Who would you buy?

Herb

If Grealish was available for a similar fee I’d much rather go for him. Pretty much the same profile of player but imo is currently levels above Cantwell and with a higher ceiling. Seems to have matured past his supposed mentality issues and now finally looks ready to make a step up.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Mbappe, Sancho, Havertz, Aouar

- the best players under 22
- could be set for a transfer in the next 1,5 years
- are already good enough to be LFC players
- 'sky is the limit' potential

Who else could be added to that list?
Alphonso Davies when he gets bored of Bayern.

Upamecano is coming into the last year of his contract.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Alphonso Davies when he gets bored of Bayern.
From the most basic of basic layman's knowledge it looks like he could be considered versatile. If we were to go for a player who can play left back but also other positions too do you think he could be a contender? What's his style at left back? Too attacking? Or could he adapt to a Klopp style full back? Is he attacking enough to be an option as a wide forward for us? I'm sure Klopp would take great pleasure taking a promising young player off them.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
From the most basic of basic layman's knowledge it looks like he could be considered versatile. If we were to go for a player who can play left back but also other positions too do you think he could be a contender? What's his style at left back? Too attacking? Or could he adapt to a Klopp style full back? Is he attacking enough to be an option as a wide forward for us? I'm sure Klopp would take great pleasure taking a promising young player off them.
He was originally bought by Bayern as a left winger and transitioned into a left back.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
He was originally bought by Bayern as a left winger and transitioned into a left back.
Generally think that our fullbacks play more like traditional box to box centre mids (good going both ways) or side midfielders (traditional wingers not wide forwards) so that might work. Klopp doesn't use wing backs but they definitely need better attacking skills, crossing, passing etc than your usual full back too. Not going to lie the idea of getting big enough to start taking good players off the likes of Bayern, Barca and Real when they don't want to lose them is a damn attractive idea.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Generally think that our fullbacks play more like traditional box to box centre mids (good going both ways) or side midfielders (traditional wingers not wide forwards) so that might work. Klopp doesn't use wing backs but they definitely need better attacking skills, crossing, passing etc than your usual full back too. Not going to lie the idea of getting big enough to start taking good players off the likes of Bayern, Barca and Real when they don't want to lose them is a damn attractive idea.
Goretzka might fall into that category as well.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Goretzka might fall into that category as well.
I think that's why it's sometimes hard to pick players to match what Klopp will do these days. Klopp and his recruitment team look at skills and attributes not where their current club are playing them or how. A quick striker at another club could come in as a wide player or a CM be played at FB like you say.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
I think that's why it's sometimes hard to pick players to match what Klopp will do these days. Klopp and his recruitment team look at skills and attributes not where their current club are playing them or how. A quick striker at another club could come in as a wide player or a CM be played at FB like you say.
Perhaps, but I wasn't suggesting Goretzka could be played as a FB. I mentioned him as someone at Bayern who we were previously interested in who we might try and sign as he enters the last two years of his contract.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Perhaps, but I wasn't suggesting Goretzka could be played as a FB. I mentioned him as someone at Bayern who we were previously interested in who we might try and sign as he enters the last two years of his contract.
Sorry misunderstood. Think Klopp is quite particular on that though, not sure he would go in for a player who rejected Liverpool for a different club. Unable to move to Liverpool and still loyal to that move later when we can complete it like VvD yeah. But Klopp talked a lot about wanting to sign players wanting to push the train or something. Seems if we went back for Goretzka now it would kind of diminish that stance.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
(I promise I'm not trying to follow you around the forum, you just post a lot.)

I think you're overstating this quite a bit.

Only Firmino and Wijnaldum seem to have changed 'primary' position while at Liverpool. Even in those cases, it was not unheard of for them to play in the position at their previous club(s): at the risk of incurring @ILLOK's ire about using Transfermarkt data, Wijnaldum did play regularly as a CM at PSV even if his major role was a bit further forward at AM (Newcastle seem to be the first to regularly use him in a wide attacking position, so I don't necessarily buy that he was a "winger"); likewise, there's some evidence that Firmino had games as a forward at Hoffenheim. Regardless, in either case the difference between being an AM to CM, or SS to false nine is relatively minor.

(Incidentally, if we had a 'natural' CF of the required skill and fitness in 2016/17 [Sturridge, crocked; Ings, crocked; Origi, not good enough], maybe Bobby would still be playing behind the forwards today.)

I think there's a better case for saying that Klopp will first look to find solutions in the squad in unexpected ways than necessarily try to sign a player. See: Milner's stint as a left-back, Hendo's multiple roles in midfield, squeezing the last bit of mileage out of Lallana, Wijnaldum's occasional use as a '6' and once as a CB [:LOL:], etc. But it doesn't really seem that Klopp/Edwards recruit to change a player's usage dramatically. Ox has moved back to the middle after being forced out wide by an Arsenal side looking for solutions in weird places, but everyone else signed under Klopp is basically used how you would expect.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I've only seen him play a handful of times, but...

