Who would you buy?

Jah_Pool

He’s got seven games to look at his left back options, Larouci included.

My concern with Larouci is that every time I’ve seen him his touch doesn’t look great.
It's not just his touch. Everything bout his game looks weak at the moment. He looks several years away from even being close to ready.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
No thanks. We are past the stage where we should be using square pegs in rounds holes. No more right footers playing left-back. We have the money, will and skill to sign the players we want, we should do that. And please no more excuses that we can't find that player bullshit that is constantly harped on here. Spurs, City, United all can sign multiple players for the same spot .....we should strengthen now, while on top, so we can take multiple trophies next season.
Square pegs in round holes has worked quite well for us actually.

Shame we can't have the quality of Luke Shaw or Ben Davies though, that is a real disappointment. City are famously strong at left back too.

Jah_Pool

Square pegs in round holes has worked quite well for us actually.

Shame we can't have the quality of Luke Shaw or Ben Davies though, that is a real disappointment. City are famously strong at left back too.
MIlner has come in and done a job for us but we really get little to no output from the left when Robertson isn't there. Milner has been a good servant but father time is still undefeated. Let Neco learn his craft on his dominant right foot before we think of playing him on the left. Sign another left-back, Why is this a difficult proposition is beyond me? Why handicap yourself when you don't have to.? We're talking about a backup LB here for God sake. We should strengthen while we're on top, simple.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
No thanks. We are past the stage where we should be using square pegs in rounds holes. No more right footers playing left-back. We have the money, will and skill to sign the players we want, we should do that. And please no more excuses that we can't find that player bullshit that is constantly harped on here. Spurs, City, United all can sign multiple players for the same spot .....we should strengthen now, while on top, so we can take multiple trophies next season.
I'm not so sure that we have the cash to splash. We don't know how long the game will be played behind closed doors, meaning no matchday / hospitality revenues, or how big a rebate the broadcasters might demand. Consequently it's probable that there is going to be a substantial hole in the P&L account for this season and maybe the next. Throw in the possibility that we may still have to negotiate a wage reduction with the players, and you can see why the club might be reluctant to make any substantial investments in the transfer market.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
MIlner has come in and done a job for us but we really get little to no output from the left when Robertson isn't there. Milner has been a good servant but father time is still undefeated. Let Neco learn his craft on his dominant right foot before we think of playing him on the left. Sign another left-back, Why is this a difficult proposition is beyond me? Why handicap yourself when you don't have to.? We're talking about a backup LB here for God sake. We should strengthen while we're on top, simple.
Because being left footed doesn't automatically make you better than Milner.

If you happen to be left footed and better than Milner you probably don't want to be back up to Robbo.

I find it amusing you pick 3 clubs who have spent loads on full backs and virtually all have been worse than than Milner.

Limiescouse

And please no more excuses that we can't find that player bullshit that is constantly harped on here. Spurs, City, United all can sign multiple players for the same spot .....we should strengthen now, while on top, so we can take multiple trophies next season.
Yeah, shit ones who despite that fancy their chances at nailing down a regular spot because the guy they already have is also shit.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Boring.

Imagine getting irate that Williams might play left back instead of Jamal Lewis.

Last edited:

Jah_Pool

Because being left footed doesn't automatically make you better than Milner.

If you happen to be left footed and better than Milner you probably don't want to be back up to Robbo.

I find it amusing you pick 3 clubs who have spent loads on full backs and virtually all have been worse than than Milner.
Hey, we won the league!!! Why would anyone think that we cant sign a quality back-up to Robertson right now? We need to stop with the defeatist mentality. You strengthen while on top!!! You mean to tell me we couldn't get Lewis(Norwich), or Alonso( who is to be rumoured on his way out), or etc. etc. etc......... if we wanted to. Damn!!! Also, I would think that if we wanted to further preserve MIlner's career, I would keep him in midfield, the flanks are young man's game, bombing up and down. Anyways, I'm greedy, I want us to challenge for multiple trophies next year and that means quality backups in all positions.

