Who would you buy?

Red over the water

One of my finest/worst moments involved Steve McManaman.

Was on honeymoon in lovely North Wales (would have preferred the Maldives, like, but we didn't have any money as a young couple... and anyway, Wales is beautiful). Anyhow, went out for a meal and when they asked if we wanted dessert I said, "No, just the bill please." We raced out of the restaurant and whizzed around those spectacular winding country lanes and back to the B&B.

We practically jogged inside. Randy young couple? Nope, it was Liverpool v Celtic on TV. We were a UEFA Cup team at the time, but Macca was in his pomp. It was the match where he took the ball from just outside our box and dribbled right down the pitch before curling it into the bottom corner.

To this day, over 22 years later, my wife still occasionally has a go at me for that evening. Macca gave me the perfect riposte. How can you argue with a goal like that? I could have missed it!

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
If Africa Cup and at least one of the domestic Cups get cancelled for next season we don’t need any signings.

Even without Lallana, Clyne and Chirivella and even if we sell/loan the likes of Philipps, Grujic and Wilson we’d still would have the best squad in the world.

Limiescouse

While this summer might put the kibosh on high profile big singings, the financial situation could force some clubs into selling and creating some useful opportunities that might not otherwise have been there.

In France Lyon seem vulnerable missing out on Europe entirelyu for the first time in forever. That puts Aouar, Dembele and Depay in the window, the former 2 who seem a reasonable fit. But Monaco are also in big trouble and that presents an opportunity we wouldnt normally look at given the age, but a Ben Yedder on the cheap would bolster us considerably. It could even finally see Jovetic coming to us a full 8 years and 1350 pages later than initially suggested.

Red over the water

Ps - Havertz looks like he’s really growing as a player. Would be expensive, but there’s so much there to like. A bit further forward and he’s looking like a reliable goal scorer now too.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Jovetic wow blast from the past. Liking Havertz more and more after initially wondering how a AM type would help improve us significantly. He could well be a good shout to eventually take over Firmino. Maybe a 2021 move? Really not expecting much to happen this summer.

Dave-D

While this summer might put the kibosh on high profile big singings, the financial situation could force some clubs into selling and creating some useful opportunities that might not otherwise have been there.

In France Lyon seem vulnerable missing out on Europe entirelyu for the first time in forever. That puts Aouar, Dembele and Depay in the window, the former 2 who seem a reasonable fit. But Monaco are also in big trouble and that presents an opportunity we wouldnt normally look at given the age, but a Ben Yedder on the cheap would bolster us considerably. It could even finally see Jovetic coming to us a full 8 years and 1350 pages later than initially suggested.
Aouar is believed to be available this summer for 50 million euros if the rumours are true.

Monaco supposedly have a significant amount of players out on loan and will have to significantly trim their squad for next season so could well be willing to do a deal to help get the wage bill down

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Jovetic wow blast from the past. Liking Havertz more and more after initially wondering how a AM type would help improve us significantly. He could well be a good shout to eventually take over Firmino. Maybe a 2021 move? Really not expecting much to happen this summer.
Yeah, I thought the same last year

I haven't seen a lot of him but from what I have we wouldn't be looking to use him on the flanks. He's a good passer, tall, makes excellent runs into the box (timed well), has a trick or two with which he can beat a man 1-on-1 but doesn't have the blistering pace over ten/twenty yards that Mané has, although he's not slow but it's just not explosive pace. If we were to buy him I think he could play anywhere in the midfield 3 or in the Firmino role, or as a 10 if we wanted to set up that way.

It would probably end up being our normal XI with Fabinho and Havertz in midfield with pretty much any one of the others.

Limiescouse

The really interesting thing about him now playing up top and doing well, is that earlier in the season he was finding himself playing deeper than normal to try to make up for a creative deficiency they had with the loss of Brandt. I have always been an advocate of the idea that you can learn a lot about your actual position by playing in other roles (play CB and experience first hand the sort of movements that make you uncomfortable and then see how you can incorporate that), and so I think his seamless move across different areas of the pitch lend themselves very well to a side like that ours that is far more flexible in our shape and approach than we are given credit for.

