• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Who would you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial

Messi an adequate replacement while Mane and Salah are at AFCON?

Lol, it'll never happen, but apparently Messi can walk from Barca this summer if he wants.

Only place that might pay him would be PSG, maybe Juve if they check for loose change in the couch, but can't imagine Ronaldo and messi co-existing. I imagine Abidal wil be fired rather quickly.

... so Mbappe defo happening, Messi the replacement at PSG. :LOL:

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road

Messi an adequate replacement while Mane and Salah are at AFCON?

Lol, it'll never happen, but apparently Messi can walk from Barca this summer if he wants.

Only place that might pay him would be PSG, maybe Juve if they check for loose change in the couch, but can't imagine Ronaldo and messi co-existing. I imagine Abidal wil be fired rather quickly.

... so Mbappe defo happening, Messi the replacement at PSG. :LOL:

please let messi sign for Juve.

not that im a fan of Juve, Italian football or ronaldo, and i am a fan of Messi and Barca.....but.....

getting Messi and Ronaldo on the park for a season, even past their prime.....anything could happen and it could go either end of the scale, but at the very least, we could say we were there to see it happen.

i dont know much about basketball (dream team?), but surely that would be the only sport that would go close to having that kind of all time sporting legends from the same code share an official competitive game together?

itd be like federer and Djockovic playing doubles.......like phelps and spitz swimming a relay...like...like rafa and klopp sharing a touchline....btw....did i ever mention the day that i met rafa?

Craig_Johnston

I'm very down under, but my wife disagrees
please let messi sign for Juve.

not that im a fan of Juve, Italian football or ronaldo, and i am a fan of Messi and Barca.....but.....

getting Messi and Ronaldo on the park for a season, even past their prime.....anything could happen and it could go either end of the scale, but at the very least, we could say we were there to see it happen.

i dont know much about basketball (dream team?), but surely that would be the only sport that would go close to having that kind of all time sporting legends from the same code share an official competitive game together?

itd be like federer and Djockovic playing doubles.......like phelps and spitz swimming a relay...like...like rafa and klopp sharing a touchline....btw....did i ever mention the day that i met rafa?
The Travelling Willburys

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
No player thread for lil Harvey @Nikola ?

Went to make some comments about Elliott and recruitment so will make them here instead.

Don't think it is any surprise to anyone that I want us to sign a top forward. But one of the main reasons is because of how much it could open up chances for Elliott in particular.

Really do believe this kid could go on to become the winger equivalent of Alexander-Arnold over the next 5 years.

At the moment though I feel frustrated in our options for our attack after our front 3 default starters.

Shaqiri, Minamino and Origi are all players I like and in days gone by I would have considered them as potential targets to bring in to start for us (especially Shaqiri, really love the guy and he was on my want to buy lists quite a lot over the years). But they just don't realistically come close to giving Klopp a selection headache in attack.

This team is at a better level than we probably could have hoped for. When everyone is fit and in form there are "nice" headaches for Klopp when it comes to CB (Matip just losing out to Gomez at moment after being the other way round at start of season) and it's hard to know who the 3 CM starters would be out of Fabinho, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Ox, Milner and Keita (a decision usually made easier by injuries and spotty form).

Up top after our first 3 the others are purely cover options only playing rarely or when injuries hit. That's a lot of pressure on the starters to play flat out for a lot of games as we need them. It also means a difficult job keeping everyone happy with playing time.

So when do kids like Elliott get chances? I want Elliott to be given a more prominent role. One top forward in gives better options and quality up top whilst allowing two players, probably Origi and Shaqiri for playing time elsewhere, whilst also giving more opportunities for Elliott to push on and establish himself as a proper wide attacking option for us.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Why don’t you start one? I’m sure @Nikola would understand.
I'm superstitious, Nikola has overcome his curse but I'm a naturally unlucky person what if I jinx him? I wouldn't be able to live with myself! I just can't handle that level of responsibility I can't!!!

Sweeting

As much as Klopp likes young players I do not believe he likes teenagers in the team so much, not as key players anyway.

Elliott is a good few years away from becoming a regular is my guess but he's one I struggle to see ever going on loan either.

Him and Jones don't need loan experience in my opinion.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
As much as Klopp likes young players I do not believe he likes teenagers in the team so much, not as key players anyway.

Elliott is a good few years away from becoming a regular is my guess but he's one I struggle to see ever going on loan either.

Him and Jones don't need loan experience in my opinion.
Jones, Elliot, Williams and Hoever are the ones I think are close. I think they will all get a proper Premier League run out this season, especially if we gave some dead rubbers toward the end.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
He's 16. You spent plenty of time telling us last summer Brewster wasn't going to get any games because he was only 19 and he would have to be phased in like Trent.

