Who would you keep ?

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...liverpool-contract-expiry-mane-sadio-14588306

Not all of them are accurate (Origi is until 2020, Milner as well, Grujić until 2023) but it's indicative that Alexander-Arnold, Robertson and Wijnaldum are most probably the next three Liverpool players to be in line for extensions, while Matip, Clyne and Lallana are probably the next three to leave (not counting Moreno who is as good as gone). Stranger things have happened, of course, but this is how the current team is shaping up to look.
Hard to argue with the above, though Sturridge makes an interesting case, deal up in the summer but Klopp seems to be putting his faith in him as the main cover for Firmino. Will we let him leave on a free this summer, or does he get a new 1-2 year deal? Would he want that?

Also, how on earth has Mignolet got 2.5 years remaining? :shocked:

Nikola

Mediocre outcome is the probable outcome.
Admin
Hard to argue with the above, though Sturridge makes an interesting case, deal up in the summer but Klopp seems to be putting his faith in him as the main cover for Firmino. Will we let him leave on a free this summer, or does he get a new 1-2 year deal? Would he want that?

Also, how on earth has Mignolet got 2.5 years remaining? :shocked:
I'm torn over Sturridge. He's either brilliant or injured, and his brilliance is best served when he comes off the bench. On one hand, Firmino would hardly be rested if Sturridge could only play as a sub, and likewise if Sturridge started, he would most probably be an ineffective option given his loss of pace and stamina. At this moment, I think Liverpool are getting close to something of a clearout of attacking positions in the summer (Marković, Origi, Sturridge all leaving permanently, Solanke perhaps leaving on loan).

Dave-D

Sturridge is a strange one and if he does get a ban from the FA that would also have a big influence on what Liverpool do with him.
Wouldn’t mind if he stayed as the a kind of third choice with say just for argument sake Liverpool sign Werner.
Him and Firmino rotate whilst Firmino also plays behind Werner in free role and Sturridge is the one who comes of the bench but I don’t think he’d be happy with that this.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I'm torn over Sturridge. He's either brilliant or injured, and his brilliance is best served when he comes off the bench. On one hand, Firmino would hardly be rested if Sturridge could only play as a sub, and likewise if Sturridge started, he would most probably be an ineffective option given his loss of pace and stamina. At this moment, I think Liverpool are getting close to something of a clearout of attacking positions in the summer (Marković, Origi, Sturridge all leaving permanently, Solanke perhaps leaving on loan).
I think Sturridge’s future is tied into Brewster’s.

If Klopp is serious about bringing Brewster into the first team, the keeping Sturridge makes sense - both as a mentor and role model for Rhian, and also as a back up to him in case he struggles.

If we do go for Timo Werner (for example) I can see Sturridge moving on.

Nikola

Mediocre outcome is the probable outcome.
Admin
I think Sturridge’s future is tied into Brewster’s.

If Klopp is serious about bringing Brewster into the first team, the keeping Sturridge makes sense - both as a mentor and role model for Rhian, and also as a back up to him in case he struggles.

If we do go for Timo Werner (for example) I can see Sturridge moving on.
Brewster's situation is peculiar - it was said by reliable sources that Klopp wouldn't go for Werner in particular because he had promised game time to Brewster. Because of his pace, he can also play on the wing, even though it's not his natural role, which is reminiscent of Werner himself. In that sense, I think he's closer to becoming a player like Salah or Mane, only in centre forward role, rather than Sturridge.

I agree with you, though, having a version of Sturridge Klopp could rely on would be probably very beneficial to both Brewster (allowing Klopp to ease him into the first team) and Solanke (freeing him up for a loan move). That said, do Klopp and his staff believe that Sturridge can be relied upon and, conversely, would Sturridge be satisfied with a backup role?

GermanRed

Brewster's situation is peculiar - it was said by reliable sources that Klopp wouldn't go for Werner in particular because he had promised game time to Brewster. Because of his pace, he can also play on the wing, even though it's not his natural role, which is reminiscent of Werner himself. In that sense, I think he's closer to becoming a player like Salah or Mane, only in centre forward role, rather than Sturridge.

I agree with you, though, having a version of Sturridge Klopp could rely on would be probably very beneficial to both Brewster (allowing Klopp to ease him into the first team) and Solanke (freeing him up for a loan move). That said, do Klopp and his staff believe that Sturridge can be relied upon and, conversely, would Sturridge be satisfied with a backup role?
Wages are also an issue. Sturridge is on ₤120k a week but from what he delivered since his contract extension he should be somewhere between Moreno (i think ₤50k) and Matip (i think 80k) tbf. Sturridge is 29 now and that's an age where he is probably looking to increase his wages.

Red Ted

Bit of a contadiction there.

This notion that he's brilliant is just plain wrong, someone the other week was saying he's a front line world class striker, it's odd.

He was brilliant for 18 months up until 4 and half years ago & hasn't been anywhere remotely close to that level since, infact he's been a massive let down, an absolute waste of time and money.

Yes there are exceptions - the odd flash of brilliance like the Chelsea/Sevilla goals, if he's fit he can be of some use to us on occasion but he can't be relied upon to be fit or be the player he was 5/6 years ago because he simply isn't that player anymore.

He owes us all a season where he contributes, he's done OK so far but when this season is done it will be time to wave him goodbye & get a quality forward in which I'm pretty sure Klopp will do, we won't be offering him a 140k contract again that is for sure.

