Who would you buy?

Dave-D

Although All the talk about future transfers appears to be around that of Werner , Mbappe, Havertz or Sancho , I have this suspicion that Jurgen will sign someone unexpected from a Premier League club . The signings of Mane, Ox, Robertson , Shaquiri all come out of the blue and weren’t the obvious predicted signings . Although , one of the above big names may be a target , I think Jurgen is lining someone up from inside the Premier League . He sees this league the most and someone would have stood out to him . It’s just that we all are not anticipating it and have no idea who he has been impressed by . I very much doubt two of the above names will be targeted but I expect 3 signings this summer , A Forward probably a wide forward , an attacking midfielder and depending on who leaves CB/LB or someone who can do both .
Can’t wait to see who we target but I think it will be a surprise
Unless it’s from a relegated team I don’t think Klopp will sign any EPL players as the cost is extortionate.
Wouldn't have a problem with Lewis coming in as rotation for Robertson tho.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Saka only has 18 months left on his deal at Arsenal according to Ornstein. Any takers? Apart from Martinelli he's their best young player and is left sided.

He says we're one of the clubs interested, which makes perfect sense. I don't think he'll leave but it would be an excellent deal for us if we could push it through.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
I would give Mohamed Ihattaren from PSV a chance, soon to be Dutch international. Midfielder, young, great skills and seem to have a good head on his shoulders.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Saka only has 18 months left on his deal at Arsenal according to Ornstein. Any takers? Apart from Martinelli he's their best young player and is left sided.

He says we're one of the clubs interested, which makes perfect sense. I don't think he'll leave but it would be an excellent deal for us if we could push it through.
He's a strange, strange type, he looks like he's completely disconnected from the proceedings but then turns on the afterburners and leaves defenders for dead. Martinelli is still my pick of Arsenal players but I can see why this deal would make sense.

GaryBarlow99

Looks a good player and is English to boot.

waynejones31

TIA Youth Team
Unless it’s from a relegated team I don’t think Klopp will sign any EPL players as the cost is extortionate.
Wouldn't have a problem with Lewis coming in as rotation for Robertson tho.
Possible Signings from PL

Norwich - Cantwell, Buendia, Godfrey, Lewis
Watford - Doucoure , Sarr
West Ham - Rice , Anderson
Aston Villa - Grealish , McMinn
Bournemouth - Brooks , Fraser , Cook
Burnley - McNeil
Crystal Palace - Zaha
Newcastle - Longstaff , St Maximin, Lascelles
Southampton - Boufal
Arsenal - Martinelli , Saka
Everton - No One
Man Utd - Won’t Happen
Tottenham - Son , Ali
Wolves. - Jotta, Neto, Neves
Chelsea - Tomori , James , Hudson-Odoi
Leicester - Maddison, Barnes , Ndidi, Chilwell
Man City - Foden, Garcia

loads of players I think Klopp could get and wouldn’t be surprised if one of these we ended up getting , most are a bit unrealistic but I still think we will be shocked by who Klopp chases

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
With the injury/availability history of our CBs (including Gomez potentially playing FB sometimes) I still toy with the idea that we should pet both Matip and Lovren go for one younger CB coming in.

When I've thought of the qualities Klopp would want/need at CB it (in my opinion) breaks down like this;

Quick (due to having to deal with fast counters when we play our high line), tall/good in the air (as one of the only chances opposition teams have against us is balls over the top or crosses/set plays into the box), physically robust (it's the Prem League and I still don't think we get as much protection as some other big clubs), good at passing (doesn't have to be amazing but needs to hold their own) and at least a bit of football intelligence (so Klopp can work with them and teach them what to spot and think about).

In the past a few players of various quality levels have ticked most or all of those boxes but one that has popped up a few times now is Jonathan Tah. He doesn't seem that popular and maybe he wouldn't be a great suggestion in some other defensive set ups but I just can't shake the feeling he would be a great fit in our set up.

Apparently he could be available this summer for as little as £33.5 million due to a clause.

If they don't make the CL it would be around £33.5 million to sign him in an early deal before the tournament, hes on around 80k a week so we could offer a pay rise. Competition would apparently be Arsenal and Atletico Madrid (a club with a great recruitment track record so if true they are interested that's another positive sign).