Now you're advocating for the winger equivalent of Trent should play more often (he already has been involved in 7 matches to some extent).

You claim you wanted an Elliott thread to make some comments about him, but let's face it, you barely mentioned him. This is little more than yet another in the neverending story of how Liverpool should buy another forward (Minamino says hello by the way).
Is that really what I said about Brewster? I believe what I was saying is that even the most promising young players wouldn't expect to make more than 10/15 starts in their first senior season. I was never talking about age but the step up from youth to senior football. I pointed out Trent (turned out to be the real deal and best right back in the world within 3 seasons) only started 7, under this current manager, in his first senior season. Brewster was getting talked up as someone who would be starting over 25 games this season, his first senior one. I was arguing against those expectations and saying, without another senior attacker coming in, that we would be having a situation were Shaqiri, Origi and others would be used too much and our starters would be under too much pressure to start every game. We have then added a senior attacker in winter, started playing him straight away, no thought of loaning him back to selling club and resisted temptation to let Shaqiri and/or Lallana move on.

What is different with what I'm asking for with Elliott? Well one this is his first senior season not next year when I'm talking about. Two with Brewster between him and the starters we had Origi and Shaqiri. With Elliott I was suggesting bringing a better player in and him and Minamino would effectively have replaced Shaqiri and Origi. This would improve quality, enable more rotation, rest the front 3 more keeping them fresh, mean less players fitting in where needed instead of where they are better and put less pressure on the youth product.

vjcpatriot

If Lallana leaves, I am interested in the following players to replace him: Kai Havertz, Isco, and Milinkivoc-Savic. Havertz would be pricey but is one of the best under 21 talents in the world right now and could slot in seamlessly as an attacking midfielder or left wing. Isco is a more experienced player and would be ready to play right away, with his contract running down, Madrid are already said to be interested in moving on from him.

Last but not least is Milinkovic-Savic. Man United were rumored to be interested in him as a Pogba replacement not so long ago. From being one of the hottest prospects in world football, Savic has since fallen out of favor in Lazio.

This article details Savic's fall from grace in Italy.

The Lazio fans even voted Lucas Leiva as a more favorite player. But this also means the opportunity could arise for Liverpool to sign Savic in the summer and see if he recaptures his fantastic form of prior seasons. Certainly under Klopp's tutelage, I believe it is possible to unlock the 6'3 Serbian midfielder into a true monster on the pitch for LFC.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Think we would only see Milinkovic-Savic or someone similar coming in if Wijnaldum was moving on.

Don't think Isco is the right fit for the intensity of a Klopp side. He would have been the perfect attacking mid for us under Rodgers, maybe instead of Lallana.

Lallana doesn't need replacing. Guys like him and Shaqiri are getting less opportunities than one guy could easily cover. Having multiple, experienced guys around needing minutes is just limiting the playing opportunities and responsibilities that could be getting passed to the likes of Elliott and Jones etc!

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
My predicted 2020/21 squad (not quite who would I buy but seemed best place for it) broken down to positions;

GK: First choice Alisson. Back up Adrian. Development option Grabara. Emergency option Lonergan.

CB (2): Main options Van Dijk, Gomez and Matip. Back up option Fabinho. Development options Hoever and Van Den Berg. Emergency option Phillips.

FB (2): Main options Alexander-Arnold and Robertson. Back up option Milner. Development option Williams. Emergency options Larouci, Henderson, Gomez and Fabinho.

DM: Main options Fabinho and Henderson. Back up option Wijnaldum. Development option Chirivella. Emergency options Alexander-Arnold and Milner.

CM (2): Main options Henderson, Wijnaldum, Keita and Oxlade-Chamberlain. Back up option Milner. Development option Jones. Emergency options Alexander-Arnold, Minamino and Firmino.

False 9: Main option Firmino. Back up option Minamino. Development option possibly Jones? Emergency option Mane.

Wide forwards (2): Main options Salah, Mane and new signing. Back up option Minamino. Development options Elliott and Jones. Emergency options Minamino, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Alexander-Arnold.

Centre Forward for plan B/4231: Main option(s?) Salah (and new signing?). Back up option Firmino (as the 1 in 4231 not central in 433). Development option Brewster. Emergency option Mane.

