• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Limiescouse

That was impression I had also, although I keep seeing Bayern Munich fans on reddit say he is great, but when I've seen him I've not been particularly blown away.

Just another example that stats dont show the whole picture.
I think the idea is that he wins his battles, but is too often not present to be able to intervene.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Speak for yourself, I've been saying for ages I think he'd be a good player and add something here.

Would definitely be a better wide option than Origi, Shaqiri and probably Minamino. We don't have a player who can carry the ball like Traore, only Mane comes somewhat close.
I am speaking for myself.
I wouldn't buy him.

Dimitriy

Don't know, if I am correct, but, some of us, posting about bringing Coutinho, is more of a memory bliss, for a player that can easen the preasure over Mo and Mane, and partner Bobby in the creativity segment. JK wanting him to stay, was with a prediction...I would like to see him in the squad in an "Avatar" version of things:unsure:
-We have a monster of a defence...Best ever in the history of football (we need just a cover leftback...but let's see how Larouci does this weekend).
-The midfield with Keita... we still wait to see how we look like, with him and Fabino as a tandem...We lack a bit f creativity in this segment, the coveted no10(that's why there's a"cry" for Cout's), but the leadership and tenacity from the captain, easily covers that...Kai Haverts is the kid mentioned. If we bite, and bring him in, it would be to prepare the next leader of the team...
-And than, the issue of Kylian :unsure: (I think he likes the idea)...Of course, it is far-reach(ing). But being the best club in the world was always connected to a personality/ies, that comprises, not only the talent on the pitch, but also the "glamour" that allures financial bennefits.... If he comes, we lose Mo !
Will JK bring Sancho, pay the ransome, and offer him bits of playing time. Is he the next English star!?- Looks more talented than Raheem at that age...
Our recruitment team showed incredible results in bringing players who then excelled exponentially...can they go "up a notch" and bring us the new Luis, Fernando, Stevie...
As a club we are in the pole-possition, and we have the means (not obscene:giggle:) to recruit virtually the best talents...Our last two, at the moment are the best goalkeeper and the best defensive player in the world...not bad that.

Last edited:

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I'm not against him quality wise, I'm not knowledgeable enough on things like that. His goal contributions don't wow me but sometimes there are reasons for this. I'm just not sure he's got the skill blue print of what Klopp looks for in a wide forward which is all about starting wide to stretch opposition defence and then coming inside at pace with goal threat to overload a defence pulled out of position by Firmino. He strikes me as more of the offensive half of what Robertson and Alexander-Arnold do, storm down the wings at speed and get dangerous balls in field to the goal threats. Saw someone suggesting he add defensive nous and tackling to his game and he could be a Klopp fullback more than a Klopp wide forward and I think I agree.
He stays wide for Wolves because that is how Wolves play. They make the pitch very wide and overload on the flanks. They do this in every game and on both sides. This is not something that is unique to Traore, this is likely what the manager is asking him to do. The idea of him being a full back is not a good one IMO, he is at his best for Wolves when picking the ball up in central areas or higher up the pitch which is why the switch to 343 has suited him down to the ground rather than as a wingback in a 352.

Whether Traore would be able to make those darting runs inside constantly is yet to be seen, but it's a hell of a lot easier to coach that than it is to coach a player to run as fast as Traore.

In the 433 it's vital to have players with a bit of running power in those wide positions. Salah and Mane are so clever it will be difficult to replicate that with the players who cover them but somebody like Traore could add something a bit different whilst still fitting in.

He's not the finished article but I would imagine Klopp could get the absolute best out of him, and he's already pretty damn good. Looking at his goals and assists only completely misses the point of this type of player, as it does with Zaha who is quite similar.

spartacus136

He stays wide for Wolves because that is how Wolves play. They make the pitch very wide and overload on the flanks. They do this in every game and on both sides. This is not something that is unique to Traore, this is likely what the manager is asking him to do. The idea of him being a full back is not a good one IMO, he is at his best for Wolves when picking the ball up in central areas or higher up the pitch which is why the switch to 343 has suited him down to the ground rather than as a wingback in a 352.

Whether Traore would be able to make those darting runs inside constantly is yet to be seen, but it's a hell of a lot easier to coach that than it is to coach a player to run as fast as Traore.

