Who would you buy?

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
With news of Lyon in financial difficulty due to season ending early and thus not qualifying for Europe sprouting up again, they might be forced to sell some of their stars. I am always interested in Dembele as I think he has the style to play in our front 3, and probably still be willing to rotate and bid his time in the squad. Good age and scoring record. Would probably cost as much as Werner in normal times but current pandemic and the supposed financial difficulty, a price of below 40 mil might be worth it. Am sure there are more desperate teams than us, but I would think he is a player to buy if it represents value in current times.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
With news of Lyon in financial difficulty due to season ending early and thus not qualifying for Europe sprouting up again, they might be forced to sell some of their stars. I am always interested in Dembele as I think he has the style to play in our front 3, and probably still be willing to rotate and bid his time in the squad. Good age and scoring record. Would probably cost as much as Werner in normal times but current pandemic and the supposed financial difficulty, a price of below 40 mil might be worth it. Am sure there are more desperate teams than us, but I would think he is a player to buy if it represents value in current times.
Not as impressed with Dembele as others. Questions around fitness and attitude. Also, i thought he is more a typical 9. Not what we really need.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Not as impressed with Dembele as others. Questions around fitness and attitude. Also, i thought he is more a typical 9. Not what we really need.
Don't really know him indepth, did not hear plenty of stories on his lack of attitude, in fact i thought he does seem to be willing to put in work defending on the field and seems to be quite hard working on top of his scoring. Granted he is not as versatile like Salah and Mane, he still has good pace and dynamic to come play on either side of the "central" striker or even as the central striker. But I also cannot claim to know him really in depth, so maybe you could be right too.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Lyon are an interesting side. Not sure what's gone wrong there, but with the talent they have they shouldn't be so low down the table.

Dembele, Depay and Auoar are obviously the big names, but the likes of Cornet and Traore could be available very cheap if they really are in financial trouble. If you could bag one of them for a Shaqiri like fee it might be worth the risk.

Malang Sarr is available on a free too. Played CB and LB for Nice. Was a big prospect a few years ago, still only 21. Will probably end up in Germany like every other young French talent.

Last edited:

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Lyon are an interesting side. Not sure what's gone wrong there, but with the talent they have they shouldn't be so low down the table.

Dembele, Depay and Auoar are obviously the big names, but the likes of Cornet and Traore could be available very cheap if they really are in financial trouble. If you could bag one of them for a Shaqiri like fee it might be worth the risk.
I wouldnt be surprised if that is something our recruitment team have in mind. Cornet and Auoar in particular have been linked with us (as have Dembele and Depay but less reliably). The only issue would be the Lyon owner's behaviour last time we tried dealing with him and our club's approach to avoid doing business a second time with those that deliberately play games. Saying that, ultimately, that deal failed it appears because of the player's camp so maybe the owner wont be putting us off future moves.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
A lot more positive sounds coming out that Gini will sign a new contract, Elliot and Van Dijk also. Which is great news.

Seems we are consolidating our core and future before looking at transfers.

You can look at it as we don't go for Auoar as between Gini and Jones (now and future) that role is fulfiled for example.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
A lot more positive sounds coming out that Gini will sign a new contract, Elliot and Van Dijk also. Which is great news.

Seems we are consolidating our core and future before looking at transfers.

You can look at it as we don't go for Auoar as between Gini and Jones (now and future) that role is fulfiled for example.
While it is great news, I cant help but feel a little bit frustrated that once new contracts are sorted and bonuses paid out we don't have much left for new players...(obviously the club can juggle things round if necessary but still the point remains).

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
While it is great news, I cant help but feel a little bit frustrated that once new contracts are sorted and bonuses paid out we don't have much left for new players...(obviously the club can juggle things round if necessary but still the point remains).
I think departures of Lallana and Clyne (plus possibly some loaned players we might have been contributing wages with) will free some room. We don't really need to add to the squad as such more replace fringe players who leave with better suited players so the likes of Lovren, Shaqiri and/or Origi would probably be on the way out before anyone comes in so thats more room too. We are allowed to increase our wage bill each season in line with FFP too. Not too worried bout the wage bill situation I think we have it under control with room to manoeuvre when needed.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
With the AFCON moved bar a left back where do we need to spend? I think we need to spend big next summer - Havertz or Sancho, would rather we saw what Jones/Elliot/Minamino etc. Can do.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
With the AFCON moved bar a left back where do we need to spend? I think we need to spend big next summer - Havertz or Sancho, would rather we saw what Jones/Elliot/Minamino etc. Can do.
It's not a question of needing to spend, or of concerns FSG couldnt find the money if it was necessary, I just prefer to see a bigger chunk of money sitting in the bank to spend should we want to. I think we rely quite a bit on sales to fill that gap with the two Manchester clubs and we may see the Covid-19 crisis weaken us more than it does them.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
It's not a question of needing to spend, or of concerns FSG couldnt find the money if it was necessary, I just prefer to see a bigger chunk of money sitting in the bank to spend should we want to. I think we rely quite a bit on sales to fill that gap with the two Manchester clubs and we may see the Covid-19 crisis weaken us more than it does them.
100% but would you rather for example lose Gini and replace him with someone who needs time to settle? Or keep him?

