren't as good but give everything on the pitch every game, yet I can't remember the last time you just posted about enjoying it.

Don't get me wrong, it has nothing to do with me what are where you post on here. It's just my impression that on a record breaking day, when we go 16 points clear, most people's brains don't immediately go to 'well okay, but where can we improve the squad'.
A post I made before the game? In the "who would you buy" thread? In which I several times point out how great our squad is and how we've got multiple best in the world options and perfect depth/options in several places? I also end up suggesting that I would only add one player unless Lovren and/or Wijnaldum leave. Thought I'd actually been positive with my post.

Jah_Pool

Hey Dreamer, I like your suggestions but shouldn't we be looking to replace both Lallanna and Milner as both are the opposite side of thirty this summer? Henderson will be 30 in the summer, Gini in November. That midfield will be very old, very quickly. I would look to phase 2 out this summer and stagger 2 more the summers after that. The midfield is the engine of any team so we cant play our style of game with so many players in the twilight of their career.

I like the look of Nico Williams on the right so maybe in a year he can come in for TAA, but we must sign a backup LB to give Robertson a break. Larouci ain't ready. What about picking up a seasoned campaigner like D Rose or the young FBs(Aarons and Lewis) from Norwich when they go down

Sweeting

Hey Dreamer, I like your suggestions but shouldn't we be looking to replace both Lallanna and Milner as both are the opposite side of thirty this summer? Henderson will be 30 in the summer, Gini in November. That midfield will be very old, very quickly. I would look to phase 2 out this summer and stagger 2 more the summers after that. The midfield is the engine of any team so we cant play our style of game with so many players in the twilight of their career.

I like the look of Nico Williams on the right so maybe in a year he can come in for TAA, but we must sign a backup LB to give Robertson a break. Larouci ain't ready. What about picking up a seasoned campaigner like D Rose or the young FBs(Aarons and Lewis) from Norwich when they go down
Trying to replace those three in the next 18 months is massive overkill. Gini, Milner and Henderson are our three fittest players. Gini and Henderson will easily be playing at our level in 2022.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

I think you'd be jumping before you are pushed. If Klopp and the team don't think Milner has it in him (or the player doesn't want to) to be the cover for LB and RB I would sign someone. Or if the perfect option became available. I don't think we need a RB though, just a player who can play LB and hopefully offer emergency cover at RB but even if they can't we have Williams, Hoever, Gomez, Henderson, Fabinho and probably Ox too who could all play there for either a run of games or the odd game here and there. LB is where is see a need if Milner isn't doing it anymore otherwise we are fine.

On midfield its probably set for at least a couple of years. Lallana will probably move on this year but he's mostly needed up top if at all these days and the games he does play in midfield we don't actually HAVE to play him there. Probably similar with Milner a year or two later. We always have the likes of Jones and others in the academy able to play the odd games here and there. As I said if Wijnaldum does leave I'd probably look at bringing in a creative/offensive 8 as the options we have (good as they are) in Keita and Ox kerp having so many injury options. That might start your refreshment of the engine room I guess. But don't see it as a short or medium term need. Milner and Lallana successions will happen fluidly, Wijnaldum and Henderson would need replacing if they left but can't see that happening for awhile yet.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I think Klopp/Edwards are always thinking that if I’m honest. The amount of marginal gains Klopp has invested in - throw in coach for example just shows this isn’t a man who will ever sit still.

You also have to remember we scout 2-3 windows ahead, so whilst immediate squad changes isn’t needed, it certainly will be on the scouting walls of melwood.

Strengthening from a point of strength was how red nose kept Utd on top for so long.. It got to a point he’d simply go and buy the best player in the EPL outside of Liverpool/Utd - Weaken a rival and strengthen his own.

I think we 100% need better left back cover, having Milner injured when I saw Robbo go down last night I feared the worst.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I think Klopp/Edwards are always thinking that if I’m honest. The amount of marginal gains Klopp has invested in - throw in coach for example just shows this isn’t a man who will ever sit still.