Could all still be a nonsense, we could continue with Matip, Tah could decide staying in Germany is better for him, they could finish in CL spots making an unknown increase to the size of the fee required. But whenever I do think about the CB situation his name keeps ending up in the short list, kind of like Fabinho did for me for a while when thinking about DM. If a move for Tah happens it really wouldn't surprise me.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
I think for CB, Klopp is more than happy to stay with the options we have. Its more about whether Matip, Lovren or even Gomez is happy to stay as options. Right now, Gomez is the first choice to partner VVD. But Matip and even Lovren is good enough definitely to partner VVD anytime although I hope Gomez stays fit for a long time as he would definitely be our future. But Matip and Lovren nearing the end of their careers might want to have one last shot at a reasonably top club in Europe as first choice especially if they win the PL with us, they would have already have won major honours with us so might be keen for a new challenge if they see no way to dislodge Gomez. But if one of them leave, I do not necessarlily see Klopp going for players like Tah considering we have a couple of bright young CB who may or may not make it. So someone in the late 20s, who have plenty of experience and not come at huge price tag and willing to play as a squad might be what Klopp would look at, someone like Matip when we got him for free.

With Lallana leaving for sure it seems, I hope his spot is taken up by Jones or Grujic and no need to buy anyone there, as proven, this season, we did not use Lallana that often so having Jones or Grujic fit would be a bonus option for us as well as developing them into our system.

I would however still hope for an attacking player to be brought in. Amongst the 4 names being rotated with us, Sancho, Werner, Havertz and Mbappe, I definitely would go for Werner. He is more than capable to play as one of the forward three and strangely, does not command as high a price despite his consistent performances last few seasons. I am very wary about paying the prices quoted for the other 3. Look at Felix and Dembele, 2 of the brightest young players and yet performing nowhere near the high standards required of them in the top leagues. Not saying Sancho, Havertz and Mbappe cannot succeed, but the fact is, none of them have proven to be worth more than 100mil yet. Even Mbappe who is scoring freely in the French league is...precisely, only in the French league. Paying 100s of million for any of them, while its not their fault, means they are expected to perform immediately to the high standard required of them. We cannot be paying 120 mil for Sancho and say hey we only expect you to be great in 3 seasons time. So Werner would seem a more reasonable buy in the value/performance/risk ratio. However, I am sure Klopp would have identify plenty of players in those positions who might come even at lower prices and plenty of upside in terms of coached performances.

Looking forward to how Klopp builds and solidifies the team next season.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Sorry @gasband I was already working on the assumption that Lovren was off this summer, it seems to be what is getting said by the guys with ties to the club. I was more musing on whether we should let Matip go at the same time.

If it is just Lovren leaving I agree with @Mascot88 that Fabinho dropping back to CB would be seen for a fair few games and with @Sweeting that Phillips will be kept around for a bit as a back up option. Those two internal solutions plus the promising youth players would be enough.

But if Matip leaves too he will need replacing by an established, senior, CB capable of starting week in week out as he might be needed. Ideally without too much drop off from Gomez and VvD.

When looking at the way we set up our backline a lot of very good quality CBs would struggle and some that may be considered of dubious quality may flourish. Its more about the skills and traits the player possesses that will make it a success. Had these discussions couple summers ago as to why VvD was the perfect match for us and worth huge fees when more established CBs with more impressive resumes were available at less and being ignored.

As towards age and experience Tah may have only just turned 24 but hes already played over 140 games in Bundesliga and been capped for Germany 9 times (likely to quickly increase). I don't see why we should go for an older player for the sake of going for an older player. If he ticks all the boxes him being 4 years younger is just an added bonus.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Sorry @gasband I was already working on the assumption that Lovren was off this summer, it seems to be what is getting said by the guys with ties to the club. I was more musing on whether we should let Matip go at the same time.

If it is just Lovren leaving I agree with @Mascot88 that Fabinho dropping back to CB would be seen for a fair few games and with @Sweeting that Phillips will be kept around for a bit as a back up option. Those two internal solutions plus the promising youth players would be enough.

But if Matip leaves too he will need replacing by an established, senior, CB capable of starting week in week out as he might be needed. Ideally without too much drop off from Gomez and VvD.

When looking at the way we set up our backline a lot of very good quality CBs would struggle and some that may be considered of dubious quality may flourish. Its more about the skills and traits the player possesses that will make it a success. Had these discussions couple summers ago as to why VvD was the perfect match for us and worth huge fees when more established CBs with more impressive resumes were available at less and being ignored.

