Who would you buy?

Jah_Pool

Zaha and Lewis please....Traore would cost 75 mill+. If we have that to spend on one player, why not buy two for the left side. Norwich are going down and Zaha has been itching to leave for two seasons now.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Zaha and Lewis please....Traore would cost 75 mill+. If we have that to spend on one player, why not buy two for the left side. Norwich are going down and Zaha has been itching to leave for two seasons now.
Zaha has been itching to leave but the club wont let him go cheaply as he is their main asset, so has been priced out of moves. He turns 28 this year, and would be playing at AFCON - which again leaves us short if the tournament is held mid season. I dont see the club paying big money for a forward cover. We'll be looking for younger players at that price range, if anyone at all.

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
Zaha has been itching to leave but the club wont let him go cheaply as he is their main asset, so has been priced out of moves. He turns 28 this year, and would be playing at AFCON - which again leaves us short if the tournament is held mid season. I dont see the club paying big money for a forward cover. We'll be looking for younger players at that price range, if anyone at all.
And Manure still have a sell-on clause from any sale.

Sweeting

Xavier Mbuyamba is being released by Barcelona. Chelsea had him on trial last year but couldn't sign him due to their transfer ban.

He's a Dutch CB, U19 international with Sepp van den Berg. I'd try and get guys like that in, even if he turns out a bit crap (which I don't think he is) he would be worth some money in future.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
I think why we are not desperate to buy Werner simply because there are plenty of potential players that Klopp can develop into the next level. Not just players like Traore but just to throw out a few names who have done pretty well in other leagues recently like Dodi Lukebakio, Ricardo Orsolini or even Lucas Ocampo in Sevilla...these are players who might not exactly be great players now but Klopp definitely has the eye and track record to make superstars of a good player. Now that we wrap up the title, I am really looking forward to the under radar signings we might make.

MarcusBerglund

Well, the monkey is off our back. Number 19 is at its rightful place, the home of the greatest club in England - Liverpool.
But sill LFC need more depth and quality. The prime examples were the last 3 games we played - Atletico Madrid, Everton and Palace.

Against the spanish team we missed the best GK in the world and they had the second best in the world and we lost, because we missed Alisson and they had Oblak. We were not good enough against Everton and lucky to snatch a point, but the fact that we missed Robbo and Salah played a huge part. Milner is 34 years old and injuries are something to be expected and of course James is a midfielder, that is his best position /and he said that he does not like play as a full back/. Gomez is not a great full back and he will never be, but at the same time if he stays injury free he could become one of the best central defenders in the world. Everton just knew that when they block TAA /or if he has a poor game by his standarts/ our left side does not possess the same quality, because we have no adeqaute cover for Andy.

Salah was also missing vs. Everton and neither Minamino, nor Origi are even close to his quality.

Let's say that we don't need another GK and stay with Alisson /hopefully more injuries for Allie/, Adrian and Jaros.
Kelleher and Grabara will probably go out on loan that will help their development.

In defence we have 4 solid central defenders - VvD, Gomez, Matip and Lovren and we should stick with them. I know that many fans don't like Dejan, but he is important part of the squad and when called upon, he always gives his best. We have the best full backs in the world - TAA and Robbertson. In my opinion Neco Williams is the yongster who is closest to the first team and I am fully behind the idea to have him as Trent's understudy. So, we will need only a cover for Robbo, a quality left back - young, with potential, willing to learn and to spend some time on the bench, looking at the amount of matches we usually play - this new player can expect to play something between 20-30 matches.

Hoever, van den Berg, Larouci will probably be used mainly in the FA Cup /looks like this season the League Cup will be cancelled/ or will be given a chance to play on loan.

Defence:

CD- VvD, Gomez, Matip and Lovren
Full backs - TAA, Robbo, Williams, new player

Midfield - I'd say that this is the area where we have best depth of quality and quantity - Fabinho, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Keita, AOC, Milner, Jones /as Lallana's deputy/. No need to strengthen the squad in midfield.

Midfielders:

Fabinho, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Keita, AOC, Milner, Jones

Attack - Salah, Mane, Firmino are the undisputable leaders. We also have Origi, Shaqiri, Minamino, while Jones could play on the left of our attack and Elliott will be slowly introduced. Problem is the drop of qulity in our attack when one of Salah, Mane or Firmino is missing.
I think that Shaq will be sold in the upcoming transfer window and his injuries are a real problem for Klopp.

