• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Who would you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
@MarcusBerglund Godfrey and Masina are largely unknowns for me. What type of defender is Godfrey?

When it comes to left backs I think we mainly need a runner, with the right attacking instincts. Someone who takes up good positions, can overlap, use few touches, do something constructive when he receives the switch from Trent. I think we were rumoured to be interested in Guerreiro (Dortmund) a while back, who would have been a great addition.

Defensively I'm not that bothered about some flaws. Attacking flaws are more of a concern with the way we usually play. Robertson plays very high, which a replacement also probably will be asked to do unless we adjust when Robertson isn't playing. Lijnders did an interview recently where he talked about the five focus areas ahead of the 19/20 season. The involvement of the full backs in the build-up was one of those, having them less involved in that phase but instead pushing them higher up and leave more of that job to the midfielders. Maybe a Thiago hint there.

Not really a huge problem if we can't find the right player though, I think we have enough internal solutions to get by. Williams is similar to Robertson in the sense that he's a runner who can play high up, although his effectiveness with the ball on that side is an unanswered question for now, and there's also Milner. He plays the role differently, but the advantage with him is he can do the job in the build-up and switch positions with the left sided midfielder. Same with Gini, who I think is another option, albeit more for in-game changes.

Having a player who is defender first doesn't sound like something we want there, as we then could compromise both the effectiveness of Trent switching the play and the ability to build the attacks.

MarcusBerglund

@MarcusBerglund Godfrey and Masina are largely unknowns for me. What type of defender is Godfrey?

When it comes to left backs I think we mainly need a runner, with the right attacking instincts. Someone who takes up good positions, can overlap, use few touches, do something constructive when he receives the switch from Trent. I think we were rumoured to be interested in Guerreiro (Dortmund) a while back, who would have been a great addition.

Defensively I'm not that bothered about some flaws. Attacking flaws are more of a concern with the way we usually play. Robertson plays very high, which a replacement also probably will be asked to do unless we adjust when Robertson isn't playing. Lijnders did an interview recently where he talked about the five focus areas ahead of the 19/20 season. The involvement of the full backs in the build-up was one of those, having them less involved in that phase but instead pushing them higher up and leave more of that job to the midfielders. Maybe a Thiago hint there.

Not really a huge problem if we can't find the right player though, I think we have enough internal solutions to get by. Williams is similar to Robertson in the sense that he's a runner who can play high up, although his effectiveness with the ball on that side is an unanswered question for now, and there's also Milner. He plays the role differently, but the advantage with him is he can do the job in the build-up and switch positions with the left sided midfielder. Same with Gini, who I think is another option, albeit more for in-game changes.

Having a player who is defender first doesn't sound like something we want there, as we then could compromise both the effectiveness of Trent switching the play and the ability to build the attacks.
Godfrey is a very interesting player. He is not very tall for a defender /183 cm./, but he is very fast and physically strong. Good with the ball at his feet and his positioning is also pretty good for such a young guy. Actually Norwich are full of young promising well educated footballers /Aarons, Lewis, Cantwell, Buendia, Idah/ playing a decent attacking football.

Their central defenders are taught to pass the ball /not to hoof it like Burnley's guys for example/ and in this clip you can see that Godfrey has no problems to carry out the ball from defence and start attacks.

According to Sky - Dortmund and RB Leipzig are very interested in him and these German teams know very well where they can gat talent and quality. Mourinho's Spurs and Arsenal are other teams interested in him. And we know very well that the Portugese manager knows a thing or two about defendeing and defenders.

Red over the water

Depay is an upgrade on Origi and covers the front three at a high level, presumably for a good price. Would be good business. Would see plenty of action.

Depay, Thiago, Kabak. Job’s a good ‘un.

Sales of fringe players keeps the overall spend low, but team Is strengthened.

