Who would you buy?

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
I wonder if that would be a move back to the 4231 he favoured heavily at Dortmund, as that puts more of the onus for creativity on a no.10 rather than the fullbacks.
Klopp actually spoke before when Coutinho was here (and he either played on the left or slightly deeper in a midfield 3) that the #10 position in a 4-2-3-1 is arguably the most demanding, at least from his perspective (but also elsewhere). I'm not convinced we're preparing a big move for Havertz. More like continue more or less like this, but add 2-3 things so we can rotate a bit more.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
What departures do people expect this summer? I think who we will buy will largely be motivated by this. A few considerations will be things like the loan rules changing and players having won everything with us maybe considering things to be harder here than they could be elsewhere.

Almost Guaranteed; Karius, Clyne, Lallana, Awoniyi, Ejaria, Ojo.

Possible (likely?); Lonergan, Lovren, Shaqiri.

Possible (50/50); Matip (injury record, might sell whilst we can), Grujic, Milner, Wijnaldum (contract situation), Wlison, Origi.

Possible (unlikely!); Keita, Mane, Salah.

If we only lose the "almost guaranteed" and "possible (likely?)" I don't think anyone needs bringing in as it would mean retaining Grujic and Wilson who would fill any holes. If we lose those players and Grujic and Wilson we could probably still cope just putting more on the youth players. Matip, Milner (more for full back cover), Wijnaldum and Origi would all definitely need replacements buying though. In the case of Origi it should really be an upgrade as well, but any of those replacements would need to be good players. If any of the "possible (unlikely)" are to depart then we really need the absolute best of the best replacing them!

My choices on replacements are;

Matip; Tah or Upamecano.
Milner; Alphonso Davies or Marc Cucurella.
Wijnaldum; Danilo Perreira or (to play as a DM) Nathan Ake.
Origi (the only role in the squad I believe we need an actual upgrade); Jadon Sancho or (fuck it) Kylian Mbappe.
Keita; Kai Havertz or Sergej Milinkovic-Savic.
Mane/Salah; Mbappe, nothing short of him would adequately replace one of those two leaving.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
My expected departures:

Lonergan, Karius, Awoniyi, Clyne, Lallana, Chirivella, Ejaria, Ojo, Shaqiri, Wilson, Grujic

Likely departures:

Lovren, Origi, Phillips, Grabara

Possible:

Adrian, Wijnaldum, Fabinho, Salah

Unlikely:

The rest

I'd be looking at:

GK: Don't know - would like to keep Adrian for another year

LB: Philipp Max or Jamal Lewis. Back in for Guerreiro possibly? Saka as a long-shot?

CB: Don't know. Tah, Upamecano, Akanji...Issa Diop might be a (relatively) cheap option if West Ham go down.

DM/CM: Partey, Rice, McGinn, Ndidi

CM/AM: Easy. Havertz. Other options might include Goretzka, Buendia, Jonathan David, that Rudisha (sp?) bloke...

AM/Wide: Sancho, McNeil, Chukwueze, Neres, Traore?

Versatile Forward: (Sancho), Mbappé, Werner

I don't know enough about all the players we've been linked with really. I'm not a fan of the Cantwell links though.

Assuming we don't lose any current first team starters I'd be looking to add Max, Havertz, and Sancho. That could be about £200m of spending (probably around £120m net).

If we sold either Matip or Lovren I'd be interested in Diop.

If we sold Fabinho or Wijnaldum I'd be in for Partey.

If we sold Salah I'd want Mbappé.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I wonder if Klopp will sign a replacement for Lovren and then sell Matip next year as well, with fourth choice being Fabinho or some youth player. Ironically, something similar could happen with Shaqiri and Origi, I can see a few parallels there.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
There's a 0% chance we lose Milner imho, after his recent contract extention and Klopp's comments about his importance to the team.
For me he fits into the category of: "players having won everything with us maybe considering things to be harder here than they could be elsewhere."

With two specific notes, 1st the harder here bit is purely down to his age and 2nd the elsewhere would be specific to a move to Leeds so he can end his career there if they come up (likely). He certainly wouldn't be someone we would want to lose but if he asked Klopp for that I think Klopp would do anything he could to make it happen whilst making sure James knew there was a coaching role waiting for him here if he ever wanted it.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
@Anfield rd Dreamer

From the first team squad I expect Lallana and Shaqiri to leave. Maybe also Lovren. I think both Shaq and Dejan will look for more regular games, although I think the latter is a Bosman player next summer (?). If so, there's a chance he sees out his contract.

