• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Who would you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This team has broken 95 pointstwo seasons running, won a premier league title and a European Cup, and it’s still in its prime. Just saying.
This team did do those things.. but it wasn't FSG who did that - it was Klopp.. FSG control the finances and are tight, they should be spending money whilst we are at the top.. they should be respecting Kloppo

And if they've decided not to buy anyone as the right player isn't available for the right fee, like van Dijk for example, then we should trust that decision too, right?

I remember saying it was negligent not to buy a left back the season Milner played there and he was a revelation. Ultimately they knew it wasn't a long term solution but they were vindicated for waiting.

The recruitment and data teams job isn't to just buy players, it's to find the right player for the right fee. They've proven there's value in waiting for the player you want, from walking away from deals if we aren't comfortable with them and in looking at unfashionable players from unfashionable clubs and leagues. If you're that convinced of their ability and they want to wait on Thiago, shouldn't you be on board with that idea?
But how do you explain Werner? Klopp clearly wanted him, but Klopp is too respectful of the owners and the owners are not respectful enough of Klopp and didn't back him on Werner.. it's shortsightedness from FSG - our front 3 are not getting younger and Werner would have been awesome back-up and would have been great replacement already in the bag... but FSG didn't back Klopp... yeah, yeah, pandemic and finances.. but for goodness sake, youu own the champions of England - if you can't back the manager now, why are you in this game? FSG have taken LFC as far as they can!

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
This team did do those things.. but it wasn't FSG who did that - it was Klopp.. FSG control the finances and are tight, they should be spending money whilst we are at the top.. they should be respecting Kloppo
There is no evidence at all that fsg don't respect Klopp. They have supported him more than adequately when it was needed. VVD, Allisson and many others were bought for enormous amounts, we shouldn't forget that. Also, let's see how this transfer window pans out before throwing fsg to the wolves, eh?

There is no evidence at all that fsg don't respect Klopp. They have supported him more than adequately when it was needed. VVD, Allisson and many others were bought for enormous amounts, we shouldn't forget that. Also, let's see how this transfer window pans out before throwing fsg to the wolves, eh?
They have supported him based on a sell to buy policy... FSG do not deserve to own LFC if that is the policy they want us to operate under!

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
They have supported him based on a sell to buy policy... FSG do not deserve to own LFC if that is the policy they want us to operate under!
That isn't true. Generally, they've balanced the books and allowed the club to be self-sustainable (which is a good thing in my book). But Klopp has never been forced to sell players before buying new ones. Have a look at his transfer record and you'll see.

This summer, we'll see, it's too early to judge yet, but I really don't think that it is sell-to-buy policy which has stopped the club to sign Werner.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
First post since just before the CL final last year when we won our 6th European Cup. No posts after we won it. No posts after we won the Supercup. No posts after we won the Club World Cup. No posts after we finally won the league again.

No posts.

Until this one criticising the owners. :rolleyes:

First post since just before the CL final last year when we won our 6th European Cup. No posts after we won it. No posts after we won the Supercup. No posts after we won the Club World Cup. No posts after we finally won the league again.

No posts.

Until this one criticising the owners. :rolleyes:
So what if I haven't posted.. what has posting frequency got to do with pointing out a lack of leadership by FSG.. I did not post because I enjoyed reading the forums and the winning under Klopp... plus was v busy at work... this situation of FSG not backing Klopp has really dsiappointed me, so much so that I needed to vent.. and vent towards FSG.. it's not Klopp who's not refreshing the squad, it's FSG that are being tight! Look at all our rivals.. they have strengthened.. yet we expect Klopp to continue to perform miracles with the same group of players... since summer of 2019 - who have we bought?

Kopstar

★★★★★★
So what if I haven't posted.. what has posting frequency got to do with pointing out a lack of leadership by FSG.. I did not post because I enjoyed reading the forums and the winning under Klopp... plus was v busy at work... this situation of FSG not backing Klopp has really dsiappointed me, so much so that I needed to vent.. and vent towards FSG.. it's not Klopp who's not refreshing the squad, it's FSG that are being tight! Look at all our rivals.. they have strengthened.. yet we expect Klopp to continue to perform miracles with the same group of players... since summer of 2019 - who have we bought?
Not criticising your lack of posting, by the looks of it I should welcome it.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
This is a discussion forum, and maybe if you posted a bit more generally people would be a bit more ready to hear your venting about FSG. As it is you just look like a bit of a spoilt kid wanting a new toy on Boxing Day cos he’s bored of the ones he got the day before.

If you just want to fire angry points into the ether from a position of ignorance use Twitter like the rest of them.

Sweeting

Best period of success for 30 years and all you care about is the transfer window.

StevenAlonso

Looks like we aren't getting Thiago who will be a free agent in 4 months..We are looking elsewhere - Sarr may be..

iftikhar

I'm not too arsed with the lack of incoming. But I would love to see some movements in the outgoing front. I know there's still five weeks left in the transfer window, but we have a heap of players to offload.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
There's a month or so to go with the window, so there's a lot of time. But at some point during the month, I'd really love to have us announce a CB signing and surprise us all.