Limiescouse

Hey, we won the league!!! Why would anyone think that we cant sign a quality back-up to Robertson right now? We need to stop with the defeatist mentality. You strengthen while on top!!! You mean to tell me we couldn't get Lewis(Norwich), or Alonso( who is to be rumoured on his way out), or etc. etc. etc......... if we wanted to. Damn!!! Also, I would think that if we wanted to further preserve MIlner's career, I would keep him in midfield, the flanks are young man's game, bombing up and down. Anyways, I'm greedy, I want us to challenge for multiple trophies next year and that means quality backups in all positions.
Do you not see the disconnect in identifying someone deemed surplus at Chelsea as someone who can be good enough for us?

Kopstar

★★★★★★
You would have passed on Paolo Maldini then, arguably the best left back of the last 30 years?

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Williams looks to be more direct than Trent. You can see little signs that Trent is actually an ex-midfielder or central type of player (someone who tried/tries to control the game for his team). While Williams is an ex-winger. Trent relies more on intelligence, combination with others and delivery, using his "lean and hungry" type of body to repeat these little moves. Williams looks to keep it more simple in possession, but penetrate whenever he can off the ball or even attack the inside. He could be a useful little tool for us next season. Physically he looks like he can cope, good agility too. Next is for him to continue learning tactically, our principles, where to stand, when to do what, etc.

I know people are trying to be creative (and yeah, we're arguably the most creative football club out there in last years), but sometimes there's a limit what can you do with a player. Or what you don't even try! Williams at LB in maybe a lesser cup game could be worth a try, see how it goes. If he can defend well, nice. Because offensively he does display a few interesting things. Us having offensive full backs doesn't mean we can suddenly put Xherdan Shaqiri there because he's left footed. Sometimes in top games, we don't even push both full backs as high. PSG at home last season we had Robbo staying back more to protect against Mbappe, while Trent pushing on, knowing that Neymar wouldn't track back.

nikz200

Im with you here, honestly i feel we should be trying to strengthen the forward 3 and Left back positions , If Matips injury has taught us anything its also that for the rest of the season VVD and Gomez will have to start every game or else once again its Lovren and many of the fans get too uneasy whenever he plays. Its the same application for me at left back and up the front 3 spots. We don't have a player that slots in and we won't have a dramatic drop off in performance.

Ive mentioned it before, we can work with guys in teams who have struggled or teams who are newly relegated. If they fit our mindset and have the same intensity, this training staff can MOLD them to be better players. I hold the same ideaology for a player rotating with our front 3. They don't have to match the front 3 in terms of quality, but they should assure our offence stays sharp even when the front 3 are not playing. You don't need a World beater for that, just a adequate player who fits Jurgens system. The counter argument is the youth players. But i don't think Harvey Elliott is ready and Laroucci is another one we don't know for the left back spot.

Marcus Alonso is interesting, i still think the smartest moves would be Willian and jamal lewis like you said. We practically spend nothing and we get two solid rotation players to bolster the squad. These would be the smartest moves , whether they are the right moves only time will tell.

Limiescouse

I know people are trying to be creative (and yeah, we're arguably the most creative football club out there in last years), but sometimes there's a limit what can you do with a player. Or what you don't even try! Williams at LB in maybe a lesser cup game could be worth a try, see how it goes. If he can defend well, nice. Because offensively he does display a few interesting things. Us having offensive full backs doesn't mean we can suddenly put Xherdan Shaqiri there because he's left footed. Sometimes in top games, we don't even push both full backs as high. PSG at home last season we had Robbo staying back more to protect against Mbappe, while Trent pushing on, knowing that Neymar wouldn't track back.
This is very good. For all the plaudits our two get for their attacking ability, these are two players who both commit strongly defending properly and take pride in it. These are defenders who celebrate a clean sheet as much as they a creative forces.