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
I'd be very surprised if we were to buy another striker with both Firmino and Salah playing 9 (in very different ways) and also with Klopp's favourite 4-4-1-1 coming out of the shadows. Also, Brewster and Solanke as third/fourth choice is more than enough imo. Klopp won't drop Firmino or Salah and he also won't play Salah on the wing in 4-2-3-1/4-4-1-1. Our new striker is already at Anfield and his name is Salah. I think he will only play as winger in 4-3-3.

There's no need or space for another big striker, we have other needs in midfield (a creative number 8/10) and a also a backup winger.

Unless we are buying someone like a winger also able to play the striker position (but not a natural striker), like Richarlison for example, I doubt we will buy a proper striker to rotate with Firmino and Salah.

Anfield rd Dreamer

I'd be very surprised if we were to buy another striker with both Firmino and Salah playing 9 (in very different ways) and also with Klopp's favourite 4-4-1-1 coming out of the shadows. Also, Brewster and Solanke as third/fourth choice is more than enough imo. Klopp won't drop Firmino or Salah and he also won't play Salah on the wing in 4-2-3-1/4-4-1-1. Our new striker is already at Anfield and his name is Salah. I think he will only play as winger in 4-3-3.

There's no need or space for another big striker, we have other needs in midfield (a creative number 8/10) and a also a backup winger.

Unless we are buying someone like a winger also able to play the striker position (but not a natural striker), like Richarlison for example, I doubt we will buy a proper striker to rotate with Firmino and Salah.
Not sure I agree with that. Klopp likes multi functional players. If Firmino is there as an option for both 1s in a 4411 formation then Mane can be an option both sides, Salah on the right and up front, Shaqiri as cover. A real top draw CF option does make sense. Especially if he's also an option on the left.

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
Not sure I agree with that. Klopp likes multi functional players. If Firmino is there as an option for both 1s in a 4411 formation then Mane can be an option both sides, Salah on the right and up front, Shaqiri as cover. A real top draw CF option does make sense. Especially if he's also an option on the left.
Depending on the system, we will make use these of these multi functional players. But in 4-4-1-1, Salah can only play up front in Klopp's system, there's no other place for him. Firmino has two spots (although he is not a good playmaker, but an amazing false 9), Mané has two spots and Shaqiri has 2 or 3 spots.

What would happen when we don't have Salah? Firmino up front. We have two world class strikers at the moment and we can use both in very different ways as number nines. Firmino had an amazing 17/18 season playing there, I don't understand why people really think we need another striker.

Playing 4-4-1-1, two amazing strikers in the squad already... I don't know the reason why we would buy a third one. This summer we tried a number 10, not a striker. It was never a striker.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Depending on the system, we will make use these of these multi functional players. But in 4-4-1-1, Salah can only play up front in Klopp's system, there's no other place for him. Firmino has two spots (although he is not a good playmaker, but an amazing false 9), Mané has two spots and Shaqiri has 2 or 3 spots.

What would happen when we don't have Salah? Firmino up front. We have two world class strikers at the moment and we can use both in very different ways as number nines. Firmino had an amazing 17/18 season playing there, I don't understand why people really think we need another striker.

Playing 4-4-1-1, two amazing strikers in the squad already... I don't know the reason why we would buy a third one. This summer we tried a number 10, not a striker. It was never a striker.
I think you are being too structured with the way you are thinking of the roles because of who you have seen perform in them. Whether you call it 4411, 4231, 4333, 4213, 442 I think mostly comes down to the playing style of the personnel used in the positions.

I think what we are seeing these days is Klopp switching between two set ups. One more attacking with 2 CMs, 2 wide attackers and 2 central attackers and another more defensive with 3 CMs, 2 wide attackers and 1 central attacker.

Whether he is 1 of the 2 or the lone central attacker Firmino always drops deeper than a traditional CF. I don't think he is quite as effective in a 2 as on his own because he drops deep but then later in the attack he sometimes can't move into the space he used to when he is on his own. His partner is already in those spaces.

With our current playing staff the most obvious combination for the attacking formation is Salah and Firmino central with Shaqiri on the right. Salah is still our most potent goal scorer and after our first choice 3 attackers Shaqiri is our next best option going on ability, form and fit in playing style.

If he or Mane was missing I think we'd see a version where Sturridge would be starting with Firmino playing off him and Salah on the right.

Klopp believes in players earning their spots and based on that, when everyone is fit, the first four attackers are currently Salah, Firmino, Mane and Shaqiri. Maybe if Shaqiri gets more established and important from a central position we might even see Klopp playing him behind Firmino and Salah moving back to the right but I'm not sure we will see that.

I wouldn't use what we've seen as categorical evidence that Klopp won't look for another star attacker who can play central. After all, whether you consider him to have been an attacking 8, number 10 or false 9 option, whatever label you want to use, Fekir would have been forming a partnership with Firmino attacking from the central positions. If he'd arrived I think our attacking formation would have been him and Firmino central with Salah and Mane wide.

Also whatever you want to think of as a striker I don't think we'd see a Giroud or Lukaku type bought by Klopp. If we go big here someone like Dybala, Werner or Griezmann would be more likely. A fluid player who can be central, wide or dropped off a bit. If that happens I think Sturridge would be allowed to leave and Shaqiri drop from 4th choice attacker to 5th choice.