Who would you buy?

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
I really wouldn't have that much change. The midfield for a start works exactly as Klopp wants it to. Its elite class at the job it is actually doing even if it isn't doing the job many think it should be doing. Klopp knows best. Without the midfield doing what it does the fullbacks wouldn't have the freedom to set assist records, the front 3 wouldn't be so effective and the defence so secure. I've learnt to appreciate it for what it is.

The fullback probably needs to be multi functional or they really won't get much playing time. That is fine for a developing prospect like Williams maybe (although even his development might mean Trent missing a couple more games than he really needs to, but that's hardly a bad thing, it'll keep him fresh and hungry). But not sure a player either further along in their development (like say Saka from Arsenal) or a senior player would be quite satisfied unless Robbo gets injured. If Sheffield United weren't quite so strong I'd maybe consider Robinson coming back, adds to our squad developed numbers for Europe but even he may not be happy with so little potential playing time. Its why it might be for the best to give Larouci time to be a Williams style success or if Williams develops enough and can play LB too. Both would need Milner as main back up for a little longer though to give us chance to see though.

If there are any creative ways to bring in a forward to just give us a better option (Promes cheap or loan from Ajax maybe or Dembele from Barca on loan with option to buy) we should explore them but its probably the wrong financial market to be committing to big fee signings as things could really go down price wise over all this.
I would not be surprised to see Williams get some time at left back to see what he can offer there. If he can be groomed to cover both flanks that would be ideal.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
As MarcusBerglund will know, FSG have been taking out hundreds of millions to pay massive salaries for the Red Sox, so again this summer money is tight..

We have an excellent track record at buying from relegated players - Wijnaldum and Robertson are prime examples, Shaqiri/Ings also examples but not so prime (although Ings is doing bloody well this season).

Who would you like us to be checking out?

My choice would be Buendia (Norwich), an attacker who reminds me a little bit of Suarez, works very hard, technically excellent and young enough to be moulded by Klopp.

My 2nd choice would be Lewis (also from Norwich), a young left back who looks handy.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
As MarcusBerglund will know, FSG have been taking out hundreds of millions to pay massive salaries for the Red Sox, so again this summer money is tight..

We have an excellent track record at buying from relegated players - Wijnaldum and Robertson are prime examples, Shaqiri/Ings also examples but not so prime (although Ings is doing bloody well this season).

My choice would be Buendia (Norwich), an attacker who reminds me a little bit of Suarez, works very hard, technically excellent and young enough to be moulded by Klopp.

My 2nd choice would be Lewis (also from Norwich), a young left back who looks handy.
Ok to choose one player and one only from the relegation threatened sides;

Norwich Jamal Lewis
Villa Reina (cheating a little but there is literally nobody they actually own I'd be tempted by)
Bournemouth David Brooks maybe?
West Ham Cresswell i guess.
Watford Deulofeu

But generally quite slim pickings.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Sounds like Shaqiri and Lallana are going to be allowed to leave, making the squad without additions as follows:

---------------------- Alisson -------------------------
---------------------- Adrian --------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------
Trent ------ Gomez ------- Van Dijk ---- Robertson
Neco ------ Matip --------- Lovren ------------------
Hoever --- Vd Berg ----------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------
--------------------- Fabinho -------------------------
-------------------- Henderson -----------------------
----------- Wijnaldum ---------- Keita ---------------
------------ Milner --------------- Ox -----------------
---------------------------------- Jones ---------------
Salah -------------- Firmino ------------------- Mané
Elliott ------------- Minamino ------------------ Origi
--------------------- Brewster -------------------------

That looks solid enough, but a couple of new faces would really freshen up the squad a bit heading into next season, and also provide some cover during AFCON.

1. Versatile forward (eg. Werner)
2. Backup LB (eg. a left-sided version of Neco/Hoever)
3. CM/AM (i.e. a long-term Wijnaldum replacement, eg. Aouar)
I'd still think we'll look to get quality cover on the cheap. For example, Willian looks set to move out of Chelsea , maybe a move on for him?

As such I'd agree , Jones is Lallana's direct replacement with the ability to play further forward. Minamino plays across the front three positions and can slot in anywhere. Wijnaldum i hope signs an extended contract failing which Grujic could still be given a chance. I'd think Klopp will work with the guys for the next year while giving the youngsters more and more chances.

Brewster, I'm not sure will fit in and we really do need an upgrade on the backup strikers. Maybe a plan B if plan A of firmino doesn't workout and the teams start playing three in the back and 2 wingbacks to nullify our front 3.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I'd like to see a left footer or two to add some more balance to this side. One of them definitely an attacking left back, so Jamal Lewis is an obvious choice here. That said, before coronavirus, I had expected him to join some other PL side where he'd be a regular starter. It's not like he started every game for Norwich, though, but he has some potential to be Robertson's understudy.

Ake... I don't know, I've never been that big on him, he's one of those players who are a polar opposite to the likes of Van Dijk and Hyypia, i.e. they play with their heart on their sleeve, rather than rely on intelligent positioning and calmness. He's technically very good, though, and should score more goals than he does. He might be an option if Bournemouth go down, he's better than Lovren and fitter than both him and Matip. An alternative on Van Dijk he ain't, though, and he plays in his position anyway...

