• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Who would you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyclegs

Andy C Legs
Another tidy centre-back. Surely we want have to splash too many millions. Just as a precautionary measure as Matip missed a large chunk of the season and thank God we had Joe and Virg again pulled out all the stops to make sure he was ever-present. This is the only area which truly concerns me.

Danny_

He is already a very good player at this age. But bigger players have failed before in the Premier League and bigger players have failed before in Chelsea.
True but I just get the feeling that this guy is the real deal. The goal on 8:05 mins. OMG. Chelsea don't have him yet.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Dayot Upamecano extended his contract and has a release clause with a similar structure like the one Timo Werner had.

Means he is available for €50m next summer.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Would like to see Aubameyang upfront with Firmino behind him like he used to play when he was in Germany. Think the two of them, Aubameyang with his finishing and Firmino with his work rate and clever passes would be a sensational duo.

GaryC

If we’re looking for a forward to rotate, Ismaila Sarr from Watford could be a good prospect. I am sure Mane can help convince his mate to come over

MarcusBerglund

Looking at the relegated teams, I try to figure if there are players there that could improve us and give the squad a much needed depth. Well, clearly I am looking mainly at three positions - central defender /Lovren's deputy/, left back /Robbo's deputy/ and a versatile forward.

Norwich - Jamal Lewis and Buendia will be the obvious choices, but I also think that Ben Godfrey could turn into a very, very good central defender. He is only 22 years old, but the future looks bright for him and I think that he will get minutes for us especially with Matip's and Gomez's injyry history. Only problem is that the Canaries want more than 30 mln. pounds for him.

Watford - Adam Masina is a very interesting option for a left back in my opinion. The 26 years old Italian left back is very strong defensively and tactically he is 100% spot on. I compared him with Luke Shaw and here are their stats. Masina is making more tackles, more interceptions, more clearances, more blocks and dribblles per game. And they have played almost the same amount of minutes - Masina /1819 minutes/ and Show /1764 minutes/. Show is better offensively, but we know very well that Watford play with a very defensive set up and with the right coach Masina could improve this area of his game, especially if he is avalable for around 10 mln. pounds.

The next player I am interested from Watford is Ismaila Sarr. I think that the boy has huge potentail, still very raw in many aspects of his game, but with the right environment he will only get better. Once again the problem here is the price. I expect Watford to ask for a deal close to what Everton paid for Richarlison.

Bournemouth - looks like that roumours resurfaced that we are interetsed again in Llloyd Kelly, a player that was an option for us last summer. He can cover two positions /central defender and a left back. Looks much better as a central defender and a similar player to Gomez in that aspect/.
And that's it for me. I don't think that any of their palyers could improve LFC. Brooks is an interesting player, but I think that midfield is the only area where we have enough depth and quality at the same time and if we lose 1 or 2 players the dropp of in qualityt will be minimal. As we saw last season when we lost Fabinho for two months, while we aslo had to deal with injuries to Keita, AOC or Milner and we still looked more than solid.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I'm looking at a few scenarios with us and trying to think along the lines of both what is likely and how I think I would go on things too.

To start with departures I'm fairly confident we will see and prices I'm guessing at are Karius £4m, Lovren £11m, Phillips £4m, Clyne £0, Grujic £18m, Ejaria £5m, Wilson £18m, Shaqiri £22m, Lallana £0, Ojo £5m and Awoniyi £5m. Hard to really be sure on prices and some will be higher some lower but I think £92m roughly on those isn’t too outrageous when you look at how many are likely to leave.

A few more surprising departures I'm actually starting to think we may see are Adrian £4m, Wijnaldum £30m, Milner £0, Jones loan to prem side, Origi £25m, Brewster loan to prem side. But none of these may happen just if they do thats what/how I expect it to happen. That could add anywhere up to another £59m incoming if all actually did happen (which I think its unlikely they all would).

Ironically even if all the above where to happen I'm not sure our incoming plans would change much either way.