Forwards - Salah, Mane, Firmino, Origi, Minamino, Ellitott
We desperately need to add in this area, we need player that can rival and improve even more are front three. Depay /Lyon/, Ousmane Dembele /Barca on loan/, David Neres /Ajax/, Stengs and Boadu /both from AZ/, Boga /Sassuolo/, Buendia /Norwich/, Felipe Anderson /West Ham/, Saka /Arsenal/.

There are several players coming back from loan - Grujic, Karius, Taiwo, Grabara, Wilson, Philips, Brewster, Ojo, Woodburn.

In my opinon Brewster, Grabara, Woodburn will only benefit from another loan.
Grujic, Karius and Wilson - will be sold /almost every realiable journalist connected to the club says that if a suitable offer arrive, they will leave/. Philips, Taiwo and Ojo are in the same group, but it is not clear if any club will be ready to spend for those three.

lfc.8

See the need for three new players. Fullback, midfielder and a forward. If we lose Lovren then a centre back as well.

Robertson and Alexander-Arnold are great but there's not much behind them. The drop off is stark and the lack of suitable options is a weakness and how the style of play is affected. Perhaps Williams can develop further and cement a place in the squad but still need more quality.

Midfield can improve. Thought Keita did well in the Everton game and there's perhaps some promising signs for next season but up to this stage at least combined with injuries, we haven't really seen enough. Henderson and Wijnaldum (needs to sign a new contract) are good but wouldn't class them as special. Similar with Oxlade-Chamberlain. Ideally we'd sign some akin to Modric in his peak (world class) or De Bruyne but that's not viable.

Firmino, Mane and Salah again all great but the drop off is a concern and we don't really have suitable wide forwards as options. Origi, Minamino and Shaqiri all do a job but offer nowhere near the same threat or goals and the style is also impacted. AFCON is also a factor. We need another wide forward. Sancho would have to be pretty high up on the list of players to go for.

Last edited:

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
See the need for three new players. Fullback, midfielder and a forward. If we lose Lovren then a centre back as well.

Robertson and Alexander-Arnold are great but there's not much behind them. The drop off is stark and the lack of suitable options is a weakness and how the style of play is affected. Perhaps Williams can develop further and cement a place in the squad but still need more quality.

Midfield can improve. Thought Keita did well in the Everton game and there's perhaps some promising signs for next season but up to this stage at least combined with injuries, we haven't really seen enough. Henderson and Wijnaldum (needs to sign a new contract) are good but wouldn't class them as special. Similar with Oxlade-Chamberlain. Ideally we'd sign some akin to Modric in his peak (world class) or De Bruyne but that's not viable.

Firmino, Mane and Salah again all great but the drop off is a concern and we don't really have suitable wide forwards as options. Origi, Minamino and Shaqiri all do a job but offer nowhere near the same threat or goals and the style is also impacted. AFCON is also a factor. We need another wide forward. Sancho would have to be pretty high up on the list of players to go for.
I really wouldn't have that much change. The midfield for a start works exactly as Klopp wants it to. Its elite class at the job it is actually doing even if it isn't doing the job many think it should be doing. Klopp knows best. Without the midfield doing what it does the fullbacks wouldn't have the freedom to set assist records, the front 3 wouldn't be so effective and the defence so secure. I've learnt to appreciate it for what it is.

The fullback probably needs to be multi functional or they really won't get much playing time. That is fine for a developing prospect like Williams maybe (although even his development might mean Trent missing a couple more games than he really needs to, but that's hardly a bad thing, it'll keep him fresh and hungry). But not sure a player either further along in their development (like say Saka from Arsenal) or a senior player would be quite satisfied unless Robbo gets injured. If Sheffield United weren't quite so strong I'd maybe consider Robinson coming back, adds to our squad developed numbers for Europe but even he may not be happy with so little potential playing time. Its why it might be for the best to give Larouci time to be a Williams style success or if Williams develops enough and can play LB too. Both would need Milner as main back up for a little longer though to give us chance to see though.

If there are any creative ways to bring in a forward to just give us a better option (Promes cheap or loan from Ajax maybe or Dembele from Barca on loan with option to buy) we should explore them but its probably the wrong financial market to be committing to big fee signings as things could really go down price wise over all this.

