Who would you buy?

big noyd

(i did find GermanRed's extensive follow-ups in the unreliable rumors thread, which is where they oughta be. but as something of an asshole myself, ted knight plays a phenomenal asshole, and i enjoy it)

wouldn't have thought of harvey barnes but it actually makes a lot of sense, except they'll probably want too much

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
I don't suppose we could persuade Wolves to enter into a swap deal: Adama Traoré (big hug from Kloppo when we played at Wolves) for Divock?
Ok, we'd probably have to chuck in the odd few £ million as a sweetener, but well worth it, in my opinion.

iftikhar

I don't suppose we could persuade Wolves to enter into a swap deal: Adama Traoré (big hug from Kloppo when we played at Wolves) for Divock?
Ok, we'd probably have to chuck in the odd few £ million as a sweetener, but well worth it, in my opinion.
Why spend £££ when you have Wilson.

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
You mean swap Divok and Wilson for Traore? We'd save a few bob, but do you think Wolves would go for it?
I certainly would.

A striker capable of scoring twenty goals a season if played weekly and one of the league’s top dead-ball experts in exchange for a speed merchant with erratic end product? Where do I sign up?

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
I certainly would.

A striker capable of scoring twenty goals a season if played weekly and one of the league’s top dead-ball experts in exchange for a speed merchant with erratic end product? Where do I sign up?
Don't you think it's a bit harsh on Divok to describe him as "a speed merchant with erratic end product"? :oops:

As for "one of the league's top dead-ball experts", no-one was talking about Trent being part of the deal. :unsure:

rab

Thinking of players we've been linked with before that have subsequently been relegated, there was that Brazilian forward João Pedro that joined Watford in January.

They had the deal sewn up the summer before but we were apparently looking to hijack the deal when he bagged about ten goals in just his few first team games for Fluminese.

Not really featured much for Watford but not exactly the environment or situation you'd drop a teenager into that early in his career and time in the country.

Plays down the middle or wide left and would be a young project to develop rather than an immediate starter. Can imagine he'd rather hang out and learn from Firmino than get booted up in the air down in the Championship.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Antonee Robinson also got a very low relegation clause, ex-bitter left back.

FGred

No. Wouldn't be a problem next season but there likely wouldn't be a lot of change the following year when all 3 of Sarr, Mane and Salah would be off to the AFCON at the same time meaning we'd lose half our attack/all our senior wingers.
We have to think about next season we don’t know what is going to happen in 2020 never mind in the following season they might have the AFCON in the summer again!

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
We have to think about next season we don’t know what is going to happen in 2020 never mind in the following season they might have the AFCON in the summer again!
Our club doesn't do short term thinking. We buy Sarr now, say we have a great season and everyone is happy, nobody is wanting to leave next summer. What do we do? Force one of the three to leave to make way for a top class wide forward? Buy a limited wide forward who would be happy to be 4th choice? Would that player then be good enough along with maybe Elliott to see us through 4 to 6 weeks without the other 3?

If Sarr was an extremely rare player and the only one available who could provide to the team what he would provide it would make the decision harder. But there are plenty out there who could be as good for us as him and not bring the problems he would.

AFCON wouldn't stop me signing players for anywhere else on the pitch but it'd stop me signing wide forwards as we only have two senior ones in the side and they both already go to it.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
What player is going to be good enough to get us through the AFCON without Mane and Salah? You can't even guarantee their fitness when it comes around. By then the likes of Jones, Elliot, Brewster, Minamino might be in a good position to contribute anyway.

Just pick the best player/deal possible if we're going to strengthen. The African factor should only come into play if there are two similar deals possible and one isn't. Picking a lesser player because they might be available for a 5 week period is a bit mental when you break it down.

Last edited:

RedSeven

On the one road
What player is going to be good enough to get us through the AFCON without Mane and Salah? You can't even guarantee their fitness when it comes around. By then the likes of Jones, Elliot, Brewster, Minamono might be in a good position to contribute anyway.