Keeper we would need a second choice if both Karius and Adrian would happen, I'm not sure who and a quite frankly extreme situation needs to happen for this to be needed. Its possible but I'm just not going to think and suggest much on it. Although maybe Sergio Rico could be an option? Had a torrid time in recent seasons and Sevilla seem hell bent on loaning him out till someone buys him, right style of keeper and only 12 months left on deal once his PSG loan ends but not sure if they have an option to buy.

CB I feel I may have been suckered in but I think this Kabak kid is coming in for around £20m and may be the last CB we need to buy for years.

LB see two options of LBs that play like we need someone to and could be options higher up the pitch too, both probably available this summer somewhere between £15-25m in Tsimikas and Cucurella and both quite young too. Ryan Sessegnon is another option too but not sure I see Spurs selling him to us. Got a feeling though the recruitment team will go fetch someone for a fraction of the price eho is just breaking through and hardly known yet that will be great. But without their extensive knowledge I'll have to pick someone I know and would go for Cucurella, quite tenacious, known for a left midfielder who crosses a lot and tackles lots too but also plays LB and seems to meet our profile for fullbacks.

CM I have bought into rumours again maybe but believe Thiago is coming whether or not Wijnaldum goes this summer or Wijnaldum/someone else leaves next summer. Maybe if he comes with nobody leaving Jones may go on loan for game time. I'm guessing about £25-28m.

In attack the foundation is there with Salah, Mane, Firmino, Minamino and Elliott not going anywhere. I'm expecting Brewster or Origi to be here next year too with the other loaned (Brewster) or sold (Origi). I think we would need a recruit here. Like with LB the recruitment team may pluck a talented youngster about to make a mark like they tried to do with Dembele and Mbappe "before they were famous" but I wouldn’t know on that side so can't suggest/predict. Instead the other option I think could happen is we revisit an old target. There's a few players we wanted in the past (so we believed in their ability/potential) whose careers have gone a bit wayward now who are at big clubs that don't need them and may be looking at loans with buying options. Players like Draxler, Lemar and Dembele (Barca) all still have the potential to be special players especially under Klopp. If they joined on 12 month loans with reasonable buy options it could be a winner. We aren't committed to owning them if the loan is a bust, as they are now theyd still offer something that would help our depth a little and if they realise their potential during the loan we get a world class player at a fraction of their value. If going down this route I think Dembele has the most upside. At his top potential he could be special.

So at most that business could see us spending far less than we would recoup in sales but make us stronger in depth and set up well for future squad building without harming the main foundations of a successful side.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
I would take Lloyd Kelly. Looks like just what we need and at the right price.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
I would take L. Kelly for less than 15m, considering there is no real option/natural LB from within the youth at this moment. Seems like a tidy player too and I think would take the chance to come develop under probably the top 3 LB, if not the best, in the world. But its also up to Bournemouth as his wages might be low and they might want to keep him for the long haul, they might look to sell other players instead to reduce their wages.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I would take L. Kelly for less than 15m, considering there is no real option/natural LB from within the youth at this moment. Seems like a tidy player too and I think would take the chance to come develop under probably the top 3 LB, if not the best, in the world. But its also up to Bournemouth as his wages might be low and they might want to keep him for the long haul, they might look to sell other players instead to reduce their wages.
I would take Lloyd Kelly. Looks like just what we need and at the right price.
Have either of you seen him play?

The club didn't want to pay more than £5m for him last season, he looks no more a left back than Gomez does (but maybe he is left footed?) and he has barely played because of injuries.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Not sure Kelly is what we need at LB now as we have evolved into a side that relies on the creative output of our FBs. When we went for Kelly it seems to me he would have likely been an option (along with Hoever and VDB) at an internal replacement for Lovren when he moved on a year later. CB first and foremost and, like Gomez, the defensive emergencey FB cover option with Williams and Larouci the main and more offensive FB cover options. But Larouci never kicked on and as Kelly never came (and hardly played where he did go) he isn't ready to be the Lovren replacement which is why we seem to be getting linked to a few CBs that are a cut above that level. Guys who could, within their first season, start challenging Matip for role of third CB (which is a good thing with how much football he continues to miss). Gomez and Williams can provide something when it comes to LB cover but the failure of Larouci to step up during this season (and looks like he's now departing anyway) is whats leaving more of a hole in LB options more than the failure to land Kelly. Think we will go for a more attacking option who can play higher up the pitch as well as cover LB. Like Saka at Arsenal but maybe less focus and less established in whatever side currently owns him.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
If we look at attack, we have a lot of players, but very little quality depth.
Bobby - staying
Mo - staying
Mane - staying
Taki - staying
Origi - could be sold
Shaq - could be sold
Brewster - staying
Wilson - could be sold
Jones - staying
Elliot - staying
Woodburn - could be sold
Ojo - could be sold
Awoyini - could be sold

