• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Who would you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Frustrating player to watch with the constant falling over but he does protect the ball really well.
So... Just like Lallana at Southampton? :D Joking aside, I've only watched him this season in Premier League (can't stress just how impressed I am with Sheffield United and Norwich, even if Norwich's refusal to be disciplined like today continues to baffle me - I don't think it's only down to injuries). He was at heart of everything Norwich did, scored a couple of goals by making late runs into the box, popped up left, right and centre, tracked back without looking twice... Looks a bit too slim, though, needs some bulking up. The next club that snaps him up could turn him into a 50 million player by the going rates.

Sweeting

The more I watch Cantwell, the more he looks like a player Rafa would have bought for peanuts ages ago or a player Southampton would have bought under Pochettino and then sold him to Liverpool for extortionate sum of money. I'll be very surprised if he isn't in Premier League next season, I hope Liverpool keep him in their radar. He reminds me of Lallana a lot, covers a lot of ground, does a lot of defending, has pretty nimble feet. Scored against Man City, too!
Thought he was absolutely terrible. He wasn't diving, he just doesn't have an ounce of strength in him - fell over every time he was breathed on. Good close control but has no pace, no strength, no particularly great stamina or work ethic.

I kept half an eye on him without the ball and he was utterly absent, left Byram and Lewis on an island, reliant on the midfielders to cover across whilst he floated.

All of which could be forgiven if he was a great attacking talent but he is completely lacking in threat. He had a couple of runs at Trent - the only times he "won" was when Trent got a little too eager and fouled him (for things that wouldn't knock most players over). He had absolutely no way of effecting the play or threatening us. It's rare to see a player who so perfectly encapsulates the phrase "flatters to decieve" - a nice touch here, a one-two there but never actually doing anything.

I can see the comparison to Lallana, but he is a poor shade of Lallana.

I really hope, and expect given our record, that we are not the mugs who drop £30m on Cantwell. Let Leicester or United spunk their money on him.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Hoever has played at right back for the first team, u23s and the Netherlands youth sides.
How often has he played there for the first team??
How can anyone base an opinion on his suitability from this point??

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
How often has he played there for the first team??
How can anyone base an opinion on his suitability from this point??
He's played there in numerous friendlies and against MK Dons and Aston Villa.

He's played there for the academy more than he's played at CB

He plays there for the Netherlands more than he does at CB.

So why wouldn't he be considered an option at right back?

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
He's played there in numerous friendlies and against MK Dons and Aston Villa.

He's played there for the academy more than he's played at CB

He plays there for the Netherlands more than he does at CB.

So why wouldn't he be considered an option at right back?
Ok
Sound, you are right. No need to talk about any possible players to sign at RB. Matt Cash isnt needed. Fuck him.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
The few games of Hoever I saw at RB I thought he is already good enough to be a starter there for some PL teams.

Then Neco appeared and he seems to have an even higher potential at RB than KJH. Fantastic job they are doing in the academy.

Think Hoever wants to be a CB in the future. I know some might not agree but for me he needs to still grow a bit (which we don’t know if it will happen) and get physically stronger (which will definitely happen) to be able to make it as a pro.

Even in the worst case he would make it at RB IMO.

Nikola

Admin
Thought he was absolutely terrible. He wasn't diving, he just doesn't have an ounce of strength in him - fell over every time he was breathed on. Good close control but has no pace, no strength, no particularly great stamina or work ethic.

I kept half an eye on him without the ball and he was utterly absent, left Byram and Lewis on an island, reliant on the midfielders to cover across whilst he floated.

All of which could be forgiven if he was a great attacking talent but he is completely lacking in threat. He had a couple of runs at Trent - the only times he "won" was when Trent got a little too eager and fouled him (for things that wouldn't knock most players over). He had absolutely no way of effecting the play or threatening us. It's rare to see a player who so perfectly encapsulates the phrase "flatters to decieve" - a nice touch here, a one-two there but never actually doing anything.

I can see the comparison to Lallana, but he is a poor shade of Lallana.