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
100% but would you rather for example lose Gini and replace him with someone who needs time to settle? Or keep him?
That's irrelevant, i'm not criticising the club's decisions. I'm fully on board with them. I'm just saying it would be nice to have some extra cash lying around so it's not even a question we need to ask. That is something that probably wouldnt happen for another couple of years while we get new commercial deals done and maybe the additional seating.

Red over the water

We are in a great position with the team and squad we have. The team is a great age, and talented youngsters are knocking on the door. As ever, you can tweak and improve, and to my mind the three biggest areas are adding another winger/forward, another left back, and probably another central defender too, as Lovren is past it and Matip too injury prone.

As for priorities, it stands to reason that we can do multiple things at once - improve terms for existing players and negotiate that AND look to strengthen with bringing some new players in AND look to move a couple on. I’m sure all three aspects of squad renewal and management are being worked concurrently.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
I am starting to think that both, Sancho and Havertz will leave the Bundesliga this summer for around €80m + up to €30m in add ons each.

Never believed all this 'quiet summer because of Corona theories' Window didn’t even opened and there were already big moves for Sané, Hakimi, Icardi and Werner.

Havertz and Sancho have less than two years left on their contracts.

Sancho has set his heart on a return to England. He is definitely signing for ManU if they quality for CL. Expecting him to crumble under the pressure and 'flop' and the wrong club with the wrong manager. Think he would become a ballon d'or winner under Klopp.

Leverkusen did not quality for CL - can’t see Havertz stay another year. Interestingly Bayern today confirmed that they won’t be in for him this summer.

I have the strange feeling that Real will be in for Havertz.

Danny Sarge

Feel as though its going to be a dry summer in terms of transfers for us and it feels as though certain players are slipping through the net.

Werner and Fernandes are players who were linked then moved elsewhere. Havertz looks Chelsea bound and Sancho seems destined for Old Trafford.

Sad thing is I think we're the team most these players want to join, i just see it that if we dont sign anyone then the gap between us and our rivals will close up a whole lot quicker especially if they're strengthening and we're not.

As good as a side we are and as strong as our 11 is we need to strengthen.

On a side note im absolutely gutted we never got Bruno Fernandes though, he would of been perfect in our midfield and is starting to look like a bargain, closest thing in Europe to a Kevin De Bruyne at the moment.

Dave-D

Feel as though its going to be a dry summer in terms of transfers for us and it feels as though certain players are slipping through the net.

Werner and Fernandes are players who were linked then moved elsewhere. Havertz looks Chelsea bound and Sancho seems destined for Old Trafford.

Sad thing is I think we're the team most these players want to join, i just see it that if we dont sign anyone then the gap between us and our rivals will close up a whole lot quicker especially if they're strengthening and we're not.

As good as a side we are and as strong as our 11 is we need to strengthen.

On a side note im absolutely gutted we never got Bruno Fernandes though, he would of been perfect in our midfield and is starting to look like a bargain, closest thing in Europe to a Kevin De Bruyne at the moment.
No chance Havertz joins Chelsea, ever top team in Euro are after him.

You’ve been watching to much sky sports and following to much social media if you think Fernandes is as good as KDB

Danny Sarge

No chance Havertz joins Chelsea, ever top team in Euro are after him.

You’ve been watching to much sky sports and following to much social media if you think Fernandes is as good as KDB
Never said he's as good as KDB, just the closest thing to him, KDB admittedly is in a different bracket to most players, but you'd be silly to think Fernandes isnt having an impact at present and that he wouldn't have improved our team and even then imagine the impact Klopp would have had on him.

Dave-D

Never said he's as good as KDB, just the closest thing to him, KDB admittedly is in a different bracket to most players, but you'd be silly to think Fernandes isnt having an impact at present and that he wouldn't have improved our team and even then imagine the impact Klopp would have had on him.
Very easy to have an impact in a team full of dross who couldn’t score.

MarcusBerglund

Very easy to have an impact in a team full of dross who couldn’t score.
A bit harsh, mate. I hate and despise their shit team, but it it is hard to deny that since his arrival they look like a totally different team.
In 9 league games he has scored 6 goals and assisted for 5 more. We hoped that Keita could do the same job for us, but not happening for almost 2 years.