Just pick the best player/deal possible if we're going to strengthen. The African factor should only come into play if there are two similar deals possible and one isn't. Picking a lesser player because they might be available for a 5 week period is a bit mental when you break it down.
We're obviously looking for a player who is good enough to step in as cover when the other forwards are out,who doesn't mind being 4th choice(for now) and who isn't going to cost too much for a bench player.Werner fell down on the last bit.We already have 55mp kieta and 38mp Ox filling those slots,we won't be adding to that,we don't want to pay big bucks for players to sit on the bench.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
We're obviously looking for a player who is good enough to step in as cover when the other forwards are out,who doesn't mind being 4th choice(for now) and who isn't going to cost too much for a bench player.Werner fell down on the last bit.We already have 55mp kieta and 38mp Ox filling those slots,we won't be adding to that,we don't want to pay big bucks for players to sit on the bench.
Which is why Sarr is a reasonable suggestion given Watford have been relegated

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
They'll still expect a profit on the 30+ million they spent on him and that would rule us out I'd imagine.
To be honest, I thought it was closer to 20. Maybe not then.

We'll see how their finances are anyway, what they want and what they can reasonably hold out for might be two different things.

RedSeven

On the one road
Which is why Sarr is a reasonable suggestion given Watford have been relegated
I'd be pushing for Brewster to get plenty of game time above any new arrivals as he'll be going nowhere during Afcon,should be happy with being introduced to the 1st 11 over time and costs us nothing.Anyone who does come into the forward line is gonna cost under 30mp(possibly half that) which leaves us looking at untried,untested at our level and us hoping we can dig up a gem or 2.
I think Ox,Minamino,Brewster,Elliott and another will be our back up for the front line next season as i see Shaqiri and Origi leaving.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
What player is going to be good enough to get us through the AFCON without Mane and Salah? You can't even guarantee their fitness when it comes around. By then the likes of Jones, Elliot, Brewster, Minamino might be in a good position to contribute anyway.

This is a strange logic. We face a difficult challenge so why bother trying to take it in account, let's make a decision that makes that challenge harder on purpose? What is so good about Sarr that it has to be him? He's alright, in right circumstances he could be great as a signing, but hes hardly essential. Its hardly a case of no other player on the planet that we could sign could fail to match him whilst being from somewhere other than Africa. If we went for a Watford winger to bring in as a cover option I'd actually be considering Deulofeu as a potential as at lesst he is the right footed, left-winger, option I think we most need.

jim bouki

We should sign a team full of the best africans in every position. Then have them all boycott AFCON for one year to get the people in charge to move it to regularly after the season, like every other bloody international tournament. That way, we wouldn't lose our whole squad every 2 years.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
We should sign a team full of the best africans in every position. Then have them all boycott AFCON for one year to get the people in charge to move it to regularly after the season, like every other bloody international tournament. That way, we wouldn't lose our whole squad every 2 years.
Funny suggestion but you can get a ban on club games for not abiding by international availability rules.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Apparently Divock Origi
The problem with AFCON is that there are only a few countries in Africa you could reasonably player elite football in June/July. It’s just too hot.

Besides there is something parochial about Europe complaining about AFCON disrupting their seasons, when that’s the experience of lots of the globe with the World Cup.

The thing I’d sort is this nonsense about it being every two bloody years. Four year cycle in line every other tournament.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Unless they all did a reverse coutinho... Faked back injuries for their countries then magically recovered in time to play for liverpool.
Yep but at the risk of ruining your plan they still have to fly out, be assessed by their countries medical team and then fly back (if they can convince medical team they won't be available for any of the tournament, if they will be fit they stay for what games they'll make). Just ask Keita how hard it is to get off with injury. They just played him anyway.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
The Matip situation was stupid as he had already retired from international football.
It was Cameroon digging their heels in over some paper work, and more than a little childish, but the point is that if players refuse international call up, they get banned domestically. Which I think is absurd by the way.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
This is a strange logic. We face a difficult challenge so why bother trying to take it in account, let's make a decision that makes that challenge harder on purpose? What is so good about Sarr that it has to be him? He's alright, in right circumstances he could be great as a signing, but hes hardly essential. Its hardly a case of no other player on the planet that we could sign could fail to match him whilst being from somewhere other than Africa. If we went for a Watford winger to bring in as a cover option I'd actually be considering Deulofeu as a potential as at lesst he is the right footed, left-winger, option I think we most need.
I dont think the logic is strange at all. Its all about the balance between the quality of the players being considered and the risk of losing them all for a relatively short period of time over 4-5 years, and where you are willing to make trade offs.