Richard88

I'd still think we'll look to get quality cover on the cheap. For example, Willian looks set to move out of Chelsea , maybe a move on for him?

As such I'd agree , Jones is Lallana's direct replacement with the ability to play further forward. Minamino plays across the front three positions and can slot in anywhere. Wijnaldum i hope signs an extended contract failing which Grujic could still be given a chance. I'd think Klopp will work with the guys for the next year while giving the youngsters more and more chances.

Brewster, I'm not sure will fit in and we really do need an upgrade on the backup strikers. Maybe a plan B if plan A of firmino doesn't workout and the teams start playing three in the back and 2 wingbacks to nullify our front 3.
Free transfers look "cheap" on the surface, but when you're later stuck with a declining player on big wages it can really eat into your transfer and wage budget.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Its not as black and white as left foot v right foot. Some players are stronger on their "weaker" foot than other players are on their "stronger" foot. He has done some things with his left foot that are quite promising (shot/passed) so there is potential that he could be effective on his "weaker" foot. He could even be so good on the left he could be considered ambidextrous we just don't know yet.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Jetro Willems could be a good back-up. He played for Newcastle before he was injured this year still under contract for one more year by Frankfurt, could come in cheap and can play a bit.

Sweeting

There is a good reason he is on his way out.

His goals covered up his defensive Houdini act... and now he doesn't score goals.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Free transfers look "cheap" on the surface, but when you're later stuck with a declining player on big wages it can really eat into your transfer and wage budget.
Agree, But there have been cases when they worked too. Milner and Matip. And the wage increase can be accomodated by ensuring that you sell him for a reasonable amount. It's a lot like balancing the books. There are free transfers which have worked and then there are the ones like Joe Cole etc which have failed. Our scouting team is clearly better than before and if we get value on a free and the said footballer still has enough legs. No reason why free transfers won't work

Last edited:

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
There is a good reason he is on his way out.

His goals covered up his defensive Houdini act... and now he doesn't score goals.
I had lost track of him during his career, remember when he was younger thinking "oh another Alonso maybe we should look to sig....oh no... never mind.... awful" then few years later he showed up at Chelsea I was so confused.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Agree, But there have been cases when they worked too. Milner and Matip. And the wage increase can be accomodated by ensuring that you sell him for a reasonable amount. It's a lot like balancing the books. There are free transfers which have worked and then there are the ones like Joe Cole etc which have failed. Our scouting team is clearly better than before and if we get value on a free and the said footballer still has enough legs. No reason why free transfers won't work
And free transfers don't really distort the wages either as they're not given a salary that's out of line with their place in the pecking order. Instead they benefit from slightly higher signing fees paid in instalments over the length of their contract.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
We did not splash unnecessary cash to reach the top of english, European and world football. Why would anyone think we need to do so to stay on top? And even if we do, why does strengthen from a position of strength always mean to some people buying expensive flavour of the week? What do you think we were doing with Minamino? What do you think we doing when we spent tons to renew long contracts for key players? What do you think we are doing when we slowly introduce potential youth players? Why would anyone think that Klopp and the management team has no idea what they are planning regarding the squad?

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Because quality left backs are extremely tough to come by. The ease at which robbo has settled and made the left back spot his own is probably an outlier. Which left back of recognized quality would want to come knowing that he'd struggle for game time because Robbo would be the first choice LB. You're either going to have to go for a lesser quality or rely on the youth academy to back us up.

In an ideal world , I'd have 2 quality Lb's and Milner being the third option so that Robbo can be given a rest from time to time. But would someone like Jamal Lewis (who's just 22) join Liverpool knowing his gametime is going to be restricted ?

Chrenyan

Now that Leroy Sane has - as had long been rumoured - moved to Bayern Munich, I wonder if that makes a certain Kingsley Coman available. He would be an excellent option to Sadio Mane, especially should the timing of the Africa Cup of Nations ever clash with the Premier League...