Who would you buy?

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
I have a sneak suspecion we'll be going for Aouar in the summer, our first choice is Havertz but we wont pay the fee. He plays no.8 or no.10 primarily more left sided - i.e. the Gini role. A player who is exceptional under pressure and retains the ball, and can play intricate football on the edge of the box, driving from deep to join the front line.. May need to improve his defensive game but at 21 looks a like what we need.

Gini will be allowed to leave when his contract ends (another year), Lallana leaves this summer, Milner is offered a part-coaching role.

This leaves us the following;

no.6 - Fabinho, Henderson
no.8's - Henderson, Chamberlain, Aouar, Keita

I think long term we really need a proper battler in there - The Henderson mk2. Wonder is Sweeting knows of any young lads who may be coming through?

In the market the only ones I can think of are Neves and Barella... Declan Rice at a push?
What about Grujic? Wouldn't he fit the "battler" role? Or is it assumed that he'll be sold off?

Flobs

FADA
I have a sneak suspecion we'll be going for Aouar in the summer
Oh no, not more negociations with that stupid president. :cry: anyway isn't he earmarked for PSG no wait Juventus ... o_O
is 70-80 million euros worth it in comparison to what we might have to pay for Havertz?

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Love Milner, he got MOTM mainly due to fighting for everything which no-one else did.. that isn’t enough though, we were massively blunted without Robbo. Really need a proper option for him come summer so he can be rested and we retain the shape and structures a left footer brings.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
Lallana will be leaving so we need as close to a like for like alternative, the only player that we have been linked to that fills this void is Havertz, except he is better.

koptician

We'll go again!
Lallana will be leaving so we need as close to a like for like alternative, the only player that we have been linked to that fills this void is Havertz, except he is better.
wouldn't mind buendia from norwich as a replacement

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Alain St. Maximin anyone?
Insane skill and pace, almost no end product. I've known him for a while but he didn't progress at all, I think. Reminds me a lot of Adama Traore in that regards, he was also a headless chicken for quite a while and then Espirito Santo managed to turn him into a dangerous weapon of a player. Maybe someone will do that Saint-Maximin, too, but I don't think it will happen at Liverpool, Klopp probably wants a different kind of player.

SirBillShankly

God help and protect us.
What about Grujic? Wouldn't he fit the "battler" role? Or is it assumed that he'll be sold off?
Exactly what I was thinking. Don't watch the Bundesliga but read something about him developing nicely. Good size, class on the ball. Maybe he may be an option for next season that's being overlooked?

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Exactly what I was thinking. Don't watch the Bundesliga but read something about him developing nicely. Good size, class on the ball. Maybe he may be an option for next season that's being overlooked?
The manager changes at Berlin were not good for him. He was a clear starter under Dardai and Covic.

Often sitting on bench under Klinsmann and Nouri.

With the new investor they might be able to buy him but I think they already brought Santiago Ascacibar for his position.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Love Milner, he got MOTM mainly due to fighting for everything which no-one else did.. that isn’t enough though, we were massively blunted without Robbo. Really need a proper option for him come summer so he can be rested and we retain the shape and structures a left footer brings.
Jamal Lewis is the obvious option when Norwich go down. Good athlete, decent going forward, good attitude.

The other options from the premier league would be McNeil from Burnley and Saka. Both have played further forward more than left back but that's not necessarily a bad thing. McNeil is not very realistic but Saka is on a free at the end of the season.

We've had good success with the style of football we've played over the last 24-30 months but I think we'll have to become a bit more adaptable next season with the AFCON and opponents working us out a bit more/our players getting tired, or simply just things going a bit stale. To me, that means a bit more technical quality around the side and playing through the middle more at times. Havertz, Aouar and Buendia are players I like that would add something a bit different.

Nikola

Admin
Jamal Lewis is the obvious option when Norwich go down. Good athlete, decent going forward, good attitude.

The other options from the premier league would be McNeil from Burnley and Saka. Both have played further forward more than left back but that's not necessarily a bad thing. McNeil is not very realistic but Saka is on a free at the end of the season.

We've had good success with the style of football we've played over the last 24-30 months but I think we'll have to become a bit more adaptable next season with the AFCON and opponents working us out a bit more/our players getting tired, or simply just things going a bit stale. To me, that means a bit more technical quality around the side and playing through the middle more at times. Havertz, Aouar and Buendia are players I like that would add something a bit different.
Fully agree on Lewis but why do you think McNeil is unrealistic, he's on a long term contract there? I like him, he looks the most progressive player at Burnley, though I find it funny that their winger would most likely be a fullback in a different side, i.e. not an agricultural one.