I really hope, and expect given our record, that we are not the mugs who drop £30m on Cantwell. Let Leicester or United spunk their money on him.
Don't get me wrong, I'd very be surprised if Liverpool go in for him at this moment but, given how he played throughout the season, I'd also be very surprised if he dropped down the league with Norwich. Liverpool don't let many players look great against them these days, at least when it comes to Premier League anyway. I think he'll end up at a midtable club, I think Southampton could be a decent destination for him because of their manager's style of football (they do a lot of pressing and they need improvement when it comes to retaining the ball). After that, who knows, I'd very much like Liverpool to keep tabs on him as the club are no longer reliant on taking punts on young players and hoping they develop by playing with the first team.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
The few games of Hoever I saw at RB I thought he is already good enough to be a starter there for some PL teams.

Then Neco appeared and he seems to have an even higher potential at RB than KJH. Fantastic job they are doing in the academy.

Think Hoever wants to be a CB in the future. I know some might not agree but for me he needs to still grow a bit (which we don’t know if it will happen) and get physically stronger (which will definitely happen) to be able to make it as a pro.

Even in the worst case he would make it at RB IMO.
I mentioned Matt Cash as an option.
But it seems he is not needed.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Been thinking about Ki-Jana Hoever a bit.

Think him and Gomez are great to have as emergency options at right back especially with experienced seniors like Henderson, Fabinho and Milner. With Alexander-Arnold and Williams it means we are sorted in that position for such a long time I can't imagine us needing to buy a right back again.

Long term we will probably have another great academy product or two breaking through between now and the point Williams decides he needs to move on. That will probably happen eventually but he may not even need to, if he chooses Wales he will probably still be making their squad as starting RB as 2nd choice at one of the best sides on the planet. He might stay satisfied till he is 25/26 in that case.

Ki-Jana Hoever has versatility on his side but don't think he will play much at RB unless Williams or Alexander-Arnold leave or change position. Don't think he will become a great CB in Klopps system where long balls over the top are such a regularly used weapon against us unless he has a late growth spurt. To make it in one of those positions over the next 5 years he would probably have to move on. He might decide that's for the best if he had international ambitions, Netherlands aren't Wales you can't hope to get a place in their squad by being less of a back up than Williams is.

I think our hope of keeping him longer than 3/4 years (which I would want to as he seems a good lad with exceptional skill) will be a change of role. Think the inspiration is in our side too. Fabinho used to be a right back, can be impressive in many ways when he drops to CB but makes an extraordinarily good DM. Not just a tenacious tackle machine like Masch or a bit of a tactical general with playmaking abilities like Alonso. Fab is someone who can do a little bit of everything as well as possessing decent pace. Hoever could play DM in the same way, except for the height deficiency, but that might be less of an issues than at CB.

If, over the next 1-3 seasons, Hoever starts developing into a mini-Fabinho blue print (whilst still providing emergency cover at RB and CB) that could mean he is playing plenty enough in his early 20s to get himself into the Netherlands sides. Especially if we continue at this level his profile will be great. He could then be well established and a quality option by the time Fabinho starts winding down and the back up can take over as the main choice for awhile before the older player inevitably moves on when hopefully another academy graduate is ready to step up as cover.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I don't think there's much merit in deciding now who will be better at RB between Williams and Hoever. Hoever was ahead of Williams at the beginning of this season and is almost a year younger.

It seems like some get the impression Hoever isn't suitable at RB because he's also played centre back but make no mistake about it he is a threat going forward, not just a defensive player.

Both fantastic players, both only 18 and getting games in our first team. Plenty of time to worry about the details later on. Hopefully the competition between the two will spur each other on to improve.

The only thing I am certain of is that these two players is that these two completely negate the need to buy another player to cover right back.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I don't think there's much merit in deciding now who will be better at RB between Williams and Hoever. Hoever was ahead of Williams at the beginning of this season and is almost a year younger.

It seems like some get the impression Hoever isn't suitable at RB because he's also played centre back but make no mistake about it he is a threat going forward, not just a defensive player.

Both fantastic players, both only 18 and getting games in our first team. Plenty of time to worry about the details later on. Hopefully the competition between the two will spur each other on to improve.

