• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Who would you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
But even so, if you want a lad who will be available for 10-15 games at Centre Back, be versatile enough to play elsewhere, and not be far of the level of the current CBs, to me that’s Fabinho.

Would rather spend the pennies on the midfield and Forwards.
100%, sign smart not because everyone else is.

Zoran

Anyone have an opinion on Eduardo Camavinga?

Haven't seen him play. Called up to the France squad as Pogba's replacement, we'll see if he gets any game time. Deschamps is sometimes pretty slow at giving new players a chance, France change little in last years, their squads/team selections are very consistent. Let's see if the kid is the real deal or if it's another potential Renato Sanches (at least for now what he has done vs the hype early on).

saymyname

Hardly Nostrodamus, that happens to every team no matter how much money they throw at it.

Klopp has been well backed in the past. He's broke the club transfer record on multiple occasions. If we had oligarch owners then yes we probably would have signed Werner but we don't, FSG aren't rich enough to commission spending from their own pocket, so we have to make sensible business decisions. Werner, a backup, was not financially sensible at the extortionate wages he was asking for.

Thiago only finished his season one week ago and there are seemingly no other serious suitors. Interest from PSG was raised and faded almost immediately. From the outside it seems Liverpool, or more to the point Michael Edwards, is confident of negotiating the deal to be more favourable to us, given that in four months time he can signed for free (this is a technique Bayern and Juve are often praised for by the way, but now that we are trying it people lose their minds with impatience).

Finally, we have already signed someone. Tsimikas fills the major hole in the squad from last season.
I know I state the obvious and I'm not an expert, I'm not all hepped up about lack of transfer fever either, we used Lovren money to sign a non replacement, but still cool, he looks a really good player.
Two seasons in a row without the owners spending? After Klopp pushing the first 11 to the limits and multiple cups, tv revenue as a result, new Nike besmirchment of our club? (don't like Nike) Hmm colour me stupid but come on man. I know I emphasised how lucky we are to have him and his coaching team but this isn't the German league and he shouldn't have to work under those constraints.
At least the owners employed him or he chose us because he wanted to.
This isn't just about Thiago, because I don't really know how much Jurgen wants him or anything. I'll see how it goes. I can't make sense of the notion Jurgen asked for say Werner and the owners went nah got to erm sort out stuff with the Red Sox, Soz Jurgen. Didn't they have huge tax issues and had to sell loads of baseball players, now it's us who are feeling it at LFC?

PaulRoJo

League thirst since 1990? Temporarily quenched!
Thanks guys, no doubt someone we're keeping an eye on. Potential signing next season, especially if we don't freshen up midfield this season?

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
Thanks guys, no doubt someone we're keeping an eye on. Potential signing next season, especially if we don't freshen up midfield this season?
He’d be top of my midfield list, with the usual caveat that a lot can change in a year- especially with younger players. He’s a player with unlimited potential, though, and is consequently going to have a lot of suitors.

Sweeting

I know I state the obvious and I'm not an expert, I'm not all hepped up about lack of transfer fever either, we used Lovren money to sign a non replacement, but still cool, he looks a really good player.
Two seasons in a row without the owners spending? After Klopp pushing the first 11 to the limits and multiple cups, tv revenue as a result, new Nike besmirchment of our club? (don't like Nike) Hmm colour me stupid but come on man. I know I emphasised how lucky we are to have him and his coaching team but this isn't the German league and he shouldn't have to work under those constraints.
At least the owners employed him or he chose us because he wanted to.
This isn't just about Thiago, because I don't really know how much Jurgen wants him or anything. I'll see how it goes. I can't make sense of the notion Jurgen asked for say Werner and the owners went nah got to erm sort out stuff with the Red Sox, Soz Jurgen. Didn't they have huge tax issues and had to sell loads of baseball players, now it's us who are feeling it at LFC?
Red Sox fans complain that FSG focus too much on Liverpool.
Liverpool fans complain that FSG focus too much on the Red Sox.

