• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

nikz200

So now that Sander Berge has joined Sheffield, a legitimate player who i thought would suit us well is off the board. Preferably would like us to look into signing 1.Kai Havertz, 2. Sandro Tonali, 3. Diego Carlos, 4.Max Aarons, 5. Jack Grealish. The reason being i think a combination amongst these 5 players will bolster our squad while being big enough names to help propel the team forward. Seeing our history of developing players we would go a long way in getting these types of players all at ages where they haven't reached their peak yet.

If your wondering if those types of transfers have worked in our favour, since 2014-2015 they did a statical analysis about which is the best prem signing in terms of value increase

THE BEST
1. Andy Robertson, Hull City to Liverpool, 2017 -- Fee paid: €9m (Current value, per 21st club: €98m)
2. Dele Alli, MK Dons to Spurs, 2015 -- Fee: €6.6m (Value: €63m)
3. Georginio Wijnaldum, Newcastle to Liverpool, 2016 -- Fee: €20m (Value: €67m)
4. Mohamed Salah, Roma to Liverpool, 2017 -- Fee: €42m (Value: €119m)
5. Ricardo Pereira, Porto to Leicester, 2018 -- Fee: €22m (Value: €29m)

The worst transfers
1. Michy Batshuayi, Marseille to Chelsea, 2016 -- Fee: €39m (Current value, per 21st Club: €10m)
2. Eric Bailly, Villarreal to Manchester United, 2016 -- Fee: €38m (Value: €10m)
3. Ben Gibson, Middlesbrough to Burnley, 2018 -- Fee: €15m (Value: €1.4m)
4. Oumar Niasse, Lokomotiv Moscow to Everton, 2016 -- Fee: €18m (Value: €2.7m)
5. Kelechi Iheanacho, Manchester City to Leicester, 2017 -- Fee: €28m (Value: €9.1m)

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
So now that Sander Berge has joined Sheffield, a legitimate player who i thought would suit us well is off the board. Preferably would like us to look into signing 1.Kai Havertz, 2. Sandro Tonali, 3. Diego Carlos, 4.Max Aarons, 5. Jack Grealish. The reason being i think a combination amongst these 5 players will bolster our squad while being big enough names to help propel the team forward. Seeing our history of developing players we would go a long way in getting these types of players all at ages where they haven't reached their peak yet.

If your wondering if those types of transfers have worked in our favour, since 2014-2015 they did a statical analysis about which is the best prem signing in terms of value increase

THE BEST
1. Andy Robertson, Hull City to Liverpool, 2017 -- Fee paid: €9m (Current value, per 21st club: €98m)
2. Dele Alli, MK Dons to Spurs, 2015 -- Fee: €6.6m (Value: €63m)
3. Georginio Wijnaldum, Newcastle to Liverpool, 2016 -- Fee: €20m (Value: €67m)
4. Mohamed Salah, Roma to Liverpool, 2017 -- Fee: €42m (Value: €119m)
5. Ricardo Pereira, Porto to Leicester, 2018 -- Fee: €22m (Value: €29m)

The worst transfers
1. Michy Batshuayi, Marseille to Chelsea, 2016 -- Fee: €39m (Current value, per 21st Club: €10m)
2. Eric Bailly, Villarreal to Manchester United, 2016 -- Fee: €38m (Value: €10m)
3. Ben Gibson, Middlesbrough to Burnley, 2018 -- Fee: €15m (Value: €1.4m)
4. Oumar Niasse, Lokomotiv Moscow to Everton, 2016 -- Fee: €18m (Value: €2.7m)
5. Kelechi Iheanacho, Manchester City to Leicester, 2017 -- Fee: €28m (Value: €9.1m)

No Sadio?

nikz200

No Sadio?
"According to 21st Club, Sterling is the best player other than Van Dijk to transfer to a Premier League team since then. Liverpool made up for that loss by adding numbers three through six: Robertson, Alisson, Salah and Sadio Mane, in that order. Wijnaldum (10th), Firmino (13), and Fabinho (18) all rank in the top 20, too."

Mane is ranked no 6 in that list

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
What a joke, Mane is a FAR better player than the little shit that is Raheem Sterling. I hope Gomez smashes the little shit to bits at the Etihad.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
"According to 21st Club, Sterling is the best player other than Van Dijk to transfer to a Premier League team since then. Liverpool made up for that loss by adding numbers three through six: Robertson, Alisson, Salah and Sadio Mane, in that order. Wijnaldum (10th), Firmino (13), and Fabinho (18) all rank in the top 20, too."

