• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you keep ?

Noo Noo

I "watched" Gujic play a few times and the loan has done him good. The thing that caught my eye in the games was his in-game intelligence and deceptive speed.

I think he is a better version Can at the same age/stage due to the loan spell.

The player that has disappointed me most is Lallana (lack of consistency and fitness issues) the incident with the U23 has left a bad taste and other teams know his weaknesses, not sure he has it in him to adapt due to his fitness limitations.

IMO, get rid off any player who wants to haggle over money and playing time. They get paid plenty and they must earn the right to play.
Better than Can is saying something given that Klopp has had a decent look at him before his loan. I certainly agree that the loan has done hime wonders though. Playing slightly deeper etc.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
In no way am I advocating selling Woodburn ( see previous posts I mae ), I was using him as an example.
In your original comment you wrote that we need a big squad ( which I agree ) even by keeping players just for the off chance we get a lot of injuries like we did this year. When this season started, Klopp had 7 senior midfielders for 3 slots, Coutinho left, Lallana got injured, than Can and finally Ox. So for the last stretch of the season, Klopp as left with only 3 able midfielders. Which I believe is he point you are making.

However, and here is where Woodburn is used as an example, even during that long last month, Klopp used TAA and even Firmino once in the midfield rather than using Woodburn ( let alone using Camacho or Brewster ). Maybe Klopp does not believe in giving chances to kids so late in the season? Maybe throwing a player ( doesn't have to be young ) that hasn't played all season is counter productive ?

Players need to play, when they don't they are rusty, they are off the pace, less confident and most importantly not getting any better, which is what everybody wants from our young players.

Grujic just finished a very impressive loan. As it is now, there are 7 senior players in front of him and maybe more are coming ( Fekir ?!? ). Firmino is our central forward, he has 3 "natural" backups : Ings, Solanke, Woodburn ( with Origi an d Sturridge returning form loans, and Mane and Salah can play central as well ). We agree none of the 3 is a suitable backup so we need another one. Where do you see Woodburn getting any minutes ?

I think a healthy squad should have 2 players fighting for each position, and a third young player as a backup option.

I would do the following:

Gk - Bring a new proven #1, Ward as 2nd ( promise to play him in domestic cups ), loan karius, sell Migs and Bogdan.
CB - Between VVD, Lovren, Klavan, Matip and Gomez, I think we are set.
RB - TAA and Clyne. With a heavy heart sell Flanno and Randall.
LB - Robo and Moreno. I wouldn't frown on a more reliable backup for Robo and sell Moreno, but that is not a priority now.
Holding / DM - Fabinho and Hendo. Keep Grujic as he can cover that position.
CM - Milner, Keita. Grujic a good 3rd option. Sell Gini and Chirivella. Loan out Ejaria.
CAM - Lallana, Ox ( injured for the first few month ), need to bring someone new, Maybe Fekir.
Wingers - Salah, Mane. Keep both Kent and Wilson, who ever takes his chances better wins. No need to go and spend on another winger. Sell Markovic if someone is willing to pay for him. Loan out Ojo.
Forwards - Firmino. Bring another new forward. Solanke 3rd choice ( Last chance ) . Loan out Woodburn ( he needs to play ). Sell Sturridge, Origi and Ings.

Sell list - Migs, Bogdan, Flanno, Randall, Gini, Chirivella, Markovic, Sturridge, Origi and Ings. All in all 10 players.
Loan list -Karius, Ejaria, Ojo, Woodburn. 4 Players.
I think the better question I would post to you is,"Why the need to sell?". If the players themselves wanting to go, don't mind them leaving, but why the need to sell with all your examples about Wijnaldum, Woodburn and so on?

