• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Who would you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Just so we’re clear, if this thread doesn’t take a rapid upturn in civility, I’ll go back through the last couple of pages and hand out some points.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
You know that it was my post about transfers, not about clubs accounting right? You talk like Klopp is your best mate and know who he wants /or does not want/ to sign and why. You are creating your own theories about what Klopp wants and doesn't want. I don't try to be Klopp's mouthpiece, because I have no idea what he really wants.

For example he criticized Mourinho for spending 100+ mln. pounds for Pogba and later he spent big too and do you remember his answer, when journos asked him?
Well, here is his answer: “Liverpool is an ambitious club and if we didn’t spend the same amount of money as others, we wouldn’t be able to compete. Everybody’s splashing the cash, so we have to do the same.” And I fully agree with his words and support his opinion. People can change and that is not a bad thing.

My first post was that the clubs spend big only when we sell any of the clubs big assets. And I just stated the facts - only difference is Coutinho was sold during the winter and as we know very well most of the big transfers happen during the summer, which is easy to understand why.

There is a smiple fact proved by club's transfer activity that we spend big only when we sell big. That is what I wanted to say and the facts prove me right.

If you can prove me wrong, don't speak about ''accountaning and other revenues'', but explain to me how many times LFC crossed the 100 mln. pounds barrier without selling a very important player before?

Once a smart man /John Adams/ said: “Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”

I know that has never happened. And speaking about accounting - last three seasons the clubs' net profit is over 170 mln. pounds.

I rally can't explain why almost 90% of the people here think that nobody must doubt and try to critical towards the owners as it is something very bad. We are not sheeps, we are grown men with different opinion.
You spectacularly miss the point.

No one gives a fucking shit. I couldn't care if John Henry took £100mil out of this club and was currently using the $100 dollar bills to snort coke out of Lindas asshole..

Here's Naby Laaad showing you why;

CymruRed

Ad-free Member
No, you are wrong, Coutinho was sold not in the summer of 2017, but in the winter transfer window of 2018.

And in the summer of 2017 LFC signed Salah /38 mln. pounds/, AOC /35 mln. pounds/ and Robertson /8 mln. pounds./. That is 81 mln. pounds spent for new players.
But at the same time in the summer of 2017 the club sold Sakho /23 mln. pounds/, Origi /6 mln. pounds loan fee from Wolfsburg/, Lucas /5 mln. pounds/, Kevin Styewart /4,5 mln. pounds/, Wisdom /2 mln. pounds/ and Sturridge /2 mln. pounds loan fee from WBA/. That makes 43 mln. pounds from sales and loans.
Net spending for 2017 is under 40 mln. pounds.

But suddenly with Cou's transfer at the start of 2018 we signed Virgil and in the summer the club added Alisson, Fabinho, Shaqiri all of them signed for around 175 mln. pounds.

But with 120 mln. pounds from Coutinho's transfer the club we also sold Solanke /20 mln. pounds/, Ward /12 mln. pounds/, Karius /2,5 mln. pounds loan fee/ and we agreed to sell Ings to Southampton /loan for 2 mln. pounds with obligation to buy next season for extra 18 mln. pounds/.

So even without Ings's fee the club spent 175 mln. pounds for new players /Virgil, Alisson, Shaqiri, Fabinho/ in 2018 and received 155 mln. pounds /for Coutinho, Slonake, Ward, Karius/ That's the simple math.

So, looks like I am perfectly right - we made our big signings only after the sale of Coutinho...
TBH mate i can't really be arsed argueing the point,or going back over numbers and fee's,at the end of the day,FSG have run the club better than anyone we could have dreamed for,given Klopp the funds to build a world class team at a fraction of the cost of our competitors,all within FFP and in a self sustainable way.

If you still think selling big to spend big is a bad thing and you only win if you spend money,then the past 5 years has been lost on you my friend.

English Champions,European Champions and World Champions all for under £100mill,how our rivals could only dream of doing that.

Last edited:

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Origi and Chamberlain have been poor this season no matter where they have played.

You can count on one hand the amount of left backs in the past 20 years we've had that are better than Milner. Probably 3.

This team is littered with players who've changed positions. Firmino isn't a number 9. Henderson couldn't play as the 6. Mane was a right winger. Milner couldn't play left back. Lallana and Wijnaldum weren't midfielders. Trent is a midfielder not a right back. Chamberlain wasn't a midfielder when we signed him.

We heard them all. Square pegs in round holes the lot of them. I don't know why there is so much resistance to players changing positions.
A good footballer is exactly that, Gerrard (and probably Suarez) could have played anywhere on the pitch as they were so damn good. I’d love to see VVD have a go at CM or number 9, he’d be boss regardless.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
When Hicks and Gillette failed miserably we were all apprehensive about the "new" owners. And personally, another American owner didnt fill me with confidence. I cannot explain why but maybe the previous incumbents, Lerner, the Glaziers had my head spinning. I didnt want unsavoury money, and shudder to think when Shinawatra was touted as an owner.........

But, since FSG took over they have delivered on promises. Anyone who doubts their credentials is really not thinking straight.

They may sell up and move on in time and whenever that happens we can look back on success achieved without financial cheating.
Makes me happy anyway.

