• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Who would you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
What else was he going to do?!
I think people don't really understand that both parties have to agree contract extensions. I see people moan about how "free" players must be crap for their clubs to let them leave for nothing quite frequently too.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Who wants that type of character in the squad?
You mean apart from Adrian (and every back up keeper ever), Lovren, Matip, Lallana, Shaqiri, Minamino and Origi on our books for last season but didn't play much? The club just made a massive song and dance about Lallanas amazing character and how wonderful he has been off the pitch.

brush85

You mean apart from Adrian (and every back up keeper ever), Lovren, Matip, Lallana, Shaqiri, Minamino and Origi on our books for last season but didn't play much? The club just made a massive song and dance about Lallanas amazing character and how wonderful he has been off the pitch.
None if those players you mentioned are happy being back ups....other than Divock but he is a rare bird.

GK is different becsuse rotation is an impossibility.

brush85

What else was he going to do?!
If he was happy being a back up, the club offered him a deal. He could have stayed but he wanted to play more football, so he left. And good for him.

most sound players want to play a role.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
None if those players you mentioned are happy being back ups....other than Divock but he is a rare bird.

GK is different becsuse rotation is an impossibility.
Sorry how do you know they aren't happy? Do you think Adrian and Minamino thought they be starting week in week out when they signed? Everyone else has been in that situation multiple seasons, Divock even signed a contract extension in that time.

There seems to be a widely accepted myth that all footballers need to see a starting spot for themselves now or soon when they sign. And that any that don't but are still willing to sign are bad characters. Its a squad game and every team on the planet needs these players. There isn't such thing as starting 11s anymore. Looking at the amount of playing time players get your most used 11 is very rarely that teams "starting 11" in most people's eyes.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
If he was happy being a back up, the club offered him a deal. He could have stayed but he wanted to play more football, so he left. And good for him.

most sound players want to play a role.
It did? On what terms?

Sweeting

Who wants that type of character in the squad?

People talk about Lallana but he was grinding to stay fit and ultimately, showed how much playing means to him by leaving. You want players in your squad who will fight to play every minute possible.
You want a mix of characters, not 25 men demanding they start regularly.

A good footballer, who is perfectly capable of fitting into the first team squad when called upon but is otherwise contented with not starting is worth his weight in gold.

We didn't hear a peep out of our squad players regarding lack of playing time this season. Lallana started eight league games in three years. Minamino played less than 500 minutes (less than Elliott), Matip and Lovren only managed about 1000 minutes each but not one of them has complained.

Yes, you don't want footballers who are actively avoiding trying to play but that's not what I said. Many players will acknowledge the benefits of training daily with some of the best players in the world whilst also not having the stress of being a first choice player - which is extremely stressful.

Would you rather work for a small company where you do the majority of the work, get praised when you do well but if anything goes wrong then it's almost always put on you and you know that whatever you do the realistic scope for growth is minimal - or would rather leave that company and join a much bigger one where you can be paid more and have a more peaceful existence because they have many other talented professionals around you and you don't have to do as much work? For a professional footballer that's all football is - a job.

Zoran

I hadn't watched Hull at all really but I remember a few posters saying he was an excellent crosser of the ball and had good pace. @Zoran was one of them iirc.
Yeah, you could see his technique, how he could pull quality crosses from pretty deep positions. You could also immediately see it with Trippier at Burnley. The combination of swerve & power he could generate from deep areas was pretty impressive.

Just saw that Caner Erkin's contract expired at Besiktas. He's 31 now. Had a look at his stats from last season, 4 goals and 13 assists in 37 games. Played a bit higher up, too. Most probably nowhere near the level for us, but just throwing this one here in case someone knows more about his situation.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Just putting this out for another discussion - Michy Batshuayi. Contract ending next year and I am sure Chelsea will let him go for less than 15mil or even 10mil. I remembered he had decent pace, strong and had good spells in the beginning of his career in France and Belgian. Even when as a Chelsea player, he had pretty decent spells on loan in Dortmund and Crystal Palace. But at 26, his career seems to be going nowhere. Maybe similar to his Belgian counterpart, our very own Origi, a good player but just somehow struggles to make a starting position at a very top club. What do you all think? Does he have the attitude and aptitude for Klopp and team to work magic with, to maximize the potential or is he just like alot of players who might be good but will end up as a journeyman of sorts?

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
The last two seasons would suggest we don't need one.

But I doubt anyone would be unhappy at a better option there, especially a left footer who could play in the midfield or on the wing too. Sounds like a good idea to me.

It's just not as easy to get right. Look at some of the names on here, the likes of Masina and Lewis? Shite, a massive step down and would never offer what Robertson does.

Phillip Max is a good shout but would presumably be extremely expensive for a back up left back. Saka? Yeah possibly would have been a good option, yet Arteta started a right footer ahead of him at LWB yesterday. Mcneil? Another potentially very good option, but also very expensive again and would possibly be a poor defender at the back.

There just aren't loads of players out there available who suit the brief. What names would you suggest?
I wouldn't be concentrating on trying to find someone similar to Robertson, I'd be trying to find a 17-19 yr old who is a big upgrade on Larouci to slot into the 23s. Pull some Dutch kid out of a hat like they did with Hoever. Not an easy ask, but it's the one position that seems to be lacking in the youth sides (I don't watch the youth teams...just going off how the youth prospects are talked about).

