Who would you buy?

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Havertz always gets touted as a midfielder but he played centre forward against Eintracht Frankfurt a few days ago and was exceptional. He's also played on the right for Leverkusen a fair bit.

I didn't realise how quick he was until I saw him the other day. He's rapid. He has it all to be a top forward as well as a top midfielder, and for that reason I would make him a target ahead of almost anybody else.
Same here. I thought he was more midfielder than forward the few times I watched Leverkusen, he didn't really show any qualities that made me think of him as a forward option for us.

Lately though, he has played more in behind the defence than I've seen him do before, and showed he has some pace as well. For me that's been an eye-opener, and makes him much more interesting as a potential signing. When you add pace and intelligent running to his other qualities, it looks like a no-brainer if it can be done.

GaryBarlow99

No, I think it's only likely if we were to sign someone like Partey. I don't think Fabinho leaves otherwise. Gini is similarly dependent on who we might bring in. I agree on Milner and Keita that I don't see them going anywhere.
I think if Gini doesn't sign a new contract we will simply take the hit and let him leave for free. He is too good to sell imo and as has been said, Klopp likes a close knit group. This is why I think we will only bring in two or three players in the summer no matter the number who leave.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I think if Gini doesn't sign a new contract we will simply take the hit and let him leave for free. He is too good to sell imo and as has been said, Klopp likes a close knit group. This is why I think we will only bring in two or three players in the summer no matter the number who leave.
Agreed. I think we bring in two players (a versatile player who plays LB/LM as one of their positions and a versatile forward who can play LW/LF as one of their positions) regardless. On top of that theres a possibility of a CB depending on what happens with Lovren and/or Matip and a possible attacking mid/versatile forward depending on what Klopps plans regarding next years formations.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
Agreed. I think we bring in two players (a versatile player who plays LB/LM as one of their positions and a versatile forward who can play LW/LF as one of their positions) regardless. On top of that theres a possibility of a CB depending on what happens with Lovren and/or Matip and a possible attacking mid/versatile forward depending on what Klopps plans regarding next years formations.
I think that we will might have to bring in more than two players, given that we are due to lose Mané and Salah to AFCON 2021 for most of January and a week or two of February. So I think it might be three or possibly even four new first team players

I think we will sell Lovren, Shakiri, Harry Wilson, Marko Grujic, and Karius.

Keita will either be injured and miss AFCON, or be injured at AFCON, so we might as well sell him and bring in a dependable attacking mid.

Origi might also be sold depending on whether we can land either Jadon Sancho or Timo Werner, and if Brewster is considered ready to step up.

We still need cover at LB, and if Nat Philips or any of the other youngsters aren't considered good enough at CB, a replacement for Lovren.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Same here. I thought he was more midfielder than forward the few times I watched Leverkusen, he didn't really show any qualities that made me think of him as a forward option for us.

Lately though, he has played more in behind the defence than I've seen him do before, and showed he has some pace as well. For me that's been an eye-opener, and makes him much more interesting as a potential signing. When you add pace and intelligent running to his other qualities, it looks like a no-brainer if it can be done.
Couldn't agree more based on (admittedly) a couple of games I've watched recently. It almost seems a waste of his ability to pigeon hole him as a midfielder, when further up the pitch he has the size and strength to hold the ball up as well as the pace to get in behind. Some of his finishing is really impressive too.

He's a multi-dimensional player, hard to believe he'd be anything other than brilliant playing with our current front 3.

Notasuperfan

Our club is always on a look-out for good and reasonable deals for backup players and is willing to break world records to sign world-class starters.

To start off, let's see which positions are well-stocked with acceptable quality, needs back-up urgently,needs back-up urgently if there are likely departures, needs back-up in the near future.

Well-stocked with acceptable quality : GK, RB ( with Neco Williams), LW( with Minamino taking a familiar position to settle in), CM (with a returning Grujic)
Needs Back-up urgently now : LB, RW, CF
Needs Back-up urgently if there are likely departures : CB,CM
Needs back-up in the next 3 years: CM

To settle the urgent needs, I have the below suggestions.

