• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

vjcpatriot

If Lallana leaves, I am interested in the following players to replace him: Kai Havertz, Isco, and Milinkivoc-Savic. Havertz would be pricey but is one of the best under 21 talents in the world right now and could slot in seamlessly as an attacking midfielder or left wing. Isco is a more experienced player and would be ready to play right away, with his contract running down, Madrid are already said to be interested in moving on from him.

Last but not least is Milinkovic-Savic. Man United were rumored to be interested in him as a Pogba replacement not so long ago. From being one of the hottest prospects in world football, Savic has since fallen out of favor in Lazio.

This article details Savic's fall from grace in Italy.

The Lazio fans even voted Lucas Leiva as a more favorite player. But this also means the opportunity could arise for Liverpool to sign Savic in the summer and see if he recaptures his fantastic form of prior seasons. Certainly under Klopp's tutelage, I believe it is possible to unlock the 6'3 Serbian midfielder into a true monster on the pitch for LFC.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Think we would only see Milinkovic-Savic or someone similar coming in if Wijnaldum was moving on.

Don't think Isco is the right fit for the intensity of a Klopp side. He would have been the perfect attacking mid for us under Rodgers, maybe instead of Lallana.

Lallana doesn't need replacing. Guys like him and Shaqiri are getting less opportunities than one guy could easily cover. Having multiple, experienced guys around needing minutes is just limiting the playing opportunities and responsibilities that could be getting passed to the likes of Elliott and Jones etc!

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
My predicted 2020/21 squad (not quite who would I buy but seemed best place for it) broken down to positions;

GK: First choice Alisson. Back up Adrian. Development option Grabara. Emergency option Lonergan.

CB (2): Main options Van Dijk, Gomez and Matip. Back up option Fabinho. Development options Hoever and Van Den Berg. Emergency option Phillips.

FB (2): Main options Alexander-Arnold and Robertson. Back up option Milner. Development option Williams. Emergency options Larouci, Henderson, Gomez and Fabinho.

DM: Main options Fabinho and Henderson. Back up option Wijnaldum. Development option Chirivella. Emergency options Alexander-Arnold and Milner.

CM (2): Main options Henderson, Wijnaldum, Keita and Oxlade-Chamberlain. Back up option Milner. Development option Jones. Emergency options Alexander-Arnold, Minamino and Firmino.

False 9: Main option Firmino. Back up option Minamino. Development option possibly Jones? Emergency option Mane.

Wide forwards (2): Main options Salah, Mane and new signing. Back up option Minamino. Development options Elliott and Jones. Emergency options Minamino, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Alexander-Arnold.

Centre Forward for plan B/4231: Main option(s?) Salah (and new signing?). Back up option Firmino (as the 1 in 4231 not central in 433). Development option Brewster. Emergency option Mane.

I could see a summer with Karius, Lovren, Clyne, Grujic, Lallana, Wilson, Ojo, Shaqiri, Ejaria, Awoniyi and Origi all moving on. I think the rest of the squad is so strong and balanced that even with all those departures the only place we would be under strength and need a reinforcement coming in would be a forward. The strength of our academy means we would regularly be able to turn to the likes of Williams, Hoever, Jones, Elliott and Brewster and give them chances and responsibility without putting too much on them too soon. I'd like to see Chirivella stay. I think there would be room for him but that role wouldn't be enough for Grujic who I see wanting to move on as there just isn't room for him here currently.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Jeremie Boga. I mentioned him earlier, so a quick update. Sassoulo has gone unbeaten their past 4, 3-1-0, Boga has 3 goals, and an assist. If you get the chance, check him out. Generally plays the left wing in a 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1
I remember your post, he's been on fire since. :) I think he used to bully Liverpool's U23s (or was it Reserves back then?) when he played for Chelsea, I think he played as a left winger. Pace and dribbling out of this world and Sassuolo are pretty good at developing young players, it was bound to work.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Jeremie Boga. I mentioned him earlier, so a quick update. Sassoulo has gone unbeaten their past 4, 3-1-0, Boga has 3 goals, and an assist. If you get the chance, check him out. Generally plays the left wing in a 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1
Think AFCON has put paid to any hopes you might have on this one. Can't have 3 senior wingers all missing a month or two of games at the same time. Especially when it would probably mean our only senior wingers.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Think AFCON has put paid to any hopes you might have on this one. Can't have 3 senior wingers all missing a month or two of games at the same time. Especially when it would probably mean our only senior wingers.
He has played 13 minutes for the Ivory Coast in 2017. While there may be a risk of him being called up it doesnt look like it is a guarenteed thing at this moment.

Is there a rule on how many players you can lose to international call ups before a match gets postponed? If so, we could pack the squad out with AFCON qualified players. :ROFLMAO:

Limiescouse

This article details Savic's fall from grace in Italy.

