Who would you buy?

Chewbazza

Ad-free Member
Exploring the areas on the pitch and whether we can still improve this amazing squad;

GK; Think, after years of issues with the starter stretching back when Reina lost his form Alisson is the perfect keeper for our needs. We paid what it took and got the best keeper in the world for this team. Adrian was a bit of a surprise out the blue but think we have finally got a good choice back up keeper which is again something we've struggled to have. With talent in the academy or on loan I think we are set for years to come.

CB; On paper we have the best collection of CBs anyone could want. VvD, Gomez, Matip and Lovren (in that order for me) is amazing level of choice. With emergency cover from Fabinho and the academy we have great options and quality. Unfortunately they aren't always available. I'm expecting Lovren to move on and a senior CB to come in. Don't think anyone in the academy will be ready when that happens unfortunately. So a CB, will it be a Klavan style place holder till an academy kid is ready or a real challenger to Gomez and Matip like you could argue Lovren would be if he was more reliable with his fitness?

FB; Got the best starters in the world. Alexander-Arnold and Robertson are both brilliant, young and fit. Probably going to/should continue playing 60-75% of our games as long as not over playing them. Neco Williams and to a lesser extent Larouchi are real prospects and able offer options but too raw to be relied upon yet. Milner is currently a strong option at LB and RB (where the need for him is less with Gomez also an option). Will he continue being an effective back up option here? Does he want to? Those are the questions for those positions and determine if we need a full back who is predominantly a LB option but also an emergency option at RB.

CM; At 6 with Fabinho, Henderson and Wijnaldum (maybe even Grujic, Chirivela and Lallana) we are definitely set. With box to box Henderson, Wijnaldum, Keita, Milner and possibly Grujic I think we are fine. For a more creative option we are looking at Ox, Keita, Lallana, maybe Jones (started that way in FA cup and was really good) along with out of the box options like Shaqiri, Minamino and Wilson that Klopp could use but maybe not likely, hard to tell with Klopp. Here there are a lot of fitness issues and questions over other options suitability, readiness and long term future here. If any CMs come in I expect it to be a more creative number 8 option, even if Wijnaldum did leave, think we would be fine in the deeper roles without him. Not sure I see anyone coming in unless it's too good a chance to turn down or Wijnaldum does leave (which I'm not expecting) but it could happen.

Wings; Like with the fullbacks we potentially have the best partnership in the world with two of the top 5 in the world. Them two each playing 60-75% of our games yet again covers a lot. Young options and possible options like Elliot, Jones and Wilson cover or offer cover a bit too. One consideration is will Klopp see Wilson as an option/ready to play here? And don't want young players having too much responsibility put on them when they are ready. Minamino is an option but seems like he is better for our central positions and Klopp mentioned his skills are a better fit there. That leaves Origi (sometimes an interesting option off the bench but less effective as a starter) and Shaqiri (not a perfect fit) along with players like Ox and Lallana (unconvincingly) playing out of position. So far Salah and Mane seem both tireless and indestructible and I think that makes us look a lot better than I personally think we actually are. I think Shaqiri and Lallana will be moving on. That would lead to an opening for either Wilson or a new player. A player like a Shaqiri or Minamino, just cover? Or an expensive established player as they would be able to get as much game time as Salah Mane? I'd go for the established top player option. I don't see the point of bringing someone in that doesn't improve us. We may as well stick with the likes of Shaqiri or Wlison otherwise.

CF; Firmino and Minamino is the perfect set up. Origi and Salah as our Plan B or when we play 4231 is great. Hopefully Brewster will be an option here soon after a loan or two. Maybe ready to take over if and when Origi goes? There will always be academy hopefuls needing the odd game in the cups too.

So maximum needs are CB (if Lovren goes), LB who can play RB (a 50/50 need for me), offensive/creative number 8 CM (if Wijnaldum goes) and a wide attacker who can play left side and maybe right too.

My choices might be to look at opportunities like Eriksen on a free if Wijnaldum goes or a Klavan style CB if Lovren goes as hopefully one or more of the kids will be ready soon, stick with Milner unless someone like Achraf Hakimi is available and then plow all our funds onto a real world class option up top.
Have you tried just enjoying the squad and players that we have? You always seem to talking about transfers and planning for the next window, inviting criticism by continually going over and over the same ground.