Origi is one I'm unsure of. Maybe it depends on how this season turned out relatively to his expectations. If we're looking for another attacker, maybe he thinks it affects his game time negatively and therefore wants to leave. But I also won't be surprised if he chooses to stay.

Beyond that I think the rest stay.

As for fringe/loan players, Clyne will go and I think we cash in on Wilson. Karius as well. Grujic I'm not sure of; I think it would be a shame to let him go without giving him a season, so I hope he stays. But if I had to bet on it, I'd say he'll be sold.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
For me he fits into the category of: "players having won everything with us maybe considering things to be harder here than they could be elsewhere."

With two specific notes, 1st the harder here bit is purely down to his age and 2nd the elsewhere would be specific to a move to Leeds so he can end his career there if they come up (likely). He certainly wouldn't be someone we would want to lose but if he asked Klopp for that I think Klopp would do anything he could to make it happen whilst making sure James knew there was a coaching role waiting for him here if he ever wanted it.
Milner has to transition to coaching in some capacity here. He's an exemplary personality.

I think he wants to also - He stayed back to work with the U23's for the cup game for example.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Havertz always gets touted as a midfielder but he played centre forward against Eintracht Frankfurt a few days ago and was exceptional. He's also played on the right for Leverkusen a fair bit.

I didn't realise how quick he was until I saw him the other day. He's rapid. He has it all to be a top forward as well as a top midfielder, and for that reason I would make him a target ahead of almost anybody else.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Milner has to transition to coaching in some capacity here. He's an exemplary personality.

I think he wants to also - He stayed back to work with the U23's for the cup game for example.
Yeah but it's not like that gets taken off the table if he spends a season or two at Leeds, going back to where his career started to end it and helping them survive that first season or two back in the league.... hell that's one hell of an emotional pull. The coaching side would still be here afterwards, he has earned it and deserves to be able to take it on when he is ready not be forced into it when hes no longer good enough for us but still good enough to play elsewhere.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor

Right, except I don't see why a player with one eye on doing that would have recently signed a contract extension.

Barry is still playing football aged 39, no reason why Milner would be thinking about retiring anytime soon, could easily see him fulfilling that contract with us before looking around for somewhere to wind down his career at.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Right, except I don't see why a player with one eye on doing that would have recently signed a contract extension.

Barry is still playing football aged 39, no reason why Milner would be thinking about retiring anytime soon, could easily see him fulfilling that contract with us before looking around for somewhere to wind down his career at.
Stability? Guaranteed wages for 2 years if anything does happen? Just because he is under contract for 2 more years doesn't mean he can't move or may even have clauses written in under specific conditions which allow him to move. Going to Leeds to help them survive promotion is pretty much the only situation I see him wanting to move on and Klopp could well let that happen for cheap/free even if he is under another 2 years contract. I only see it as a possibility as Leeds are almost certainly coming up and we are almost certainly about to win the League meaning he will have no unfinished business here.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Yeah but it's not like that gets taken off the table if he spends a season or two at Leeds, going back to where his career started to end it and helping them survive that first season or two back in the league.... hell that's one hell of an emotional pull. The coaching side would still be here afterwards, he has earned it and deserves to be able to take it on when he is ready not be forced into it when hes no longer good enough for us but still good enough to play elsewhere.
It makes it unlikely, my point was he starts to pick up more and more responsibility the lesser his gametime reduces.

He may wish to continue playing though, so I'm being selfish wanting him to coach ahead of that.

GaryBarlow99

My expected departures:

Lonergan, Karius, Awoniyi, Clyne, Lallana, Chirivella, Ejaria, Ojo, Shaqiri, Wilson, Grujic

Likely departures:

Lovren, Origi, Phillips, Grabara

Possible:

Adrian, Wijnaldum, Fabinho, Salah

Unlikely:

The rest
I know he has not been great since coming back from injury but you think there is a chance we could sell Fabinho in the summer?

Don't think Milner, Gini or Keita are going anywhere either.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
I know he has not been great since coming back from injury but you think there is a chance we could sell Fabinho in the summer?

Don't think Milner, Gini or Keita are going anywhere either.
No, I think it's only likely if we were to sign someone like Partey. I don't think Fabinho leaves otherwise. Gini is similarly dependent on who we might bring in. I agree on Milner and Keita that I don't see them going anywhere.

Dave-D

Can see Karius, Clyne, Lovren, Shaqiri, Wilson, Lallana and Origi all departing in the summer.

Three of those are either on loan or injured so technically don’t need replacing.

The other do need replacing as well as LB cover.