As far as I am aware, the two clubs are funded entirely differently. I'd be very surprised if they were taking money out of Liverpool to fund a team rebuild at Fenway. They've worked hard to make Liverpool more or less self sustaining.

The bigger factors for us are the new stand, the proposed new Anfield Road expansion and the new training ground, which has had significant delays and extra costs because of Covid. The training ground itself, which I think was necessary and will be massively beneficial to the young players and first team, was due to cost £200m. The ground expansions will be significant outlay although I can't remember the costs off the top of my head. Add to that the possibility of having to replace, or think about replacing, at least one of the front three in the next year or two which will probably be a £60m-£80m type transfer then I think more than anything the 'lack' of spending is not about being tight but about making sure we have the money to set up the infrastructure and make the additions to ensure long term and sustained success.

Kopstar

★★★★★★

As far as I am aware, the two clubs are funded entirely differently. I'd be very surprised if they were taking money out of Liverpool to fund a team rebuild at Fenway. They've worked hard to make Liverpool more or less self sustaining.

The bigger factors for us are the new stand, the proposed new Anfield Road expansion and the new training ground, which has had significant delays and extra costs because of Covid. The training ground itself, which I think was necessary and will be massively beneficial to the young players and first team, was due to cost £200m. The ground expansions will be significant outlay although I can't remember the costs off the top of my head. Add to that the possibility of having to replace, or think about replacing, at least one of the front three in the next year or two which will probably be a £60m-£80m type transfer then I think more than anything the 'lack' of spending is not about being tight but about making sure we have the money to set up the infrastructure and make the additions to ensure long term and sustained success.
I thought your position was that there was no need to do this in that timeline as players can now easily maintain their level into their 30s?

Sweeting

I thought your position was that there was no need to do this in that timeline as players can now easily maintain their level into their 30s?
It is, but we will probably buy their "replacement" before we let them go like we seemed to want to do with Werner.

I think the first one of the three to be replaced will be Salah. Two years time he will be 30, which is fine, but at that point I can see us pulling the trigger on someone like Sancho (just for example) with a view to them taking over the following year, and Salah being in a rotation in his 31/32 season.

Last edited:

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member

I thought the total cost of the new training complex was about £50 million, not £200 million?

RedSeven

On the one road
It is, but we will probably buy their "replacement" before we let them go like we seemed to want to do with Werner.

I think the first one of the three to be replaced will be Salah. Two years time he will be 30, which is fine, but at that point I can see us pulling the trigger on someone like Sancho (just for example) with a view to them taking over the following year, and Salah being in a rotation in his 31/32 season.
Is Sarr from Watford not now being looked at as a replacement for Mane

Sweeting

I thought the total cost of the new training complex was about £50 million, not £200 million?
Yes you're right sorry, I might have been confusing the new stand cost and the training ground cost.

With the new stand, training ground and if the Anfield Road expansion goes ahead that must be around £350m-£400m at least that has gone on infrastructure.

RedSeven

On the one road
Ease him in for a year, learning from his idol... Who knows? :unsure:
I think we'll be looking at selling one of our front 3 for a high price next summer so it makes sense to get in someone like Sarr now before we get
over-overcharged next year.

Lowton_Red

Ad-free Member
Yes you're right sorry, I might have been confusing the new stand cost and the training ground cost.

With the new stand, training ground and if the Anfield Road expansion goes ahead that must be around £350m-£400m at least that has gone on infrastructure.
The redevelopment of the Main Stand, plus various other mods to the ground, and the work completed on the new training facility at the end of May 2019, came to £126 million. Completing the training facility should take the total spend to about £150 million.

Assuming the proposed expansion of the Anfield Road end costs about £75 million, total spend would be nearer £225 million.

Sweeting

The redevelopment of the Main Stand, plus various other mods to the ground, and the work completed on the new training facility at the end of May 2019, came to £126 million. Completing the training facility should take the total spend to about £150 million.