We just beat Everton with a bunch of kids, we just beat Spurs, we just beat José, we just made the best ever start to a league campaign....ever. We have a team full of amazing players, we have players who aren't as good but give everything on the pitch every game, yet I can't remember the last time you just posted about enjoying it.

Don't get me wrong, it has nothing to do with me what are where you post on here. It's just my impression that on a record breaking day, when we go 16 points clear, most people's brains don't immediately go to 'well okay, but where can we improve the squad'.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Have you tried just enjoying the squad and players that we have? You always seem to talking about transfers and planning for the next window, inviting criticism by continually going over and over the same ground.

We just beat Everton with a bunch of kids, we just beat Spurs, we just beat José, we just made the best ever start to a league campaign....ever. We have a team full of amazing players, we have players who aren't as good but give everything on the pitch every game, yet I can't remember the last time you just posted about enjoying it.

Don't get me wrong, it has nothing to do with me what are where you post on here. It's just my impression that on a record breaking day, when we go 16 points clear, most people's brains don't immediately go to 'well okay, but where can we improve the squad'.
A post I made before the game? In the "who would you buy" thread? In which I several times point out how great our squad is and how we've got multiple best in the world options and perfect depth/options in several places? I also end up suggesting that I would only add one player unless Lovren and/or Wijnaldum leave. Thought I'd actually been positive with my post.

Jah_Pool

Exploring the areas on the pitch and whether we can still improve this amazing squad;

GK; Think, after years of issues with the starter stretching back when Reina lost his form Alisson is the perfect keeper for our needs. We paid what it took and got the best keeper in the world for this team. Adrian was a bit of a surprise out the blue but think we have finally got a good choice back up keeper which is again something we've struggled to have. With talent in the academy or on loan I think we are set for years to come.

CB; On paper we have the best collection of CBs anyone could want. VvD, Gomez, Matip and Lovren (in that order for me) is amazing level of choice. With emergency cover from Fabinho and the academy we have great options and quality. Unfortunately they aren't always available. I'm expecting Lovren to move on and a senior CB to come in. Don't think anyone in the academy will be ready when that happens unfortunately. So a CB, will it be a Klavan style place holder till an academy kid is ready or a real challenger to Gomez and Matip like you could argue Lovren would be if he was more reliable with his fitness?

FB; Got the best starters in the world. Alexander-Arnold and Robertson are both brilliant, young and fit. Probably going to/should continue playing 60-75% of our games as long as not over playing them. Neco Williams and to a lesser extent Larouchi are real prospects and able offer options but too raw to be relied upon yet. Milner is currently a strong option at LB and RB (where the need for him is less with Gomez also an option). Will he continue being an effective back up option here? Does he want to? Those are the questions for those positions and determine if we need a full back who is predominantly a LB option but also an emergency option at RB.

CM; At 6 with Fabinho, Henderson and Wijnaldum (maybe even Grujic, Chirivela and Lallana) we are definitely set. With box to box Henderson, Wijnaldum, Keita, Milner and possibly Grujic I think we are fine. For a more creative option we are looking at Ox, Keita, Lallana, maybe Jones (started that way in FA cup and was really good) along with out of the box options like Shaqiri, Minamino and Wilson that Klopp could use but maybe not likely, hard to tell with Klopp. Here there are a lot of fitness issues and questions over other options suitability, readiness and long term future here. If any CMs come in I expect it to be a more creative number 8 option, even if Wijnaldum did leave, think we would be fine in the deeper roles without him. Not sure I see anyone coming in unless it's too good a chance to turn down or Wijnaldum does leave (which I'm not expecting) but it could happen.

Wings; Like with the fullbacks we potentially have the best partnership in the world with two of the top 5 in the world. Them two each playing 60-75% of our games yet again covers a lot. Young options and possible options like Elliot, Jones and Wilson cover or offer cover a bit too. One consideration is will Klopp see Wilson as an option/ready to play here? And don't want young players having too much responsibility put on them when they are ready. Minamino is an option but seems like he is better for our central positions and Klopp mentioned his skills are a better fit there. That leaves Origi (sometimes an interesting option off the bench but less effective as a starter) and Shaqiri (not a perfect fit) along with players like Ox and Lallana (unconvincingly) playing out of position. So far Salah and Mane seem both tireless and indestructible and I think that makes us look a lot better than I personally think we actually are. I think Shaqiri and Lallana will be moving on. That would lead to an opening for either Wilson or a new player. A player like a Shaqiri or Minamino, just cover? Or an expensive established player as they would be able to get as much game time as Salah Mane? I'd go for the established top player option. I don't see the point of bringing someone in that doesn't improve us. We may as well stick with the likes of Shaqiri or Wlison otherwise.

