Who would you buy?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
As I said Fernandes is a versitale player and under the right manager he can improve and play in several roles. Wijnaldum was absolutely the same example. When he signed for us people said that he can play only as a number 10 and can't see him do the right job as a number 8, but he did it. Henderson was not viewew as a player capable to fill the number 6 job, but under Klopp he became second best in the league, only behind Fabinho.

When we signed Mane everybody said that his best position is as a right winger and many fans doubted he can do it as a left winger when we signed Salah, but at the momen Sadio looks like the best lef wing in the world. Klopp promised to turn AOC into a very good central midfeidler, inspite of the fact that everybody including Wenger and Konte thought that his best position is on the left or the right side of the midfield. And I thin that Cahmbo is playing his best football in a Liverpool shirt.

And what about Milner as a left back...

It is oversimplistic to say that Fernandes can't work in Klopp's system, while there are enough examples to suggest the opposite.

Klopp can use good players in different roles in his system, mould them, improve them when they have the abilities and the necessary qualities plus mental strength.
I wasn't saying he couldn't work in the system.

You're opening was looking at his current performance. If he was playing for Klopp as a Klopp style number 8 he wouldn't be recording those numbers. He is recording those numbers because he is given free reign in their system, if Keita, Wijnaldum, Ox etc even Henderson were given that level of freedom then they've all shown ability to provide assists and goals.

Incognito

The Normal One
At the start of the season, Daniel James was the next best thing. After 3 goals in 4 games, he is yet to score. Macheda and Depay were going to be next Ronaldo and Suarez etc etc. Ole after PSG was suppose to be the next Fergie.

There's still a long way to go before Bruno actually being a successful signing. Not denying whatever happening is good from their perspective for now, but a lot can change. And very quickly.

Joe Gomez x

Very simplistic but can’t Neco just be trained to be left footed. May sound very silly but most footballers should be able to kick with both feet at this level. Can’t they just train him and get the lad practicing non stop with his left until it’s as good as his right. Greenwood for example. Would be such a benefit as he could be our left full for years to come and would save us millions.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
Very simplistic but can’t Neco just be trained to be left footed. May sound very silly but most footballers should be able to kick with both feet at this level. Can’t they just train him and get the lad practicing non stop with his left until it’s as good as his right. Greenwood for example. Would be such a benefit as he could be our left full for years to come and would save us millions.
Maybe another option is to chop his legs off and swap them around.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
His left foot is already good, but it's still not the same as being naturally left footed. His instinct will always be to take the ball on his right foot.

Still, though, Neco has far more ability than some of the names getting mentioned so I don't see why it's much of an issue anyway.

rab

If we're going to do that with him maybe we should just do it for all our players then everyone can play on either side of the pitch.

Wonder why no one has thought of this before?

Sweeting

Players who "fit the bill"

As Reddy has said Liverpool don't want to move away from the method of buying young players then I just had a quick look at young players with not long left on their contracts. Potentially some interesting players for us. I've not seen all of these play so I'm not saying any of them are actually good enough (because I don't know, and in all likelihood most of them are not anywhere close to good enough) but they might be interesting names to keep an eye on.