I‘ve been thinking about left back, but having seen the emergence of Neco Williams, I think he can be groomed to cover both full backs.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Of course but players like Lloyd Kelly as with like plenty of players our scouting team is looking at, focuses alot on value and versatility and how likely they can be coached to play in the system. Even experienced players like Fabinho and Keita came in and took time to get use to our system, not to mention a young player. Specifically Lloyd Kelly looks a good potential for us, but I am only mentioning him because it making the rounds in the papers but I am sure we have many more options from the scouting team or maybe a hidden gem in our youth.
What I mean is that to be considered a CB as well as LB, suggests Kelly’s instincts are predominantly defensive. Our full backs need to be attackers and playmakers first, and defenders second.

If Kelly can bomb forward at speed and whip an accurate cross in, then great. but not many centre backs have that in their locker.

Limiescouse

I‘ve been thinking about left back, but having seen the emergence of Neco Williams, I think he can be groomed to cover both full backs.
The biggest downside is he still of an age where even if he is doing well he's likely going to need spells out of the side to emotionally and mentally recover.

Think back to 2017-18 when Trent first really established himself. Like Williams this season, he made a handful of appearances the year before and did well enough that suggest he was an option we could rely on the following year. Clyne got injured in pre-season and so rather than being an option he become the first choice and justified the faith Klopp had put in him. Yet he was still pulled out of the team on the regular, often associated with having been given a torrid time defensively. I think he played about 20 league games that first full season. He is undoubtedly a better talent than Williams and its incredibly unlikely that even if Neco does an extended run he does quite as well as Trent did. So, imagine Robbo goes down first game of the season and Williams steps up. You'd think we'd still have to find 20 or so games from someone else to play there. Hopefully Millie stays fit enough and the midfield copes well enough that under those circumstances we can get him to concentrate on playing LB and recovering well enough to play as needed.

Richard88

Depay is an upgrade on Origi and covers the front three at a high level, presumably for a good price. Would be good business. Would see plenty of action.

Depay, Thiago, Kabak. Job’s a good ‘un.

I'm onboard with those 3 signings.

------------------- Allison ----------------------
------------------- Adrian ----------------------
------------------ Lonergan --------------------
--------------------------------------------------
Trent ------ Gomez --- Van Dijk -- Robertson
Neco ------ Kabak ---- Matip -------- LB ----
Hoever --- Vd Berg ----------------------------
---------------------------------------------------
----------------- Henderson --------------------
------------------- Fabinho ---------------------
--------- Thiago ----------- Wijnaldum --------
---------- Keita ---------------- Ox -------------
--------- Jones -------------- Milner -----------
Salah ------------ Firmino -------------- Mané
Elliott ----------- Minamino ------------ Depay
------------------- Brewster --------------------

In: Kabak, Thiago, Depay, LB (Larouci replacement)
Out: Karius; Lovren, Phillips; Clyne, Larouci; Grujic, Chirivella, Lallana, Kane; Wilson, Shaqiri, Woodburn, Origi, Ojo, Awoniyi.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Without Corona we would have been able to raise up to £100m for Shaqiri, Grujic, Wilson and Origi if at least three of them would sign for English teams.

Now it’s probably less than £80m and that sucks.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Without Corona we would have been able to raise up to £100m for Shaqiri, Grujic, Wilson and Origi if at least three of them would sign for English teams.

I dont think that makes much difference, more important is whether clubs will now want to buy these players, or they themselves want to leave

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

Any effect on prices in the market that affects our sales would also likely affect any purchases we make too. What we don't want to do is sell in a decreased market then wait till pricing returns to normal a year later to make our purchases.

GaryBarlow99

I'm onboard with those 3 signings.

------------------- Allison ----------------------
------------------- Adrian ----------------------
------------------ Lonergan --------------------
--------------------------------------------------
Trent ------ Gomez --- Van Dijk -- Robertson
Neco ------ Kabak ---- Matip -------- LB ----
Hoever --- Vd Berg ----------------------------
----------------- Henderson --------------------
------------------- Fabinho ---------------------
--------- Thiago ----------- Wijnaldum --------
---------- Keita ---------------- Ox -------------
--------- Jones -------------- Milner -----------
Salah ------------ Firmino -------------- Mané
Elliott ----------- Minamino ------------ Depay
------------------- Brewster --------------------