CF; Firmino and Minamino is the perfect set up. Origi and Salah as our Plan B or when we play 4231 is great. Hopefully Brewster will be an option here soon after a loan or two. Maybe ready to take over if and when Origi goes? There will always be academy hopefuls needing the odd game in the cups too.

So maximum needs are CB (if Lovren goes), LB who can play RB (a 50/50 need for me), offensive/creative number 8 CM (if Wijnaldum goes) and a wide attacker who can play left side and maybe right too.

My choices might be to look at opportunities like Eriksen on a free if Wijnaldum goes or a Klavan style CB if Lovren goes as hopefully one or more of the kids will be ready soon, stick with Milner unless someone like Achraf Hakimi is available and then plow all our funds onto a real world class option up top.
Hey Dreamer, I like your suggestions but shouldn't we be looking to replace both Lallanna and Milner as both are the opposite side of thirty this summer? Henderson will be 30 in the summer, Gini in November. That midfield will be very old, very quickly. I would look to phase 2 out this summer and stagger 2 more the summers after that. The midfield is the engine of any team so we cant play our style of game with so many players in the twilight of their career.

I like the look of Nico Williams on the right so maybe in a year he can come in for TAA, but we must sign a backup LB to give Robertson a break. Larouci ain't ready. What about picking up a seasoned campaigner like D Rose or the young FBs(Aarons and Lewis) from Norwich when they go down

Sweeting

Hey Dreamer, I like your suggestions but shouldn't we be looking to replace both Lallanna and Milner as both are the opposite side of thirty this summer? Henderson will be 30 in the summer, Gini in November. That midfield will be very old, very quickly. I would look to phase 2 out this summer and stagger 2 more the summers after that. The midfield is the engine of any team so we cant play our style of game with so many players in the twilight of their career.

I like the look of Nico Williams on the right so maybe in a year he can come in for TAA, but we must sign a backup LB to give Robertson a break. Larouci ain't ready. What about picking up a seasoned campaigner like D Rose or the young FBs(Aarons and Lewis) from Norwich when they go down
Trying to replace those three in the next 18 months is massive overkill. Gini, Milner and Henderson are our three fittest players. Gini and Henderson will easily be playing at our level in 2022.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

I think you'd be jumping before you are pushed. If Klopp and the team don't think Milner has it in him (or the player doesn't want to) to be the cover for LB and RB I would sign someone. Or if the perfect option became available. I don't think we need a RB though, just a player who can play LB and hopefully offer emergency cover at RB but even if they can't we have Williams, Hoever, Gomez, Henderson, Fabinho and probably Ox too who could all play there for either a run of games or the odd game here and there. LB is where is see a need if Milner isn't doing it anymore otherwise we are fine.

On midfield its probably set for at least a couple of years. Lallana will probably move on this year but he's mostly needed up top if at all these days and the games he does play in midfield we don't actually HAVE to play him there. Probably similar with Milner a year or two later. We always have the likes of Jones and others in the academy able to play the odd games here and there. As I said if Wijnaldum does leave I'd probably look at bringing in a creative/offensive 8 as the options we have (good as they are) in Keita and Ox kerp having so many injury options. That might start your refreshment of the engine room I guess. But don't see it as a short or medium term need. Milner and Lallana successions will happen fluidly, Wijnaldum and Henderson would need replacing if they left but can't see that happening for awhile yet.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I think Klopp/Edwards are always thinking that if I’m honest. The amount of marginal gains Klopp has invested in - throw in coach for example just shows this isn’t a man who will ever sit still.

You also have to remember we scout 2-3 windows ahead, so whilst immediate squad changes isn’t needed, it certainly will be on the scouting walls of melwood.

Strengthening from a point of strength was how red nose kept Utd on top for so long.. It got to a point he’d simply go and buy the best player in the EPL outside of Liverpool/Utd - Weaken a rival and strengthen his own.