Mane is ranked no 6 in that list
How can Periera have been fifth on that list if his value has only increased by 7m euros?

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Think it's the first time someone (reliable) reported our interest (even if past) in Guerreiro. Thought about him last year because he also had a year left on his deal (not anymore). I think for that LB spot Klopp is exploring what can certain targets offer. Maybe the ability to play another position (game time issues, continuing making the squad very flexible, etc.). Guerreiro could potentially do a job at LCM or even LM (but more like coming off the bench to either close the game or stretch down that side) when we play 4-4-1-1. Either that possibility or a LB/LCB type, though that would be stylistically different to what Robbo offers (regardless of the fact that in some games or periods of games we can sometimes push 1 full back higher and keep the opposite one more reserved, against some top opponents).

I thought of Hakimi (right footer, but covers both RB/LB positions at Dortmund) at some point not long ago, but with us having plenty of right footed options to backup for Trent... a left footer who can maybe also cover more than the LB position (although in some cases maybe not a necessity, like a Jamal Lewis type, even if he's not starting for Norwich lately) could be what we'll monitor.

Recently read in a James Pearce Q&A that he thinks (doesn't mean it's true of course) we'll be targeting a new midfielder if Lallana leaves (and he probably will). I thought we wouldn't really touch that area because with Lallana in, we're basically on 7 central midfielders. Some very versatile players of course, like Milner and Ox was/still is maybe half a midfielder (his best role for us), half a forward with Minamino in now (we'll monitor his progress, hopefully has a full pre-season without any issues). Also said that Klopp isn't losing patience with Keita at all, he's still very much here to stay and the belief is that he'll become good for us.

He also said that with the news of Africa next season, it might play a certain part in our planning. Of course, we have time until then and certain players can improve/become more important. Klopp also said recently that it's not going to affect our outgoing transfers, but it could affect our incoming ones (don't know if it's back in winter time for good now or it's just next year because of Cameroon's specific summer time situation?).

Thought it would be anywhere between 1 and 3 (at most) players (a CB, a backup full back and a forward). But now with Pearce's thought, it could be 4 at most. We'll see.

Sweeting

I thought of Hakimi (right footer, but covers both RB/LB positions at Dortmund) at some point not long ago, but with us having plenty of right footed options to backup for Trent... a left footer who can maybe also cover more than the LB position (although in some cases maybe not a necessity, like a Jamal Lewis type, even if he's not starting for Norwich lately) could be what we'll monitor.
Jamal Lewis being strongly linked with going to Crystal Palace - probably just Palace trying to get ahead of the pack but I feel he's proved he is better than wasting his time there.

jay90

Recently read in a James Pearce Q&A that he thinks (doesn't mean it's true of course) we'll be targeting a new midfielder if Lallana leaves (and he probably will). I thought we wouldn't really touch that area because with Lallana in, we're basically on 7 central midfielders. Some very versatile players of course, like Milner and Ox was/still is maybe half a midfielder (his best role for us), half a forward with Minamino in now (we'll monitor his progress, hopefully has a full pre-season without any issues). Also said that Klopp isn't losing patience with Keita at all, he's still very much here to stay and the belief is that he'll become good for us.

He also said that with the news of Africa next season, it might play a certain part in our planning. Of course, we have time until then and certain players can improve/become more important. Klopp also said recently that it's not going to affect our outgoing transfers, but it could affect our incoming ones (don't know if it's back in winter time for good now or it's just next year because of Cameroon's specific summer time situation?).

Thought it would be anywhere between 1 and 3 (at most) players (a CB, a backup full back and a forward). But now with Pearce's thought, it could be 4 at most. We'll see.
sounds like standard pearce just drawing the obvious conclusions we all can from what's been said. why anyone thinks we'd lose patience with keita after just 2 - injury hit - seasons is beyond me but there we go.

afcon is moved back specifically due to cameroon's climate, not as a permanent thing. obviously though this suggests that should other countries with similar climates host it it can be in january again.. practically that likely only makes it an issue every 4 years maybe?

gonna be interesting to see who - if anyone - does leave this summer and if any kids have done enough to become cover in those positions before we go into the market

Craig_Johnston

I'm very down under, but my wife disagrees
I know everyone has forgotten about him since we played Wolves, but a swap deal involving Origi and Traore would be an upgrade in my opinion. I know Origi is a cult hero, but so were Erik Meijer and Igor Biscan. I've never seen him terrorise a defender the way Traore did to Robbo.
The back up LB question is really tricky. Either we get a young talent who's content to bide his time, or a seasoned pro like Klavan. Either way they know they are not going to displace Robertson

Limiescouse

afcon is moved back specifically due to cameroon's climate, not as a permanent thing. obviously though this suggests that should other countries with similar climates host it it can be in january again.. practically that likely only makes it an issue every 4 years maybe?
The 2023 tournament is scheduled to be hosted in Ivory Coast. The climate is near identical to that in Cameroon and there is no indication that version is going to be moved.