Contract to 2021
Potential First Team Squad
Demarai Gray, 24, LW, Leicester
: Joined Leicester over Liverpool but move hasn't worked out for him. He's quick and tricky but needs a lot of refinement in his game to make an impact at the top end of the Premier League.
Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, 24, CM, Southampton: Refused to sign a new contract at Southampton and is expected to move to Tottenham for around £30m although Everton are also considering an approach.
Ferran Torres, 20, RW, Valencia: Seems he will be moving for big money with Juventus in advanced negotiations for a €87m move likely pricing us out.
Dayot Upamecano, 21, CB, Leipzig: Likely to sign a new deal with Leipzig and leave them next year for a massive fee. Man Utd and Arsenal currently want him.
Nico Elvedi, 23, CB, Monchengladbach: Arsenal are credited with a move for the defender but has said he wants to move to a "top club". He's been one the best defenders in Bundlesliga this season and had the highest pass completion rate of anyone.
Wylan Cyprien, 25, CM, Nice: Club captain but has been transfer listed due to not signing a new contract. Scored seven times in 20 appearances in Ligue Un. Arsenal and Newcastle want him with a fee of around £15m seeming realistic.
Alexey Miranchuk, 24, AM, Lokomotiv Moscow: Lokomotiv's best player is wanted by a host of Italian clubs including AC Milan, Juventus and Firorentina. Scored two goals against Juventus in the CL group stages.
Robin Koch, 23, CB, Freiburg: Tottenham has reportedly offered £12m for the defender with West Ham and Leeds also keen.
Daichi Kamada, 23, AM, Frankfurt: Midfielder blew Arsenal away in the Europa League but his Bundesliga form hasn't been as good. Expected to sign new contract.
Maxime Lopez, 22, CM, Marseille: Liverpool tried their best to sign Lopez as a 16 year old but he opted to stay at Marseille. Has become a key midfielder for Marseille and linked with a move to Tottenham.
Ibrahim Sangare, 22, DM, Toulouse: Relegated with Toulouse this season but is being chased by Arsenal and Barcelona.
Francois Kamano, 24, LW, Bordeaux: Loosely linked with Liverpool in 2019 after a 10 goal campaign, has had an injury hit 19/20.
Pione Sisto, 25, LW, Celta Vigo: Highly rated when he moved to Celta Vigo from Denmark but has truggled to make much of an impact.
Luis Sinisterra, 21, LW, Feyenoord: 7 goals and 8 assists in all competitions this season. Linked with Atletico Madrid.

Potential "Prospect" Signings
Noa Lang, 21, LW, Ajax
: Scored a hattrick on his Ajax debut and has played well on loan at Twente.
Leo Ostigard, 20, CB, Brighton: Won Player of the Year for St Pauli on loan this season.
Giovanni Reyna, 17, AM, Dortmund: Expected to sign a long term deal at Dormund, the British born American is considered one of the brightest prospects in Germany.
Crysensio Summerville, 18, LW, Feyenoord: Linked to Barcelona and has 5 goal involvements for Feyenoord's first team.
Axel Disasi, 22, CB, Reims: Defender is heavily linked with a £12m move to Wolves or Southampton.
Kouadio Kone, 19, DM, Toulouse: Sangare's understudy is a France U19 international who is looking to move on following the club's relegation.
Loic Mbe Soh, 19, CB, PSG: Like basically every player in the PSG academy, Soh has decided to leave PSG at the earliest convenience. Started for PSG once this season but likely to move on to Bordeaux.
Faitout Maouassa, 22, LB, Rennes: Has impressed in his first full season in the Rennes squad and Man Utd are heavily linked with a move.
Sebastian Vasiliadis, 22, CM, Paderborn: Ran the most distance of any Bundesliga player this season apart from Kimmich. Linked to Monchengaldbach.
Yann Gboho, 19, AM, Rennes: Less herralded than Camavinga but made an impact on the Rennes team when he broke through this season.
Lucas Da Cunha, 19, LW, Rennes: Wanted by Dortmund but opted to stay at Rennes and is just breaking through.
Kevin Denkey, 19, CF, Nimes: Scored three times for a terrible Nimes side this season.
Riqui Puig, 20, CB, Barcelona: Likely to sign a new contract after declaring himself delighted with his first team chances.

Red over the water

I think there’s a few teams watching the Man City verdict with great interest, not just for the obvious implications of who gets European football, but also for transfers.

At a time when many of the City players, and management, were saying “Even if the ban is upheld, I will stay with this team, and if we go down to the Conference, I will stay with this team...” or words to that effect.

There were a few notable exceptions. Several very desirable players kept their mouth shut. One or two went further, and seemed to pave the way for moving on. De Bruyne is the one who comes to mind most on that, but the likes of Sterling, and others, have never been shy about taking advantage to feather their own nest either.

It is quite possible that an upheld ban will see several Man City players tear up their contracts, on the basis that the club lied and/or gave false assurances about the predicament they are in. There are very few clubs a player would want to go to after Man City, given wages, manager, and prizes you contest every year.