I think we 100% need better left back cover, having Milner injured when I saw Robbo go down last night I feared the worst.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I think Klopp/Edwards are always thinking that if I’m honest. The amount of marginal gains Klopp has invested in - throw in coach for example just shows this isn’t a man who will ever sit still.

You also have to remember we scout 2-3 windows ahead, so whilst immediate squad changes isn’t needed, it certainly will be on the scouting walls of melwood.

Strengthening from a point of strength was how red nose kept Utd on top for so long.. It got to a point he’d simply go and buy the best player in the EPL outside of Liverpool/Utd - Weaken a rival and strengthen his own.

I think we 100% need better left back cover, having Milner injured when I saw Robbo go down last night I feared the worst.
On left back I get what you are saying but we can't have unlimited options. After Robertson (best in the world), Milner (better than many realise), Gomez (at one point a prospect there), Henderson (can probably do similar at LB as RB) we still have promising kids like Larouchie and Lewis amongst others. I'd only bring in a player if Milner isn't playing there anymore.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
To a degree, but not for ever. Results are viewed over a 3 year period so you can have a big blow out in any one year as long as you accommodate that in the other years within the reporting period.
Why did i think it was a 5 year period? 3 seems awfully short. I mean, we may have 3 years not buying anyone then splashing out big one year but that means if someone else comes along the following 2 years and we bought them the last 3 years would put us over the limit even though we'd saved the first 3 years. It would actually work better if we bought big every other year if thats the case.

Btw if it was indeed an option using Nike i would be happy if all we buy is an Mbappe that has the bulk of his wages paid via Nike even if it meant not spending next year either (and its not like we've spent loads the last 2 years). Our attack would be sorted for a few years and as others have mentioned kids coming through or back from loan would cover most areas (even if it means a slight loss of quality using kids like Larouci if Millie gets too old as backup our attack would outweigh that small a loss)

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
It would actually work better if we bought big every other year if thats the case.

Hmmm interesting idea. Just using a real casual look at Transfermarkt for an idea on our spending;

2017/18 season a minus £19 million net spend.
2018/19 season a £127 million net spend.
2019/20 season so far a minus £20 million net spend.
2020/21 season another £120/130 million net spend possible?

With possible departures like Lovren, Grujic, Wijnaldum, Shaqiri, Wilson and Origi (not that I expect them all to leave) we could easily add over £100 million to that figure.

With our success, our frugal spending in past years, our smart business savvy increasing our revenue, very little need to bring many players in and the huge Nike deal I do struggle to see other peoples viewpoints when they think our spending resources are limited.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Hmmm interesting idea. Just using a real casual look at Transfermarkt for an idea on our spending;

With possible departures like Lovren, Grujic, Wijnaldum, Shaqiri, Wilson and Origi (not that I expect them all to leave) we could easily add over £100 million to that figure.

With our success, our frugal spending in past years, our smart business savvy increasing our revenue, very little need to bring many players in and the huge Nike deal I do struggle to see other peoples viewpoints when they think our spending resources are limited.
This is in line with what I've been told a few weeks back by a certain fish-avatared former poster.

This coming summer I think our main obstacles to bringing in particular players will be the quality of the squad and Klopp's ethos about developing from within, rather than finance. With very few exceptions I think we'd be able to afford most available players.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
This is in line with what I've been told a few weeks back by a certain fish-avatared former poster.

This coming summer I think our main obstacles to bringing in particular players will be the quality of the squad and Klopp's ethos about developing from within, rather than finance. With very few exceptions I think we'd be able to afford most available players.
Considering I'd be surprised by more than 2 or 3 recruits even if all those possible departures happened we could probably afford any player on the planet we wanted. We aren't going to want many players who would cost £100 million or more. Maybe Sancho? Definitely Mbappe if we could get him. Who else? If we did have £120 million net to spend next summer I think signing Mbappe or both Havertz and Sancho would be the only realistic way we could spend it all. Klopp won't spend for the sake of it though regardless of how much could be available. But we know they plan multiple windows in advance. We could be coming to the end of the first year of a two year plan that creates the worlds first 100% perfect squad.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
I don’t think it’s that resources are limited (within reason) - I think if Klopp felt to need to spend £200m this summer he could. It’s more ways of working and ethos, and how Klopp approaches transfers (although it’s not a reasonable expectation that prize money is available to reinvested in the squad - from what I understand the players are heavily incentivised, and the biggest chunk of prize money ends up as player bonuses).