For LB: We can try Jamal Lewis on the cheap should Norwich go down.
For RW: Elliot seems a bit too raw and Salah will be away on AFCON. Emi Buendia will be alright as a cheap back-up if there is a relegation escape clause for Buendia to Salah as both players like to go narrow or in the right hand side channels.
For CF, We don't play a classic CF during our play. We actually play with a False 9 which means Kai Havertz will be the perfect foil for our wingers should Firmino need a break ( like now)

If there are likely departures at CB due to Lovren leaving , if Bournemouth goes down and players are leaving due to an escape clause, we should give Ake the exact same contract that lovren has right now.

For our CM position, we will be ok if it is just Lallana who leaves. If Milner also leaves for his boyhood team, We will probably need to add another player in as Curtis Jones needs to play more frequently at a club to develop himself. Depending on who goes down, It could be Declan Rice who will make our midfield more secure in the long future after Henderson grows older/injured or it could be Jack Grealish to rotate with Keita ( if he's not taking Lallana's place in the treatment room) or AOC( just purely out of tactical reasons).

Highly Likely permanent departures : Lovren, Shaqiri, Wilson, Clyne, Lallana,Ojo,Karius
Likely departures : Milner, Origi
Possible additions : Lewis, Buendia, Kai Havertz, Ake, Rice/Grealish.

AngryAsianRed

i think the champions league games (Napoli and esp 1st leg against Atletico) has shown us our weaknesses, even in the EPL we have won many games through moments of luck or set pieces

Basically against us, sit back and crowd the middle, wait for the counter and play the initial few balls with pace to pass our midfield counterpress. We need personnel to be able to switch things up a little against park the bus teams.

We need:
1) a forward with good close control, and change of pace. DIfferent style from Mane and Salah, who likes to cut infield (which hardly works against packed defences). A Leeroy Sane type who just goes to the byline and fizzes balls in and around the penalty area will be nice

2) guys to link up midfield and front 3. After watching so many games, I conclude our attacking plan to be consisting of 3 steps - pass to robertson / TAA and get a cross in, pass to salah/mane and let them work something out, or set piece. I rarely see any link up give and goes, mini triangles with dummies and stuff to manufacture a little space for our forwards. Our midfield at times seem a little too far away from the front 3 for my liking. Would like a david silva type (not sure minamino makes the cut yet)

FOr a minimum we need Werner for sure, and probably another forward.

wibseyred

Do we think this little recent turn down in form is going to alter Klopp's plans for the summer. If you looked at the bench today you knew unless injuries happened 4 off them were never getting on.

LFCFFC

i think the champions league games (Napoli and esp 1st leg against Atletico) has shown us our weaknesses, even in the EPL we have won many games through moments of luck or set pieces

Basically against us, sit back and crowd the middle, wait for the counter and play the initial few balls with pace to pass our midfield counterpress. We need personnel to be able to switch things up a little against park the bus teams.

We need:
1) a forward with good close control, and change of pace. DIfferent style from Mane and Salah, who likes to cut infield (which hardly works against packed defences). A Leeroy Sane type who just goes to the byline and fizzes balls in and around the penalty area will be nice

2) guys to link up midfield and front 3. After watching so many games, I conclude our attacking plan to be consisting of 3 steps - pass to robertson / TAA and get a cross in, pass to salah/mane and let them work something out, or set piece. I rarely see any link up give and goes, mini triangles with dummies and stuff to manufacture a little space for our forwards. Our midfield at times seem a little too far away from the front 3 for my liking. Would like a david silva type (not sure minamino makes the cut yet)

FOr a minimum we need Werner for sure, and probably another forward.
Does Werner properly meet either of these criteria?

He seems to be the type that gets on to the end of a well timed pass from midfield, burns his defender off and clinically finishes. I'm not saying that's all he's capable of because he's obviously an excellent player, but that seems to be his main strength/how he scores a majority of his goals. I'm not sure that helps us too much in that first leg against Atletico or against Watford for example. It'd certainly be a luxury to have though, especially given how many chances we spurned tonight.