While selling Woodburn, Ojo and Awoyini wouldn't harm us, selling Origi, Shaq and Wilson means we loose depth what we have now.

For the sake of their career, I hope we sell Origi, Shaq and Wilson and buy 1 good player who can play across all 3 positions decently.

So Bobby, Mo, Mane, Taki, Brewster, Jones, Elliot and 1 new player.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
I’m really not sure about Lloyd Kelly. I’m not sure about any CB/LB options. Assuming that LB is just a centre back playing slightly wider seems a critical misunderstanding of the way we use that position. I get looking at a Saka or Sessegnon type, who can cover the whole flank and has attacking instincts, but I think a lad who can cover CB or LB is invariably going to be shit at one of those positions in the way we play.

gasband

Ad-free Member
Have either of you seen him play?

The club didn't want to pay more than £5m for him last season, he looks no more a left back than Gomez does (but maybe he is left footed?) and he has barely played because of injuries.
Admittedly not much. But he has played pretty well since the restart and I think he has played full 90minutes in almost all the matches after the restart. And has performed reasonably well for a team that was in trouble. I never believed that our first choice is to buy, and should be looking from within for options, and I think we have done that in most positions except in LB, we seem to be lacking a credible option. Milner has done well but he is probably a season or two from retirement, we tried Neco Williams and Gomez, does not seem to be working out well, they are better off being in the natural positions. So that is why I think compared to last year, we might be willing to pay slightly more for a solid backup to Robertson. A 10-15mil investment might be needed but even then I am not sure Bournemouth would sell. And yes being left footed helps alot considering how we play, that quick cross in, he looks a solid tackler too....

gasband

Ad-free Member
Not sure Kelly is what we need at LB now as we have evolved into a side that relies on the creative output of our FBs. When we went for Kelly it seems to me he would have likely been an option (along with Hoever and VDB) at an internal replacement for Lovren when he moved on a year later. CB first and foremost and, like Gomez, the defensive emergencey FB cover option with Williams and Larouci the main and more offensive FB cover options. But Larouci never kicked on and as Kelly never came (and hardly played where he did go) he isn't ready to be the Lovren replacement which is why we seem to be getting linked to a few CBs that are a cut above that level. Guys who could, within their first season, start challenging Matip for role of third CB (which is a good thing with how much football he continues to miss). Gomez and Williams can provide something when it comes to LB cover but the failure of Larouci to step up during this season (and looks like he's now departing anyway) is whats leaving more of a hole in LB options more than the failure to land Kelly. Think we will go for a more attacking option who can play higher up the pitch as well as cover LB. Like Saka at Arsenal but maybe less focus and less established in whatever side currently owns him.
Larouci would be the most natural option for us but there is quite alot of news coming out that he will be allowed to leave if the price is right. So not sure whether it is him who wants to leave or that Klopp does not think he can cut it.

gasband

Ad-free Member
I’m really not sure about Lloyd Kelly. I’m not sure about any CB/LB options. Assuming that LB is just a centre back playing slightly wider seems a critical misunderstanding of the way we use that position. I get looking at a Saka or Sessegnon type, who can cover the whole flank and has attacking instincts, but I think a lad who can cover CB or LB is invariably going to be shit at one of those positions in the way we play.
Lloyd Kelly actually plays more games in LB than CB when in Bristol so he is more like a LB who is seen adept at playing CB like what Eddie Howe has mentioned too. And he has done pretty well in LB albeit of course at a much lower level than the premier league. I am sure he is not the only option we can look at, but would definitely be one of those who tick a few boxes.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Larouci would be the most natural option for us but there is quite alot of news coming out that he will be allowed to leave if the price is right. So not sure whether it is him who wants to leave or that Klopp does not think he can cut it.

