Who would you buy?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
If he keeps getting better for the next ten years, sign me up.
Well the fact that Vardy didn't really get to these kind of performance levels till late 20s/early 30s (plus his general arseholeness) is why he hasn't gone to a big club. Playing as he does now (and if Werner matches him) hes good enough to play for a Champions League side that he fits. I'm not sure our set up fits right with Vardy. Think Vardy, Werner and Origi are all of similar type, fast, versatile CFs that can drift wide so can be used quite flexibly. But Salah and Mane arent that. They were wingers who by giving them the chance to cut in and play higher up/closer to the goal, it unlocked their goal scoring lethalness. They're wingers playing as strikers not strikers playing as wingers, if that makes sense? Am I just rambling on now? Social distancing is not good for my focus haha.

Limiescouse

So, was thinking about how this situation may affect the transfer market. I see this playing out in 3 possible ways:

1) Part of our strength is seemingly how far ahead we plan. The affect this has on making deals will hurt us, but relative to everyone else puts is in a comparably better situation

2) Personality is a huge part of what we recruit for. This seems to be most heavily evaluated towards the end of the process, the bit that would likely be happening now. This means we either cant do the same due diligence and increase our chances of brining in a bad fit or we refuse to commit for fear of making a mistake and dont strengthen where we need to.

3) Everyone focuses on the domestic market as the players are better know. Prices go up even more because of the demand and we spend good money on players that dont meaningfully improve us, pushing us even closer to the point where a large part of the squad ages out together.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
I don’t know why Harry Wilson wouldn’t be given every chance to make this squad next season. Natural backup and depth for Mo. I posted in Wilson’s thread, what exactly has Shaqs given this side this year that Wilson couldn’t have? Now, I’m over-simplifying because I do see the value in all the first team minutes Wilson has played this year, but IMO he is exactly the type of player we should be keeping. We’ve all admitted that recruiting and signing first team players is a “challenge” given the strength and class of our front 3, so IMO Wilson becomes the perfect choice to give us the depth we need. He’s earned it IMO.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I don’t know why Harry Wilson wouldn’t be given every chance to make this squad next season. Natural backup and depth for Mo. I posted in Wilson’s thread, what exactly has Shaqs given this side this year that Wilson couldn’t have? Now, I’m over-simplifying because I do see the value in all the first team minutes Wilson has played this year, but IMO he is exactly the type of player we should be keeping. We’ve all admitted that recruiting and signing first team players is a “challenge” given the strength and class of our front 3, so IMO Wilson becomes the perfect choice to give us the depth we need. He’s earned it IMO.
What this guy says;

I was for giving Wilson the place in the squad instead of buying for Shaqiri, but seeing him regularly at Bournemouth, while he is impressing, I am not convinced that in our current system he would have been very effective.

He's just a different type of player. I also think Shaqiri is the wrong kind of player for us as well. I'd definitely sell him at the next available opportunity, and I'd take one last look at Wilson, but if we get a decent offer i'd take it and put the money toward a better fit forward.
I can only see either Wilson or Shaqiri staying and I don't see either used much unless we play 4231 or something a lot more than we have this season. Jones should be ahead of both too in that formation and he gets by a little bit better in 433 than them two too. I think both will end up sold but I'm sad over that as I like both and at different times in recent seasons both would have dramatically improved some of our starting 11s.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
If Lovren is not offered a contract to stay in Liverpool, would you all think its a good idea to spend big on someone like Upamecano? Considering that our current first choice is VVD and Gomez and with Matip showing that he is more than capable to replace Gomez if he shows any drop in form, do we then give our current CB youths a chance to be 4th choice? Then how about if VVD gets injured or has a drop in form? Would having 4 damn good CB who are ready to step in anytime into the first team line up important or having 3+1 youth be enough? I would think the money this summer (or whenever that maybe depending on what happens on the season) would be on the forward lines and maybe an experienced LB backup, would CB be a priority even if Lovren leaves?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
If Lovren is not offered a contract to stay in Liverpool, would you all think its a good idea to spend big on someone like Upamecano? Considering that our current first choice is VVD and Gomez and with Matip showing that he is more than capable to replace Gomez if he shows any drop in form, do we then give our current CB youths a chance to be 4th choice? Then how about if VVD gets injured or has a drop in form? Would having 4 damn good CB who are ready to step in anytime into the first team line up important or having 3+1 youth be enough? I would think the money this summer (or whenever that maybe depending on what happens on the season) would be on the forward lines and maybe an experienced LB backup, would CB be a priority even if Lovren leaves?
I like the idea put forward by @Mascot88 of planning on using Fabinho back there some games and the idea put forward by @Sweeting of using Nat Phillips as an emergency back up for a season or two. Combine those two ideas and the talented youth CBs like Hoever and Van Den Berg and I think we are covered if we want to be. But I think Klopp and the team will be on the look out for a talented young CB with potential to be above Matip in terms of consideration and even challenging Gomez. Maybe someone like Upamecano or maybe the next Upamecano someone like Evan N'Dicka we've been linked to. If we do go big on a CB though it wouldn't surprise me if both Lovren and Matip left.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
They rejected 50m last summer and his release clause is reportedly 72m and they're holding out for that. Maybe his contract is going to it's last year and he'll go for less but that's his general value in the current market.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

This article covers some of the realities I have been saying as to why we need more depth in some areas. No matter how much players like VvD, Robertson, Salah and Mane may seem somehow near indestructible they will only seem that way till they aren't. The teams that achieve the most don't have "starting 11s" and those that you think are the starting 11s actually play far less than people suppose. At the moment are main changes have happened due to injuries to Alisson and having good options to partner VvD and to build a midfield from.