Dave-D

According to Marca (don’t have a clue how reliable they are) Barcelona have places twelve players on transfer list.
Neto, Semedo, Firpo, Umtiti, Firpo, Rakitic, Vidal, Coutinho, Dembele, Todibo, Braithwaite, Alena and Alacantara

Dembele on a year’s loan with option to buy would be a good deal in my mind. Also would Firpo be an option at LB

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
According to Marca (don’t have a clue how reliable they are) Barcelona have places twelve players on transfer list.
Neto, Semedo, Firpo, Umtiti, Firpo, Rakitic, Vidal, Coutinho, Dembele, Todibo, Braithwaite, Alena and Alacantara

Dembele on a year’s loan with option to buy would be a good deal in my mind. Also would Firpo be an option at LB
Clearly better than a Coutinho loan (in terms of how to strengthen our squad).

But at this point taking players they don’t want or have to give away means we help them out financially.

In the past they took away our players - players we did not want to sell. Mascherano, Suarez and Coutinho.

During those times we needed Masch and Suarez - we were not able to replace them. And the Coutinho transfer was also very dirty by them.

So why should we help them get players off their wage bill or give them money so that they can buy their targets?

Dave-D

But at this point taking players they don’t want or have to give away means we help them out financially.

In the past they took away our players - players we did not want to sell. Mascherano, Suarez and Coutinho.

During those times we needed Masch and Suarez - we were not able to replace them. And the Coutinho transfer was also very dirty by them.

So why should we help them get players off their wage bill or give them money so that they can buy their targets?
How is strengthening the squad depth at Liverpool helping Barcelona.
Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

Because if Klopp and the medical team here can get to grips with Dembele (sort his health and unlock his potential finally) you'd have a future Balon D'Or contender for a fraction of the price it would usually take. Its a gamble which is why a loan first makes sense but the potential upside is huge if it worked out.

Dave-D

Because if Klopp and the medical team here can get to grips with Dembele (sort his health and unlock his potential finally) you'd have a future Balon D'Or contender for a fraction of the price it would usually take. Its a gamble which is why a loan first makes sense but the potential upside is huge if it worked out.
Would also add, if isn’t doesn’t work out you hand him back after the seasons loan knowing he isn’t good enough and you’ve still got the transfer funds in the bank to purchase a different player.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Weren't we being linked to Firpo before he moved to Barca? Attacking LB, isn't he?

With the disclaimer that I know nothing else about the player, he could be worth taking a look at.

lfc.8

Umtiti and Tobido would be the only ones I'd be interested in and even then they would only be squad depth.

Barcelona's castoffs often aren't good enough for us anymore.
Barcelona have been poorly managed from top down for a good few seasons now. While they have Messi the worlds best player and some top players beside him, they haven't done quite so well in recruitment and what they've got for what they've spent.

Wouldn't look at Umtiti at this stage. Injuries, form and somewhat a lack of professionalism casts a few shadows.

Zoran

Umtiti is a LCB, which also means you'd have to shift Virgil to the right a lot more.

Interest for him has dropped lately it seems, Lenglet has won that starting place since he came.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member

I've never understood this reasoning. The primary focus should be how good the deal is for us.

RedSeven

On the one road
I find it interesting that outside of our bubble, Liverpool are seen as the best run club in English football - probably even world football.

There is a lot to be said for being the smartest guys in the room, not necessarily the richest.
Do we need a Klopp type manager to make this strategy work though.

GaryBarlow99

Weren't we being linked to Firpo before he moved to Barca? Attacking LB, isn't he?

With the disclaimer that I know nothing else about the player, he could be worth taking a look at.
Think we were mate. Some reports said he could play CB as well as LB and it was either him or Kelly we were trying to bring in.

RedSeven

On the one road
Yes, but there are other clubs managing it too, so he isn't the only one capable of working in this set up.
The fear is that there is no one who could do what Klopp has done for us.Thankfully we don't have to think about that just yet but our biggest signing in the next few years will be who we get to replace him.I hope Edwards is already planning for when that day does come.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
The fear is that there is no one who could do what Klopp has done for us.Thankfully we don't have to think about that just yet but our biggest signing in the next few years will be who we get to replace him.I hope Edwards is already planning for when that day does come.
While it will be an exceptionally difficult job to follow, incoming managers will have greater confidence in the structure around them, than would have been the case previously.

The real issue will be the ego and talent of the incoming coach/manager. That's were the likes of Brendan and Tuchel fall down for me.

lfc.8

Klopp has done a marvelous job no question but not a lot has been spent, relatively on a net basis. Is that sustainable? Staying at the top, winning the major prizes with such a low net spend is more questionable. The club has the sixth largest revenue in the world.

Money has been spent on the stadium and training ground but will there be much for transfers. Working smart should be a prerequisite but the club needs to spend as well.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter

All of them in a swap deal for Marcelo Bielsa by order of Messi.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
You spectacularly miss the point.

No one gives a fucking shit. I couldn't care if John Henry took £100mil out of this club and was currently using the $100 dollar bills to snort coke out of Lindas asshole..

Here's Naby Laaad showing you why;

But why would he withdraw £ and then use $

Status
Not open for further replies.