Retro Helix

Just putting this out for another discussion - Michy Batshuayi. Contract ending next year and I am sure Chelsea will let him go for less than 15mil or even 10mil. I remembered he had decent pace, strong and had good spells in the beginning of his career in France and Belgian. Even when as a Chelsea player, he had pretty decent spells on loan in Dortmund and Crystal Palace. But at 26, his career seems to be going nowhere. Maybe similar to his Belgian counterpart, our very own Origi, a good player but just somehow struggles to make a starting position at a very top club. What do you all think? Does he have the attitude and aptitude for Klopp and team to work magic with, to maximize the potential or is he just like alot of players who might be good but will end up as a journeyman of sorts?
Wouldn't be an upgrade to Origi in my opinion. He might get the odd goal here and there but doesn't offer anything in terms of creativity, aerial ability and cannot win the ball back to save his life.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial

Left footed winger...

Hasn't made appearance for Barca yet, but they may be forced to sell (can't see anyone paying for Coutinho/Dembele). Might be worth a look. I know nothing about him other than @ILLOK desperately wants more left footers in the team ;).

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Few links today with us going for Sarr. Interesting player.. We do love a player who ripped us appart.. Mane did ok.

Flobs

FADA
What good spells in France? He was fucking shite!

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
What good spells in France? He was fucking shite!
Scoring 33 goals in 75 games as a 20/21 year old is not being shite.

But I agree with Retro Helix, he is not any better than Origi, maybe even worse, looks like a good fit for some weaker leagues or lower league teams.

Flobs

FADA
Scoring 33 goals in 75 games as a 20/21 year old is not being shite.

But I agree with Retro Helix, he is not any better than Origi, maybe even worse, looks like a good fit for some weaker leagues or lower league teams.
You obviously didn't see him play. Only Brandao scored more with his bum, hips and shoulders. Big fast and clumsy and technically not football. The last time I saw him play he came on and the 1st notable thing he did was fall flaton his face in the opposition box, i don't remember the rest of the match as I was laughing my ass off (to the annoyance of my son). :ROFLMAO:

RedSeven

On the one road
With Lallana gone and possibly Shaqiri to follow,Minamino,Jones and Elliott will get more game time.I think Origi could go as well which will hopefully mean Brewster gets a chance to show his potential for us.But with these changes,any player coming in will be competing with those squad players for positions on the bench or for time in cup games.With that in mind we won't be spending big so players like Buendia and/or Cantwell at Norwich tick all the boxes for what they'll be asked to do.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Back in January time, there were reports of us wanting to keep him but it was obvious that he wanted to move on. Similar to Emre but for different reasons, of course.
I dont recall any reports to that effect. I wouldnt be surprised if it was a bluff to help him find a new club.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
I dont recall any reports to that effect. I wouldnt be surprised if it was a bluff to help him find a new club.
I don't recall any reports either, neither did I hear anything to that effect. I'd be very surprised if we offered him an extension except on anything other than considerably reduced terms, if at all.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
You want a mix of characters, not 25 men demanding they start regularly.

A good footballer, who is perfectly capable of fitting into the first team squad when called upon but is otherwise contented with not starting is worth his weight in gold.

We didn't hear a peep out of our squad players regarding lack of playing time this season. Lallana started eight league games in three years. Minamino played less than 500 minutes (less than Elliott), Matip and Lovren only managed about 1000 minutes each but not one of them has complained.

Yes, you don't want footballers who are actively avoiding trying to play but that's not what I said. Many players will acknowledge the benefits of training daily with some of the best players in the world whilst also not having the stress of being a first choice player - which is extremely stressful.

Would you rather work for a small company where you do the majority of the work, get praised when you do well but if anything goes wrong then it's almost always put on you and you know that whatever you do the realistic scope for growth is minimal - or would rather leave that company and join a much bigger one where you can be paid more and have a more peaceful existence because they have many other talented professionals around you and you don't have to do as much work? For a professional footballer that's all football is - a job.

Not so sure about the comment " not as much work to do". Training at the bigger club would most likely be harder and if you did not look good enough in training you would soon be gone.

I think Lloyd Kelly would be a good back up for Robbo. Young but has PL experience . A leftie who can play LB or CB. and should not cost a lot coming from a relegated club.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Not so sure about the comment " not as much work to do". Training at the bigger club would most likely be harder and if you did not look good enough in training you would soon be gone.

I think Lloyd Kelly would be a good back up for Robbo. Young but has PL experience . A leftie who can play LB or CB. and should not cost a lot coming from a relegated club.
If you are not playing the matches, then your work load is restricted to just the training.

Just because Kelly can play LB doesnt make him the right fit for us at LB.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I keep saying this. If Kelly can play CB as well as LB, he is probably nowhere near attack minded enough to cover Robbo.
Well Elliot plays left back in training against Mo at the mo, so I’d give him a go.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Buy:
Thiago 25
Sarr 35
Lewis 10

Sell:
Lovren 10
Wilson 20
Grujic 15
Shaqiri 15
Wages of lallana and clyne

Sounds about right? Very good window that for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.