Could Havertz be a replacement for Lallana, Shaqiri and Origi? I know it’s only one player in for three out but would also allow more first team game time for Elliott and Jones.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Manure are looking to get Jude Bellingham from Birmingham, from the clips I have seen he looks a player and would be a great future midfielder for us.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Can see Karius, Clyne, Lovren, Shaqiri, Wilson, Lallana and Origi all departing in the summer.
Problem is Clyne Wilson and Lallana come under the local/homegrown players category and our squad size will be restricted if we do not have enough of them next season. So we probably do need to do some UK hires and those come with a premium. I can see Wilson sticking on if only to make the numbers.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Problem is Clyne Wilson and Lallana come under the local/homegrown players category and our squad size will be restricted if we do not have enough of them next season. So we probably do need to do some UK hires and those come with a premium. I can see Wilson sticking on if only to make the numbers.
I don't think we use the full 25 senior spots anyway, Klopp likes a close knit unit. The real limitations really 17 senior foreign developed players anyway and we don't get to that.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
For domestic squad lists players who can count towards the 8 spots reserved for senior players developed by an English or Welsh side for 3 seasons before they turn 21;

Caoimhin Kelleher (?), Shamal George, Nathaniel Phillips, Joe Gomez, Trent Alexander-Arnold (?), Isaac Christie-Davies, Jordan Henderson, Herbie Kane (?), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ovie Ejaria, Harry Wilson, James Milner, Sheyi Ojo, Taiwo Awoniyi. (14). (This is next years squad so people out of contract not shown). Ones with question marks next to their name I'm really not sure who shows as senior when, think they have to be 21 by 1st Jan this year. But it could be 21 or under on 1st of January which means they are all "under 21s" for another season.

Two foreseeable complications.

1st for European competition 4 of the 8 reserved spots are further reserved for "club developed" players, I may be wrong but I think the rule on that is 3 full seasons at the club in question before they turn 21. That limits us to;

Caoimhin Kelleher, Shamal George, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Herbie Kane, Ovie Ejaria, Harry Wilson, Sheyi Ojo and Taiwo Awoniyi. I can't see 4 of these 8 with us next season so we won't be able to list 25 players on our A list for Europe anyway.

2nd there are new rules about how many players we can have out on development loans coming in meaning it will be harder to keep ownership of so many players.

With senior foreign developed players I don't think we will have 17 next season, we are currently looking at;

Alisson, Adrian, Karius, Virgil Van Dijk, Joel Matip, Dejan Lovren, Andy Robertson, Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Keita, Grujic, Mane, Shaqiri, Salah, Minamino, Firmino, Origi. So 17 maximum but with possible/probable departures for any of Karius, Lovren, Grujic, Shaqiri and Origi there should be room if we wanted to add one or two.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Havertz always gets touted as a midfielder but he played centre forward against Eintracht Frankfurt a few days ago and was exceptional. He's also played on the right for Leverkusen a fair bit.

I didn't realise how quick he was until I saw him the other day. He's rapid. He has it all to be a top forward as well as a top midfielder, and for that reason I would make him a target ahead of almost anybody else.
Same here. I thought he was more midfielder than forward the few times I watched Leverkusen, he didn't really show any qualities that made me think of him as a forward option for us.

Lately though, he has played more in behind the defence than I've seen him do before, and showed he has some pace as well. For me that's been an eye-opener, and makes him much more interesting as a potential signing. When you add pace and intelligent running to his other qualities, it looks like a no-brainer if it can be done.

GaryBarlow99

No, I think it's only likely if we were to sign someone like Partey. I don't think Fabinho leaves otherwise. Gini is similarly dependent on who we might bring in. I agree on Milner and Keita that I don't see them going anywhere.
I think if Gini doesn't sign a new contract we will simply take the hit and let him leave for free. He is too good to sell imo and as has been said, Klopp likes a close knit group. This is why I think we will only bring in two or three players in the summer no matter the number who leave.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I think if Gini doesn't sign a new contract we will simply take the hit and let him leave for free. He is too good to sell imo and as has been said, Klopp likes a close knit group. This is why I think we will only bring in two or three players in the summer no matter the number who leave.
Agreed. I think we bring in two players (a versatile player who plays LB/LM as one of their positions and a versatile forward who can play LW/LF as one of their positions) regardless. On top of that theres a possibility of a CB depending on what happens with Lovren and/or Matip and a possible attacking mid/versatile forward depending on what Klopps plans regarding next years formations.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
Agreed. I think we bring in two players (a versatile player who plays LB/LM as one of their positions and a versatile forward who can play LW/LF as one of their positions) regardless. On top of that theres a possibility of a CB depending on what happens with Lovren and/or Matip and a possible attacking mid/versatile forward depending on what Klopps plans regarding next years formations.
I think that we will might have to bring in more than two players, given that we are due to lose Mané and Salah to AFCON 2021 for most of January and a week or two of February. So I think it might be three or possibly even four new first team players

I think we will sell Lovren, Shakiri, Harry Wilson, Marko Grujic, and Karius.