I think we have to be ready for the club to do nothing this summer. Last year it wasn’t even a month since we’d won the European Cup and fans were getting impatient for a big signing - but look where we are now.

Klopp could look at the squad, get everyone still to commit - like Lallana, Wijnaldum, Lovren etc - tied down to new deals and go again. It might be that Klopp thinks players like Elliot, Williams, Jones, Larouci and Hoever are ready (I’d agree on the first three).

In that situation, I don’t think I’d be bothered. If this squad delivers its potential this year, then we’re still in a great position.

Personally, I would still be looking to add some full back cover, and consolidate Matip, Lovren, Lallana and Shaqiri into a reliably fit defender and midfielder. But unless someone is leaving, I can’t really look beyond that.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I don’t think it’s that resources are limited (within reason) - I think if Klopp felt to need to spend £200m this summer he could. It’s more ways of working and ethos, and how Klopp approaches transfers (although it’s not a reasonable expectation that prize money is available to reinvested in the squad - from what I understand the players are heavily incentivised, and the biggest chunk of prize money ends up as player bonuses).

I think we have to be ready for the club to do nothing this summer. Last year it wasn’t even a month since we’d won the European Cup and fans were getting impatient for a big signing - but look where we are now.

Klopp could look at the squad, get everyone still to commit - like Lallana, Wijnaldum, Lovren etc - tied down to new deals and go again. It might be that Klopp thinks players like Elliot, Williams, Jones, Larouci and Hoever are ready (I’d agree on the first three).

In that situation, I don’t think I’d be bothered. If this squad delivers its potential this year, then we’re still in a great position.

Personally, I would still be looking to add some full back cover, and consolidate Matip, Lovren, Lallana and Shaqiri into a reliably fit defender and midfielder. But unless someone is leaving, I can’t really look beyond that.
Yeah Klopp may spend nothing, even if he wants to if he can't land the player/players he wants he sticks with what he has. Just think there is potential there to spend whatever we could realistically want to. If the RIGHT players are available. Think there will be departures though. There will always be departures. For a start I think Shaqiri and Lallana are practically half way out the door with no intention of fighting against that process.

RedSeven

On the one road
Yeah Klopp may spend nothing, even if he wants to if he can't land the player/players he wants he sticks with what he has. Just think there is potential there to spend whatever we could realistically want to. If the RIGHT players are available. Think there will be departures though. There will always be departures. For a start I think Shaqiri and Lallana are practically half way out the door with no intention of fighting against that process.
I think Jones and Minamino take both those spots once the other 2 have left.We'll only buy in other areas for the same reason,for example Lovren or Wijnaldum leave although not too sure at LB where I think we could do with cover beyond Milner, maybe Larouci might be tried out a little more to see if he fits.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I think Jones and Minamino take both those spots once the other 2 have left.We'll only buy in other areas for the same reason,for example Lovren or Wijnaldum leave although not too sure at LB where I think we could do with cover beyond Milner, maybe Larouci might be tried out a little more to see if he fits.
Jones was already in the squad and Minamino has taken the spot Brewster was in before his loan. The pecking order might change but the numbers are already accounted for.

Richard88

Really enjoying the discussion in the last dozen or so posts, thanks.

To weigh in, I don't think it's necessarily needed in the immediate future for our squad to add big players in the short term. However, I agree with other posters sentiments that Klopp and Edwards will be trying to set up the team well for the future, and adding to the squad while in a position of strength rather than weakness. I imagine that it makes Edwards' job in negotiation that much easier when we don't NEED a player in a certain position, as compared to when we signed Van Dijk and Allison for example, when the entire world and their dog knew that we were desperate for a big signing in both of those areas.

Waiting until players are past their peak years before adding someone is quite risky. I think Klopp and Edwards will be more likely to want to add players at least a year ahead of when they expect a replacement to actually be needed, as that will ensure that Klopp has time to work with a player before the player being replaced actually leaves. In the unlikely eventuality that a signing doesn't work out there's also still time to rectify the situation, rather than being overly reliant on that new player right from the start.