It's not my money so I can be as profligate as I like and despite arguing against it in the past, I do see myself leaning towards making one high quality signing, namely Havertz, Aouar or possibly Sancho (super unlikely tbf). That could well be purely recency bias in light of our recent dip in form of course, but I think any of the above players add another dimension to our attack next season and give our opposition an additional headache.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Our club is always on a look-out for good and reasonable deals for backup players and is willing to break world records to sign world-class starters.

To start off, let's see which positions are well-stocked with acceptable quality, needs back-up urgently,needs back-up urgently if there are likely departures, needs back-up in the near future.

Well-stocked with acceptable quality : GK, RB ( with Neco Williams), LW( with Minamino taking a familiar position to settle in), CM (with a returning Grujic)
Needs Back-up urgently now : LB, RW, CF
Needs Back-up urgently if there are likely departures : CB,CM
Needs back-up in the next 3 years: CM

To settle the urgent needs, I have the below suggestions.

For LB: We can try Jamal Lewis on the cheap should Norwich go down.
For RW: Elliot seems a bit too raw and Salah will be away on AFCON. Emi Buendia will be alright as a cheap back-up if there is a relegation escape clause for Buendia to Salah as both players like to go narrow or in the right hand side channels.
For CF, We don't play a classic CF during our play. We actually play with a False 9 which means Kai Havertz will be the perfect foil for our wingers should Firmino need a break ( like now)

If there are likely departures at CB due to Lovren leaving , if Bournemouth goes down and players are leaving due to an escape clause, we should give Ake the exact same contract that lovren has right now.

For our CM position, we will be ok if it is just Lallana who leaves. If Milner also leaves for his boyhood team, We will probably need to add another player in as Curtis Jones needs to play more frequently at a club to develop himself. Depending on who goes down, It could be Declan Rice who will make our midfield more secure in the long future after Henderson grows older/injured or it could be Jack Grealish to rotate with Keita ( if he's not taking Lallana's place in the treatment room) or AOC( just purely out of tactical reasons).

Highly Likely permanent departures : Lovren, Shaqiri, Wilson, Clyne, Lallana,Ojo,Karius
Likely departures : Milner, Origi
Possible additions : Lewis, Buendia, Kai Havertz, Ake, Rice/Grealish.
Why do you say Minamino for LW meaning LW is covered and CF needed? He plays nothing like Mane and a lot more like Firmino. So far he has had 3 starts and 4 sub appearances, one sub was for an injured player so he played where that injured player was but nearly all his other appearances have been for a rested Firmino or sub for Firmino coming off. All his starts where 9/false 9 and 2 of his subs he replaced Firmino. Before he came here he used to play any of about 4/5 positions in equal measure so not sure why LW would be familiar for him.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Do we think this little recent turn down in form is going to alter Klopp's plans for the summer. If you looked at the bench today you knew unless injuries happened 4 off them were never getting on.
No if anything (I hope anyway) it will tip the balance to him overpaying for a Havertz or Sancho. We need geniune rotation options for our front 3. Origi came on last night and did nothing, a few cult goals aside he offers little to this team.

Noo Noo

I guess last night confirmed to me anyway that the squad does need a few tweaks. It's one of these things that always needs to evolve and it appears to have peaked a bit so a little tweak here and there to push that standard to a new level and keep it there

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
No if anything (I hope anyway) it will tip the balance to him overpaying for a Havertz or Sancho. We need geniune rotation options for our front 3. Origi came on last night and did nothing, a few cult goals aside he offers little to this team.
He had an uncharacteristically high conversion rate last season as opposed to his career to date. Even then 2 of his goals came purely because he kept his head and did the simple, correct, thing when he made himself be the guy who was in the right place at the right time (Everton and Barca) which shouldn't be sniffed at, but you can't make a career out of scoring goals due to keeper error or defences caught napping. He seems a great guy but he doesn't help our play that much. Hes been under Klopp for awhile if he was going to develop into a useful player (to us) I think it would have happened by now. He can be a really decent player at a reasonable level elsewhere still