RedSeven

On the one road
Unless it's going to be a superstar or a replacement for someone who's leaving maybe we need to give the kids a chance to develop. Anyone with ambition is going to look at our team and find the task of dislodging them quite difficult.Klopp has time to bring those younger lads through, Jones, Williams, Laroucci and Brewster will hopefully benefit from opportunities which won't be there if we bring in senior players to cover for the first 11-15.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Sane? Considering he wants to city.
Grealish another player for long term, villa may go down. I think he can become a very good player under klopp.

Red over the water

Some good, thoughtful posts, thanks.

I disagree on Lovren and would like to see the back of him. The one job of a seasoned central defender, who is a back up at this stage, is to come in, do your job, and help spread calm assurance back there. No one expects spectacular. No one expects lightning speed or anything like that. But what we do expect, from a veteran that has seen it all, is competence. A solid performance. Not eye catching, but do your job, win your headers, win your duels, give it simple, job’s a good’un...

Unfortunately Lovren does not bring that to the table. When he is on the pitch it adds to the overall sense of unease, even panic. Everyone makes mistakes, but he makes too many. If it is a talented kid trying to come through then fair enough, you cut him a bit more slack. But a seasoned pro? If he can’t offer basic competence, and my view is he cannot, then we need to get rid.

With no other additions I would have VVD, Gomez, Matip, Fabinho, Philips and possibly even Hoever ahead of Lovren at this stage, and that’s before you get even more radical and look at someone like Henderson back there, in an emergency situation.

I don’t see any place for Lovren here. War torn and hard upbringing, so on a human level he has my respect for overcoming a difficult childhood and making something of himself as a pro footballer. His virus views are wappy but I wouldn’t let him go for any of that. I’d let him go because he’s not good enough, and even if we bring no one else in, there are other options.

If we bring someone else in, we may be able to cherry pick a cherry (see what I did there?) and Nathan Ake fits the bill as a central defender and left back cover. But that’s widening the conversation. The point I’m making is Lovren should be moved on, for footballing reasons. Collect your medal at the end of the season, hug your friend Mo, and then go and enjoy a couple years in sunnier climes to see out your career and boost your pension. He has a nice life and good luck to him, but taxi for Lovren!

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Some good, thoughtful posts, thanks.

I disagree on Lovren and would like to see the back of him. The one job of a seasoned central defender, who is a back up at this stage, is to come in, do your job, and help spread calm assurance back there. No one expects spectacular. No one expects lightning speed or anything like that. But what we do expect, from a veteran that has seen it all, is competence. A solid performance. Not eye catching, but do your job, win your headers, win your duels, give it simple, job’s a good’un...

Unfortunately Lovren does not bring that to the table. When he is on the pitch it adds to the overall sense of unease, even panic. Everyone makes mistakes, but he makes too many. If it is a talented kid trying to come through then fair enough, you cut him a bit more slack. But a seasoned pro? If he can’t offer basic competence, and my view is he cannot, then we need to get rid.

With no other additions I would have VVD, Gomez, Matip, Fabinho, Philips and possibly even Hoever ahead of Lovren at this stage, and that’s before you get even more radical and look at someone like Henderson back there, in an emergency situation.

I don’t see any place for Lovren here. War torn and hard upbringing, so on a human level he has my respect for overcoming a difficult childhood and making something of himself as a pro footballer. His virus views are wappy but I wouldn’t let him go for any of that. I’d let him go because he’s not good enough, and even if we bring no one else in, there are other options.

If we bring someone else in, we may be able to cherry pick a cherry (see what I did there?) and Nathan Ake fits the bill as a central defender and left back cover. But that’s widening the conversation. The point I’m making is Lovren should be moved on, for footballing reasons. Collect your medal at the end of the season, hug your friend Mo, and then go and enjoy a couple years in sunnier climes to see out your career and boost your pension. He has a nice life and good luck to him, but taxi for Lovren!
Slightly different reasoning but same result for me. In terms of talent I'd have VvD, Gomez, Matip and Fabinho (with Henderson deepest CM) before Lovren.

For the reasons you mentioned about Lovren causing disruption and uncertainty at the back ip would be choosing Hoever opportunities over Lovren too as there is long term gain in that even if Lovren may be slightly above Hoever in the short term (which isn't for sure).

Keeping Lovren would limit the development of youth prospects and force us into using him when actually its not the best sporting choice (do believe we kind of had to bring him on against Everton when dropping Fabinho back and bringing on a different attacking player was the better sporting choice, but would have been a team spirit damaging insult to Lovren and against the moral contract Klopp says he enters into with players over their roles at start of season).