Dave-D

A bit harsh, mate. I hate and despise their shit team, but it it is hard to deny that since his arrival they look like a totally different team.
In 9 league games he has scored 6 goals and assisted for 5 more. We hoped that Keita could do the same job for us, but not happening for almost 2 years.
He’s came in high on confidence to a team low on confidence who couldn’t score. I ain’t saying he’s crap but just because he’s made a crap Man Utd look good doesn’t mean he’d have anywhere near the same impact at Liverpool

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
They're doing completely different jobs on the pitch and if you think they are doing the same job that might be why you aren't rating some of our CMs as highly as you should. Keita is a number 8, doing the graft, part of the engine room of the team. Fernandes is a number 10 with almost no other responsibilities on the pitch than creating and scoring. He is in a completely free role.

MarcusBerglund

They're doing completely different jobs on the pitch and if you think they are doing the same job that might be why you aren't rating some of our CMs as highly as you should. Keita is a number 8, doing the graft, part of the engine room of the team. Fernandes is a number 10 with almost no other responsibilities on the pitch than creating and scoring. He is in a completely free role.
Remind me where I did not rate our midfielders?
I have written in this forum hundreds of times that midfield is the only position where we need no strengthening. Why you put words in my mouth I've never said?
And yes, Fernandes is a number 10, but he can and he also played matches as number 8 too. Here is a small comparison between both of them.

Fernandes makes more tackles, more interceptions, clearances, commits more fouls, dribbles etc. Even as a number 10 he is doing enough work defensively to suggest he works in both phases of the game. And Gini was also signed as a number 10, but soon became perfect number 8 and if necessary he can play pretty well as number 6.

Great players are capable of covering at least 2 positions, something Klopp really l;ikes about his signings. Fernades is a very good player, so he can play successfully in at least 2 positions.

Last edited:

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Remind me where I did not rate our midfielders?
I have written in this forum hundreds of times that midfield is the only position where we need no strengthening. Why you put words in my mouth I've never said?
And yes, Fernandes is a number 10, but he can and he also played matches as number 8 too. Here is a small comparison between both of them.

Fernandes makes more tackles, more interceptions, clearances, commits more fouls, dribbles etc. Even as a number 10 he is doing enough work defensively to suggest he works in both phases of the game. And Gini was also signed as a number 10, but soon became perfect number 6 and if necessary he can play pretty well as number 6.

Great players are capable of covering at least 2 positions, something Klopp really l;ikes about his signings. Fernades is a very good player, so he can play successfully in at least 2 positions.
But performance is not the same in different positions. He is assisting and scoring a lot because he is in a free role. He wouldn't be scoring and assisting as much if he was playing as a number 8 in our system. Different managers expect different jobs from players in the same position as a different manager. Even though two players can both be playing as an 8 doesn't mean they are doing the same work. Our midfields main job is to hold the shape, press, block runs, passing lanes etc etc. On the ball a lot of recycling and dragging players out of position before others get to exploit space. Theres not a lot of time and opportunity to get into the positions needed to get the assists and score the goals themselves.

MarcusBerglund

But performance is not the same in different positions. He is assisting and scoring a lot because he is in a free role. He wouldn't be scoring and assisting as much if he was playing as a number 8 in our system. Different managers expect different jobs from players in the same position as a different manager. Even though two players can both be playing as an 8 doesn't mean they are doing the same work. Our midfields main job is to hold the shape, press, block runs, passing lanes etc etc. On the ball a lot of recycling and dragging players out of position before others get to exploit space. Theres not a lot of time and opportunity to get into the positions needed to get the assists and score the goals themselves.
As I said Fernandes is a versitale player and under the right manager he can improve and play in several roles. Wijnaldum was absolutely the same example. When he signed for us people said that he can play only as a number 10 and can't see him do the right job as a number 8, but he did it. Henderson was not viewew as a player capable to fill the number 6 job, but under Klopp he became second best in the league, only behind Fabinho.

When we signed Mane everybody said that his best position is as a right winger and many fans doubted he can do it as a left winger when we signed Salah, but at the momen Sadio looks like the best lef wing in the world. Klopp promised to turn AOC into a very good central midfeidler, inspite of the fact that everybody including Wenger and Konte thought that his best position is on the left or the right side of the midfield. And I thin that Cahmbo is playing his best football in a Liverpool shirt.

And what about Milner as a left back...

It is oversimplistic to say that Fernandes can't work in Klopp's system, while there are enough examples to suggest the opposite.

Klopp can use good players in different roles in his system, mould them, improve them when they have the abilities and the necessary qualities plus mental strength.