I've already made my feelings clear on Sarr - I think he'd be an upgrade on Origi simply because he's better suited to playing wide, while Origi is probably better served as centre forward. He can play on both flanks, he's strong as a rock and has plenty of pace to burn. Very raw and still looks a bit short on self-confidence, and he'd be pretty expensive, too. Still, he'd be my pick of relegation-threatened bunch.

Stretching it a bit but I like Brighton's Connolly. Extremely raw but reminds me of Danny Ings a lot.

I'd pass on West Ham and Aston Villa players. There are some I'd like to have (Rice, for example, I like him a lot, while Grealish is extremely talented, too, and is finally showing it) but deals such as these wouldn't make sense for anyone.

bazza66

TIA Oldie, still in the Youth Team though
Ad-free Member
I disagree on Lovren and would like to see the back of him. The one job of a seasoned central defender, who is a back up at this stage, is to come in, do your job, and help spread calm assurance back there. No one expects spectacular. No one expects lightning speed or anything like that. But what we do expect, from a veteran that has seen it all, is competence. A solid performance. Not eye catching, but do your job, win your headers, win your duels, give it simple, job’s a good’un...

Unfortunately Lovren does not bring that to the table. When he is on the pitch it adds to the overall sense of unease, even panic. Everyone makes mistakes, but he makes too many. If it is a talented kid trying to come through then fair enough, you cut him a bit more slack. But a seasoned pro? If he can’t offer basic competence, and my view is he cannot, then we need to get rid.

With no other additions I would have VVD, Gomez, Matip, Fabinho, Philips and possibly even Hoever ahead of Lovren at this stage, and that’s before you get even more radical and look at someone like Henderson back there, in an emergency situation.
I agree completely with you, here, mate.

Lovren has been oft debated, and his defenders seem to do so out of a spirited sense of fair play, rather than actually on his merits. No problem with that (as some of the abuse is OTT) but he is not, and never was, what we needed.

He does his best, but he's a confidence player, who posses little self-confidence - I think that's why he comes out with these cringe-worthy interviews. It's not that he's being arrogant, it seems like he's just coming out with an excess of motivational self-talk to convince himself. It's actually a good example of his dogged determination, and that's something to be admired.

The test, for me, is how do you feel when you see him come on as a substitute: do you think "yes, Dejan's on, he'll steady the ship!"? When he's starting, like at Watford, do you think "about time, Dejan deserves this start ahead of Matip!"? A lot of us would say the opposite.

It's not going to be a popular idea, but I'd be prepared to see us sell Lovren and Matip. Both have iffy fitness records (so does Gomez to a degree, but he's miles better than both, and with a higher ceiling). The reason for this is that Ben White probably wouldn't come here to be 4th choice, and he is going to be some player in a couple of years. He reads the game so well, and passing and tackling look great. If we were to buy him and loan him out for a season, then keeping Matip would be essential. Hoever could adequately take the Lovren position, and he's young enough to learn from Virgil.

The LB position and another fexible wide forward are a must, if we are to avoid running the lads into the ground. Bobby's position could be covered by Minamino, and Elliot might end up there at some point.

I've run out of steam here, as dinner is just coming out of the oven. Priorities etc.

(Sorry if this reads like a Lovren assassination)

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
For League Cup and FA Cup.

Adrian
Neco KJH SvdB Larouci
Milner Grujic Jones
Elliott Brewster Origi​

First team players who will be involved
One of Matip or
One of Keita or Ox
Minamino

Strong 'Second Squad' that could go very far but it clearly lacks an attacker with goals in him. That’s what we need. Versatile attacker with goals in him. Without that signing Klopp would always be tempted to use one of the Front3 for those games.

Same reason I would like to keep Grujic. With him in the squad Fabinho and Henderson are easier to rest. Have the feeling he would learn so much in those kind of games and improve very fast.

Am expecting Shaqiri and Wilson to be sold.

Question/Task
If you could add two youngsters to that squad who would you pick? Have the feeling I have forgotten about someone.

Craig_Johnston

I'm very down under, but my wife disagrees
Lallana, Shaqiri, Lovren, Origi, Clyne could all be sold. Can Williams cover lb? If so, all we’d need is quality cover for the front three.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Lallana, Shaqiri, Lovren, Origi, Clyne could all be sold. Can Williams cover lb? If so, all we’d need is quality cover for the front three.
No, Lallana has had his contract extended to end of season and is leaving on a free (end of next month?). Clyne didnt have his contract extended and is leaving when that runs out which is any day now if it hasnt already.