I also think his contentious views over the virus etc are a serious issue when he does have influence in the locker room and elsewhere and could yet severely harm us from a club representative stand point.

nikz200

This is just a hypothetical but what do you think about getting Griezemann out of Barcelona and with us. He has good touch and plays well down the centre ,especially when he played for Athletico. Plus if Jurgen brings him back to his personal best that would even more make us a desirable spot for players who want to revive their careers.

nikz200

Slightly different reasoning but same result for me. In terms of talent I'd have VvD, Gomez, Matip and Fabinho (with Henderson deepest CM) before Lovren.

For the reasons you mentioned about Lovren causing disruption and uncertainty at the back ip would be choosing Hoever opportunities over Lovren too as there is long term gain in that even if Lovren may be slightly above Hoever in the short term (which isn't for sure).

Keeping Lovren would limit the development of youth prospects and force us into using him when actually its not the best sporting choice (do believe we kind of had to bring him on against Everton when dropping Fabinho back and bringing on a different attacking player was the better sporting choice, but would have been a team spirit damaging insult to Lovren and against the moral contract Klopp says he enters into with players over their roles at start of season).

I also think his contentious views over the virus etc are a serious issue when he does have influence in the locker room and elsewhere and could yet severely harm us from a club representative stand point.

Liverpool echo 58 minutes ago

"Liverpool are willing to offer Dejan Lovren to Napoli as part of a deal for Kalidou Koulibaly according to a report.

The Daily Mail cite Tuttosport as claming that the Premier League champions believe that they can get Napoli to lower their £90million asking price for Koulibaly by offering them Lovren."

nikz200

On stupid wages and wouldn’t displace any of our starting trio.

Next!

Todd Cantwell?
The point with Griezemann he won't have to displace any of our starting players, and if Klopp can talk to him about contributing and improving , he might even be willing to take a cut on his wages. We can keep the front 3 as is, maybe give a chance for Firmino to be rotated more too?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
This is just a hypothetical but what do you think about getting Griezemann out of Barcelona and with us. He has good touch and plays well down the centre ,especially when he played for Athletico. Plus if Jurgen brings him back to his personal best that would even more make us a desirable spot for players who want to revive their careers.
As much as I'm all for bringing in a fourth top quality attacker (so we are picking 3 from 4 and occasionally using all 4) I think it needs to be a player younger than our current 3. My expectation is that, with the physicality of the league and the intense job Klopp has his players do, that within 5/6 seasons (maximum) our front 3 will have moved on and need replacing.

The ideal would be bringing a 4th attacker in, younger than the other 3, bleed him into the side without as much pressure (the other three are all still there performing) till all 4 are at similar standing. Then when one of the 3 older players moves on we bring in another young attacker to be that 4th choice and repeat the process. And then so on till the attack is fully replaced.

Now in reality it won't move that smoothly. More than one may move on in the same year, one of the new guys may choose to move on before all the current guys have been moved on or one of the new guys might struggle. Also the new guys may not all need buying, someone like Elliott or Jones may make the step up.

But for the long term benefit of the side I think when we do recruit that 4th top player (externally from transfer market or internally via promotion) it should be someone younger than the current guys.

nikz200

As much as I'm all for bringing in a fourth top quality attacker (so we are picking 3 from 4 and occasionally using all 4) I think it needs to be a player younger than our current 3. My expectation is that, with the physicality of the league and the intense job Klopp has his players do, that within 5/6 seasons (maximum) our front 3 will have moved on and need replacing.

The ideal would be bringing a 4th attacker in, younger than the other 3, bleed him into the side without as much pressure (the other three are all still there performing) till all 4 are at similar standing. Then when one of the 3 older players moves on we bring in another young attacker to be that 4th choice and repeat the process. And then so on till the attack is fully replaced.

Now in reality it won't move that smoothly. More than one may move on in the same year, one of the new guys may choose to move on before all the current guys have been moved on or one of the new guys might struggle. Also the new guys may not all need buying, someone like Elliott or Jones may make the step up.

