Who would you buy?

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
Nice team ARD, I went for Sturridge aswell (and Stevie) originally. I agree with you, Studge at his peak and fully fit was a phenomenal player.
Big Virg has to play though, he's the equivalent of 3 players.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I went with Fowler, Bobby, Hendo, Agger, Ali

The Fabi pick does open things up a lot.
I remember an interview with one of our coaches and they said on the fun 5 aside games with players Suarez would play so hard and so fast he’s be covered in bruises.. imagine him and bobby!

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Harsh Dreamer. He's a decent shot-stopper. I think he'd actually be okay in 5 a side.
That really was a false narrative that got accepted as fact. Used to believe it myself. But there were big long runs when every single shot on target against us would go in, some of them were reasonably easy saves too.

Joe Gomez x

Would love Grealish, hardworking but very good on the ball. Will run much more than Maddison from what I’ve seen. Looks bulked up and strong while maintaining that David Silva esque type player. Looks to be a ‘bad boy’ type lad but I think he would do his talking on the pitch.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
http://instagr.am/p/B-17nT5jZHK/
A fun new type of whom you’d buy. Mods, please remove if it’s in the wrong spot.
Assuming everyone's fully fit it would be

Sturridge, Mané, Coutinho, VvD, James for me.

Scratch that, I've just realised we've got a budget of £15m and the players' values are in dollars ;)

My new team is, therefore,

Sturridge, Mané, Coutinho, VvD and Alisson.

Last edited:

MarcusBerglund

Looking at the current situation, the club won't be able to spend huge in the current transfer market. But I still think that we can use the fact that many clubs will be closer to bankrupt than ever and we are in a very solid situation. This season we only spent less than 9 mln. pounds for van den Berg and Minamino.

And at the same time LFC accmumulated more than 40 mln. pounds from sales and loans - 18 mln. pounds for Ings, 7 mln. pounds for Kent, 6,4 mln. pounds for Mignolet; 5 mln. pounds loan fees for /Grujic -2 mln. pounds, Wilson - 2,5 mln. pounds and Taiwo - 0,5 mln. pounds/.
Reading have an obligation to buy Ejaria for 3 mln. pounds rising to 3,5 mln. And of course Allan joined Atletico Mineiro for 3,2 mln. pounds.

The club will probably remove at least 3 players with expiring contracts and two fo them are on big wages - Lallana /110 000 pounds per week/, Clyne /70 000 pounds per week/ and Lonergan /25 000 pounds per week/.

We need a left full back to let Robbo have a rest when needed. Chepa option is a young Scot - Aaron Hickey form Hearts. Only 17 years old, but already a starter for Hearts and one of their best performers in a poor season for the club. They are in financial trouble too and will probably be relegated and in my opinion it will be a low risk and solid signing.

We definitely need a cover for our front three, not only because they are no machines, but they also need a healthy competition. The ACON means that we will be without Salah, Mane and Keita between 4 and 6 weeks in one of the most loaded period of matches in the season.

I think that we can sell - Wilson, Grujic, Karius /strong interest for Marco and Loris from Germany/ nad invest in a player with potential and quality from a team in financial trouble. There will be a lot of teams who will struggle with the new financial world climate.

Lyon /have a huge debt for their new stadium and looks like there won't be Europe for next season for them and of course all L1 teams did not receive around 250 mln. euro from their TV contract/ - Depay /injured for a long time and his price could be around 30-40 mln. pounds/.

West Ham - already admitted that they have financial problems. Felipe Anderson looks like a very good option to deputise for Salah or Mane.

Werder Bremen - 4 points behind 16th placed Dusseldorf wioth a game in hand. Raschica has a relegation release clause of 12 mln. euro

Schalke 04 - already annaounced that they have huge financial troubles. Lost their best prospect /Nubell/ to Bayern Munich on a free transfer. Need to sell to balance the books /especially with future matches without fans/ - Amin Harit /6 goals and 4 assists/ and Suat Serdar /7 goals/ are two very interesting creative midfielders.

Valencia - another team with huge debt and needing money. Ferran Torres /available for 30 mln. euro/.