GermanRed

Wouldn't surprise me if Klopp and Edwards have one Stipulation for this years summer Business - 'don't spent more than you can get in sales'.

Timo Werners clause is £49,5m and pre Corona we would have been able to get that Money back by selling any two of Grujic, Shaqiri, Wilson and Origi. Now with Corona i think £45m is the maximum we could get with selling any two of them.

Red over the water

I half wonder if Newcastle might splash a bit of Saudi cash? (Has all that gone through?) I saw Shaqiri linked, so maybe they will give us good money for one or two others who aren't quite good enough for what we have become, but would still represent an upgrade for Newcastle.

Which raises a conundrum itself.

If we are morally against a Saudi takeover for Newcastle, would it then follow that we would be against doing any business with them?

GermanRed

Speaking about Shaqiri, where is he, saw a lot of photo's/video's of the first weeks of training, Becker is fit again but no Shaqiri.
At this stage, every player appears to be fit bar Xherdan Shaqiri, with Nathaniel Clyne also absent following his ACL injury, with the right-back due to leave the club on the expiry of his contract.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Marcus Thuram has impressed since the restart. Not the most technical looking but is unbelievably powerful and very quick. He'd be an interesting option for either wide positions.

lfc.8

Outside Mbappe as far as young forwards go I don't think you can look much past Lautaro Martinez and Sancho. They should be the top of our targets. However Barcelona look favourites for Martinez if he does move and Sancho I'm not sure if the club will have the appetite.

Werner remains heavily linked and does offer a blend between a wide and central forward. Scores plenty but how good he'd be I'm not entirely sure. AFCON at this stage is still going ahead, so it just makes it more important we reinforce and strengthen. Ideally the club also looks at another midfielder and fullback. Need more quality in both those areas.

GermanRed

If AFCON really goes ahead I’m not sure if Origi should be sold even if we bring in Werner.

I guess this could depend on what Minamino could offer until the end of the season.

Richard88

Sounds like Shaqiri and Lallana are going to be allowed to leave, making the squad without additions as follows:

---------------------- Alisson -------------------------
---------------------- Adrian --------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------
Trent ------ Gomez ------- Van Dijk ---- Robertson
Neco ------ Matip --------- Lovren ------------------
Hoever --- Vd Berg ----------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------
--------------------- Fabinho -------------------------
-------------------- Henderson -----------------------
----------- Wijnaldum ---------- Keita ---------------
------------ Milner --------------- Ox -----------------
---------------------------------- Jones ---------------
Salah -------------- Firmino ------------------- Mané
Elliott ------------- Minamino ------------------ Origi
--------------------- Brewster -------------------------

That looks solid enough, but a couple of new faces would really freshen up the squad a bit heading into next season, and also provide some cover during AFCON.

1. Versatile forward (eg. Werner)
2. Backup LB (eg. a left-sided version of Neco/Hoever)
3. CM/AM (i.e. a long-term Wijnaldum replacement, eg. Aouar)

GermanRed

@Richard88 good visualation of the squad situation but I think you forgot about Grujic and Wilson.

Can see Wilson being sold.

Not sure what will happen with Grujic.

Richard88

@Richard88 good visualation of the squad situation but I think you forgot about Grujic and Wilson.

Can see Wilson being sold.

Not sure what will happen with Grujic.
I didn't forget about them. I just don't think either of them are in Klopp's plans and very likely both get sold.

Wilson is a brilliant individual player and scores some cracking goals, but he lacks the link-up play and tactical understanding that is so crucial in Klopp's system. If he had those fundamentals he wouldn't be sent on loan constantly but would rather be introduced into the team like Trent/Jones/Neco/Elliott/etc.

Grujic is a talent, but he's kind of stuck between two roles. He's not defensively sound enough for the no.6 role, nor is he agile or mobile enough for the two No.8 positions in midfield.

Not a bad thing to have good players surplus to the first team, as those types of investments can fund moves for players who are perfect fits for the team.