Think both. Unlike Williams and Jones he hasn't stepped up this season. Think he was the long term option we had in mind. Klopp, if he thinks he has a long term option within the squad, seems reluctant to buy a long term option. If he can he'll cope with what he has within the squad (like Milner being second choice this year despite his effectiveness diminishing in the role) only buying a short term stop gap measure (like a Klavan) if absolutely no other option. Now Larouci is leaving I think we will look at a long term solution if possible and make do till that option is available (this summer or next). If Larouci still looked like a potential option and was staying I doubt we'd have bought.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Lloyd Kelly actually plays more games in LB than CB when in Bristol so he is more like a LB who is seen adept at playing CB like what Eddie Howe has mentioned too. And he has done pretty well in LB albeit of course at a much lower level than the premier league. I am sure he is not the only option we can look at, but would definitely be one of those who tick a few boxes.
Different players play the same "role" differently depending on player skills and manager direction. Messi, Salah, Shaqiri, Beckham and Downing are all examples of players that have played a lot of their games at "right wing" but in reality are as different a collection of players as you are likeky to see play. Most LBs are ultra defensive, those that aren't typically get used as wing backs and are expected to attack the opposition goal a lot but have less defensive responsibility to go with it. What Klopp does with his FBs is quite rare, they are definitely FBs not wingbacks but Klopp uses them as playmakers when on the ball (as opposed to attacking options in the wing back mode). Just because a player can and has played FB elsewhere doesn't mean they can for Klopp.

gasband

Ad-free Member
we would probably have to depend on the scouting team again to pull that Robertson rabbit out of the hat again, seeing the potential and paying now what is a ridiculous undervalued price. I feel comforted that we are a club who believes in evaluation options internally and even when looking from outside, we consider all various options to ensure we maximize value. The more versatile a player is, the more likely we want to look at him as like what Klopp says, he wants to work with a small squad where everyone knows their value in the team and has a chance to play. So looking for someone who can play LB first and then as a 4th choice CB seem like a good sense compare to buying 2 backups in CB and LB. But lets see, as the club has said, we will play the patient game this window.

gasband

Ad-free Member
Different players play the same "role" differently depending on player skills and manager direction. Messi, Salah, Shaqiri, Beckham and Downing are all examples of players that have played a lot of their games at "right wing" but in reality are as different a collection of players as you are likeky to see play. Most LBs are ultra defensive, those that aren't typically get used as wing backs and are expected to attack the opposition goal a lot but have less defensive responsibility to go with it. What Klopp does with his FBs is quite rare, they are definitely FBs not wingbacks but Klopp uses them as playmakers when on the ball (as opposed to attacking options in the wing back mode). Just because a player can and has played FB elsewhere doesn't mean they can for Klopp.
Of course but players like Lloyd Kelly as with like plenty of players our scouting team is looking at, focuses alot on value and versatility and how likely they can be coached to play in the system. Even experienced players like Fabinho and Keita came in and took time to get use to our system, not to mention a young player. Specifically Lloyd Kelly looks a good potential for us, but I am only mentioning him because it making the rounds in the papers but I am sure we have many more options from the scouting team or maybe a hidden gem in our youth.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Downing? What do you mean Downing played in the right wing. More like he slept.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
...and buy 1 good player who can play across all 3 positions decently.
I see this a lot as a suggestion and its not one I agree with at all. Firmino and Salah are so ridiculously different in playing style nobody could hope to match up to both of them. Mane is probably the closest to being able to come some way to being close to both combined in one player which is part of what makes him so rare and world class. We don’t actually need cover for Firmino as we have Minamino and Mane who are probably as close as anyone not named Havertz to being able to replicate what Bobby does so spending money with covering Firmino in mind seems like a waste of resources and time. What we need is a player who can replicate at LF what Salah and Mane do wide. That way Mane can spend a significant amount of his games competing with Firmino at F9 and Salah at RF as first back up to them two without losing too much in those two positions. This would mean all 4 players would get plenty of game time.

Status
Not open for further replies.