Based on the rumours and news, in would not surprise me if the following moves were made this summer:

- Lovren sold, with 12 months on his contract. Replaced by young English CB (eg. Ben White).
- No LB signed, as Milner will continue to be the backup there.
- If Wijnaldum leaves, a top young CM is signed - i.e. one of Aouar or Havertz.
- Shaqiri leaves for more gametime.
- Fringe squad players Grujic and Wilson are sold to finance other signings.
- Brewster gets a season-long loan to a bottom half PL club.
- Another quality winger is signed, most likely Sancho.

That would see us add 3 players in the summer for the first team, which seems like a reasonable amount to expect compared to previous seasons under Klopp.

-------------------- Alisson -----------------------
-------------------- Adrian ------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------
Trent ------ Gomez --- Van Dijk ---- Robertson
Neco ------ White ----- Matip ----------- Milner
----------------------------------------------------
--------------------- Fabinho ---------------------
------------------- Henderson --------------------
-------- Keita ------ Wijnaldum/Havertz/Aouar -
--------- Ox ----------------- Jones --------------
Salah ------------ Firmino ----------------- Mané
Sancho -------- Minamino ----------------- Origi
Elliott

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Think I'm expecting more like;

GK; Alisson, Adrian, Kelleher/Grabara (one on loan).

CB; VvD, Gomez, Matip, Lovren/cheap or free Klavan style purchase, Hoever, SvDB.

FB; Alexander-Arnold, Robertson, Milner, Williams, Larouci, Hoever.

CM; Henderson, Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Ox, Keita, Jones, Milner, further academy options.

Wings; Salah, Mane, A real top end signing, Elliot, Minamino, Origi, Ox.

CF; Firmino, Minamino, Origi, Mane, Salah.

Literally one signing if Lovren stays but a fair few out the door. Leaves loads of room for Elliot, Jones, Williams and Hoever and that too.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member

Id be happy with the spending big every other year but im hoping we dont lose some of those players. In fact id happily keep all of them as they all have a place in our squad though i havent seen much of Grujic and think we will move on Wilson.

It probably is.
Just checked and you were right, 3 years. No idea where i got 5 years from. Btw the link i got this from was where we were being investigated from the 2011-2014 seasons because of losses posted both in 2011-12 and 12-13. I really think with our extra income from prize money etc though that we'll never worry about ffp again, Klopp just doesnt waste any money

RedSeven

On the one road
Jones was already in the squad and Minamino has taken the spot Brewster was in before his loan. The pecking order might change but the numbers are already accounted for.
Long story short, I don't see us buying much this summer.

The bolded is what was meant, shaq and lallana positions in the squad, which is ahead of Jones and brewster/minamino will be allotted to the latter next season. We may see others from the youths come into the squad but further down the pecking order although if brewster, Wilson or grujic come back they may fill slots.

Spitfire

Resident Realist
As good as that front 3 are next season they will all be 28/29 respectively. They have a shelf life unfortunately - so I think an addition to add competition and potentially freshen it up would be a good thing.

As others have noted to do it now while they are still in their prime is better than waiting until it is too late.
I'd also be worried medium term about the thought of having to replace more than one of them in a season.........one big signing this year another next etc would be much more palatable.

As for further back it really depends on Klopp and how he sees his depth.....Grujic/Wilson etc are the real conundrums.......

Richard88

As good as that front 3 are next season they will all be 28/29 respectively. They have a shelf life unfortunately - so I think an addition to add competition and potentially freshen it up would be a good thing.

As others have noted to do it now while they are still in their prime is better than waiting until it is too late.
I'd also be worried medium term about the thought of having to replace more than one of them in a season.........one big signing this year another next etc would be much more palatable.

As for further back it really depends on Klopp and how he sees his depth.....Grujic/Wilson etc are the real conundrums.......
That's a very good point. All of the front 3 are soon in their 30's, so it makes sense to stagger the replacement signings over a couple of seasons, rather than replacing them all at once. That ensures that there's a gradual transition off the pitch, and also means that we are able to bring players in at reasonable prices when they are available, rather than having to force big signings out of desperation because of poor succession planning.

Reactions: jem

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I agree with the general principle of not wanting to replace those lads all at once but our front 3 are only 27, 27 and 28. There's absolutely no rush whatsoever to get them replaced due to age, you only have to look around Europe's top clubs or top goalscorers to see why.

