• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Who would you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Looks like he is on his way to PSV for £7m. I'd be happy to step in with a slightly higher offer, he's an ideal back up in my books.
Trying to figure out what Palace are thinking here.

Sweeting

Trying to figure out what Palace are thinking here.
I can only think that they have decided to switch the attacking side of their defence. They are on the verge of loaning in Walker-Peters, who is an attacking wing back (albeit a fairly average one) and he'll probably expect to be ahead of Kelly and Ward in the pecking order.

Meanwhile Riedewald has come in at LB in recent games and done a good job but he isn't at all attacking.

So maybe they'll now have Zaha attack on the left, with Riedewald sitting in as a defensive full back and they'll have Walker-Peters push on from RB with one of the midfielders covering his space a bit more. (Instead of having Zaha and van Aanholt attacking down the same side).

Apart from that it doesn't make too much sense to me.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
[...]
Meanwhile Riedewald has come in at LB in recent games and done a good job but he isn't at all attacking.
[...]
Ah, cheers. Was looking at their squad-by-position on Transfermarkt trying to figure out what left-back they have in the squad with v.Aanholt leaving and couldn't find one. Should have looked at their recent lineups.

Zoran

He is, but playing more as a left winger or left central midfielder tucked inside.

Van Aanholt was interesting to me when he was at Sunderland... but that was also a long time ago and there are probably good reasons why nobody of the top tier went back for him. He'd probably be best playing as LWB in a 3/5 at the back system.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
He is, but playing more as a left winger or left central midfielder tucked inside.

Van Aanholt was interesting to me when he was at Sunderland... but that was also a long time ago and there are probably good reasons why nobody of the top tier went back for him. He'd probably be best playing as LWB in a 3/5 at the back system.
He always seemed to end up picking up red cards at Sunderland. Dont know if he has continued that at Palace.

I wonder if it is purely a money decision. PResumably with AFCON moving next season, They wont get an offer for Zaha that they would find acceptable so need to raise funds from elsewhere in the squad?

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I can only think that they have decided to switch the attacking side of their defence. They are on the verge of loaning in Walker-Peters, who is an attacking wing back (albeit a fairly average one) and he'll probably expect to be ahead of Kelly and Ward in the pecking order.

So maybe they'll now have Zaha attack on the left, with Riedewald sitting in as a defensive full back and they'll have Walker-Peters push on from RB with one of the midfielders covering his space a bit more. (Instead of having Zaha and van Aanholt attacking down the same side).

Apart from that it doesn't make too much sense to me.
Well one is English one isn't.. Roy loves his English players.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
They are on the verge of loaning in Walker-Peters, who is an attacking wing back (albeit a fairly average one) and he'll probably expect to be ahead of Kelly and Ward in the pecking order.
:oops:

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Last summer I wanted to sign that Fernandes who has just signed for M.U.
This winter I would have liked Werner as I believe we need another top class goal scorer. I tend to agree that a left back would help. We seem pretty well set up in MF.

nikz200

So now that Sander Berge has joined Sheffield, a legitimate player who i thought would suit us well is off the board. Preferably would like us to look into signing 1.Kai Havertz, 2. Sandro Tonali, 3. Diego Carlos, 4.Max Aarons, 5. Jack Grealish. The reason being i think a combination amongst these 5 players will bolster our squad while being big enough names to help propel the team forward. Seeing our history of developing players we would go a long way in getting these types of players all at ages where they haven't reached their peak yet.

If your wondering if those types of transfers have worked in our favour, since 2014-2015 they did a statical analysis about which is the best prem signing in terms of value increase

THE BEST
1. Andy Robertson, Hull City to Liverpool, 2017 -- Fee paid: €9m (Current value, per 21st club: €98m)
2. Dele Alli, MK Dons to Spurs, 2015 -- Fee: €6.6m (Value: €63m)
3. Georginio Wijnaldum, Newcastle to Liverpool, 2016 -- Fee: €20m (Value: €67m)
4. Mohamed Salah, Roma to Liverpool, 2017 -- Fee: €42m (Value: €119m)
5. Ricardo Pereira, Porto to Leicester, 2018 -- Fee: €22m (Value: €29m)