Sassuolo - they are not in the same situation as the teams above, but still need money and their owner /MAPEI/ have a self sustainable strcture. Selling thier best players and buying ubdervalued youngsters. Berrardi is playing his best season /9 goals and 5 assists/, can play on both wing and is only 25 years old. Another interesting player they have is former Chelsea youth product Jeremie Boga, now 23 years old, /plays on the left wing, while Berardi is right winger/ with 8 goals and 2 assists.

As I said we don't need to spend crazy money nfor new palyers in current financial climate and the rise of Elliot, Jones and Williams, but still we need players ready to step up immediately in the league and in the CL if we miss one of our top players.

Left back and a back up for the front three is the minimum which is required in my opinion and as I wrote - it can be done without spending fortune.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Alisson, Van Dijk, Henderson, Macca, Sturridge

Sturridge and Macca for 3m are the bargains there, both will be as good as any other player on that list with their pace and technical ability. Henderson would never stop running. Van Dijk can defend on his own. Alisson is the best shot stopper there by a mile.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Alisson, Van Dijk, Henderson, Macca, Sturridge

Sturridge and Macca for 3m are the bargains there, both will be as good as any other player on that list with their pace and technical ability. Henderson would never stop running. Van Dijk can defend on his own. Alisson is the best shot stopper there by a mile.
We do agree on some things then haha

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Sturridge and Macca for 3m are the bargains there, both will be as good as any other player on that list with their pace and technical ability.
Off topic, but just want to say this.

Watched recently all (league) goals on Liverpool's YT channel, some seasons when Macca was still here. Boy, he was some player. You can tell only by watching bits like that. I only caught his career at Real, where he was a good player, but maybe slowed down a bit in a different league/pace too.

All that how he left stuff aside (perhaps why people don't talk about him as much), I sense he was brilliant here. Unusual type, tall for a winger, but lean (lean and hungry, as Shanks would say!), fast (and especially with the ball), nice ball manipulations, skillful, could run all day and willing to take people on/just make things happen all day. I don't think I've seen a Liverpool player since him that managed to run as fast with the ball but almost glued to his feet. Correct me/add something if I'm wrong.

We really lacked better quality wide players for a while. We had different players doing different jobs there in different teams. But as individuals. There was a gap between a Macca and a Mane (even if the role has changed, especially for Klopp's team, they're basically wide forwards). Much bigger gap than the one before that, let's say between Barnes and Macca (they even played together for a while, but that was when Barnes played more CM?). Some players came close, some were often injured too (I liked Berger and was very excited when we signed Kewell).

Last edited:

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Zoran is reading my mind there. This made me remember an article from Football 365, from maybe a whole decade ago if not more, that described the positions which they thought were respective Achilles' heels of then PL managers (when it came to transfers). I think Ferguson's was central midfield, while Rafa's was fullback position. He didn't have the best record when it comes to buying fullbacks but I thought that wings positions were actually Rafa's biggest problem because I can't remember him signing a consistently good wide man - the best he got was Kuyt, a converted striker. Then again, Houllier also had the same issue, with Kewell being perennially injured and he also didn't inherit much (though I've always thought that Berger should have had a better career at Liverpool - but for injuries, which could be said for a lot of players).

This is why I'm not engaging in this "sell Salah or Mane, they're 28, buy Sancho" talk. I'd love Sancho at Liverpool but Klopp won't get a 100+ million pounds player to sit on the bench. There's also a small matter of Salah and Mane being truly world class players over the past two calendar years and, at least in my opinion, rivalling John Barnes for the title of the best wide player Liverpool have ever had. McManaman would have surely been a strong candidate but he had other things to do. We'll see if these two can remain at this level for prolonged period and if they have some other plans, though.

When it comes to getting new players, current world situation permitting, I'd be very happy if Liverpool could get Arsenal's Saka. It seems he has one more year left on his contract, he'll qualify as homegrown player, he's young enough not to expect to be a regular starter and he has just the right physical and technical qualities to play in Klopp's team (an outstanding crosser of the ball, he really surprised with that).