Saka will probably extend his deal at Arsenal, I know I would if I was him. Not sure if he ends up at fullback or wing but he's an interesting, puzzling prospect.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Fully agree on Lewis but why do you think McNeil is unrealistic, he's on a long term contract there? I like him, he looks the most progressive player at Burnley, though I find it funny that their winger would most likely be a fullback in a different side, i.e. not an agricultural one.

Saka will probably extend his deal at Arsenal, I know I would if I was him. Not sure if he ends up at fullback or wing but he's an interesting, puzzling prospect.
I assume he is under contract for a while meaning he'd be too expensive for a back up left back, unless he would also be seen as a totally different option to the left wing than we're used to.

Dave-D

Saka has a contract until next summer but now could still be the tome to get in there for him especially when Arsenal have PEA contract situation to deal with and he’s significantly more important to them just now than Saka is.

But out of the three mentioned Lewis would be my number one target.

Notasuperfan

The players you suggested are quite good, but there are some pertinent questions.

1. I wonder does Jamal Lewis and Emi Buendia have a relegation escape clause?
2.Will Lewis be willing to rotate with Andy Robertson with Robbo starting 70% of the league games and certainly all the UCL games barring a serious injury to Robbo ?
3. About Saka, he does fit the understudy profile of Robbo with the right skill sets but Saka has on gone on public wanting to be a classic LW which I don't think he will be changing his mind soon.
4. Havertz suits us more than Buendia imho. Buendia is a classic AM in a 4231 or a 442 diamond while Havertz probably fufill Firmino's role in a 433 or the CAM role in the 4231 role.

SirBillShankly

God help and protect us.
The manager changes at Berlin were not good for him. He was a clear starter under Dardai and Covic.

Often sitting on bench under Klinsmann and Nouri.

With the new investor they might be able to buy him but I think they already brought Santiago Ascacibar for his position.

Do you think he's made enough progress to be in or close to our first team?

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Do you think he's made enough progress to be in or close to our first team?
First year at Berlin was great for him. Maybe he should have been loaned to a PL team this season.

Talent is there. Might fulfill his potential if he plays and trains with world class team mates week in week out.

Could see him as a long term understudy for Fabinho or even both together in a double pivot. Unlikely because we have so many midfielders ahead of him.

Think Grujic and Harry Wilson are in a similar situation. They could reach CL quality but both needs games immediately. Both might be sold for good money.

koptician

We'll go again!
Well that’s two games recently that he’s won single handedly for Newcastle (FA cup tie and yesterday). He should have also had an assist as he set it on a plate for Almiron after blowing past two players. I’d say his end product is getting better game by game

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
The players you suggested are quite good, but there are some pertinent questions.

1. I wonder does Jamal Lewis and Emi Buendia have a relegation escape clause?
2.Will Lewis be willing to rotate with Andy Robertson with Robbo starting 70% of the league games and certainly all the UCL games barring a serious injury to Robbo ?
3. About Saka, he does fit the understudy profile of Robbo with the right skill sets but Saka has on gone on public wanting to be a classic LW which I don't think he will be changing his mind soon.
4. Havertz suits us more than Buendia imho. Buendia is a classic AM in a 4231 or a 442 diamond while Havertz probably fufill Firmino's role in a 433 or the CAM role in the 4231 role.
Don't know about release clauses but you'd have to think they'd go relatively cheap if they were relegated. Selling the club to Lewis shouldn't be too difficult, using Robertson himself as inspiration as to what he could become.

Yeah, Havertz is more versatile than Buendia and a better player too. Given the choice that one is a no-brainer. Buendia plays on the right for Norwich in a 4231 but drifts inside and plays in the space between the opposition's defence and midfield. In that sense I would say Minamino is a similar type of player, so perhaps the need for him isn't there and I'm not sure where he'd fit in anyway. Very good player though and appears to be really effective when space is restricted.

Notasuperfan

Don't know about release clauses but you'd have to think they'd go relatively cheap if they were relegated. Selling the club to Lewis shouldn't be too difficult, using Robertson himself as inspiration as to what he could become.

Yeah, Havertz is more versatile than Buendia and a better player too. Given the choice that one is a no-brainer. Buendia plays on the right for Norwich in a 4231 but drifts inside and plays in the space between the opposition's defence and midfield. In that sense I would say Minamino is a similar type of player, so perhaps the need for him isn't there and I'm not sure where he'd fit in anyway. Very good player though and appears to be really effective when space is restricted.
Well,Buendia playing for Norwich city is very different from playing for Liverpool. Playing for norwich city will inevitably get you a bit more space as the opposition is not so focused on making a low block when they are more focused on scoring against you. Playing for Liverpool is a whole different beast altogether. The opposition will be exceptionally fired up and the space afforded to you from most opposition teams will be smaller than usual and the time when you hold the ball to make a pass or dribble will even be shorter.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Well,Buendia playing for Norwich city is very different from playing for Liverpool. Playing for norwich city will inevitably get you a bit more space as the opposition is not so focused on making a low block when they are more focused on scoring against you. Playing for Liverpool is a whole different beast altogether. The opposition will be exceptionally fired up and the space afforded to you from most opposition teams will be smaller than usual and the time when you hold the ball to make a pass or dribble will even be shorter.
Yes, but he looks good in exactly those situations.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular

Agree, been thinking about this as well. I think we're possibly reaching a stage where this is the next natural step to make.