You also have to remember we scout 2-3 windows ahead, so whilst immediate squad changes isn’t needed, it certainly will be on the scouting walls of melwood.

Strengthening from a point of strength was how red nose kept Utd on top for so long.. It got to a point he’d simply go and buy the best player in the EPL outside of Liverpool/Utd - Weaken a rival and strengthen his own.

I think we 100% need better left back cover, having Milner injured when I saw Robbo go down last night I feared the worst.
On left back I get what you are saying but we can't have unlimited options. After Robertson (best in the world), Milner (better than many realise), Gomez (at one point a prospect there), Henderson (can probably do similar at LB as RB) we still have promising kids like Larouchie and Lewis amongst others. I'd only bring in a player if Milner isn't playing there anymore.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
To a degree, but not for ever. Results are viewed over a 3 year period so you can have a big blow out in any one year as long as you accommodate that in the other years within the reporting period.
Why did i think it was a 5 year period? 3 seems awfully short. I mean, we may have 3 years not buying anyone then splashing out big one year but that means if someone else comes along the following 2 years and we bought them the last 3 years would put us over the limit even though we'd saved the first 3 years. It would actually work better if we bought big every other year if thats the case.

Btw if it was indeed an option using Nike i would be happy if all we buy is an Mbappe that has the bulk of his wages paid via Nike even if it meant not spending next year either (and its not like we've spent loads the last 2 years). Our attack would be sorted for a few years and as others have mentioned kids coming through or back from loan would cover most areas (even if it means a slight loss of quality using kids like Larouci if Millie gets too old as backup our attack would outweigh that small a loss)

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
It would actually work better if we bought big every other year if thats the case.

Hmmm interesting idea. Just using a real casual look at Transfermarkt for an idea on our spending;

2017/18 season a minus £19 million net spend.
2018/19 season a £127 million net spend.
2019/20 season so far a minus £20 million net spend.
2020/21 season another £120/130 million net spend possible?

With possible departures like Lovren, Grujic, Wijnaldum, Shaqiri, Wilson and Origi (not that I expect them all to leave) we could easily add over £100 million to that figure.

With our success, our frugal spending in past years, our smart business savvy increasing our revenue, very little need to bring many players in and the huge Nike deal I do struggle to see other peoples viewpoints when they think our spending resources are limited.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Hmmm interesting idea. Just using a real casual look at Transfermarkt for an idea on our spending;

2017/18 season a minus £19 million net spend.
2018/19 season a £127 million net spend.
2019/20 season so far a minus £20 million net spend.
2020/21 season another £120/130 million net spend possible?

With possible departures like Lovren, Grujic, Wijnaldum, Shaqiri, Wilson and Origi (not that I expect them all to leave) we could easily add over £100 million to that figure.

With our success, our frugal spending in past years, our smart business savvy increasing our revenue, very little need to bring many players in and the huge Nike deal I do struggle to see other peoples viewpoints when they think our spending resources are limited.
This is in line with what I've been told a few weeks back by a certain fish-avatared former poster.

This coming summer I think our main obstacles to bringing in particular players will be the quality of the squad and Klopp's ethos about developing from within, rather than finance. With very few exceptions I think we'd be able to afford most available players.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
This is in line with what I've been told a few weeks back by a certain fish-avatared former poster.

This coming summer I think our main obstacles to bringing in particular players will be the quality of the squad and Klopp's ethos about developing from within, rather than finance. With very few exceptions I think we'd be able to afford most available players.
Considering I'd be surprised by more than 2 or 3 recruits even if all those possible departures happened we could probably afford any player on the planet we wanted. We aren't going to want many players who would cost £100 million or more. Maybe Sancho? Definitely Mbappe if we could get him. Who else? If we did have £120 million net to spend next summer I think signing Mbappe or both Havertz and Sancho would be the only realistic way we could spend it all. Klopp won't spend for the sake of it though regardless of how much could be available. But we know they plan multiple windows in advance. We could be coming to the end of the first year of a two year plan that creates the worlds first 100% perfect squad.