Sweeting

The 2023 tournament is scheduled to be hosted in Ivory Coast. The climate is near identical to that in Cameroon and there is no indication that version is going to be moved.
I think we all know it has really been moved to accommodate the World Cup, which is scheduled to end only 3 weeks before the AFCON starts.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member

I wondered if AFCON moving might increase the chances of us offering a contract to Lallana.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial

Messi an adequate replacement while Mane and Salah are at AFCON?

Lol, it'll never happen, but apparently Messi can walk from Barca this summer if he wants.

Only place that might pay him would be PSG, maybe Juve if they check for loose change in the couch, but can't imagine Ronaldo and messi co-existing. I imagine Abidal wil be fired rather quickly.

... so Mbappe defo happening, Messi the replacement at PSG. :LOL:

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road

Messi an adequate replacement while Mane and Salah are at AFCON?

Lol, it'll never happen, but apparently Messi can walk from Barca this summer if he wants.

Only place that might pay him would be PSG, maybe Juve if they check for loose change in the couch, but can't imagine Ronaldo and messi co-existing. I imagine Abidal wil be fired rather quickly.

... so Mbappe defo happening, Messi the replacement at PSG. :LOL:

please let messi sign for Juve.

not that im a fan of Juve, Italian football or ronaldo, and i am a fan of Messi and Barca.....but.....

getting Messi and Ronaldo on the park for a season, even past their prime.....anything could happen and it could go either end of the scale, but at the very least, we could say we were there to see it happen.

i dont know much about basketball (dream team?), but surely that would be the only sport that would go close to having that kind of all time sporting legends from the same code share an official competitive game together?

itd be like federer and Djockovic playing doubles.......like phelps and spitz swimming a relay...like...like rafa and klopp sharing a touchline....btw....did i ever mention the day that i met rafa?

Craig_Johnston

I'm very down under, but my wife disagrees
please let messi sign for Juve.

not that im a fan of Juve, Italian football or ronaldo, and i am a fan of Messi and Barca.....but.....

getting Messi and Ronaldo on the park for a season, even past their prime.....anything could happen and it could go either end of the scale, but at the very least, we could say we were there to see it happen.

i dont know much about basketball (dream team?), but surely that would be the only sport that would go close to having that kind of all time sporting legends from the same code share an official competitive game together?

itd be like federer and Djockovic playing doubles.......like phelps and spitz swimming a relay...like...like rafa and klopp sharing a touchline....btw....did i ever mention the day that i met rafa?
The Travelling Willburys

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
No player thread for lil Harvey @Nikola ?

Went to make some comments about Elliott and recruitment so will make them here instead.

Don't think it is any surprise to anyone that I want us to sign a top forward. But one of the main reasons is because of how much it could open up chances for Elliott in particular.

Really do believe this kid could go on to become the winger equivalent of Alexander-Arnold over the next 5 years.

At the moment though I feel frustrated in our options for our attack after our front 3 default starters.

Shaqiri, Minamino and Origi are all players I like and in days gone by I would have considered them as potential targets to bring in to start for us (especially Shaqiri, really love the guy and he was on my want to buy lists quite a lot over the years). But they just don't realistically come close to giving Klopp a selection headache in attack.

This team is at a better level than we probably could have hoped for. When everyone is fit and in form there are "nice" headaches for Klopp when it comes to CB (Matip just losing out to Gomez at moment after being the other way round at start of season) and it's hard to know who the 3 CM starters would be out of Fabinho, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Ox, Milner and Keita (a decision usually made easier by injuries and spotty form).

Up top after our first 3 the others are purely cover options only playing rarely or when injuries hit. That's a lot of pressure on the starters to play flat out for a lot of games as we need them. It also means a difficult job keeping everyone happy with playing time.