Messi
Suarez
Benzema
Bale
Costa
Cavani
Ronaldo
Higuain
Reus
Lewadowski
Aguero
Vardy
Aubemeyang
Mertens
Dzeko
etc etc

All of those are over 30. Granted, a few aren't as good as they used to be, but plenty of them are still banging in the goals. We've built a great side, no need to think about dismantling it just yet. The ages of our front 3 give us 4 or 5 years to give us opportunity to find great deals in the market as well as seeing how the players already on our books develop. It's a perfect situation to be in.

Jah_Pool

Trying to replace those three in the next 18 months is massive overkill. Gini, Milner and Henderson are our three fittest players. Gini and Henderson will easily be playing at our level in 2022.
We have to plan for the future while we're on top, AF kept the scum on top by knowing when to move players on. From what I've read, Milner wants a 2 year contract at 33. Would that make sound business sense? I don't know. For the player, yes, for the club, No, I would say. Gini from what I've read wants a nice lucrative contract which may be his last. Both Gini and Hugo are going to be aging at the same time, which one are we looking to keep into their thirties in a midfield that should be the engine of your team? Anyways those are future thoughts for another time.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
Havertz will be the only big signing for us, and the more I say it, the more likely it's going to happen (isn't that how it works?). I have always wanted a taller, quicker, stronger, and slightly more skillful and versatile version of David Silva in our squad.

Any other signings will be solid squad players. I dont think Wilson will get a chance, just too much of a gap between him and current squad players. I think Grujic has a very, very good chance of staying, definitely more than Wilson. I think we will end of with a net spend of about 60m.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Havertz will be the only big signing for us, and the more I say it, the more likely it's going to happen (isn't that how it works?). I have always wanted a taller, quicker, stronger, and slightly more skillful and versatile version of David Silva in our squad.

Any other signings will be solid squad players. I dont think Wilson will get a chance, just too much of a gap between him and current squad players. I think Grujic has a very, very good chance of staying, definitely more than Wilson. I think we will end of with a net spend of about 60m.
I tend to agree, I do wonder if we got quoted a silly price for Sancho, thought no thanks and will go for Minamino (competition for up front) and Havertz (Lallana/Milner replacement in midfield).

One of the Liverpool journo’s said in summer gone that we were looking at a player similar - Aouar I think it was.

Havertz
Ben White (or another young central defender)
Lewis or Aarons (or another young left back).

Would be an excellent summer.

Strange one for here, but does anyone know what the impact of Brexit will be? Mainly about do we need to sign British (or more than typical).

Richard88

I agree with the general principle of not wanting to replace those lads all at once but our front 3 are only 27, 27 and 28. There's absolutely no rush whatsoever to get them replaced due to age, you only have to look around Europe's top clubs or top goalscorers to see why.

Messi
Suarez
Benzema
Bale
Costa
Cavani
Ronaldo
Higuain
Reus
Lewadowski
Aguero
Vardy
Aubemeyang
Mertens
Dzeko
etc etc

All of those are over 30. Granted, a few aren't as good as they used to be, but plenty of them are still banging in the goals. We've built a great side, no need to think about dismantling it just yet. The ages of our front 3 give us 4 or 5 years to give us opportunity to find great deals in the market as well as seeing how the players already on our books develop. It's a perfect situation to be in.
You're right that we do have around 4 years to find replacements before the front 3 start to decline. That said, it's important to remember that top players aren't available every summer, certainly not those in the age bracket and quality of Sancho. The last time that happened was when Leroy Sané was available in 2016 (Dembele and João Felix to lesser extents in 2017 and 2019 respectively). Can we pass up he opportunity to sign a homegrown player like Sancho in the hope that we can find as good a player in the 2-3 years after that?

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Can we pass up he opportunity to sign a homegrown player like Sancho in the hope that we can find as good a player in the 2-3 years after that?
Our success is not contingent on finding the next supposed 'generational' talent, as our current squad indicates.

In the next 2-3 years there will be ample opportunity to sign extremely good footballers, it's not Sancho or bust.

Richard88

Our success is not contingent on finding the next supposed 'generational' talent, as our current squad indicates.

In the next 2-3 years there will be ample opportunity to sign extremely good footballers, it's not Sancho or bust.
Of course it's not Sancho or bust. And like you say the team is not dependent on one player like in the Suarez days.

I guess it comes down to how much Klopp and Edwards will value him relative to alternatives. Time will tell.