Keita will either be injured and miss AFCON, or be injured at AFCON, so we might as well sell him and bring in a dependable attacking mid.

Origi might also be sold depending on whether we can land either Jadon Sancho or Timo Werner, and if Brewster is considered ready to step up.

We still need cover at LB, and if Nat Philips or any of the other youngsters aren't considered good enough at CB, a replacement for Lovren.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Same here. I thought he was more midfielder than forward the few times I watched Leverkusen, he didn't really show any qualities that made me think of him as a forward option for us.

Lately though, he has played more in behind the defence than I've seen him do before, and showed he has some pace as well. For me that's been an eye-opener, and makes him much more interesting as a potential signing. When you add pace and intelligent running to his other qualities, it looks like a no-brainer if it can be done.
Couldn't agree more based on (admittedly) a couple of games I've watched recently. It almost seems a waste of his ability to pigeon hole him as a midfielder, when further up the pitch he has the size and strength to hold the ball up as well as the pace to get in behind. Some of his finishing is really impressive too.

He's a multi-dimensional player, hard to believe he'd be anything other than brilliant playing with our current front 3.

Notasuperfan

Our club is always on a look-out for good and reasonable deals for backup players and is willing to break world records to sign world-class starters.

To start off, let's see which positions are well-stocked with acceptable quality, needs back-up urgently,needs back-up urgently if there are likely departures, needs back-up in the near future.

Well-stocked with acceptable quality : GK, RB ( with Neco Williams), LW( with Minamino taking a familiar position to settle in), CM (with a returning Grujic)
Needs Back-up urgently now : LB, RW, CF
Needs Back-up urgently if there are likely departures : CB,CM
Needs back-up in the next 3 years: CM

To settle the urgent needs, I have the below suggestions.

For LB: We can try Jamal Lewis on the cheap should Norwich go down.
For RW: Elliot seems a bit too raw and Salah will be away on AFCON. Emi Buendia will be alright as a cheap back-up if there is a relegation escape clause for Buendia to Salah as both players like to go narrow or in the right hand side channels.
For CF, We don't play a classic CF during our play. We actually play with a False 9 which means Kai Havertz will be the perfect foil for our wingers should Firmino need a break ( like now)

If there are likely departures at CB due to Lovren leaving , if Bournemouth goes down and players are leaving due to an escape clause, we should give Ake the exact same contract that lovren has right now.

For our CM position, we will be ok if it is just Lallana who leaves. If Milner also leaves for his boyhood team, We will probably need to add another player in as Curtis Jones needs to play more frequently at a club to develop himself. Depending on who goes down, It could be Declan Rice who will make our midfield more secure in the long future after Henderson grows older/injured or it could be Jack Grealish to rotate with Keita ( if he's not taking Lallana's place in the treatment room) or AOC( just purely out of tactical reasons).

Highly Likely permanent departures : Lovren, Shaqiri, Wilson, Clyne, Lallana,Ojo,Karius
Likely departures : Milner, Origi
Possible additions : Lewis, Buendia, Kai Havertz, Ake, Rice/Grealish.

AngryAsianRed

i think the champions league games (Napoli and esp 1st leg against Atletico) has shown us our weaknesses, even in the EPL we have won many games through moments of luck or set pieces

Basically against us, sit back and crowd the middle, wait for the counter and play the initial few balls with pace to pass our midfield counterpress. We need personnel to be able to switch things up a little against park the bus teams.

We need:
1) a forward with good close control, and change of pace. DIfferent style from Mane and Salah, who likes to cut infield (which hardly works against packed defences). A Leeroy Sane type who just goes to the byline and fizzes balls in and around the penalty area will be nice

2) guys to link up midfield and front 3. After watching so many games, I conclude our attacking plan to be consisting of 3 steps - pass to robertson / TAA and get a cross in, pass to salah/mane and let them work something out, or set piece. I rarely see any link up give and goes, mini triangles with dummies and stuff to manufacture a little space for our forwards. Our midfield at times seem a little too far away from the front 3 for my liking. Would like a david silva type (not sure minamino makes the cut yet)

FOr a minimum we need Werner for sure, and probably another forward.