In: Kabak, Thiago, Depay, LB (Larouci replacement)
Out: Karius; Lovren, Phillips; Clyne, Larouci; Grujic, Chirivella, Lallana, Kane; Wilson, Shaqiri, Woodburn, Origi, Ojo, Awoniyi.
Think Lonergan is gone mate.

iftikhar

Any effect on prices in the market that affects our sales would also likely affect any purchases we make too. What we don't want to do is sell in a decreased market then wait till pricing returns to normal a year later to make our purchases.
Problem is, the values of players we intend to sell is likely to fall or at least stagnate. I mean Grujic, Wilson, Origi or Shaqiri aren't going to improve, are they?

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Problem is, the values of players we intend to sell is likely to fall or at least stagnate. I mean Grujic, Wilson, Origi or Shaqiri aren't going to improve, are they?
I think there is a good chance three of them do.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
I think Origi will be more productive in a different system. Not sure about the other two. Has Grujic improved much in two seasons at Germany?
General consensus seems to be yes he has, but I haven’t seen much of him to be fair.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
They may be a bit cheaper than expected this season, if they're under long term contract and the market may have returned to normal the prices next year might be roughly the same. But think in all reality it'll be hard to keep ownership of some of these past this summer. But if we are selling them in this market we need to be buying any replacements in this market. Selling in this market and buying in a normalised market is the worst way of doing it.

lightdrizzle

TIA Reserve Team
They may be a bit cheaper than expected this season, if they're under long term contract and the market may have returned to normal the prices next year might be roughly the same. But think in all reality it'll be hard to keep ownership of some of these past this summer. But if we are selling them in this market we need to be buying any replacements in this market. Selling in this market and buying in a normalised market is the worst way of doing it.
Spot on that.

The only thing i would say with that, the players were selling were happy to sell, the players were looking to buy the clubs are not always happy to sell.

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
Because Ive got too much time on my hands atm, I've decided to do a summary of the squad and point out areas I think we need to strengthen.

Right back: Trent, Williams, Gomez, Millie x2 (With Williams looking really good, I think were hopefully sorted at right back for years to come.)
Centre back: VVD, Gomez, Matip, Fab x3 ( Ideally one more CB would be nice but I would have no worries having to play Fab at the back for a few games if needed.)
Left back: Robbo, Millie x1 (An area were a bit bare bones at. Millie can do a job there but its not ideal as we lose something from our attack if we have a right footer over there.)
Defensive mid: Fab, Hendo, Gini x3 (Sorted)
Centre Mid: Hendo, Gini, Keita, Ox, Millie, Jones x6 (Sorted)
Left wing:
Mane, Origi x1 (Bare bones here, big drop off if in our style of play if we lose mane)
Right wing: Salah, Mane, Ox, Elliot x2 (Were okish here but not ideal as an injury to Salah would leave us fucked. Mane can play there without a drop off but then were bare at left wing so not an ideal solution.)
Centre forward: Bobby, Salah, Origi, Mane x1 (We have options here without Bobby but taking a winger to fill in then leaves us short on the wings.)

Summary: Need cover for left back, left wing. Centre forward and centre back would be nice to haves. We could cover all 4 positions with 2 players if we get a versatile forward who could cover the front lads and a versatile left footer left back/centre back ( like that lloyd lad we wanted last year). If we were going for just 1 lad I'd love to see a player who could cover left back and left wing as I think we could shift players around easily to accommodate that if needed, without a drop off in quality or style of play.

CymruRed

Ad-free Member
Because Ive got too much time on my hands atm, I've decided to do a summary of the squad and point out areas I think we need to strengthen.