I could see a summer with Karius, Lovren, Clyne, Grujic, Lallana, Wilson, Ojo, Shaqiri, Ejaria, Awoniyi and Origi all moving on. I think the rest of the squad is so strong and balanced that even with all those departures the only place we would be under strength and need a reinforcement coming in would be a forward. The strength of our academy means we would regularly be able to turn to the likes of Williams, Hoever, Jones, Elliott and Brewster and give them chances and responsibility without putting too much on them too soon. I'd like to see Chirivella stay. I think there would be room for him but that role wouldn't be enough for Grujic who I see wanting to move on as there just isn't room for him here currently.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Jeremie Boga. I mentioned him earlier, so a quick update. Sassoulo has gone unbeaten their past 4, 3-1-0, Boga has 3 goals, and an assist. If you get the chance, check him out. Generally plays the left wing in a 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1
I remember your post, he's been on fire since. :) I think he used to bully Liverpool's U23s (or was it Reserves back then?) when he played for Chelsea, I think he played as a left winger. Pace and dribbling out of this world and Sassuolo are pretty good at developing young players, it was bound to work.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Jeremie Boga. I mentioned him earlier, so a quick update. Sassoulo has gone unbeaten their past 4, 3-1-0, Boga has 3 goals, and an assist. If you get the chance, check him out. Generally plays the left wing in a 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1
Think AFCON has put paid to any hopes you might have on this one. Can't have 3 senior wingers all missing a month or two of games at the same time. Especially when it would probably mean our only senior wingers.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Think AFCON has put paid to any hopes you might have on this one. Can't have 3 senior wingers all missing a month or two of games at the same time. Especially when it would probably mean our only senior wingers.
He has played 13 minutes for the Ivory Coast in 2017. While there may be a risk of him being called up it doesnt look like it is a guarenteed thing at this moment.

Is there a rule on how many players you can lose to international call ups before a match gets postponed? If so, we could pack the squad out with AFCON qualified players. :ROFLMAO:

Limiescouse

This article details Savic's fall from grace in Italy.

The Lazio fans even voted Lucas Leiva as a more favorite player. But this also means the opportunity could arise for Liverpool to sign Savic in the summer and see if he recaptures his fantastic form of prior seasons. Certainly under Klopp's tutelage, I believe it is possible to unlock the 6'3 Serbian midfielder into a true monster on the pitch for LFC.
So Lazio are having their best season for years, legitimately in a title run, yet within weeks of it starting their fans turned on 2 every presents and their best players from recent seasons. What a scum bag club.

StevieJayUSA

Quite valid point. Wonder how Klopp feels about this. Would he not get a player he wants just because he may miss a few games? Good question only one or two know the answer to.

Transfermarket rate him around £10M. Still be a steal at something near that price, IMO, AFCON or no.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Quite valid point. Wonder how Klopp feels about this. Would he not get a player he wants just because he may miss a few games? Good question only one or two know the answer to.

Transfermarket rate him around £10M. Still be a steal at something near that price, IMO, AFCON or no.
He has already said the moving of it back will impact on potential signings... Imagine if all of them got injured? Your season is fucked.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
He has played 13 minutes for the Ivory Coast in 2017. While there may be a risk of him being called up it doesnt look like it is a guarenteed thing at this moment.

Is there a rule on how many players you can lose to international call ups before a match gets postponed? If so, we could pack the squad out with AFCON qualified players. :ROFLMAO:
If he is good enough to get signed and play for us he will surely end up in their squad won't he?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

It's hardly a few games though is it? It could be up to around 8 weeks.

Edit: Tournament is 9th Jan till 6th Feb. Likely to miss few before and few after. This season a tournament over those dates could have led to missing as many as 10 games, 7 league ones. That could massively impact on us next year.

Last edited:

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
If he is good enough to get signed and play for us he will surely end up in their squad won't he?
I dont know. The fact he hasnt even been involved in any friendlies since his debut in 2017 again do not appear to make this an automatic thing, particularly if he is barely involved in our games before AFCON takes place. If i was being cynical, i would guess he was only asked to play in that match so that Ivory Coast could prevent him from qualifying for other countries in the future.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
Chelsea have a buyback option with Boga, if we were interested I'd imagine they would activate it just to stop us.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I dont know. The fact he hasnt even been involved in any friendlies since his debut in 2017 again do not appear to make this an automatic thing, particularly if he is barely involved in our games before AFCON takes place. If i was being cynical, i would guess he was only asked to play in that match so that Ivory Coast could prevent him from qualifying for other countries in the future.
Yep. But by association if he isn't good enough for Ivory Coast to use is he good enough for us? Or is he doing a Nikica Jelavic/Inaki Williams/Iker Muniain/Tom Ince/Andy Carroll (the 6 months before we signed him), a limited player who, for a brief spell, is recording great numbers but doesn't actually have the abilities and all round game to really succeed? Either he is good in which case they'll use him or he actually isn't in which case we shouldn't buy him. I don't see a different option. We are currently the best team on the planet on form. Any player good enough to play a role for that side is at least going to the tournament to sit on the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.