W00die

Ad-free Member
We've had brilliant season so far, but I can't help thinking that after a lot of matches this year the general thoughts in the post match reviews was we didn't play well but won. While the winning is great we can't keep that up surely? (I know Man U did for many years so maybe we can!). I'd really like us to get someone better than Origi as an option up front and we need cover for Robo. I know Origi scored some great / important goals but I've never really rated him and think we need better. I'd also really like us to have a decent run in the FA and Leage cups, plus of course have a strong Premiership / Champions League season. I just hope we have the finances with all this Covid shit to make it happen.

Red over the water

Interesting links to Sancho in today’s Independent. I’d be very happy with that, as an upgrade to Origi, and an upgrade to Werner, the target we looked to be in for.

Limiescouse

Interesting links to Sancho in today’s Independent. I’d be very happy with that, as an upgrade to Origi, and an upgrade to Werner, the target we looked to be in for.
Regardless of their veracity, I think they were inevitable given that Warner is now a dead end for them. Massive, massive pinch of salt.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Separate article on the Independent also putting us in the frame for Havertz. Valuing both at around £80m.

Says Bayern more likely for Havertz and United more likely for Sancho. In both cases, Madrid and Liverpool are named as the main alternatives.

It's notable how little City are currently being linked to players.

Red over the water

Too much to hope for, I’m sure, but I would love both Sancho and Havertz.

Sancho this summer, as an upgrade to Origi and a genuine alternate to Mo/Mane, especially with one eye on AFCON.
Havertz next summer, possibly even as a replacement for Bobby by then (don’t get me wrong, I love Bobby, and he has the sort of game that could go on for years at the highest level as it’s not all about the pace).

Lots of permutations but Sancho and Havertz are of the calibre to help lead the next team that emerges and evolves under Klopp at Anfield.

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
I think Shaqiri and Lallana will leave and we won't keep Wilson since he is incomplete. Elliott has a lot of potential but he is way too young for a imediate backup player and we need to improve that position, imo.

Imo, Sancho is one of the very few wingers that could improve our XI and force a 4-2-3-1 change. But this guy is a dream for this season. I highly doubt we will spend this much because covid issues + the way we've been managing our finances. Sancho is probably a £90~100m buy. I could see clubs like United or PSG paying something like that by this next window but we are a whole different story.

Other than that, I still think we could find a £20~30m winger and I have a decent name: Everton (lol). I've been talking about him for the past two years in this forum along with the likes of Arthur, Lautaro Martinez, Exequiel Palacios, and Paquetá. The only player that didn't live up to the hype was Paquetá and he has some healthy issues (depression).

Everton is a poor man's Neymar. Plays for Grêmio in Brazil. He has received calls from Guardiola one year ago and Ancelotti recently (confirmed by the player himself). Also, Napoli have scouted him. He is a late bloomer, 24 years old. He was the best player in Copa América for Brazil (replacing Neymar).

Amazing in 1x1, a good finisher, decent speed, good in tight spaces, lots of flair. Can play anywhere across the attack (but his best by far is LW). He is a bit selfish, though, but that's because he is the star in his team. Would be avaiable for £20~25m. He will 100% leave Grêmio this season, but we still don't know where. He could be such a good buy.

W00die

Ad-free Member
Everton is a poor man's Neymar. Plays for Grêmio in Brazil. He has received calls from Guardiola one year ago and Ancelotti recently (confirmed by the player himself). Also, Napoli have scouted him. He is a late bloomer, 24 years old. He was the best player in Copa América for Brazil (replacing Neymar).

Amazing in 1x1, a good finisher, decent speed, good in tight spaces, lots of flair. Can play anywhere across the attack (but his best by far is LW). He is a bit selfish, though, but that's because he is the star in his team. Would be avaiable for £20~25m. He will 100% leave Grêmio this season, but we still don't know where. He could be such a good buy.
If we are interested in him we should ask Everton (the club) to help us fund him as pundits wouldn't then be able to keep saying "it's been x years since Everton have won at Anfield"! No idea if he's any good mind you...