The only thing I am certain of is that these two players is that these two completely negate the need to buy another player to cover right back.

....for years to come. Especially as we also have the best right back in the world on our books who also happens to be really young too.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
How many times do you need to make the same point??
You are 100% correct.......Matt Cash, decent player that he is can fuck right off.

waynejones31

TIA Youth Team
Although All the talk about future transfers appears to be around that of Werner , Mbappe, Havertz or Sancho , I have this suspicion that Jurgen will sign someone unexpected from a Premier League club . The signings of Mane, Ox, Robertson , Shaquiri all come out of the blue and weren’t the obvious predicted signings . Although , one of the above big names may be a target , I think Jurgen is lining someone up from inside the Premier League . He sees this league the most and someone would have stood out to him . It’s just that we all are not anticipating it and have no idea who he has been impressed by . I very much doubt two of the above names will be targeted but I expect 3 signings this summer , A Forward probably a wide forward , an attacking midfielder and depending on who leaves CB/LB or someone who can do both .
Can’t wait to see who we target but I think it will be a surprise

Dave-D

Although All the talk about future transfers appears to be around that of Werner , Mbappe, Havertz or Sancho , I have this suspicion that Jurgen will sign someone unexpected from a Premier League club . The signings of Mane, Ox, Robertson , Shaquiri all come out of the blue and weren’t the obvious predicted signings . Although , one of the above big names may be a target , I think Jurgen is lining someone up from inside the Premier League . He sees this league the most and someone would have stood out to him . It’s just that we all are not anticipating it and have no idea who he has been impressed by . I very much doubt two of the above names will be targeted but I expect 3 signings this summer , A Forward probably a wide forward , an attacking midfielder and depending on who leaves CB/LB or someone who can do both .
Can’t wait to see who we target but I think it will be a surprise
Unless it’s from a relegated team I don’t think Klopp will sign any EPL players as the cost is extortionate.
Wouldn't have a problem with Lewis coming in as rotation for Robertson tho.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Saka only has 18 months left on his deal at Arsenal according to Ornstein. Any takers? Apart from Martinelli he's their best young player and is left sided.

He says we're one of the clubs interested, which makes perfect sense. I don't think he'll leave but it would be an excellent deal for us if we could push it through.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
I would give Mohamed Ihattaren from PSV a chance, soon to be Dutch international. Midfielder, young, great skills and seem to have a good head on his shoulders.

Nikola

Admin
Saka only has 18 months left on his deal at Arsenal according to Ornstein. Any takers? Apart from Martinelli he's their best young player and is left sided.

He says we're one of the clubs interested, which makes perfect sense. I don't think he'll leave but it would be an excellent deal for us if we could push it through.
He's a strange, strange type, he looks like he's completely disconnected from the proceedings but then turns on the afterburners and leaves defenders for dead. Martinelli is still my pick of Arsenal players but I can see why this deal would make sense.

GaryBarlow99

Looks a good player and is English to boot.

waynejones31

TIA Youth Team
Unless it’s from a relegated team I don’t think Klopp will sign any EPL players as the cost is extortionate.
Wouldn't have a problem with Lewis coming in as rotation for Robertson tho.
Possible Signings from PL

Norwich - Cantwell, Buendia, Godfrey, Lewis
Watford - Doucoure , Sarr
West Ham - Rice , Anderson
Aston Villa - Grealish , McMinn
Bournemouth - Brooks , Fraser , Cook
Burnley - McNeil
Crystal Palace - Zaha
Newcastle - Longstaff , St Maximin, Lascelles
Southampton - Boufal
Arsenal - Martinelli , Saka
Everton - No One
Man Utd - Won’t Happen
Tottenham - Son , Ali
Wolves. - Jotta, Neto, Neves
Chelsea - Tomori , James , Hudson-Odoi
Leicester - Maddison, Barnes , Ndidi, Chilwell
Man City - Foden, Garcia

loads of players I think Klopp could get and wouldn’t be surprised if one of these we ended up getting , most are a bit unrealistic but I still think we will be shocked by who Klopp chases

Status
Not open for further replies.