Klopp likes small, close-knit teams with a great spirit. So the challenge is how to achieve that. Klopp likes to use versatile players so having 15 top class outfield players is probably reasonable if they all cover multiple positions. This can give us room to use more talented youth players and less reliant on limited "squad" players.

Definite choices moving forward (years ahead of them, top class, at least semi-reliable fitness, under long term contract) and the positions they cover;

VvD (CB), Gomez (CB, RB, LB), Alexander-Arnold (RB, Wing, CM), Robertson (LB, Wing), Fabinho (DM, CM, CB, RB), Henderson (CM, DM, AM), Salah (Wing, CF), Mane (Wing, AM, F9), Firmino (F9, AM, CF).

Maybe choices due to being injury hit, uncertainty on quality, ending contracts etc;

Matip (CB), Wijnaldum (CM, AM), Milner (LB, RB, CM), Oxlade-Chamberlain (CM, AM, Wing), Keita (CM, AM), Grujic (CM, DM), Wilson (Wing, AM), Shaqiri (Wing, AM), Minamino (AM, F9, CF, Wing), Origi (CF, Wing).

Out of those I'd definitely be keeping Minamino he has potential to be in the first list. Wijnaldum if he extends his deal (he would then be in the first list). Matip, Ox and Keita are mostly injuries why they aren't in the other lists. Matip unless someone better/more reliable is brought in. Ox who is top class when fit. Keita unless he wants to leave should be given another year. That makes 13 with Minamino as a squad option. Milner is probably staying another year or two as a squad option too.

That to me leaves two gaps, are Wilson or Grujic good enough/correct fits to fill them? Not sure they are unfortunately. Grujic maybe has a place if Wijnaldum moves on but otherwise think there isn't room for him. Wilson and Shaqiri both struggle to fit, neither right for 433, too old to be prospects. With 433 as main formation they are limited to squad roles if they stay. Same with Origi.

With talented players like Jones, Elliott and Brewster around we don't need so many squad options in attack. Wilson, Shaqiri, Origi and Minamino is way overkill on that front.

But as towards 15 top players I'd be adding two players if Matip, Wijnaldum, Ox and Keita all stay. One player to play LB with RB, CM, Wing and CB all options for secondary positions. The other player to be a real, viable, alternative to Mane on the left wing (who is a real, viable, alternative to Salah on the right wing) if they can play right wing and/or centre forward then that's good too.

If we added say Cucurella and Sancho that would hit requirements but obviously there are alternatives, Achraf Hakimi and Kylian Mbappe would be the fantasy football level.

Danny Sarge

If Mane did go Madrid, you could possibly have Werner as his replacement and Havertz and Grealish as players to join with the extra funds.

Red over the water

For a big splash, I would bring in Sancho, Havertz and Werner; on proviso that Mo wanted a new challenge, and Origi went elsewhere for more football.

Sancho for Mo.
Werner for Origi.
Havertz for Lallana/Shaqiri/Wilson/Grujic and any other fringe players we didn’t need.

The overall amount we would have to fork out to do those deals would be well within the bounds of our budget, as the outgoings would largely cover incoming.

We also need a left back and possibly another central defender, depending on what happens there.

Mo is currently better than Sancho, so that’s a little hit, but Sancho is already very good and will get even better. Still, a slight decline in immediate quality there, if I’m being fair... but a long term reasonable move with upside to come.
Werner improves on Origi.
Havertz massively improves on the other fringe attacking midfield options, with lots more improvement and upside to come.

It’s doable. Overall the team improves right away, with scope for more improvement as the young breed grows with us as Klopp builds another great team.

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
Good plan, all certs to strengthen us. Sancho, Werner and Havertz are all so obvious.The quality we should be aiming for.

However, surely agent Edwards will do his due diligence and will bring in new lads none of us have ever heard of?

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Lovren is a dilemma imo.

Up to £20m for a player with one year left on his contract is tempting.

We all know he is not the best CB out there but he could sign for the likes of Spurs / Arsenal and be a clear upgrade to what they have at the Moment.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Lovren is a dilemma imo.

Up to £20m for a player with one year left on his contract is tempting.

We all know he is not the best CB out there but he could sign for the likes of Spurs / Arsenal and be a clear upgrade to what they have at the Moment.
No way we get that for him, £10mil I reckon.

Joe Gomez x

Obviously slow in the transfer land, another decent article on the types of young player we could be looking at;

I was working doing analysis over in Portugal during a youth tournament, seen this lad playing for Portugal u18s at the time. Must of been about 16. Incredible.... finishing top class, movement and acceleration fantastic. Seems to be a more ‘off the shoulder’ type of striker rather than that false 9. Would be a great move although Porto would be highly resistant to let him leave although I’m not quite sure of the contract details which might allow for it. But if it’s for less than 8 million I’d go for it .

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Alisson, Van Dijk, Henderson, McManaman, Sturridge.

Peak, fit Sturridge was as good as anyone, often gets forgotten. McManaman was also criminally underrated. Henderson is a jack of all trades in midfield, can do everything. Every other midfield option is better than Hendo at doing some things but limited at doing others whereas Hendo is OK at everything.