In the 433 it's vital to have players with a bit of running power in those wide positions. Salah and Mane are so clever it will be difficult to replicate that with the players who cover them but somebody like Traore could add something a bit different whilst still fitting in.

He's not the finished article but I would imagine Klopp could get the absolute best out of him, and he's already pretty damn good. Looking at his goals and assists only completely misses the point of this type of player, as it does with Zaha who is quite similar.
Adama don't have good reaction like Mane so he learn how to slowdown his run this session to have more time for decision making. But he could overpower and faster than 99.99% players by his 80% effort. Only Van Dijk give me confident in a dual battle with Adama Traore. But even with Van Dijk, Its still 50-50.

However, problem is he will be cost more than 70m, and he is Spanish, he will comeback to Barcelona or Madrid one day IMO. He need playing and 70m for an backup is not realistic. I think maybe Klopp already had some words for him, told him keep improve then he able to replace Salah after next session maybe.

Limiescouse

Pretty interesting piece on Lacazette, most notable this part

A few days ago, a friend showed him a graph about the Premier League's most involved goal scorers -- simply put, the centre-forwards who are taking a significant part in their team's build-up play (or not) and who also have chances to score (or not). Alongside Wolves' Raul Jimenez, the Frenchman is the No. 9 in the Premier League with the highest mix of involvement in his team's play and chances, ahead of even Roberto Firmino, for example.

Emery struggled to fit his best players into the side and often found himself having to pick one from Auba and Lacazette. One of the challenges he faced was that Auba scored goals, but Arsenal were seemingly a better and more coherent side when it was Lac who his picked. This piece seems to support that. For all the focus of it being Auba is going to force his way out to move to a better side, we could do a whole lot worse than try to trump that nicking Lacazette from them. A relatively decent replacement for Bobby, but the all around ability to fit in on the left or right is needed.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Pretty interesting piece on Lacazette, most notable this part

Emery struggled to fit his best players into the side and often found himself having to pick one from Auba and Lacazette. One of the challenges he faced was that Auba scored goals, but Arsenal were seemingly a better and more coherent side when it was Lac who his picked. This piece seems to support that. For all the focus of it being Auba is going to force his way out to move to a better side, we could do a whole lot worse than try to trump that nicking Lacazette from them. A relatively decent replacement for Bobby, but the all around ability to fit in on the left or right is needed.
I think Firmino may have quietly added goals to his game - he has scored in each of the last 3 games (ok, one of those was disallowed but that wasnt his fault ). Also, i saw on twitter someone suggest that Firmino scores more frequently when Ox is playing as he is forced to play a little more higher.

Limiescouse

I think Bobby is wonderful and never worry about his contribution. I wouldn't rule out him finding a late career goal surge the way Drogba went from an all around menace to a proper goal scorer in his late 20s, but he doesnt need to do that to be absolutely wonderful. I just think that Lacazette is a player who could be very useful for us and think his quality and contribution at Arsenal has gone largely unnoticed (although seemingly not be Arteta).

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
I think Bobby is wonderful and never worry about his contribution. I wouldn't rule out him finding a late career goal surge the way Drogba went from an all around menace to a proper goal scorer in his late 20s, but he doesnt need to do that to be absolutely wonderful. I just think that Lacazette is a player who could be very useful for us and think his quality and contribution at Arsenal has gone largely unnoticed (although seemingly not be Arteta).
Found something we agree on! He would be s serious addition to rotate with the front three.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Sadly, his equaliser against Liverpool at The Emirates last season was one of the best goals that Liverpool conceded in the last few years. I rate him, a very interesting player, though I think that he'd probably be/have been a better fit in a side like Juventus (before Ronaldo's arrival) or at Man City (when Aguero isn't playing). I think he's not as good as Firmino when it comes to pressing but he's a fantastic finisher and someone who's probably a better playmaker than majority of centre forwards out there, even without the stats.