But for the long term benefit of the side I think when we do recruit that 4th top player (externally from transfer market or internally via promotion) it should be someone younger than the current guys.
The thing with it is the level drops considerably especially if we are playing preM and european games when any one of our front 3 gets benched or doesn't play. Especially given Firminos substitutions or absence after international breaks. Curtis Jones is ok and sure could play a role in the team, but Harvey Elliott is way too young and i don't feel he has the requisite ability to be a high contribution player yet.

your point about the players being younger than the current front 3 i can get behind it, but it also comes down to pricing and what not. Younger players are now priced astronomically and i don't think the club want to make a move like that. If we get Griezmann on loan and Brewster remains on his loan and improves the way everyone wants him to , then at worst we have the cover we need , at best Griezemann beasts it and contributes to the squad.

this is all hypothetical anyway, i know his attitude gets a bad rep, but when he was at Athletico he was a decent enough guy and player. He even stayed with Athletico when the club was going through things rather than force his way to barca all the way. I know his documentaries and what not have painted him a certain way, but if its a low risk move for a skilled player like this and of course only IF Jurgen thinks its worth doing, why not?

NYRhockey

The thing with it is the level drops considerably especially if we are playing preM and european games when any one of our front 3 gets benched or doesn't play. Especially given Firminos substitutions or absence after international breaks. Curtis Jones is ok and sure could play a role in the team, but Harvey Elliott is way too young and i don't feel he has the requisite ability to be a high contribution player yet.

your point about the players being younger than the current front 3 i can get behind it, but it also comes down to pricing and what not. Younger players are now priced astronomically and i don't think the club want to make a move like that. If we get Griezmann on loan and Brewster remains on his loan and improves the way everyone wants him to , then at worst we have the cover we need , at best Griezemann beasts it and contributes to the squad.

this is all hypothetical anyway, i know his attitude gets a bad rep, but when he was at Athletico he was a decent enough guy and player. He even stayed with Athletico when the club was going through things rather than force his way to barca all the way. I know his documentaries and what not have painted him a certain way, but if its a low risk move for a skilled player like this and of course only IF Jurgen thinks its worth doing, why not?
if you can get Griezman in for a year on loan that’s not a bad option. Bobby turns 29 in Oct and both Mane and Salah recently turned 28 so you still have 2-3 years of their prime left, but the succession plan cannot be delayed too much longer past next summer where you start bringing in a younger player to then take over one of the front 3 in a year or 2 then repeat the process.
When time comes to replace the front 3 I don’t think it’ll be a case where one summer all 3 are gone and new front 3 come in. Rather, I expect it to be a staggered approach over a few years where we replace them one by one.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Liverpool echo 58 minutes ago

"Liverpool are willing to offer Dejan Lovren to Napoli as part of a deal for Kalidou Koulibaly according to a report.

The Daily Mail cite Tuttosport as claming that the Premier League champions believe that they can get Napoli to lower their £90million asking price for Koulibaly by offering them Lovren."

Nope don't believe that in a million years. For a start Koulibaly has the right profile for those teams without financial concerns (City, PSG, maybe Real etc) to still willingly meet that asking price.

For us theres no guarantee he would automatically merit a starting place as Gomez has legitimately been top clas CB and Matip quite close to that too. Its not like when VvD came in and was automatically given a chance in our defence (that he then siezed and never let go) as Virgil came into a dysfunctional defence so it was reasonable to give him games. Klopp preaches about meritocracy, if Koulibaly came in and instantly got given chances when everything is going well it undermines that.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Greizemann's already 29? No thanks.
Yeah, "already" is the same feeling I have, too. It's like he stuck a bit too long at Sociedad, a bit too long at Atletico. And then I had no clue what Barca had in mind to make a front 3 of Messi, Griezmann and Suarez work. Took him time to get a chance for France, spent all his club career so far in Spain. I like him, he's a top player and there's no doubt about that. For his sake, I hope he finally leaves Barca (and maybe even Spain) to enjoy his final peak years somewhere where he not only fits tactically, but can be a key player. That could be somewhere where there's the need of a false 9, or even more, a two strikers/forwards formation. As far as us, too late I'd say. In the summer of 2014 he could've been a quality plan B when we failed to get Sanchez.

Ahmed Hussain

Sad guy with no life :(
I reckon the squad needs to start to freshen up a little in case it becomes a little stale. Bring in a player capable of walking into the starting 11. Most likely a number 10 or partner for Van Dijk.

Red over the water

I feel the need, the need for speed! If we are going to sign some attacking reinforcements, I want them to be fast! Obviously good players too, but fast as well.

No to Grease man. No to Cantwell. The first one is decent, but not great. Barcelona got ripped off. Cantwell is coming through and looks a decent player, but I’d rather see what Jones will become in a similar area of the pitch.