We are one of those clubs. Might yet be a few twists and turns, player transfer specific, in this one.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
His left foot is already good, but it's still not the same as being naturally left footed. His instinct will always be to take the ball on his right foot.

Still, though, Neco has far more ability than some of the names getting mentioned so I don't see why it's much of an issue anyway.
It was only a few minutes, but he did come on for Robbo on Sunday.

Richard88

I think there’s a few teams watching the Man City verdict with great interest, not just for the obvious implications of who gets European football, but also for transfers.

At a time when many of the City players, and management, were saying “Even if the ban is upheld, I will stay with this team, and if we go down to the Conference, I will stay with this team...” or words to that effect.

There were a few notable exceptions. Several very desirable players kept their mouth shut. One or two went further, and seemed to pave the way for moving on. De Bruyne is the one who comes to mind most on that, but the likes of Sterling, and others, have never been shy about taking advantage to feather their own nest either.

It is quite possible that an upheld ban will see several Man City players tear up their contracts, on the basis that the club lied and/or gave false assurances about the predicament they are in. There are very few clubs a player would want to go to after Man City, given wages, manager, and prizes you contest every year.

We are one of those clubs. Might yet be a few twists and turns, player transfer specific, in this one.
Which players would we realistically want from them though? The only ones I could see being worthwhile would be De Bruyne, Bernardo Silva, Sane, or one of their backup LB's. The rest of their key players are all getting up there in age (i.e. Aguero, Fernandinho, David Silva, Mahrez), and I don't think anyone here really wants Sterling back given how he left and given his terrible relationship with Joe Gomez. I'd take Laporte but he wouldn't join be backup to Van Dijk and his wages as a backup wouldn't make sense either.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Young Japanese players work really hard on developing technique. Not surprised at some of the talent coming out from there. I expect we'll continue to see more break through into the bigger leagues.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
We need a goal and Klopp doesn’t bring on Origi or Shaqiri. Hope this is a sign that we will sign and attacker.

lfc.8

Need to improve the squad. One of our main forwards still hasn't scored a league goal at home. Firmino is good, great link up play but needs to score more. However the concern is we have little behind the front three. There's a big drop off when it comes to the rest. Way too reliant. Thankfully AFCON is postponed. Midfield also needs to improve. Williams looking ok to fill in as a fullback option.

lightdrizzle

TIA Reserve Team
I really don't see us signing any players this summer, other than maybe the odd youngster to go in the youth set up.

Personally would like to see an attacker come in, but i think Klopp will be hoping that Minamino will be bed in for the start of the new season and Brewster will come back and be part of the 1st team.

Some will say its a gamble, Klopp will say he is happy with what he has, but it maybe the case with the training ground and the current situation the money just isn't available.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Some will say its a gamble, Klopp will say he is happy with what he has, but it maybe the case with the training ground and the current situation the money just isn't available.
I think it isnt as straight forward as saying the money isnt available - at the end of the day, Klopp has huge amounts of political capital with the owners. If he really wanted a player bought, i'm sure the club would somehow find the funds to make it happen.

kiwiredman

This is my serious face
My priority is for us to buy someone who can cover any one of the front 3, and an understudy to Robbo without too much of a noticeable drop off in quality/pace.

There is no denying Origi's quality (for the most part) from the bench, but for me that's it. He has been given numerous starting opportunities and hasn't taken his chances, and none of the front 3 would have the slightest concern that their positions are in danger. I have to say I was pretty gutted that we didn't buy Werner and even more so when he was signed by a team I think will be there or thereabouts next season.

While Milner is able to fill in for Robbo occasionally, I think Robbo will benefit from some healthy competition, and if he were to miss a few matches, we can't rely on Milner with our system to deliver anywhere near what we rely on Robbo for. From what I saw of Neco against Brighton (albeit only one half of football), I don't see him as an answer for cover for both sides.