The worst transfers
1. Michy Batshuayi, Marseille to Chelsea, 2016 -- Fee: €39m (Current value, per 21st Club: €10m)
2. Eric Bailly, Villarreal to Manchester United, 2016 -- Fee: €38m (Value: €10m)
3. Ben Gibson, Middlesbrough to Burnley, 2018 -- Fee: €15m (Value: €1.4m)
4. Oumar Niasse, Lokomotiv Moscow to Everton, 2016 -- Fee: €18m (Value: €2.7m)
5. Kelechi Iheanacho, Manchester City to Leicester, 2017 -- Fee: €28m (Value: €9.1m)

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
So now that Sander Berge has joined Sheffield, a legitimate player who i thought would suit us well is off the board. Preferably would like us to look into signing 1.Kai Havertz, 2. Sandro Tonali, 3. Diego Carlos, 4.Max Aarons, 5. Jack Grealish. The reason being i think a combination amongst these 5 players will bolster our squad while being big enough names to help propel the team forward. Seeing our history of developing players we would go a long way in getting these types of players all at ages where they haven't reached their peak yet.

If your wondering if those types of transfers have worked in our favour, since 2014-2015 they did a statical analysis about which is the best prem signing in terms of value increase

THE BEST
1. Andy Robertson, Hull City to Liverpool, 2017 -- Fee paid: €9m (Current value, per 21st club: €98m)
2. Dele Alli, MK Dons to Spurs, 2015 -- Fee: €6.6m (Value: €63m)
3. Georginio Wijnaldum, Newcastle to Liverpool, 2016 -- Fee: €20m (Value: €67m)
4. Mohamed Salah, Roma to Liverpool, 2017 -- Fee: €42m (Value: €119m)
5. Ricardo Pereira, Porto to Leicester, 2018 -- Fee: €22m (Value: €29m)

The worst transfers
1. Michy Batshuayi, Marseille to Chelsea, 2016 -- Fee: €39m (Current value, per 21st Club: €10m)
2. Eric Bailly, Villarreal to Manchester United, 2016 -- Fee: €38m (Value: €10m)
3. Ben Gibson, Middlesbrough to Burnley, 2018 -- Fee: €15m (Value: €1.4m)
4. Oumar Niasse, Lokomotiv Moscow to Everton, 2016 -- Fee: €18m (Value: €2.7m)
5. Kelechi Iheanacho, Manchester City to Leicester, 2017 -- Fee: €28m (Value: €9.1m)

No Sadio?

nikz200

No Sadio?
"According to 21st Club, Sterling is the best player other than Van Dijk to transfer to a Premier League team since then. Liverpool made up for that loss by adding numbers three through six: Robertson, Alisson, Salah and Sadio Mane, in that order. Wijnaldum (10th), Firmino (13), and Fabinho (18) all rank in the top 20, too."

Mane is ranked no 6 in that list

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
What a joke, Mane is a FAR better player than the little shit that is Raheem Sterling. I hope Gomez smashes the little shit to bits at the Etihad.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member

Really good article by Melissa Reddy re our summer transfer plans.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
"According to 21st Club, Sterling is the best player other than Van Dijk to transfer to a Premier League team since then. Liverpool made up for that loss by adding numbers three through six: Robertson, Alisson, Salah and Sadio Mane, in that order. Wijnaldum (10th), Firmino (13), and Fabinho (18) all rank in the top 20, too."

Mane is ranked no 6 in that list
How can Periera have been fifth on that list if his value has only increased by 7m euros?

Zoran

Think it's the first time someone (reliable) reported our interest (even if past) in Guerreiro. Thought about him last year because he also had a year left on his deal (not anymore). I think for that LB spot Klopp is exploring what can certain targets offer. Maybe the ability to play another position (game time issues, continuing making the squad very flexible, etc.). Guerreiro could potentially do a job at LCM or even LM (but more like coming off the bench to either close the game or stretch down that side) when we play 4-4-1-1. Either that possibility or a LB/LCB type, though that would be stylistically different to what Robbo offers (regardless of the fact that in some games or periods of games we can sometimes push 1 full back higher and keep the opposite one more reserved, against some top opponents).

I thought of Hakimi (right footer, but covers both RB/LB positions at Dortmund) at some point not long ago, but with us having plenty of right footed options to backup for Trent... a left footer who can maybe also cover more than the LB position (although in some cases maybe not a necessity, like a Jamal Lewis type, even if he's not starting for Norwich lately) could be what we'll monitor.