As towards age and experience Tah may have only just turned 24 but hes already played over 140 games in Bundesliga and been capped for Germany 9 times (likely to quickly increase). I don't see why we should go for an older player for the sake of going for an older player. If he ticks all the boxes him being 4 years younger is just an added bonus.
I agree age is not an issue but biggest problem are expectations. An older player like when Matip comes at late 20s, might be more willing and more patient to play a squad role but Tah might be in good demand and might rather go to a "lesser" European team to be promised first 11 place. Thats my only concern. Of course if a player like Tah is willing to come and fight for his place and be patient, more than happy for him to come if Klopp wants him.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I agree age is not an issue but biggest problem are expectations. An older player like when Matip comes at late 20s, might be more willing and more patient to play a squad role but Tah might be in good demand and might rather go to a "lesser" European team to be promised first 11 place. Thats my only concern. Of course if a player like Tah is willing to come and fight for his place and be patient, more than happy for him to come if Klopp wants him.
I think "first 11" is really just a fan consideration these days, it really doesn't stand up to scrutiny when looking how much players do actually play at clubs. But I think you've got your ages wrong anyway. Players of 30+ fit what you are describing, players who have been there done that. Players 27-30 are usually considered at their peak and more likely to want to play all the time. A player of Tah's age may well be willing to move to one of the best teams on the planet, with one of the best exposures on the planet, working with one of the best managers for developing talent. Go there, get more famous, become a better player, play a fair bit, win some medals and if he isn't happy with playing time in 3/4 years at 27/28 he can move on when down to last year or two on contract. Still in his prime. Keeping in mind VvD will be turning 29 this summer so 3/4 years he will be 32/33 and maybe at that stage when Hyypia started playing less for us or maybe even have moved on full stop.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I wouldnt be in a rush to move Matip on if he is content with his role here.
I’ve been an advocate of moving on Matip and Lovren and buying a Centre Back who won’t be out for three months at a time with a slight knock.

But your scenario is the most likely. Matip (having only just signed a contract) stays and Lovren departs, leaving @ubermick with a search for a new player to offer a lift to the airport.

We’ll go ahead with Matip, Gomez and Van Dijk, with Fabinho playing ten games at Centre Back, and further depth from Hoever and Sepp.

In fact, I think there is a scenario this summer in which we again do very little business, moving out the lads we expect to go (Lovren, Lallana, Shaqiri, Wilson) and replacing them with youngsters like Elliot, Curtis Jones and Chirivella.

Of course there is another scenario whereby we absolutely obliterate the market with moves for Havertz, Sancho and Werner.

I think it will closer to the former end of the spectrum.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Of course there is another scenario whereby we absolutely obliterate the market with moves for Havertz, Sancho and Werner.

I think it will closer to the former end of the spectrum.
Glad you've come onboard the spendy spend bus.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Don't see the sense in moving Matip and replacing him with lesser quality. He should be happy with a squad role given his fitness issues.

As for CB, I like Upamecano for Leipzig. Very physical and dominant but sometimes a bit rash.

Another one of their players would could do a job for us is Klostermann...plays at full back or in a back 3 but could probably play in our system as a CB. Very quick, good on the ball, tall enough. Talented player.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Don't see the sense in moving Matip and replacing him with lesser quality. He should be happy with a squad role given his fitness issues.

As for CB, I like Upamecano for Leipzig. Very physical and dominant but sometimes a bit rash.

Another one of their players would could do a job for us is Klostermann...plays at full back or in a back 3 but could probably play in our system as a CB. Very quick, good on the ball, tall enough. Talented player.
Klostermann sounds like an ideal recruit to address our LB cover deficiency then maybe? We have probably the best LB in the world and a player who only plays LB covering him seems a bit much. A versatile player who plays LB as one of his positions seems a better idea. Can Klostermann play Klopps style fullback? I'm not that familiar with the player to be fair.

Dave-D

Don’t expect Matip to go anywhere, Lovren on the other hand I expect to depart. I would be very on board with the Lovren replacement also being cover for Robertson. Yes that would mean him being LCB cover and not RCB cover but it would solve two problems and guarantee the player a large chunk of minutes.
Who that player is I don’t know but thought I’d add my two pennies worth.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Klostermann sounds like an ideal recruit to address our LB cover deficiency then maybe? We have probably the best LB in the world and a player who only plays LB covering him seems a bit much. A versatile player who plays LB as one of his positions seems a better idea. Can Klostermann play Klopps style fullback? I'm not that familiar with the player to be fair.
I don’t know the player, but I would have thought we’d be looking more at a midfielder who can defend, rather than a defender who can attack, if that makes sense?

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
I’ve been an advocate of moving on Matip and Lovren and buying a Centre Back who won’t be out for three months at a time with a slight knock.
[...]
This is a contrived narrative.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Klostermann plays right back for them, and currently on the right of the back three with both Konate and Orban injured. Upamecano didn't play either yesterday, don't know if he's injured or suspended.

Halstenberg is their left back normally, but now plays on the left of the back three. Not sure he's the right type of player for us - built more as a centre back than a full back - but he's good.