Right back: Trent, Williams, Gomez, Millie x2 (With Williams looking really good, I think were hopefully sorted at right back for years to come.)
Centre back: VVD, Gomez, Matip, Fab x3 ( Ideally one more CB would be nice but I would have no worries having to play Fab at the back for a few games if needed.)
Left back: Robbo, Millie x1 (An area were a bit bare bones at. Millie can do a job there but its not ideal as we lose something from our attack if we have a right footer over there.)
Centre Mid: Hendo, Gini, Keita, Ox, Millie, Jones x6 (Sorted)
Left wing:
Mane, Origi x1 (Bare bones here, big drop off if in our style of play if we lose mane)
Right wing: Salah, Mane, Ox, Elliot x2 (Were okish here but not ideal as an injury to Salah would leave us fucked. Mane can play there without a drop off but then were bare at left wing so not an ideal solution.)
Centre forward: Bobby, Salah, Origi, Mane x1 (We have options here without Bobby but taking a winger to fill in then leaves us short on the wings.)

Summary: Need cover for left back, left wing. Centre forward and centre back would be nice to haves. We could cover all 4 positions with 2 players if we get a versatile forward who could cover the front lads and a versatile left footer left back/centre back ( like that lloyd lad we wanted last year). If we were going for just 1 lad I'd love to see a player who could cover left back and left wing as I think we could shift players around easily to accommodate that if needed, without a drop off in quality or style of play.
I agree with this but you might need a slight edit with Nico Williams potentially being used/tested out at LB a bit more next season,plus you've missed out Taki Minamino.

Joe Gomez x

Hasn’t Hoever filled in at Left Back before during pre season. Could be useful if we dony manage to get a back up.

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
I agree with this but you might need a slight edit with Nico Williams potentially being used/tested out at LB a bit more next season,plus you've missed out Taki Minamino.
Even if nico was ok at left back I would prefer a left footer over there. We deffo lose a our edge over that side when we play a right footer. I think its a bit unfair to have a young lad whos still learning being used like that too. Hes still getting used to playing right back at a senior level.

Completely forgot about mini ha. When I was looking at the options up front I knew we had a little more cover but couldnt put my finger what I was missing. I didnt mention shaq too as I think his days are numbered here but I actually think hes alright when he plays. That left side still remains a problem though, even with those 2 players taken into account.

@Joe Gomez x for me its not really a case of wanting to get someone to fill in at left back, we need a left footer there or someone who doesnt need to chop back to do anything while still being able to deliver the ball with quality

@iftikhar no mate, 2 of those 4 players would play at the same time.

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
Don't we lose an edge when we play a right footer that isn't Trent at right back too?

Maybe we should try a left footer there?
Nico isnt on trents level atm but stylistically hes similar so I dont get your point. I explained why I think its the right idea but youve just said the complete opposite. Just on the wind up or can you explain why?

Flobs

FADA
I would like to see an addition here I know Jones can play there but would prefer someone 'more suited'. Do we have any youngsters that look like they could slot in there?
Yes both Hendo and Gini can do a job there but as with Jones it's not their best position (or where they are most useful).

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
I would like to see an addition here I know Jones can play there but would prefer someone 'more suited'. Do we have any youngsters that look like they could slot in there?
Yes both Hendo and Gini can do a job there but as with Jones it's not their best position (or where they are most useful).
We dont have a massive drop in quality or style of play when one of the midfielders needs to fill in somewhere else and I think with us being careful with money, squad harmony etc we prefer having versatile players anyway rather than a guy to fill in if for one specific area if a player gets injured. The way we operate we obviously need very similar style players for some areas but we can def have hendo or gini fill in at DM without much of a drop. I dont think jones could consistently play there at a top level or it would even be fair to ask him to. I was going more by who had played senior football for is in which positions

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Nico isnt on trents level atm but stylistically hes similar so I dont get your point. I explained why I think its the right idea but youve just said the complete opposite. Just on the wind up or can you explain why?
The point is that there's far too much focus on players being right footed. That isn't the primary reason we lose an edge when they play left back, it's because Robertson is an incredible player. Exactly the same thing happens when Gomez, Milner and Williams replace Trent, because Trent is the best in the game.

Henderson was world class as the 6 in the 12 or so games he played there this season and Gini is more then capable too. No need to look for another.

Jones is not at all suited and doesn't play there for the youth sides. Leighton Clarkson has been name dropped by Ljinders as a possible '6'.

Status
Not open for further replies.