Who would you buy?

Sweeting

Watford: Sarr - too good for Champsionship football but would be at least £40m (that's what Watford paid)

West Ham: no one

Bournemouth: Ake but I'm not entirely convinced by him plus he plays on the same side as van Dijk. He's a little wild in my opinion.

Diego Rico has an aggressive pressing style so maybe an outside shout for a bit of depth. Not really sure how good he is though.

Aston Villa: Grealish is the obvious option but he will have plenty of suitors and I still think there is something missing from his game (though I struggle to put a finger on it). Very similar to Jones and I'd rather Jones played.

Norwich: Jamal Lewis could provide depth at LB but again he is someone I havent watched thoroughly in the PL. Not sure he is quite attacking enough for us.

Emi Buendia is a nice player but not sure how he would fit in now that we have Minamino.

BigJon

Watford: Sarr - too good for Champsionship football but would be at least £40m (that's what Watford paid)

West Ham: no one

Bournemouth: Ake but I'm not entirely convinced by him plus he plays on the same side as van Dijk. He's a little wild in my opinion.

Diego Rico has an aggressive pressing style so maybe an outside shout for a bit of depth. Not really sure how good he is though.

Aston Villa: Grealish is the obvious option but he will have plenty of suitors and I still think there is something missing from his game (though I struggle to put a finger on it). Very similar to Jones and I'd rather Jones played.

Norwich: Jamal Lewis could provide depth at LB but again he is someone I havent watched thoroughly in the PL. Not sure he is quite attacking enough for us.

Emi Buendia is a nice player but not sure how he would fit in now that we have Minamino.
Declan Rice? Think what sort of player he could become under Klopps guidance. A good replacement for Lovren and a deputy for Fabinho. Looks as if Chelsea are in for him though.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
After being linked for so long... let's finally sign Doku. Then add a young LB and just continue on.

Obviously a top star like Sancho would have been preferable. But failing that I'd rather get someone with the potential to be world class than someone who is proven to be good but will never be starter quality for us.

I don't think we will get much for Lovren, so I wouldn't be rushing him out the door. If we get a good offer then sell, but otherwise I'd let him fight for 4th choice while giving Sepp, Hoever and Philips a chance.

Last edited:

rab

Irrespective of sales we need another left-footed left-back. Everyone seems to think Lewis is going to be happy to sit behind Robertson but I highly doubt we get a free run at him I suspect he's want to go somewhere he can play. I did wonder about a player we were known to be interested in before but we felt the fee was too high.

Lloyd Kelly was last years Jamal Lewis (in that he's young, English and has a left foot) and with Bournemouth looking like they are going down I wonder if we could revive that interest. He's barely played for them due to a couple of injuries but as a potentially cheap cover option, it might be something we look at.

Then everything else depends on outgoings and whether there's a market for the likes of Lovren, Grujic, Shaq, Wilson and Origi. For me, Jones slots in to cover the departing Lallana in the squad.

Lovren really has served his time here but unless we get a decent offer I wouldn't be pushing him out the door this window. Anything north of £12m and i'd let him go and be a starter elsewhere. I don't feel like we need to replace him with Hoever coming through but if he's not quite ready a cheap Klavan-esque stopgap for a year would be what i'd be looking for.

Grujic is old enough now for us to make a decision on whether he's going to make it here and I don't think he's getting in ahead of any of the lads we have. Anything in the £15m+ range and he can move on and get the game time he deserves. Cheeky little buy-back/first option clause in there just in case.

Shaq just doesn't seem to fit. He's not got the running to play in the midfield three for us and isn't at his best out wide. We also haven't seen much of him in the last year due to fitness issues so he's not one you can rely on. Another where £15m+ in this market would probably tempt me to let him go.

If we can't find a buyer or we can't get the left-footed wide player that plays on the right we want then i'd be tempted to keep Wilson. We need another left footer for when Salah needs a break and I think it's too early to be relying on Elliot just yet, exciting as he looks. If there was a market for Wilson i'd like to see us go after Calvin Stengs at AZ Alkmar. Had a real breakout season and is young enough to mould but has the pace and goal scoring instincts we look for in our wide forwards. Only issue is his agent is Mino Raiola and I don't think we as a club deal with him.

Origi I'd be happy to keep and let Brewster get another year out on loan, ideally in the Championship. Then next summer potentially let Div move on and bring Brewster into the fold or add another top wide forward when the financial picture is clearer.