The Lazio fans even voted Lucas Leiva as a more favorite player. But this also means the opportunity could arise for Liverpool to sign Savic in the summer and see if he recaptures his fantastic form of prior seasons. Certainly under Klopp's tutelage, I believe it is possible to unlock the 6'3 Serbian midfielder into a true monster on the pitch for LFC.
So Lazio are having their best season for years, legitimately in a title run, yet within weeks of it starting their fans turned on 2 every presents and their best players from recent seasons. What a scum bag club.

StevieJayUSA

Quite valid point. Wonder how Klopp feels about this. Would he not get a player he wants just because he may miss a few games? Good question only one or two know the answer to.

Transfermarket rate him around £10M. Still be a steal at something near that price, IMO, AFCON or no.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Quite valid point. Wonder how Klopp feels about this. Would he not get a player he wants just because he may miss a few games? Good question only one or two know the answer to.

Transfermarket rate him around £10M. Still be a steal at something near that price, IMO, AFCON or no.
He has already said the moving of it back will impact on potential signings... Imagine if all of them got injured? Your season is fucked.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
He has played 13 minutes for the Ivory Coast in 2017. While there may be a risk of him being called up it doesnt look like it is a guarenteed thing at this moment.

Is there a rule on how many players you can lose to international call ups before a match gets postponed? If so, we could pack the squad out with AFCON qualified players. :ROFLMAO:
If he is good enough to get signed and play for us he will surely end up in their squad won't he?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

It's hardly a few games though is it? It could be up to around 8 weeks.

Edit: Tournament is 9th Jan till 6th Feb. Likely to miss few before and few after. This season a tournament over those dates could have led to missing as many as 10 games, 7 league ones. That could massively impact on us next year.

Last edited:

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
If he is good enough to get signed and play for us he will surely end up in their squad won't he?
I dont know. The fact he hasnt even been involved in any friendlies since his debut in 2017 again do not appear to make this an automatic thing, particularly if he is barely involved in our games before AFCON takes place. If i was being cynical, i would guess he was only asked to play in that match so that Ivory Coast could prevent him from qualifying for other countries in the future.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
Chelsea have a buyback option with Boga, if we were interested I'd imagine they would activate it just to stop us.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I dont know. The fact he hasnt even been involved in any friendlies since his debut in 2017 again do not appear to make this an automatic thing, particularly if he is barely involved in our games before AFCON takes place. If i was being cynical, i would guess he was only asked to play in that match so that Ivory Coast could prevent him from qualifying for other countries in the future.
Yep. But by association if he isn't good enough for Ivory Coast to use is he good enough for us? Or is he doing a Nikica Jelavic/Inaki Williams/Iker Muniain/Tom Ince/Andy Carroll (the 6 months before we signed him), a limited player who, for a brief spell, is recording great numbers but doesn't actually have the abilities and all round game to really succeed? Either he is good in which case they'll use him or he actually isn't in which case we shouldn't buy him. I don't see a different option. We are currently the best team on the planet on form. Any player good enough to play a role for that side is at least going to the tournament to sit on the bench.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
It's hardly a few games though is it? It could be up to around 8 weeks.

Edit: Tournament is 9th Jan till 6th Feb. Likely to miss few before and few after. This season a tournament over those dates could have led to missing as many as 10 games, 7 league ones. That could massively impact on us next year.
Exactly, can't see us going after any more African players as long there is no uniform rule about these tournaments.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Exactly, can't see us going after any more African players as long there is no uniform rule about these tournaments.
People are talking about next year like it's the one off but so far we've only had one summer one. It wouldn't be as bad if the playing positions were spread out, doubt Keitas absence will harm us much in CM for instance. But we play with two very attacking wingers/wide forwards. We only have two senior players that fit that description. They're both missing maybe somewhere between 5 and 10 league games at the same time next season. We can argue back and forth on these threads about what level of cover/competition we can/should look to bring in or if it's fine to go with Shaqiri and Origi again and just be a bit more flexible with our tactics. But one thing I would think most would agree on is that if we bring in that kind of player it's to be available when we can't play either or both of Salah and Mane. Bringing in a third such player likely to miss the same run of games makes no sense.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
I doubt we will sign an African footballer unless they are exceptional and not expensive. @Anfield rd Dreamer outlines our need to cover Salah/Mane for AFCON so it makes zero sense to sign someone else that could also be missing.
I think it makes more sense now to dsign Mbappe!