Recently read in a James Pearce Q&A that he thinks (doesn't mean it's true of course) we'll be targeting a new midfielder if Lallana leaves (and he probably will). I thought we wouldn't really touch that area because with Lallana in, we're basically on 7 central midfielders. Some very versatile players of course, like Milner and Ox was/still is maybe half a midfielder (his best role for us), half a forward with Minamino in now (we'll monitor his progress, hopefully has a full pre-season without any issues). Also said that Klopp isn't losing patience with Keita at all, he's still very much here to stay and the belief is that he'll become good for us.

He also said that with the news of Africa next season, it might play a certain part in our planning. Of course, we have time until then and certain players can improve/become more important. Klopp also said recently that it's not going to affect our outgoing transfers, but it could affect our incoming ones (don't know if it's back in winter time for good now or it's just next year because of Cameroon's specific summer time situation?).

Thought it would be anywhere between 1 and 3 (at most) players (a CB, a backup full back and a forward). But now with Pearce's thought, it could be 4 at most. We'll see.

Sweeting

I thought of Hakimi (right footer, but covers both RB/LB positions at Dortmund) at some point not long ago, but with us having plenty of right footed options to backup for Trent... a left footer who can maybe also cover more than the LB position (although in some cases maybe not a necessity, like a Jamal Lewis type, even if he's not starting for Norwich lately) could be what we'll monitor.
Jamal Lewis being strongly linked with going to Crystal Palace - probably just Palace trying to get ahead of the pack but I feel he's proved he is better than wasting his time there.

jay90

Recently read in a James Pearce Q&A that he thinks (doesn't mean it's true of course) we'll be targeting a new midfielder if Lallana leaves (and he probably will). I thought we wouldn't really touch that area because with Lallana in, we're basically on 7 central midfielders. Some very versatile players of course, like Milner and Ox was/still is maybe half a midfielder (his best role for us), half a forward with Minamino in now (we'll monitor his progress, hopefully has a full pre-season without any issues). Also said that Klopp isn't losing patience with Keita at all, he's still very much here to stay and the belief is that he'll become good for us.

He also said that with the news of Africa next season, it might play a certain part in our planning. Of course, we have time until then and certain players can improve/become more important. Klopp also said recently that it's not going to affect our outgoing transfers, but it could affect our incoming ones (don't know if it's back in winter time for good now or it's just next year because of Cameroon's specific summer time situation?).

Thought it would be anywhere between 1 and 3 (at most) players (a CB, a backup full back and a forward). But now with Pearce's thought, it could be 4 at most. We'll see.
sounds like standard pearce just drawing the obvious conclusions we all can from what's been said. why anyone thinks we'd lose patience with keita after just 2 - injury hit - seasons is beyond me but there we go.

afcon is moved back specifically due to cameroon's climate, not as a permanent thing. obviously though this suggests that should other countries with similar climates host it it can be in january again.. practically that likely only makes it an issue every 4 years maybe?

gonna be interesting to see who - if anyone - does leave this summer and if any kids have done enough to become cover in those positions before we go into the market

Craig_Johnston

I'm very down under, but my wife disagrees
I know everyone has forgotten about him since we played Wolves, but a swap deal involving Origi and Traore would be an upgrade in my opinion. I know Origi is a cult hero, but so were Erik Meijer and Igor Biscan. I've never seen him terrorise a defender the way Traore did to Robbo.
The back up LB question is really tricky. Either we get a young talent who's content to bide his time, or a seasoned pro like Klavan. Either way they know they are not going to displace Robertson

Limiescouse

afcon is moved back specifically due to cameroon's climate, not as a permanent thing. obviously though this suggests that should other countries with similar climates host it it can be in january again.. practically that likely only makes it an issue every 4 years maybe?
The 2023 tournament is scheduled to be hosted in Ivory Coast. The climate is near identical to that in Cameroon and there is no indication that version is going to be moved.

Sweeting

The 2023 tournament is scheduled to be hosted in Ivory Coast. The climate is near identical to that in Cameroon and there is no indication that version is going to be moved.
I think we all know it has really been moved to accommodate the World Cup, which is scheduled to end only 3 weeks before the AFCON starts.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member

I wondered if AFCON moving might increase the chances of us offering a contract to Lallana.

Status
Not open for further replies.