So, left back for sure, left forward if we can raise the funds for the right player, and a cheap stop gap fourth choice centre back if needs be. Then next summer look to the big forward signing and probably a big player for the centre midfield with Milner, Hendo and Gini all getting on a bit.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Doesn't the fact that we were clearly strongly considering Werner suggest that there is a recognition that we need improved front three cover?
I dont think it is that straight forward. Next season we were due to have AFCON in mid season, so losing two or three key players for that tournament. That's no longer the case. We have since brought in Minamino, and promoted Jones. We dont know what exactly our plans for Origi and Shaqiri are in this climate (if the club dont think they can move them on at the price we want, they may not see the need for new forwards)

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Irrespective of sales we need another left-footed left-back. Everyone seems to think Lewis is going to be happy to sit behind Robertson but I highly doubt we get a free run at him I suspect he's want to go somewhere he can play. I did wonder about a player we were known to be interested in before but we felt the fee was too high.

Lloyd Kelly was last years Jamal Lewis (in that he's young, English and has a left foot) and with Bournemouth looking like they are going down I wonder if we could revive that interest. He's barely played for them due to a couple of injuries but as a potentially cheap cover option, it might be something we look at.

So, left back for sure, left forward if we can raise the funds for the right player, and a cheap stop gap fourth choice centre back if needs be. Then next summer look to the big forward signing and probably a big player for the centre midfield with Milner, Hendo and Gini all getting on a bit.
I'm not sure Kelly would make sense now (or if he even did last year). I think Lewis has played much more frequently than Kelly ever has in senior football, and looks like a left back who can get up and down (not that i have watched much of either). I would also assume Kelly's price would remain too high for our interest - Bournemouth are unlikely to agree a significant reduction to his price unless they really dont rate him. If they get relegated, surely they can find a use for him in the championship.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Lewis and Aarons aren't good enough. Neco has far more quality than both.

Not sure why they're so hyped tbh. Especially Aarons, he's shite.
He never gets minutes at left back, not disputing his talent and I've not seen enough of the Norwich lads either but surely we need a left footed player?

Even Milner at left back whilst solid has a negative impact on our offensive play and Mane suffers.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Irrespective of sales we need another left-footed left-back.
This is why I think Saka makes so much sense. He can play all up the left hand side and has even played through the middle. He only has a year left on his contract and I think he’d really develop under Klopp.

Every time I’ve seen him he’s looked like a Ryan Sessegnon who isn’t actually a bit shit.

If we just got him and called it a day I’d be delighted.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
He never gets minutes at left back, not disputing his talent and I've not seen enough of the Norwich lads either but surely we need a left footed player?

Even Milner at left back whilst solid has a negative impact on our offensive play and Mane suffers.
Not sure Milner is that much of a negative. He pulled up some very good offensive stats when playing there. A left footer would no doubt be preferable - but i think quality is the most important factor.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
This is why I think Saka makes so much sense. He can play all up the left hand side and has even played through the middle. He only has a year left on his contract and I think he’d really develop under Klopp.

Every time I’ve seen him he’s looked like a Ryan Sessegnon who isn’t actually a bit shit.

If we just got him and called it a day I’d be delighted.
I dont think Saka would come here unless there is a first team position he can claim as his own. I wouldnt be surprised to see City go for him.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I dont think it is that straight forward. Next season we were due to have AFCON in mid season, so losing two or three key players for that tournament. That's no longer the case. We have since brought in Minamino, and promoted Jones. We dont know what exactly our plans for Origi and Shaqiri are in this climate (if the club dont think they can move them on at the price we want, they may not see the need for new forwards)
Last I saw AFCON hadn't been resolved and they still ideally wanted to do it next winter. That would still affect us quite badly.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Not sure Milner is that much of a negative. He pulled up some very good offensive stats when playing there. A left footer would no doubt be preferable - but i think quality is the most important factor.
No he's not terrible at all, but I personally see a difference between him and Robertson.. The drop to then say Gomez is even bigger.

The fact Robertson can whip a cross at full stride first time with his left v's Milner who has to check inside even if that takes 30 seconds - Marginal gains but still I think this is a huge part of why our attack is so dam hard to defend against.. Trent does the same on the other side.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
As a bit of a left field thought for the LB conundrum would Harry Wilson actually be an option against weaker teams? Can spray the ball around, left footed, might be weaker defensively than Robertson but against weak teams that shouldn't harm us to bad. Against stronger teams Gomez is still an option. Wilson has a real good left foot for distributing the ball and crosses.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
No he's not terrible at all, but I personally see a difference between him and Robertson.. The drop to then say Gomez is even bigger.