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I doubt we will sign an African footballer unless they are exceptional and not expensive. @Anfield rd Dreamer outlines our need to cover Salah/Mane for AFCON so it makes zero sense to sign someone else that could also be missing.
I think it makes more sense now to dsign Mbappe!
Well I guess he'd do at a pinch like. I mean people may not have realised it yet but I think it would be a good signing you know! I think I've been rather subtle about it though. Don't think anyone has cottoned on that that's my opinion.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Well I guess he'd do at a pinch like. I mean people may not have realised it yet but I think it would be a good signing you know! I think I've been rather subtle about it though. Don't think anyone has cottoned on that that's my opinion.
Mbappé? You reckon there’s any possible way we can sign him? I’d love the hear how.

vjcpatriot

So Lazio are having their best season for years, legitimately in a title run, yet within weeks of it starting their fans turned on 2 every presents and their best players from recent seasons. What a scum bag club.
It may be true that the Lazio fanbase is reprehensible in their behavior as supporters. But this also opens up an opportunity to pries away a previously unobtainable talent who could really make an impact in that midfield role for LFC. Milinkovic-Savic would not only make an upgrade/replacement for Lallana but he could cover for Keita during AFCON next year as well. That's a benefit worth considering especially with his upside.

PeachesEnRegalia

Epstein didn't kill himself
What would you lads say to something radical this summer? I'm picturing a scenario like this:

Salah and Mane sold to Barca/Real/Bayern/Juve/Whoever for a combined intake of around 250mil

We bring in Havertz, Werner, Sancho, and another backup CB after selling Lovren. Werner and Sancho start up top with Bobby, Havertz plies his trade in the middle of the park.

Advantages are we make money on the deal, we get a LOT younger with some of the top young talent in the world, we don't have to worry about AFCON fucking us in Jan, and we don't have to worry about Mane and Salah agitating for the higher salaries they will rightly deserve after winning the league.

Disadvantage is obviously losing two world class players who score ~20 league goals a season each. Also risk upsetting the squad which is currently very settled and very balanced.

I just think you have to be prepared to make moves like this to stay at the top. Ferguson fucked united by selling their best asset in Ronaldo and never properly replacing him, constantly using the tired old "no value in the market" excuse. We are never going to be a more desirable location than we are now. Securing 3 top young talents like this could see us dominate for years to come, but it's not without massive risk.

Apologize if someone's already suggested this before.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
What would you lads say to something radical this summer? I'm picturing a scenario like this:

Salah and Mane sold to Barca/Real/Bayern/Juve/Whoever for a combined intake of around 250mil

We bring in Havertz, Werner, Sancho, and another backup CB after selling Lovren. Werner and Sancho start up top with Bobby, Havertz plies his trade in the middle of the park.

Advantages are we make money on the deal, we get a LOT younger with some of the top young talent in the world, we don't have to worry about AFCON fucking us in Jan, and we don't have to worry about Mane and Salah agitating for the higher salaries they will rightly deserve after winning the league.

Disadvantage is obviously losing two world class players who score ~20 league goals a season each. Also risk upsetting the squad which is currently very settled and very balanced.

I just think you have to be prepared to make moves like this to stay at the top. Ferguson fucked united by selling their best asset in Ronaldo and never properly replacing him, constantly using the tired old "no value in the market" excuse. We are never going to be a more desirable location than we are now. Securing 3 top young talents like this could see us dominate for years to come, but it's not without massive risk.

Thing is though, this isn't a computer game and Mo and Sadio are not seen as commodities by Klopp , they are people, colleagues and more so friends. This journey we and he has been through with them and all our players means he will always treat them as such and if they leave it will 100% be at their wish and with his blessing. We could't just get that money then buy 4 new guys and expect the same rapport that's been built up over the last few 4 years.
I don't mean that computer game thing as a dig at you by the way, I do see that thrown around alot and if I was playing football manager what you say is probably exactly what I'd do too.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member

Why change possibly one of the greatest sides in football? Make marginal increases from a position of strength but I'd be keeping our core for as long as they want to be here.

Red over the water

We bring in Havertz, Werner, Sancho, and another backup CB after selling Lovren. Werner and Sancho start up top with Bobby, Havertz plies his trade in the middle of the park...
Bold thinking.

Purely on the playing side of it the risk is integrating a new forward line all at once, while also losing guaranteed world class starters. But fortune favours the brave, and in one fell swoop the team would be younger and the trio you named would be at the forefront of writing the next chapter. I would do it. However...

First of all, I'd want to know what Mo and Mane want to do. Are they looking for another challenge? By the summer they would have won everything there is to win with us, and they could conceivably be open to a change. If so, then something big and bold like you mentioned might come into view.

But if Mo and Mane are happy where they are, you don't poke around with that.

If Mo and Mane want to stay we would need evolution, not revolution. At that point I would add Sancho. We need a third top class winger and the age difference between Sancho and Mo/Mane keeps one eye on the future too. But Sancho wouldn't be signed just to wait on the sidelines and bide his time. He can come and make an immediate impact by keeping the overall level high rotating in with Mo/Mane and also covering an AFCON shaped hole next season. He will be a very important player for us right away, and he will see plenty of action.

Not Worthy

Smash. Shit. Corner of the room......