I dont know if Williams can play cb, he has played winger and full back in reserves.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

Adrian
Neco KJH SvdB Larouci
Milner Grujic Jones
Elliott Brewster Origi​
That line up wouldn't work as a 433. None of the midfielders would make an accurate 6 in the Klopp system and Jones, although he can play in the 3, is probably too attacking to be one of the 8s if the other two are Grujic and Milner. That would be better as maybe a 4222 of some type with Milner and Grujic as double pivot CMs and Jones plus Elliott wide attacking mids/wingers. And this is the main issue we have with our squad depth. We have plenty of options to switch things up, play a bit different and meet new challenges, in fact maybe too many! But we only have 2 senior players and one academy player who play in the style of our wide forwards. Our best, most effective, formation/tactics utilises two such wide forwards. If we buy anyone this summer that needs to be the issue we address. We are still effective in other formations and set ups. But we need to be able to successfully set up in our best formation. We cant just not do so whenever we don't have every player fit and available.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
No, Lallana has had his contract extended to end of season and is leaving on a free (end of next month?). Clyne didnt have his contract extended and is leaving when that runs out which is any day now if it hasnt already.

I dont know if Williams can play cb, he has played winger and full back in reserves.
Clyne's contract is up on Tuesday.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I'd like to see a left footer or two to add some more balance to this side. One of them definitely an attacking left back, so Jamal Lewis is an obvious choice here. That said, before coronavirus, I had expected him to join some other PL side where he'd be a regular starter. It's not like he started every game for Norwich, though, but he has some potential to be Robertson's understudy.

Ake... I don't know, I've never been that big on him, he's one of those players who are a polar opposite to the likes of Van Dijk and Hyypia, i.e. they play with their heart on their sleeve, rather than rely on intelligent positioning and calmness. He's technically very good, though, and should score more goals than he does. He might be an option if Bournemouth go down, he's better than Lovren and fitter than both him and Matip. An alternative on Van Dijk he ain't, though, and he plays in his position anyway...

I've already made my feelings clear on Sarr - I think he'd be an upgrade on Origi simply because he's better suited to playing wide, while Origi is probably better served as centre forward. He can play on both flanks, he's strong as a rock and has plenty of pace to burn. Very raw and still looks a bit short on self-confidence, and he'd be pretty expensive, too. Still, he'd be my pick of relegation-threatened bunch.

Stretching it a bit but I like Brighton's Connolly. Extremely raw but reminds me of Danny Ings a lot.

I'd pass on West Ham and Aston Villa players. There are some I'd like to have (Rice, for example, I like him a lot, while Grealish is extremely talented, too, and is finally showing it) but deals such as these wouldn't make sense for anyone.
Aaron Connolly but not Ake? Have you been drinking Mr Nikola?

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Aaron Connolly but not Ake? Have you been drinking Mr Nikola?
I knew who I'd trigger. :) I rate Ake, just not that highly, plus there are reasons I've mentioned that make this transfer a bit illogical, mainly from his point of view. I tend to view him as an inferior, left-footed version of Joe Gomez but definitely superior left-sided centre back to Lovren. Would have Liverpool paid 40 million pounds for him before this crisis? I don't think so. If Bournemouth went down and the price was half of that, I'd go in for him but I still think he'd choose a club where he'd be a regular.

As for Connolly, call it a hunch.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I knew who I'd trigger. :) I rate Ake, just not that highly, plus there are reasons I've mentioned that make this transfer a bit illogical, mainly from his point of view. I tend to view him as an inferior, left-footed version of Joe Gomez but definitely superior left-sided centre back to Lovren. Would have Liverpool paid 40 million pounds for him before this crisis? I don't think so. If Bournemouth went down and the price was half of that, I'd go in for him but I still think he'd choose a club where he'd be a regular.

As for Connolly, call it a hunch.
I'm fuming.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
If we’re looking at the relegation clubs, I’d be seriously tempted to look at Sarr from Watford. He’s very close to Mane, and really looks like he has the raw materials than Klopp can really work with. The only draw back is that signing him would really help us with the AFCON.

LFCFFC

Lewis and Sarr would be decent business in my entirely unqualified opinion.

The latter is more right-sided though - so debatable how much he covers Mane which is probably the bigger issue in terms of wing depth.

nikz200

Norwich : Cantwell-i feel like he can play multiple positions and can play the winger role in rotation and is still young enough to be moulded to our style. He also has a attacking flair about him as well as a toughness i like to see in players.

Jamal Lewis- Not bad , might develop even further him and max aarons. Potential more than anything squad changing.

Villa : Grealish - bad rep, daft but is he Villas most influential player? Without a doubt, he can take the ball and make stuff happen with it and is a hard worker on defence. Of course i think long term maybe our Curtis Jones can be better than Grealish, but would i be mad if we were in for him? Nope. No one else on Villa really appeals to me other than Grealish, probably on his way to the mancs anyway lol

Bournemouth: No one

West Ham: No one.

Watford: Sarr- Pace and skill, gives us that extra outlet as well also is untapped potential i still think. A bit like how Gini was in Newcastle before he joined us.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
He looks really good and we would 6 years out of him probably at the top level. I think he'd be worth 50m
Coming to the most intense league in the world. To the most intense club. At the age of 29. That's not goind to work out well.

Btw. i also believe that CB is the area where players get injured the most because of the weight they have to carry and because of the intensity.