The fact Robertson can whip a cross at full stride first time with his left v's Milner who has to check inside even if that takes 30 seconds - Marginal gains but still I think this is a huge part of why our attack is so dam hard to defend against.. Trent does the same on the other side.
Sure, but just being left footed doesnt mean you can hit the ball as well as Robertson though. Gomez has never been a winger and is a bit of a duff comparison as Klopp is only playing him there if there is no other option.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
As a bit of a left field thought for the LB conundrum would Harry Wilson actually be an option against weaker teams? Can spray the ball around, left footed, might be weaker defensively than Robertson but against weak teams that shouldn't harm us to bad. Against stronger teams Gomez is still an option. Wilson has a real good left foot for distributing the ball and crosses.
Very left field and not a very good one. There are better players in the squad more deserving of a place in the team that could use that spot in the lineup if we are being that creative.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
I dont think Saka would come here unless there is a first team position he can claim as his own. I wouldnt be surprised to see City go for him.
I think Saka can easily be sold a move here. covering left back and right wing will get him plenty of minutes, champions league football and the chance to work under Klopp who is proven at turning prospects into world class players.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
I think Saka can easily be sold a move here. covering left back and right wing will get him plenty of minutes, champions league football and the chance to work under Klopp who is proven at turning prospects into world class players.
Sounds like Saka is close to agreeing a new deal at Arsenal.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Sure, but just being left footed doesnt mean you can hit the ball as well as Robertson though. Gomez has never been a winger and is a bit of a duff comparison as Klopp is only playing him there if there is no other option.
I think you are comparing apples and pears.. My point is the drop off from Robbo to Milner is big enough that we need a better back up for left back, the next player in line seems Gomez, and the drop off to him is huge.

So to summarise we need a proper back up to Robertson, not Milner.. Ironically a left footed Williams, who I've never seen play left back (so may be giving him a disservice).

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Very left field and not a very good one. There are better players in the squad more deserving of a place in the team that could use that spot in the lineup if we are being that creative.
Got to remember why Klopps full backs are so unique, he basically plays them more like playmakers with defensive responsibilities. They don't play like traditional full backs or attacking wing backs, they're more about creating for others than attacking for themselves like the wing back stereotypes. Wilson actually has the right qualities on the ball, you could make the same claims for Ox and Shaqiri too I guess but Ox has a role within the squad I'm not sure we need to change things with him. Shaqiri or Wilson could in theory start adding more defensive ability to their game and become options in at least those games when there isn't much for them to defend against. Wilson is still young enough to learn new instructions and adapt. Don't think its likely but if we needed to make do with what we had for a year then in games we are facing opposition with 10 men behind the ball I wouldn't mind seeing one of them as an attacking option. It would make more sense than using Gomez there against such sides or if Milner is fatigued and not able to play with enough energy.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.

Need? Nah. A left footer is ideal but only if they have the other qualities to go with it.

Milner and Gomez aren't a problem at left back primarily because they're right footed, and we can tell this because the same things happen when the play right back.

A player like Williams who has genuine attacking quality would be more of a threat than some bang average left footers.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I think you are comparing apples and pears.. My point is the drop off from Robbo to Milner is big enough that we need a better back up for left back, the next player in line seems Gomez, and the drop off to him is huge.

So to summarise we need a proper back up to Robertson, not Milner.. Ironically a left footed Williams, who I've never seen play left back (so may be giving him a disservice).
The drop off from Robbo to Milner is not as big as you suggest - and as i said earlier Gomez is a heavily right footed defensive player who has been asked to do a job for a game or two. Milner is a winger being played at left back because he has the work rate and leadership to be effective there when needed. Robbo was an attacking wing back before moving to Liverpool.

Klopp converted a number of wingers to become full backs at his clubs in Germany.

Sweeting

Not convinced by Saka. I watched him in detail during the Arsenal/Sheff Utd game and was underwhelmed (my analysis is in the FA Cup thread)

Worth keeping an eye on but not someone I'd be overly fussed about at this point.

He reminds me of Sheyi Ojo, but able to play at full back.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Got to remember why Klopps full backs are so unique, he basically plays them more like playmakers with defensive responsibilities. They don't play like traditional full backs or attacking wing backs, they're more about creating for others than attacking for themselves like the wing back stereotypes. Wilson actually has the right qualities on the ball, you could make the same claims for Ox and Shaqiri too I guess but Ox has a role within the squad I'm not sure we need to change things with him. Shaqiri or Wilson could in theory start adding more defensive ability to their game and become options in at least those games when there isn't much for them to defend against. Wilson is still young enough to learn new instructions and adapt. Don't think its likely but if we needed to make do with what we had for a year then in games we are facing opposition with 10 men behind the ball I wouldn't mind seeing one of them as an attacking option. It would make more sense than using Gomez there against such sides or if Milner is fatigued and not able to play with enough energy.
They do need to be able to defend though, and Wilson can't. If you just want a technical left footer then Adam Lewis is the answer, but he can't defend either. Angelino is one of the most technical full backs in the game but even Bald Pep didn't want him at City.