So when do kids like Elliott get chances? I want Elliott to be given a more prominent role. One top forward in gives better options and quality up top whilst allowing two players, probably Origi and Shaqiri for playing time elsewhere, whilst also giving more opportunities for Elliott to push on and establish himself as a proper wide attacking option for us.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Why don’t you start one? I’m sure @Nikola would understand.
I'm superstitious, Nikola has overcome his curse but I'm a naturally unlucky person what if I jinx him? I wouldn't be able to live with myself! I just can't handle that level of responsibility I can't!!!

Sweeting

As much as Klopp likes young players I do not believe he likes teenagers in the team so much, not as key players anyway.

Elliott is a good few years away from becoming a regular is my guess but he's one I struggle to see ever going on loan either.

Him and Jones don't need loan experience in my opinion.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
As much as Klopp likes young players I do not believe he likes teenagers in the team so much, not as key players anyway.

Elliott is a good few years away from becoming a regular is my guess but he's one I struggle to see ever going on loan either.

Him and Jones don't need loan experience in my opinion.
Jones, Elliot, Williams and Hoever are the ones I think are close. I think they will all get a proper Premier League run out this season, especially if we gave some dead rubbers toward the end.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
No player thread for lil Harvey @Nikola ?

Went to make some comments about Elliott and recruitment so will make them here instead.

Don't think it is any surprise to anyone that I want us to sign a top forward. But one of the main reasons is because of how much it could open up chances for Elliott in particular.

Really do believe this kid could go on to become the winger equivalent of Alexander-Arnold over the next 5 years.

At the moment though I feel frustrated in our options for our attack after our front 3 default starters.

Shaqiri, Minamino and Origi are all players I like and in days gone by I would have considered them as potential targets to bring in to start for us (especially Shaqiri, really love the guy and he was on my want to buy lists quite a lot over the years). But they just don't realistically come close to giving Klopp a selection headache in attack.

This team is at a better level than we probably could have hoped for. When everyone is fit and in form there are "nice" headaches for Klopp when it comes to CB (Matip just losing out to Gomez at moment after being the other way round at start of season) and it's hard to know who the 3 CM starters would be out of Fabinho, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Ox, Milner and Keita (a decision usually made easier by injuries and spotty form).

Up top after our first 3 the others are purely cover options only playing rarely or when injuries hit. That's a lot of pressure on the starters to play flat out for a lot of games as we need them. It also means a difficult job keeping everyone happy with playing time.

So when do kids like Elliott get chances? I want Elliott to be given a more prominent role. One top forward in gives better options and quality up top whilst allowing two players, probably Origi and Shaqiri for playing time elsewhere, whilst also giving more opportunities for Elliott to push on and establish himself as a proper wide attacking option for us.
He's 16. You spent plenty of time telling us last summer Brewster wasn't going to get any games because he was only 19 and he would have to be phased in like Trent.

Now you're advocating for the winger equivalent of Trent should play more often (he already has been involved in 7 matches to some extent).

You claim you wanted an Elliott thread to make some comments about him, but let's face it, you barely mentioned him. This is little more than yet another in the neverending story of how Liverpool should buy another forward (Minamino says hello by the way).

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
He's 16. You spent plenty of time telling us last summer Brewster wasn't going to get any games because he was only 19 and he would have to be phased in like Trent.

Now you're advocating for the winger equivalent of Trent should play more often (he already has been involved in 7 matches to some extent).

You claim you wanted an Elliott thread to make some comments about him, but let's face it, you barely mentioned him. This is little more than yet another in the neverending story of how Liverpool should buy another forward (Minamino says hello by the way).
Is that really what I said about Brewster? I believe what I was saying is that even the most promising young players wouldn't expect to make more than 10/15 starts in their first senior season. I was never talking about age but the step up from youth to senior football. I pointed out Trent (turned out to be the real deal and best right back in the world within 3 seasons) only started 7, under this current manager, in his first senior season. Brewster was getting talked up as someone who would be starting over 25 games this season, his first senior one. I was arguing against those expectations and saying, without another senior attacker coming in, that we would be having a situation were Shaqiri, Origi and others would be used too much and our starters would be under too much pressure to start every game. We have then added a senior attacker in winter, started playing him straight away, no thought of loaning him back to selling club and resisted temptation to let Shaqiri and/or Lallana move on.

What is different with what I'm asking for with Elliott? Well one this is his first senior season not next year when I'm talking about. Two with Brewster between him and the starters we had Origi and Shaqiri. With Elliott I was suggesting bringing a better player in and him and Minamino would effectively have replaced Shaqiri and Origi. This would improve quality, enable more rotation, rest the front 3 more keeping them fresh, mean less players fitting in where needed instead of where they are better and put less pressure on the youth product.