Who would you buy?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
They do need to be able to defend though, and Wilson can't. If you just want a technical left footer then Adam Lewis is the answer, but he can't defend either. Angelino is one of the most technical full backs in the game but even Bald Pep didn't want him at City.
As @redfanman says above Klopp has a strong record of converting wingers with limited or even no defensive capability into full backs. Even Robertson wasn't good defensively at Hull, people still lazily say it about Trent when it hasn't been true for awhile. I just wouldn't rule it out. I think a lot of the issues with Lewis is also to do with athleticism and physicality too but Wilson has played a whole season in the league fine. Keep in mind I'm only suggesting that IF he is around in the squad next season and Robertson is missing for a bit then against teams who arent going to be attacking us as much (10 behind the ball etc) it might be better for us than Gomez (overkill defensively and not as much of a help offensively) or a tiring Milner who isn't as athletic as Robertson and Wilson any more.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Got to remember why Klopps full backs are so unique, he basically plays them more like playmakers with defensive responsibilities. They don't play like traditional full backs or attacking wing backs, they're more about creating for others than attacking for themselves like the wing back stereotypes. Wilson actually has the right qualities on the ball, you could make the same claims for Ox and Shaqiri too I guess but Ox has a role within the squad I'm not sure we need to change things with him. Shaqiri or Wilson could in theory start adding more defensive ability to their game and become options in at least those games when there isn't much for them to defend against. Wilson is still young enough to learn new instructions and adapt. Don't think its likely but if we needed to make do with what we had for a year then in games we are facing opposition with 10 men behind the ball I wouldn't mind seeing one of them as an attacking option. It would make more sense than using Gomez there against such sides or if Milner is fatigued and not able to play with enough energy.
Klopp frequently converted attacking players into full backs in Germany. If there was any likelihood of him doing so with Wilson, he would have already done so, like with Larouci.

I just don't think Wilson has shown the work rate defensively or offensively to justify putting him into the side even in an emergency.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Need? Nah. A left footer is ideal but only if they have the other qualities to go with it.

Milner and Gomez aren't a problem at left back primarily because they're right footed, and we can tell this because the same things happen when the play right back.

A player like Williams who has genuine attacking quality would be more of a threat than some bang average left footers.
Fair enough, my only point is mainly about the first time hit which you get naturally from a left footer, but yes Williams (in the limited minutes I've seen) seems more attacking than Trent..

The drop off from Robbo to Milner is not as big as you suggest - and as i said earlier Gomez is a heavily right footed defensive player who has been asked to do a job for a game or two. Milner is a winger being played at left back because he has the work rate and leadership to be effective there when needed. Robbo was an attacking wing back before moving to Liverpool.

Klopp converted a number of wingers to become full backs at his clubs in Germany.
Well thats kind of my point, the offensive part is huge in our fullbacks all round game. Just differing of opinion, my main concern is losing Robbo for a sustained period I think our form is affected - It's absorbable over 1 or 2 games, but not over a long period.

Maybe we should just go out and by Davies from Munich, and have the two best left backs in the world? :)

rab

This is why I think Saka makes so much sense. He can play all up the left hand side and has even played through the middle. He only has a year left on his contract and I think he’d really develop under Klopp.

Every time I’ve seen him he’s looked like a Ryan Sessegnon who isn’t actually a bit shit.

If we just got him and called it a day I’d be delighted.
He's ideal but im not sure we could get him here without him kicking up a fuss and even then I think Arsenal might decide to make him sit out his contract in the hope they could get him to sign an extension in the next twelve months.

Cost wise i'd imagine them wanting £30m-£40m for him and im not sure we'd go that big for a player with such little first team football at this stage.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
I just don't think Wilson has shown the work rate defensively or offensively to justify putting him into the side even in an emergency.
Yeah, I think we know everything we need to know about Wilson after two loan spells. He is mercurial AM with a wand of a left foot, able to pull a rabbit out of the hat, but lacking physicality and work rate, and with a tendency to go missing in games.

I see him a good player for a lower half premier league club, the sort who will rely on set pieces and build a hard working team around him, rather than expect him to graft.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Cost wise i'd imagine them wanting £30m-£40m for him and im not sure we'd go that big for a player with such little first team football at this stage.
Yes, but I’m reasonably sure Arsenal would end up putting the decimal point in the wrong place and end up selling for £30, or something like that.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
I would use this picture to describe what I think represents our club when it comes to transfers. I think behind the scenes, Klopp and the management team are always on the lookout and scrutinizing for players who can add value to our squad. But upfront, we will never show our desperation and what we do behind the scenes. And as much as Klopp will give youths a chance, I do not believe he will hesitate to buy a player who it is the right player at the right price even if it means that it might delay the introduction to the first team of that particular youth. But he too will not hesitate to give the chance to a youth if he really cannot get the right player at the right price.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
I would be interested to see Neco Williams tried at LB. We know his quality and his attitude is very LFC. Seemes to enjoy cutting in from the right which suggests he has confidence in his left foot. Could prove to be good back up for Trent and Robbo without spending a penny.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Angel Gomes seem set not to sign a new contract at Man Utd. Putting aside his current team, and we do have a track record of signing youth players of big clubs who do not sign contracts, is Angel Gomes a good call? Anyone who might have followed this player or saw him play? Seems he is attracting a fair bit of attention.