Assuming the proposed expansion of the Anfield Road end costs about £75 million, total spend would be nearer £225 million.
All reports I can find say the cost of the training ground is £50m, not £24m. so that would mean about £250m and according to the Echo our COO Andy Hughes said "... we are in a much stronger place and the fact we can finance this locally within our revolving credit facility demonstrates that." Which to me means we haven't taken any additional loans above our normal operations credit to finance these projects. I'd rather we did that than take out new loans just so we can spend another £100m this summer.

Lowton_Red

Ad-free Member
All reports I can find say the cost of the training ground is £50m, not £24m. so that would mean about £250m and according to the Echo our COO Andy Hughes said "... we are in a much stronger place and the fact we can finance this locally within our revolving credit facility demonstrates that." Which to me means we haven't taken any additional loans above our normal operations credit to finance these projects. I'd rather we did that than take out new loans just so we can spend another £100m this summer.
You are correct, the new training facility will cost about £50 million. However, at the end of May 2019 we had already spent somewhere between £22 million and £25 million on the training facility, leaving about £25 million outstanding. When it is completed the total spend will be about £150 million. Add in the Anfield Road end development, at ca. £75 million, will take the total to about £225 million.

Sweeting

You are correct, the new training facility will cost about £50 million. However, at the end of May 2019 we had already spent somewhere between £22 million and £25 million on the training facility, leaving about £25 million outstanding. When it is completed the total spend will be about £150 million. Add in the Anfield Road end development, at ca. £75 million, will take the total to about £225 million.
Right, well either way my point is the logic a lot of fans are going with about "we should have money to spend from winning the Champions League and the Premier League" does not account for the fact we have built the new stand, the new club store, the new media centre, the training ground and are now looking at redeveloping the Annie Road End without any additional outside funding.

Can't be many other clubs that have done that.

Lowton_Red

Ad-free Member
Right, well either way my point is the logic a lot of fans are going with about "we should have money to spend from winning the Champions League and the Premier League" does not account for the fact we have built the new stand, the new club store, the new media centre, the training ground and are now looking at redeveloping the Annie Road End without any additional outside funding.

Can't be many other clubs that have done that.
I agree with you; the developments to our infrastructure are ultimately being funded from/by our own resources.

Red over the water

If we sign Sarr it is to add depth to the front three, as the games are coming thick and fast. He has talent and pace, but is still too raw to be a regular for us. In time, if he grows... and if we sign him we will expect that, then who knows, he might become a regular and set us up for the departure of one of the front three, but we are a long way from that yet.

Personally I’d like to see Sarr plus another, more expensive player who is ready to slot in straight away, at the time if and when Mo or Sadio depart.

vjcpatriot

Transfers so far:
Out: Dejan Lovren CB
In: Kosta Tsimikas LB

Looking into the Crystal ball:
Out: Wijnaldum CM
In: Thiago CM

Out: Divock Origi CF
In: Patson Daka CF

Out: Harry Wilson Winger, Xerdan Shaqiri AMC, Grujic CM
In: Backup CB, Backup Winger

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Transfers so far:
Out: Dejan Lovren CB
In: Kosta Tsimikas LB

Looking into the Crystal ball:
Out: Wijnaldum CM
In: Thiago CM

Out: Divock Origi CF
In: Patson Daka CF

Out: Harry Wilson Winger, Xerdan Shaqiri AMC, Grujic CM
In: Backup CB, Backup Winger
If the club are looking to bring in a CF, then i would expect Brewster to look to leave. I think we're more likely to use one of our wide forwards in a central position than we are to bring someone in during this window specifically for that position.

rab

If the club are looking to bring in a CF, then i would expect Brewster to look to leave. I think we're more likely to use one of our wide forwards in a central position than we are to bring someone in during this window specifically for that position.
Also, Minamino has looked much better in that Firmino role than out wide. Highly doubt a young number 9 type is in our thinking. Only way we're bringing in someone like Daka is if we're confident he can play wide. Certainly looks to have the pace for it but no idea if he's ever played that position before.

Status
Not open for further replies.