Beyond those positions I do think we need to strengthen at CH. The vast majority of TIA forumites have reached the end of their tether with Lovren and besides his ability, we can guarantee he will be injured for at least a quarter of the season. The same can be said of Matip as far as injuries go. As good as he has been for as at times this season, the man is far too brittle and can't be relied on to be fit for more than 60-70% of the season.
If we were to bring in back up for this position, I would like to see someone with similar tenacity/organisation/direction as VVD.
Next would be a "lock picker" in midfield to help us against the Burnley's and Athletico's of this world. Not sure who that would be, but no doubt the scouts have a few names on their list.

JK is probably the best there is at getting the most out of players and has the ability to make a player achieve a higher level that they otherwise would have under a different manager. However, the challenge is to keep players consistently playing at that higher level for extended periods. There may be a time when we need to bring in one or two players who are 'elite level' (Mbappe etc), to ensure we are keeping ahead of the chasing pack. While it's great that JK can turn a relative unknown (such as Robbo), into world class, it is extremely difficult even for JK to do that 100% of the time.

I do hope there is some truth in the Thiago rumour as I would really like to see a big name signing and would like to see these areas strengthened with players who will provide genuine competition.

GermanRed

I can understand why Klopp did not brought on Harvey or Taki but to not bring on Origi or Shaqiri in a situation where we concede with 20 minutes to go.

An indication that they could leave or could be a 'political' sign to the owners that Klopp is not happy with his attacking options.

Incognito

The Normal One
I doubt Klopp has to indirectly communicate anything to the owners considering the personality he is. He'll never jeopardize a game just to show he doesn't have enough at his disposal to take this team further ahead.

I find it weird that we want half of our players out. Origi, Shaqs, Keita, Lovren, Adrian, Ox, Gini - we want all of them 'upgraded' and Milly and Lallana would leave/ have left. How thin our squad would look all of a sudden? Getting players who fit Klopp's criteria are not easy to come by, let alone then expecting them to be as good as there current first team players and also not expecting them to play all the time.

GermanRed

Had the feeling that Shaq will leave since the start of the season and still expect him to leave now. Unfortunately with Corona it means we won’t get as much money for him.

Shaqiri doesn’t need to be replaced or has already been replaced by Curtis and Taki.

Origis presence for me is the reason why did not sign another versatile attacker (left sided and CF) yet.

lfc.8

I think it isnt as straight forward as saying the money isnt available - at the end of the day, Klopp has huge amounts of political capital with the owners. If he really wanted a player bought, i'm sure the club would somehow find the funds to make it happen.
Yes and no for me. I have a few reservations which have long been there. Klopp is the best manager in the world. Political capital agreed. However comparatively on a net basis not a lot has been spent. The club has pulled in record revenues, the needs to improve the squad are there but the desire i'm less sure about which is striking.

The ability to spend sure, with credit lines, but the club is probably a bit risk averse. Not so sure about whether the club would back Klopp sufficiently if he wanted a player as well. Can the club make do with no signings for next season? Sure. But the chances of winning trophies reduces. The murmurs for this window are not promising. Wait and see though.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I doubt Klopp has to indirectly communicate anything to the owners considering the personality he is. He'll never jeopardize a game just to show he doesn't have enough at his disposal to take this team further ahead.

I find it weird that we want half of our players out. Origi, Shaqs, Keita, Lovren, Adrian, Ox, Gini - we want all of them 'upgraded' and Milly and Lallana would leave/ have left. How thin our squad would look all of a sudden? Getting players who fit Klopp's criteria are not easy to come by, let alone then expecting them to be as good as there current first team players and also not expecting them to play all the time.
Truth be told, Klopp wanted Lovren gone even on loan last summer and Shaqiri has been nearing the exit door for quite a while. In hindsight, Klopp would have surely taken the money reportedly offered for him by Monaco last summer (as reported by Blick, a reliable source) had he known how his season would pan out. He has already cleared the patch for Jones and Williams, he'll surely do the same for Elliott, maybe even one or two other kids.

I'd leave the rest of the squad as it is in terms of outgoings, though I'd very much like to see a proper upgrade on Origi. I honestly don't care if Brewster suddenly learns to play on the wings or Edwards unearths a left-sided Elliott we've never heard of, just get someone who is a team player with pace and self-belief. Origi will never understand his strengths, otherwise defenders would be frightened of him.