• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Who would you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeoT

Anyone see any decent players in the 3 teams that went down that we should have a look at (Norwich, Bournmouth, Watford) ?

e.g. Deulofeu, Cantwell, Ake, ect...

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I dont think the logic is strange at all. Its all about the balance between the quality of the players being considered and the risk of losing them all for a relatively short period of time over 4-5 years, and where you are willing to make trade offs.
Yeah and I cleared that with the post he was posting directly after and seemed to be referencing;

"If Sarr was an extremely rare player and the only one available who could provide to the team what he would provide it would make the decision harder. But there are plenty out there who could be as good for us as him and not bring the problems he would."

We aren't talking about the incarnation of Messi here Sarr is a reasonably good wide forward at a young age who could still become a great player but may not.

However;
1. He seems to predominantly play on the right where we already have the most options its really a good left forward option we need.
2. If we bought a young wide forward this summer we almost certainly wouldn't buy someone for those positions next summer unless something has gone wrong so we would, almost certainly, lose half our attackers and all our wide forwards for maybe 6 weeks during what is usually a busy time.
3. There's no actual guarantee that he will be available for cheap, Watford have backing don't they? Isn't everything with this based on an assumption of his below value availability.

Personally I don't think he's a special enough option to ignore the negatives. We know our recruitment team plan further ahead than next season. Sarr would make sense for 2020/21 but not 2021/22 and would stop us bringing in a player that makes sense for both.

Zoran

Didn't know where best to post this, but since in this thread we generally talk about who to buy/sell/keep, our roster for the coming season...

I see Stuttgart have already signed two CB's. Mavropanos on loan from Arsenal and they also just paid £3.6m for another one.

Highly doubt we'd keep Nat Phillips anyway, let's see where he goes next. He's got a year left on his current deal.

roydom

TIA Reserve Team
I love to bask in the glory of our first league title in 30 years by checking out the who would you buy thread and find the equivalent to a holy war on net spend, owners, American owners, name calling, questioning of mental capacity and basically everything but the topic of the thread.

What a time to be alive!

auzziez

I think the chances are close to zero but imagine if Inter do sign Messi and then sell Martinez to us.

Sell Origi and don't loan Brewster again next season.

Salah, Mane, Bobby, Martinez, Minamino and Brewster rotating up front. Elliott for the cup games.
Henderson, Fabinho, Thiago, Gini, Milner and Jones behind them.

Geez, what a team that would be. We could go all out for all the competitions we will be into.

iftikhar

Do you guys feel that Chelsea will be a stepping stone for both Timo and Kai, before they move to bigger clubs like Munich, Barcelona, Madrid or Juventus.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
This Lionel Messi maybe.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Actually I always felt that Lyon's Moussa Dembele would be suitable for us but he will probably be too expensive for us in current climate. That is why I thought Odsonne Edouard could be a good buy considering he seems to be going the route Dembele went through and he is playing really well in Celtic now. And he will probably cost thereabouts of Dembele's price back then of 20mil pounds, maybe towards the 25 mil pounds range. But he is just one of the many examples of the many players we could buy with good quality at a lower price compared to those high profiled ones.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Not saying we should sign Jack Grealish and not sure about his actual quality + had some scandals off pitch.

But, he clearly has a 'captains aura' around him. Gives me some old school Gerrard, Beckham, Lampard feelings.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Not saying we should sign Jack Grealish and not sure about his actual quality + had some scandals off pitch.

But, he clearly has a 'captains aura' around him. Gives me some old school Gerrard, Beckham, Lampard feelings.
You've mistaken the "big bollocks here, its all about me, I've got to be the star" aura for a "captains" aura. Kane is another example. Easy to mistake Gerrard for one or the other because he had to be the guy on the pitch dragging us to what glories we did achieve. But Gerrard wasn't going out looking for it, he was that symbol because he had to be, it was thrust upon him. Like with Salah and Mane, they happen to be amazing, if one of them had been around during that time it would have been the same. Grealish is in the same category as Pogba and Kane.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
You've mistaken the "big bollocks here, its all about me, I've got to be the star" aura for a "captains" aura. Kane is another example. Easy to mistake Gerrard for one or the other because he had to be the guy on the pitch dragging us to what glories we did achieve. But Gerrard wasn't going out looking for it, he was that symbol because he had to be, it was thrust upon him. Like with Salah and Mane, they happen to be amazing, if one of them had been around during that time it would have been the same. Grealish is in the same category as Pogba and Kane.
Should have not compared him to Gerrard and the others but he clearly is not a show off like Pogba or a wannabe like Kane.

For a small club like Villa Grealish clearly has the it factor.

Could never imagine Maddison as a captain at Leicester or Alli at Spurs. Barkley at Everton would be a joke captain at a joke club.

But Grealish clearly ‚carries' his team.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Should have not compared him to Gerrard and the others but he clearly is not a show off like Pogba or a wannabe like Kane.

For a small club like Villa Grealish clearly has the it factor.

Could never imagine Maddison as a captain at Leicester or Alli at Spurs. Barkley at Everton would be a joke captain at a joke club.

But Grealish clearly ‚carries' his team.
No Grealish is their star player and a big personality. In my opinion he doesn't display any leadership at all. He's a classic match of the day player. Nothing for games on end then a big flashy razzle dazzle that shows great on the highlight reels. Gets people talking about him. He'll get his big move and he'll either do a David Bentley or an Ashley Young. He has ability but it stands out due to the lack of quality at the club hes at, at a better club he'll fade into the background.

Status
Not open for further replies.