He's incredibly athletic and looks like he knows what to do with the ball, far from a kick and run merchant. So yeah, players like that tend to be able to adapt to a number of positions. There's no reason why he would only be able to play as a left back as far as I can see.

@GermanRed put forward the idea of the best u22 players and Davies is easily one of the best I've seen play this season. He might do a Bale in the future, or he might just stay at LB, either way he will probably be playing for the better teams in Europe throughout his career, he looks too good not to.

Limiescouse

I've only seen him play a handful of times, but...

He's incredibly athletic and looks like he knows what to do with the ball, far from a kick and run merchant. So yeah, players like that tend to be able to adapt to a number of positions. There's no reason why he would only be able to play as a left back as far as I can see.

@GermanRed put forward the idea of the best u22 players and Davies is easily one of the best I've seen play this season. He might do a Bale in the future, or he might just stay at LB, either way he will probably be playing for the better teams in Europe throughout his career, he looks too good not to.
I don't think he has the chops to be a left sided forward at this level. But that is based on a small sample, and he is still young. He has looked really good at FB though. One of the things that is key about that transition is learning to love the defensive side, and from what I've seen he's adapted to that pretty well.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Ismaila Sarr could be the one to watch in Premier League. Very raw, a bit like Origi but I have a feeling that his mental frame will lead him to become a better player than Origi in the future, possibly much more than that (and he didn't come cheap anyway). I've actually noticed him at World Cup but I think I had read about him prior to it, which very likely influenced my perception of him. Still, for the last few weeks, he's been a bright spark at Watford, like the whole team, he's turning his fortunes around.
I stand by this, not just because he gave Liverpool's defence a runaround tonight. When he fully settles in England and Premier League, he's going to be a very good player. Still raw but he just bossed it against Premier League leaders while battling relegation. He's up for a fight, alright.

Red over the water

This summer I’d go for 3 key players to refresh us going forward:

Sancho
Havertz
Werner

The sting in the tail is Mo might go. He looks a bit flat to me and some of the joy has evaporated. He might want a new challenge after winning the lot with us, and if so, I won’t begrudge him. My guess is he has another big move in mind, could be a Spanish giant or maybe PSG.

I would also sell Origi as he needs to play regularly. Decent player, definite cult hero status here, but we need something more.

Sancho in, Mo out... price similar, or we might be slightly ahead.
Werner in, Origi out... we’d be slightly behind, even with Werner’s rumored £50M clause.

Financially speaking both of these deals would work out about even, overall.

How do we pay for Havertz? We didn’t spend much last summer, so there’s a sense in which we have been saving up. So that should cover most of the fee, but we will also sell a couple other players who probably won’t make it here.

Mo and Origi gone.
Sancho, Werner and Havertz come in.

We‘d have more creativity in midfield, goals, pace, trickery, assists... the lot really. And the age comes down and an all conquering, refreshed team, will emerge.

We need another left back too.

Last edited:

Red over the water

PS - With Mane, Firmino, Sancho, Havertz and Werner there would be a lot of depth, possibly one too many. At that point Havertz makes sense with his flexibility, as he can play midfield as well as higher up the pitch or out wide.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
This summer I’d go for 3 key players to refresh us going forward:

Sancho
Havertz
Werner

The sting in the tail is Mo might go. He looks a bit flat to me and some of the joy has evaporated. He might want a new challenge after winning the lot with us, and if so, I won’t begrudge him. My guess is he has another big move in mind, could be a Spanish giant or maybe PSG.

I would also sell Origi as he needs to play regularly. Decent player, definite cult hero status here, but we need something more.

Sancho in, Mo out... price similar, or we might be slightly ahead.
Werner in, Origi out... we’d be slightly behind, even with Werner’s rumored £50M clause.

Financially speaking both of these deals would work out about even, overall.

How do we pay for Havertz? We didn’t spend much last summer, so there’s a sense in which we have been saving up. So that should cover most of the fee, but we will also sell a couple other players who probably won’t make it here.

Mo and Origi gone.
Sancho, Werner and Havertz come in.

We have more creativity in midfield, goals, pace, trickery, assists... the lot really. And the age comes down and an all conquering, refreshed team, will emerge.

We need another left back too.
Yep. Philipp Max. Job done.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Salah, most efficient goal scorer a historic team like us has ever seen, sold for similar money than Sancho would cost? The holder of the goal scoring record in a league that has held the likes of Ronaldo, Shearer, Suarez and Henry?