Looking at City as an example, it seems to me their structure has become looser this season, which affects their defensive transition. I haven't looked at numbers, this is purely what I see. And I think we will see the same thing happen to Liverpool. Could be several reasons for that, but I think one way to compensate is to adjust the midfield area. Try to get better at playing against organised defence, which remains our weakest phase. Some can be adjusted with structure, I guess, but for me it also comes down to player types as you suggest.

Nikola

Admin
@norwegian wood, maybe City wouldn't have been affected had Laporte stayed fit, though. That adjustment might have been done by playing Fernandinho and Rodri in midfield and giving De Bruyne and Bernardo Silva basically free roles in attack, while Sterling and Aguero put away their chances. And that's before considering the likes of Jesus, Sane, Mahrez, Foden... Scary prospect. I can't believe Liverpool are so far ahead of them in league, it's a triumph of mentality but I still think we significantly prospered because of injuries to their key players + lack of replacement for Kompany.

Watching Chelsea, I wonder if Willian might be a good option on a free. He probably has two more years at the top but he's a player I admire a lot and one who always does well against Liverpool, too. He's probably looking for final pay day, though.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Agree, been thinking about this as well. I think we're possibly reaching a stage where this is the next natural step to make.

Looking at City as an example, it seems to me their structure has become looser this season, which affects their defensive transition. I haven't looked at numbers, this is purely what I see. And I think we will see the same thing happen to Liverpool. Could be several reasons for that, but I think one way to compensate is to adjust the midfield area. Try to get better at playing against organised defence, which remains our weakest phase. Some can be adjusted with structure, I guess, but for me it also comes down to player types as you suggest.
I might be wrong but I see the major difference with City's midfield being Fernandinho>Rodri. Fernandinho is the best in the world, even in his 30s, at defending when left exposed whereas Rodri is a lot more static and unable to cover the ground.

It's a tricky balance to make. Fabinho is more in the mould of Rodri than Fernandinho, so we have to be careful there when looking to make those adjustments. Henderson is very good at covering that space though.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I like the idea of getting Burnley's McNeil if there are no obvious players we can get for LB cover.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
@norwegian wood, maybe City wouldn't have been affected had Laporte stayed fit, though. That adjustment might have been done by playing Fernandinho and Rodri in midfield and giving De Bruyne and Bernardo Silva basically free roles in attack, while Sterling and Aguero put away their chances. And that's before considering the likes of Jesus, Sane, Mahrez, Foden... Scary prospect. I can't believe Liverpool are so far ahead of them in league, it's a triumph of mentality but I still think we significantly prospered because of injuries to their key players + lack of replacement for Kompany.

Watching Chelsea, I wonder if Willian might be a good option on a free. He probably has two more years at the top but he's a player I admire a lot and one who always does well against Liverpool, too. He's probably looking for final pay day, though.
City got by for a lot of the last two seasons by fear factor. They were always susceptible and European sides regularly exposed them. Domestically though they had games won before entering the pitch due to the numbers of attackers they were putting on the pitch, opposition limited to counter attacking and sitting deep. This season teams have realised that, despite their attacking ability, City can still be attacked in return. So they've dropped so many more points than previous. I think the injuries are a red herring. They've just been exposed for having the soft underbelly they've always had.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
I might be wrong but I see the major difference with City's midfield being Fernandinho>Rodri. Fernandinho is the best in the world, even in his 30s, at defending when left exposed whereas Rodri is a lot more static and unable to cover the ground.

It's a tricky balance to make. Fabinho is more in the mould of Rodri than Fernandinho, so we have to be careful there when looking to make those adjustments. Henderson is very good at covering that space though.
Definitely tricky, yes. On one hand you don't really want to see much change to something that has worked well for about two years. On the other hand it's dangerous to not change as well, and arguably becoming necessary.

With City I'm thinking more in terms of their immediate ball recovery. Their positioning in possession has looked different to me. But of course, not having Fernandinho in midfield will also be a factor. Great player.

For Liverpool it could perhaps be to sometimes go without two of the three regulars in midfield. Get someone in who can help move the ball quicker through midfield when the space is more congested. Keita does that, but so far hasn't played often enough. Personally I think getting him on the pitch regularly would help us a lot in that regard, but maybe that alone isn't enough.