Sweeting

All that how he left stuff aside (perhaps why people don't talk about him as much), I sense he was brilliant here. Unusual type, tall for a winger, but lean (lean and hungry, as Shanks would say!), fast (and especially with the ball), nice ball manipulations, skillful, could run all day and willing to take people on/just make things happen all day. I don't think I've seen a Liverpool player since him that managed to run as fast with the ball but almost glued to his feet. Correct me/add something if I'm wrong.

We really lacked better quality wide players for a while. We had different players doing different jobs there in different teams. But as individuals. There was a gap between a Macca and a Mane (even if the role has changed, especially for Klopp's team, they're basically wide forwards). Much bigger gap than the one before that, let's say between Barnes and Macca (they even played together for a while, but that was when Barnes played more CM?). Some players came close, some were often injured too (I liked Berger and was very excited when we signed Kewell).
He is one of the "forgotten" talents of the Premier League era. Maybe because he left at a relatively young age but he was everything you've described him as. Incredibly fast, technically superb, could play a variety of roles, very skilfull (in that "street footballer" style) and his physique made him a unique player.

You'd get laughed at on most general football forums but frankly he was a much, much better player than his more highly regarded equivalent over in Manchester - Ryan Giggs. Not to say Giggs was a bad player by any means (bad person, certainly) but McManaman had everything Giggs did and a lot more besides. He was widely regarded as one of the best players in the league throughout the mid-90s and the team leaned on him to win them games in the same way our mid-00s team would lean on Gerrard. In the wider footballing world now I think he is more remembered for being one of the Spice Boys which is wholly unfair on a player who, by then, had been Liverpool's key player for 3/4 years. It probably also didn't help his national profile, or profile in collective memory, that Glenn Hoddle was idiotic manager who didn't use him enough in the national team.

It's a shame he never stayed here and became a true club legend but we can hardly argue with his decision making he won eight trophies in four years and Madrid wasn't quite the poisonous snake pit when he joined that it would become a couple of years later.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
He is one of the "forgotten" talents of the Premier League era. Maybe because he left at a relatively young age but he was everything you've described him as. Incredibly fast, technically superb, could play a variety of roles, very skilfull (in that "street footballer" style) and his physique made him a unique player.

You'd get laughed at on most general football forums but frankly he was a much, much better player than his more highly regarded equivalent over in Manchester - Ryan Giggs. Not to say Giggs was a bad player by any means (bad person, certainly) but McManaman had everything Giggs did and a lot more besides. He was widely regarded as one of the best players in the league throughout the mid-90s and the team leaned on him to win them games in the same way our mid-00s team would lean on Gerrard. In the wider footballing world now I think he is more remembered for being one of the Spice Boys which is wholly unfair on a player who, by then, had been Liverpool's key player for 3/4 years. It probably also didn't help his national profile, or profile in collective memory, that Glenn Hoddle was idiotic manager who didn't use him enough in the national team.

It's a shame he never stayed here and became a true club legend but we can hardly argue with his decision making he won eight trophies in four years and Madrid wasn't quite the poisonous snake pit when he joined that it would become a couple of years later.
Along with Fowler, Macca is the other main reason I began following Liverpool when I first became properly interested in football. Just a joy to watch.

Dave-D

L’equipe saying Aouar is available for 50 million euros.
Sounds like a Liverpool deal if there ever was one especially with no more info on Gini resigning

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
L’equipe saying Aouar is available for 50 million euros.
Sounds like a Liverpool deal if there ever was one especially with no more info on Gini resigning
10 days ago english media reported that we are interested in Aouar and that he would cost around £40m - so the price might be correct. That was the report that claimed we won’t do any business this summer because of Corona btw.

Surprises me that Aouar would cost half the price of Havertz. Both mainly attacking midfielders and same age.

Tbh I don’t think we will be in for any of them because of Curtis Jones who is 2-3 years younger than Aouar and Havertz.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Off topic, but just want to say this.

Watched recently all (league) goals on Liverpool's YT channel, some seasons when Macca was still here. Boy, he was some player. You can tell only by watching bits like that. I only caught his career at Real, where he was a good player, but maybe slowed down a bit in a different league/pace too.

I don't remember where I saw it, but some documentary style video has Ferguson talking to United team, and he always shit on Redknapp and said United don't have to worry about the middle of the pitch, but we need to focus all our attention on Macca. He's the one player that can beat us.