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Salah, most efficient goal scorer a historic team like us has ever seen, sold for similar money than Sancho would cost? The holder of the goal scoring record in a league that has held the likes of Ronaldo, Shearer, Suarez and Henry?
You’re right. Should be £200m. Basically going for Neymar money.

But the situation gets complicated. I think Mo Salah will want to get off at some point, and probably everyone is clear on that. But we’ve put a price on him that nobody can pay.

It’s a bit of an awkward one.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
You’re right. Should be £200m. Basically going for Neymar money.

But the situation gets complicated. I think Mo Salah will want to get off at some point, and probably everyone is clear on that. But we’ve put a price on him that nobody can pay.

It’s a bit of an awkward one.
I actually think Mane and Salah are just as likely as each other to stay or go to be honest. Mane maybe a higher chance as there is more chance of someone being able to afford him. As you say the kind of price tag that would need to be paid for Salah limits it to maybe (MAYBE!) City (wouldn't sell to a rival), PSG (would he take a move to a back water league after finally starting to get the kind of recognition he's getting), Real (probably his 2nd least favourite club after Chelsea due to that injury) and Barca (if they stop wasting their money and also don't bring back Neymar). I'm really not sure I see a situation where we sell Salah unless it's at way less than his worth. Even clubs that in theory could afford him they have other stuff going on like Neymar, Mbappe or FFP and he might not go to them too.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
(I promise I'm not trying to follow you around the forum, you just post a lot.)

I think you're overstating this quite a bit.

Only Firmino and Wijnaldum seem to have changed 'primary' position while at Liverpool. Ox has moved back to the middle after being forced out wide by an Arsenal side looking for solutions in weird places, but everyone else signed under Klopp is basically used how you would expect.
I thought Ox was always a wide player before coming here? The switch at Arsenal being to wing back, rather than simply being moved out wide?

richieh10

That Cantwell looks like he could be Adam Lallana minus 15 years.
Think he could be an option.

timo Werner seems to be a lot of noise around that one. We’ll see

MarcusBerglund

We have a very strond squad and I don't see need of drastic changes, but still every team needs refreshment and competition for places. And when you have strong and healthy competition for places, it could only bring the best of every player.

Last season saw Robbo playing his best football, but he knew that Moreno was waiting for his chance /yeah, I know that Albie wasn't the bext example, but still he was an option for Klopp/. Now Robbo knows that he has zero competiton for his position and look at his numbers? They are dropping massively during the last 3-4 months.

Signing Fabinho lead to a better version of Hendo and Gini also improved.

Adrian's presence led to Alssion stepping up his game and doing even better than last season.

In center back we have 4 players and the rivalry between all of them brought the best of Matip last season and this season we see the best of Gomez.

I really think that we need to sign at least 3 new players during the summer.

Left back - we need a real competiton for Andy, player who will push him even more and someone who can step up when needed and also giving Andy a breather.

Central midfielder - Lallana is leaving, Shaqiri /who is an option for number 10/ is leaving, Gini /his contrac expires next summer and still no news of a new contract/and Hendo are entering into their /30's/, Milner is 34. AOC and Keita are solid options, but they are both injury prone and at 25-26 years old they are not our midfidl leadres I expected them to be.
So I'd like to see Havertz, Aouar or van den Beeck adding more creativity in midfield.

Forward - Sancho is my preferred choice, he is simply world class player, his numbers are fantastic, he is english, willing to learn and improve. Salah will miss 1/3 or 1/4 of of next season /OG and then ACON/, Mane will also be in Africa next January. Firmino will play at Copa America this summer. These guys play a lot of football, they are not robots, injuries, fatigue and drop of form are expected.
Werner is also a very good option, but he will need to adapt to playing on the wings. I know that Timo is the more probable transfer because of his price /around 30 mln. pounds according to Sport1 in Germany, not the quoted price of 50 mln. pounds in England/, but in my opinion we can sign and accomodate both of Sancho and Werner.

And I know it is hars, but still of PSG offer us 150+ mln. pounds for Salah I will teake the money and use them to sign two of the most exciting prospects in European football in Werner and Sancho.

Selling Origi, Shaqiri, Grujic, Wilson, Ejaria /3,5 mln. pounds becoming offical this summer/, Karius, Awoniyi will add another 70-80 mln. pounds that can pay most of the transfer fee for Havertz.

And of course I am sure that Edwards and Klopp can unearth another gem for left back for 10-15 mln. pounds.

GaryBarlow99

I'd love to buy a playmaker who can control midfield and create chances out of nothing but as has been said time and again we don't really play with one. Fekir or Phil would have been nice to have yesterday.