Dave-D

Angel Gomes seem set not to sign a new contract at Man Utd. Putting aside his current team, and we do have a track record of signing youth players of big clubs who do not sign contracts, is Angel Gomes a good call? Anyone who might have followed this player or saw him play? Seems he is attracting a fair bit of attention.
Was away to ask the same thing :LOL:

Played LW in two of his three Europa league games with the other as AM. Other than that I’ve nothing on him

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
I’m with @Anfield rd Dreamer on this one; I can see the merit in at least trying Wilson as a nominal LB against weaker teams, when he won’t have to do much defensive work anyway.
I think people have some weird ideas about playing "weaker" teams. Defending in individual moments becomes that much more important when you don't have all game to size up your opposing attacker and you're likely to have less support nearby from your teammates.

Sweeting

I expect he will go abroad. Physically he just doesn't match up currently and maybe somewhere like Germany would allow him to develop at his own pace. He peaked very early in the U18s but has been poor at 1st team level - can't influence a game against adults.

He is older than Jones, plays the same role, but isn't as talented.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
We desperately need a LB in the robbo mould.
I think if Lourci was good enough he would have been given his chance against Everton with robbo out. Klopp did it with Trent at OT a few years back. Neco Williams at LB would be interesting
He’s got seven games to look at his left back options, Larouci included.

My concern with Larouci is that every time I’ve seen him his touch doesn’t look great.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Suggested before that a move for Depay could be interesting - especially financially.

Similar to that - Julian Draxler has one year left on his contract. 26 years old. Can cover Sadio, #8 and AM. Market value €24m according to Transfermarkt - so could be available for under €30m.

On the other hand - he rejected us because of money.

Sweeting

He’s got seven games to look at his left back options, Larouci included.

My concern with Larouci is that every time I’ve seen him his touch doesn’t look great.
Yes he is a loose cannon at first team level with his touch and tackling. Doesn't really show up in youth team matches but against more experienced players it sticks out like a sore thumb.

He'll need a more gentle introduction to first team football I think.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
We desperately need a LB in the robbo mould.
I think if Lourci was good enough he would have been given his chance against Everton with robbo out. Klopp did it with Trent at OT a few years back. Neco Williams at LB would be interesting
With Larouci, Klopp may think he is good enough for a future spot, just not ready to be given a run out at this moment. I think we have to keep that in mind.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Koulibaly is most unlikely, whilst we have some exciting CB youngsters coming through in Hoever and Sepp.

Let Lovren go, bring in another Ragnar Klavan/Matip type shrewd signing, and see what the youngsters can do.

Away from CBs - I'm gonna say it again - Tod Cantwell....

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Yes he is a loose cannon at first team level with his touch and tackling. Doesn't really show up in youth team matches but against more experienced players it sticks out like a sore thumb.

He'll need a more gentle introduction to first team football I think.
Larouci reminds me of a Left Wingback version of Adama Traore. He's rough around the edges and it may take until he's 23/24 before he's fully got to grips with how to use his tremendous athleticism to best effect. Traore's become increasingly effective precisely because he doesn't always use his pace, he's added more to his game so the bursts of pace are only utilised when they're most effective. I can see Larouci following a similar developmental trajectory, hopefully Klopp and the team can help accelerate that in comparison with Traore.

Limiescouse

Not sure Milner is that much of a negative. He pulled up some very good offensive stats when playing there. A left footer would no doubt be preferable - but i think quality is the most important factor.
He personally did, but I think you can argue his tendency to cut back onto his right condensed the pitch a bit. It allows the FB to pinch in a bit and that in turn closes down space Mane likes to exploit. The season he played there as our first choice it didnt have quite the same effect as Sadio was still playing on the right then. But this is a continually evolving and incredibly versatile side. We exploit the areas we do because those specific match ups are favourable to us. One of our biggest strengths of the past few years has been being able to still create favourable match ups even when things change. Sadio is too good to be shut down for long just because his FB doesnt stretch the width as much as Robbo does.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
He personally did, but I think you can argue his tendency to cut back onto his right condensed the pitch a bit. It allows the FB to pinch in a bit and that in turn closes down space Mane likes to exploit. The season he played there as our first choice it didnt have quite the same effect as Sadio was still playing on the right then.
Also that was several years ago now. Milner is an absolute freak for being as physically capable as he still is but he isn't as capable as Robertson he just isn't the same level of athleticism and pace.

Limiescouse

Larouci reminds me of a Left Wingback version of Adama Traore. He's rough around the edges and it may take until he's 23/24 before he's fully got to grips with how to use his tremendous athleticism to best effect. Traore's become increasingly effective precisely because he doesn't always use his pace, he's added more to his game so the bursts of pace are only utilised when they're most effective. I can see Larouci following a similar developmental trajectory, hopefully Klopp and the team can help accelerate that in comparison with Traore.
Athletically gifted kids often have an under developed first touch because their athleticism has meant they have spent their junior career not being punished for it. It can be a steep learning curve at this level, but Traore is seemingly a good marker for what can happen if they commit to improving

Jah_Pool

I would be interested to see Neco Williams tried at LB. We know his quality and his attitude is very LFC. Seemes to enjoy cutting in from the right which suggests he has confidence in his left foot. Could prove to be good back up for Trent and Robbo without spending a penny.
No thanks. We are past the stage where we should be using square pegs in rounds holes. No more right footers playing left-back. We have the money, will and skill to sign the players we want, we should do that. And please no more excuses that we can't find that player bullshit that is constantly harped on here. Spurs, City, United all can sign multiple players for the same spot .....we should strengthen now, while on top, so we can take multiple trophies next season.