That said, since we're talking about Arsenal players, if Keita and Oxlade-Chamberlain ever manage to fully overcome their fitness issues and lack of consistency, I wouldn't mind Klopp or his successor looking at Martinelli to lead the line (provided Brewster doesn't cut it). There's something about that kid, even if his scoring record is bloated due to participation in cup games against weaker opposition. His movement and technical ability are pretty good, his finishing is outstanding, he has pace and build similar to Lewandowski. He might be more of a traditional striker but I really wouldn't mind Liverpool following his progress closely.

jay90

I'm wondering how much of their improvement since last season against us is down to their improvement as a team, and a drop in ours due to fatigue of the winter schedule finally catching up to us, particularly after the Utd game.
we've been doing "preseason" conditioning recently ahead of the run in, to add to the winter schedule.

Dimitriy

I tried to find this video clip, the day Wenger made a 180 degrees, trying to seal the Lemar deal...It was with his head planted upon...
...From today's instance...is that a part of his character, or maybe he is a shrewd old git :giggle: :giggle:
I dedicate this video to him. I must thank him, for not letting us make that purchase (y)

Sweeting

There is no one on the 2020 free agents list that particularly interests me. In 2021 Patrick van Aanholt is a free agent and I think he is quite underrated as an attacking wingback - probably because he rarely gets to do it - so he could be an able deputy. He is not great defensively but that's not a massive issue for us. Palace like to get full fees so they'd probably still want in excess of £20m for him even with only 12 months left on his contract this summer.
Looks like he is on his way to PSV for £7m. I'd be happy to step in with a slightly higher offer, he's an ideal back up in my books.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Looks like he is on his way to PSV for £7m. I'd be happy to step in with a slightly higher offer, he's an ideal back up in my books.
Trying to figure out what Palace are thinking here.

Sweeting

Trying to figure out what Palace are thinking here.
I can only think that they have decided to switch the attacking side of their defence. They are on the verge of loaning in Walker-Peters, who is an attacking wing back (albeit a fairly average one) and he'll probably expect to be ahead of Kelly and Ward in the pecking order.

Meanwhile Riedewald has come in at LB in recent games and done a good job but he isn't at all attacking.

So maybe they'll now have Zaha attack on the left, with Riedewald sitting in as a defensive full back and they'll have Walker-Peters push on from RB with one of the midfielders covering his space a bit more. (Instead of having Zaha and van Aanholt attacking down the same side).

Apart from that it doesn't make too much sense to me.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
[...]
Meanwhile Riedewald has come in at LB in recent games and done a good job but he isn't at all attacking.
[...]
Ah, cheers. Was looking at their squad-by-position on Transfermarkt trying to figure out what left-back they have in the squad with v.Aanholt leaving and couldn't find one. Should have looked at their recent lineups.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
He is, but playing more as a left winger or left central midfielder tucked inside.

Van Aanholt was interesting to me when he was at Sunderland... but that was also a long time ago and there are probably good reasons why nobody of the top tier went back for him. He'd probably be best playing as LWB in a 3/5 at the back system.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
He is, but playing more as a left winger or left central midfielder tucked inside.

Van Aanholt was interesting to me when he was at Sunderland... but that was also a long time ago and there are probably good reasons why nobody of the top tier went back for him. He'd probably be best playing as LWB in a 3/5 at the back system.
He always seemed to end up picking up red cards at Sunderland. Dont know if he has continued that at Palace.

I wonder if it is purely a money decision. PResumably with AFCON moving next season, They wont get an offer for Zaha that they would find acceptable so need to raise funds from elsewhere in the squad?

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I can only think that they have decided to switch the attacking side of their defence. They are on the verge of loaning in Walker-Peters, who is an attacking wing back (albeit a fairly average one) and he'll probably expect to be ahead of Kelly and Ward in the pecking order.

So maybe they'll now have Zaha attack on the left, with Riedewald sitting in as a defensive full back and they'll have Walker-Peters push on from RB with one of the midfielders covering his space a bit more. (Instead of having Zaha and van Aanholt attacking down the same side).

Apart from that it doesn't make too much sense to me.
Well one is English one isn't.. Roy loves his English players.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
They are on the verge of loaning in Walker-Peters, who is an attacking wing back (albeit a fairly average one) and he'll probably expect to be ahead of Kelly and Ward in the pecking order.
:oops:

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Last summer I wanted to sign that Fernandes who has just signed for M.U.
This winter I would have liked Werner as I believe we need another top class goal scorer. I tend to agree that a left back would help. We seem pretty well set up in MF.