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
He had an uncharacteristically high conversion rate last season as opposed to his career to date. Even then 2 of his goals came purely because he kept his head and did the simple, correct, thing when he made himself be the guy who was in the right place at the right time (Everton and Barca) which shouldn't be sniffed at, but you can't make a career out of scoring goals due to keeper error or defences caught napping. He seems a great guy but he doesn't help our play that much. Hes been under Klopp for awhile if he was going to develop into a useful player (to us) I think it would have happened by now. He can be a really decent player at a reasonable level elsewhere still
Yep I agree, I think the reason our midfield for the most part is so good and plays at such a high consistency level is because they know 1 drop off in quality there is someone there to come in and they may not get their place back until an injury.

Our front 3 look at Origi and will know even if they are playing utterly terribly Klopp will keep them on in the hope they do 1 decent thing ahead of him.. We need them to worry they will lose their place, they need to be kept keen. It's the next evolution of this team.

GaryBarlow99

I guess last night confirmed to me anyway that the squad does need a few tweaks. It's one of these things that always needs to evolve and it appears to have peaked a bit so a little tweak here and there to push that standard to a new level and keep it there
I thought we were very good last night especially against a team with a low block which we have struggled against for a while. I think we do need another attacker who has close control and can create chances in tight spaces and we also need better quality on the bench.

Noo Noo

I thought we were very good last night especially against a team with a low block which we have struggled against for a while. I think we do need another attacker who has close control and can create chances in tight spaces and we also need better quality on the bench.
Similar lines to my thinking. Create a deeper squad but also give ourselves some tactical flexibility.

Plus we must remember that teams are getting used to playing against our front 3 so it's only normal to expect team to get better against them. So again someone that shakes the apple cart a little could do us the world of good.

Plus I'm always a sucker for strengthening your midfield. And any way we can do that is again welcome in my book.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
I think Werner would do nicely on ability but not sure he is a Klopp style player. Talks publicly to much and some things he has said make me doubt his character a bit. Havertz looks good but will be a lot of money . This should not be a problem these days but I still get the feeling we will be a bit careful with the cash.
There are a lot of talented players out there and I think our recruitment team should be able to find a couple of good signings. Sadly the MF I liked has gone to MU. but there are others of similar ability .

SirBillShankly

God help and protect us.
I would buy the Atletico CB Felipe. Would be a nice 3rd choice.

1st choice partnership big Virg and Gomez.

Next in line Felipe and then backed up with the injury prone Matip.

Lovren can go to the nearest charity shop.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
A target I've suggested, can play as a Left Back but most teams would see him as a more traditional wide midfielder/winger so I think he'd match Klopps full back role reasonably well. Could also play further forward, left footer so would probably be an emergency option right forward or "something different" to stay wider on the left and cut in less. So three positions could get plenty of playing time as a squad player. Good footballing education with coming from the Barca academy, could step up to be more than just a squad player and if not young enough that maybe around 3 years as a squad player here could appeal as then he could move elsewhere as a starter.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Anyone with a good view of Jude Bellingham? 16 and attracting bids of reportedly 30mil with likes of Dortmund and Manure interested. Really that good? Would he be in the mould of Dele Ali or our own Gini or way better?

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Anyone with a good view of Jude Bellingham? 16 and attracting bids of reportedly 30mil with likes of Dortmund and Manure interested. Really that good? Would he be in the mould of Dele Ali or our own Gini or way better?
Looks an impressive player, but I doubt we'll pay that for him.

Red over the water

It’s impossible to say what Bellingham will go on to be. The difficulty is he might not get the minutes here to fulfil his potential. Dortmund would be a great option for him. Or, we could buy, but we would need to work out how he could play, which would likely be a combo of learning his trade here, plus judicious loans.

As Dortmund continue to improve, their ability to play players like Bellingham will diminish too, as the demands at the top mean you can give as many minutes to kids. In a sense they will become victims of their own success.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Looks an impressive player, but I doubt we'll pay that for him.
Yeah he probably will insist on playing a certain number of first team matches to go to any team. And in that sense, Dortmund or even Manure who is desperate to just throw in any player, would be a better fit.