Edit: I think they both play as wing backs when the first choice centre backs are fit, so they're not bad going forward. But they haven't struck me as Liverpool type full backs.

Last edited:

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Klostermann plays right back for them, and currently on the right of the back three with both Konate and Orban injured. Upamecano didn't play either yesterday, don't know if he's injured or suspended.

Halstenberg is their left back normally, but now plays on the left of the back three. Not sure he's the right type of player for us - built more as a centre back than a full back - but he's good.

Edit: I think they both play as wing backs when the first choice centre backs are fit, so they're not bad going forward. But they haven't struck me as Liverpool type full backs.
Thinking I'm agreeing more with @Mascot88 anyway when thinking about it. The way Klopp uses his full backs is more in line with a traditional winger or CM that can also be defensively savvy and make tackles more than a centre back that can play wide. Maybe someone who people are currently more used to seeing wide in 442 or CM in some structure? Makes it a lot harder to predict who though.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Thinking I'm agreeing more with @Mascot88 anyway when thinking about it. The way Klopp uses his full backs is more in line with a traditional winger or CM that can also be defensively savvy and make tackles more than a centre back that can play wide. Maybe someone who people are currently more used to seeing wide in 442 or CM in some structure? Makes it a lot harder to predict who though.
Yeah, I'm thinking it will be Milner until he can't do it anymore, and then maybe Gini takes over. If we sign someone I think it will be a young development prospect who also plays other positions.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Yeah, I'm thinking it will be Milner until he can't do it anymore, and then maybe Gini takes over. If we sign someone I think it will be a young development prospect who also plays other positions.
I agree on Milner but Wijnaldum is not as young as his youthful complexion may make you think. Milner did a fantastic job a couple of years ago covering LB for us but after over half a season of playing week in week out he was doing worse and worse and even his superman standard fitness levels were struggling to cope. Milner is 4 and a half years older than Wijnaldum so if Milner covers for rest of this season and next season then Wijnaldum would be about the same age Milner was. As much as I like and rate Wijnaldum I don't think his fitness levels and ability to adapt to new positions will quite match what Milners were then. I think with the demands Klopp puts on his fullbacks I'm not sure having a player coming towards the end of their playing career is right. Unless its Milner and even with him hes great to cover Robbo for a game or two but it would be worrying if he had to cover for a stretch due to injuries. Playing that demanding of a role week in week out is probably beyond him now.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
I agree on Milner but Wijnaldum is not as young as his youthful complexion may make you think. Milner did a fantastic job a couple of years ago covering LB for us but after over half a season of playing week in week out he was doing worse and worse and even his superman standard fitness levels were struggling to cope. Milner is 4 and a half years older than Wijnaldum so if Milner covers for rest of this season and next season then Wijnaldum would be about the same age Milner was. As much as I like and rate Wijnaldum I don't think his fitness levels and ability to adapt to new positions will quite match what Milners were then. I think with the demands Klopp puts on his fullbacks I'm not sure having a player coming towards the end of their playing career is right. Unless its Milner and even with him hes great to cover Robbo for a game or two but it would be worrying if he had to cover for a stretch due to injuries. Playing that demanding of a role week in week out is probably beyond him now.
Gini is incredibly fit and athletic though, and highly intelligent and disciplined as well. I think he's a player who will do an excellent job anywhere on the pitch, including full back. But we'll see, difficult to know how Klopp sees it. Just a possible solution that would make sense to me.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Gini is incredibly fit and athletic though, and highly intelligent and disciplined as well. I think he's a player who will do an excellent job anywhere on the pitch, including full back. But we'll see, difficult to know how Klopp sees it. Just a possible solution that would make sense to me.
Yeah and I see why you're saying it. But if there is anyone who trumps Wijnaldum on adaptability and fitness its Milner. Milner was one of the most defensive wingers and attacking mids in the league but they weren't massive traits in Wijnaldums locker hes learnt what he knows from Klopp and Milner still trumps him on that. Milner would naturally adapt to full back better of the two. And have the better fitness to cope with it. But Milner would still struggle with months of week in week out games. Wijnaldum hasn't even adapted to the position yet. He would only get cameos and the odd game to adapt then, if needed for awhile due to a Robbo injury, he would have to cope with something incredibly demanding that Milner now struggles with.

jay90

matip was 24 when he signed and went straight into our first xi.. ?

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Mbappe, Sancho, Havertz, Aouar

- the best players under 22
- could be set for a transfer in the next 1,5 years
- are already good enough to be LFC players
- 'sky is the limit' potential

Who else could be added to that list?