Doesn't have to be a world beater, just a serviceable 4th choice CB, Ragnar Klavanish if you will. We all laughed a bit when City spend ridiculous sums on fullbacks and went into the season with 3 CBs. We obviously haven't been spending a lot of money on frivolous signings, but having only 3 senior CBs (with one of them Matip-so like having 2.5 CBs) is a problem. Unless Klopp thinks the 17 year old can handle minutes (doubtful), I'm not sure Van den berg or Hoever are ready (side bar: will Hoever be a CB? The older he gets, and the more he flirts with different positions, it gets a bit worrying he doesn't have a nailed on spot to aim for- a bit like Woodburn, but that's a different topic for another thread- maybe he does have a nailed on position, and I just don't know about it. I'm surprised he hasn't competed with Williams more for the reserve RB spot).

If the plan is to use Fabinho at CB when needed, I'd like to see him switch full time to the role. He's had a prolonged dip in form now coming off the end of last season, and we'd be relying on him an awful lot. I guess that's the Thiago argument, that he can push Fabinho into the back-line, which could work out in the long term for us, but I doubt that's Klopp's plan. But who knows.

End of day, I want another CB with us. If that means buying one, fine. If it means Fabinho switches (like Biscan did) fine. But Fabinho is currently first choice DM, so can't see that switch coming if I'm honest, and don't want anyone just for spot duty here and there.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
I'm pretty sure we will end the window with a CB and an attacker who isn't messi. Oh and a midfielder.
Ones in addition to what we already have, you mean, or will those three be the only players we'll have left once FSG has sold most of the squad to pay for new players for their rounders team and bigger yachts?

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
The problem is I don’t think there is a Ragnar Klavan out there. There is a general dearth of centre backs. Chelsea have just signed a 36 year old as a season long stopgap.

Bringing in Thiago and using Fabinho there is the best solution to this problem.

Noo Noo

I’d have definitely been looking at a fourth attacker, but I think there are still loads of options if we have to rest one of the front three.

I’d certainly be looking at a 4231 when we can play Mo, Mane or Bobby
For me that's where Thiago (you may have heard of him) fits in. That formation instantly works with him + A N Other alongside at the base of the midfield.

I had wondered if Brewster could take the 4th attacking role off of Origi to be honest. I really dont see why he couldn't. He's different to Origi and Firmino and perhaps that works in his favor but might also mean the side as a whole needs to adjust more than they would normally expect.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
For me that's where Thiago (you may have heard of him) fits in. That formation instantly works with him + A N Other alongside at the base of the midfield.

I had wondered if Brewster could take the 4th attacking role off of Origi to be honest. I really dont see why he couldn't. He's different to Origi and Firmino and perhaps that works in his favor but might also mean the side as a whole needs to adjust more than they would normally expect.
I think that 4th role is Minamino's to lose at the moment.

Noo Noo

I think that 4th role is Minamino's to lose at the moment.
Possibly although I had him in mind for Mane or Salah. But through the middle, why not? No objection from me and I do like the option of him being able to provide an option across any of that front 3.

Here's a quandry. if we go 4-2-3-1, who plays the central position in the 3?

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Possibly although I had him in mind for Mane or Salah. But through the middle, why not? No objection from me and I do like the option of him being able to provide an option across any of that front 3.

Here's a quandry. if we go 4-2-3-1, who plays the central position in the 3?
from charity shield, probably Mo. Or could see Mane there. Not sure someone off bench is coming on to spearhead it. Agree could be Brewster, but if he can't find time during a friendly, how likely is he to get it during the season?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
The problem is I don’t think there is a Ragnar Klavan out there. There is a general dearth of centre backs. Chelsea have just signed a 36 year old as a season long stopgap.

Bringing in Thiago and using Fabinho there is the best solution to this problem.
Chelsea are not exactly imaginative or creative with their recruitment. They never would have signed Tsimikas for instance. They're not the barometer to use to judge what is available on the market.

Limiescouse

There's a month or so to go with the window, so there's a lot of time. But at some point during the month, I'd really love to have us announce a CB signing and surprise us all.

End of day, I want another CB with us. If that means buying one, fine. If it means Fabinho switches (like Biscan did) fine. But Fabinho is currently first choice DM, so can't see that switch coming if I'm honest, and don't want anyone just for spot duty here and there.
I dont know I completely buy the idea that we need to get rid of someone before we buy, as the players being identified in that group have not really been part of the group anyway (Grujic, Wilson etc), but do think fitting in Thiago without getting rid of an actual player who was here and used last year is easier to justify if Fab is earmarked for the 4th CB role.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Chelsea are not exactly imaginative or creative with their recruitment. They never would have signed Tsimikas for instance. They're not the barometer to use to judge what is available on the market.
But even so, if you want a lad who will be available for 10-15 games at Centre Back, be versatile enough to play elsewhere, and not be far of the level of the current CBs, to me that’s Fabinho.

Would rather spend the pennies on the midfield and Forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.