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
Working from the 25 man squad list and the already signed players, the only ones I would definitely sell regardless are:

Bogdan
Coutinho (already sold)
Can
Flanagan
Jones (already sold)
Markovic
Mignolet
Sturridge
Origi

Leaving:

1. Karius
Ward*
Clyne*
2. VVD
3. Lovren
4. Matip
5. Klavan
6. Robertson
7. Moreno
8. Fabinho
Henderson*
9.Wijnaldum*
10. Keita
Milner*
Ox*
Lallana*
Kent*
11. Mane
12. Salah
13. Firmino
Ings

under 21s
TAA
Gomez
Solanke

Potential incomings:

14. GK (Alisson/Oblak)
15. AM (Fekir?)
16. Winger (Pulisic)
Home grown defender
(Lascelles/Tarkowski)

and that would be my summer business completed.

EDITED to factor under 21s.

Last edited:

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
Actually, I forgot about under 21 freebies. Does anyone know which the 'first team squad' players will still qualify this season?

TAA, Gomez, Solanke? Grujic?

Flobs

FADA
Working from the 25 man squad list and the already signed players, the only ones I would definitely sell regardless are:

Bogdan
Coutinho (already sold)
Can
Flanagan
Jones (already sold)
Markovic
Mignolet
Sturridge
Origi
Ings

Leaving:

1. Karius
Ward*
Clyne*
TAA*
Gomez
2. VVD
3. Lovren
4. Matip
5. Klavan
6. Robertson
7. Moreno
8. Fabinho
Henderson*
9.Wijnaldum*
10. Keita
Milner*
Ox*
Lallana*
11. Mane
12. Salah
13. Firmino
Solanke*

Potential incomings:

14. GK (Alisson/Oblak)
15. AM (Fekir?)
16. Winger (Pulisic)
Home grown defender
(Lascelles/Tarkowski)

So one further player to be sold or loaned (Matip?)

and that would be my summer business completed.
Kent and Grujic out on loan?

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
Kent and Grujic out on loan?
As I say i"m not sure who still qualifies as under 21 for this season. If they do then keep them or loan them. Not fussed really. Same for Woodburn, Ejaria, Ojo etc.

Klopp has already shown with TAA that if you are good enough you can make it here. I do wonder sometimes if we rate our youngsters too highly. While it would be great if they worked out here, Klopp is the best judge of that, and if they aren't considered good enough, I am okay with that.

Either way, the first 10 I listed would be definite sellers, the rest I'm trusting Klopp will make the right decision about.

Flobs

FADA
As I say i"m not sure who still qualifies as under 21 for this season. If they do then keep them or loan them. Not fussed really. Same for Woodburn, Ejaria, Ojo etc.

Klopp has already shown with TAA that if you are good enough you can make it here. I do wonder sometimes if we rate our youngsters too highly. While it would be great if they worked out here, Klopp is the best judge of that, and if they aren't considered good enough, I am okay with that.

Either way, the first 10 I listed would be definite sellers, the rest I'm trusting Klopp will make the right decision about.
Would be nice to keep Ward and Kent in the squad just for HGP bragging rights. ^^
Grujic is a difficult one. He is definitely talented but without game time looks like he gets bored and frustrated. If he isn't going to get a few matches I think it's best to loan him for the whole season, which is a shame as I like him (not that that should of of major consideration :J).

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
Would be nice to keep Ward and Kent in the squad just for HGP bragging rights. ^^
Grujic is a difficult one. He is definitely talented but without game time looks like he gets bored and frustrated. If he isn't going to get a few matches I think it's best to loan him for the whole season, which is a shame as I like him (not that that should of of major consideration :J).
Yeah I'll keep them all if we can fit them in. I mean while I am happy to keep Milner and Lallana, realistically I see them only having 1 more season with us, so if we can keep and develop the likes of Kent and Woodburn etc then it will be to our benefit in the following seasons.

inaiq

"Some people feel the rain others just get wet"
Better than Can is saying something given that Klopp has had a decent look at him before his loan. I certainly agree that the loan has done hime wonders though. Playing slightly deeper etc.
True Klopp has had a good look at him and he doesn't give up on players unless they make the choice not to adapt or except thier current reality.
I am not say Can is not good enough, though I believe he has his flaws, at the same stage in their time at LFC, I believe Grujic offers more.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I see plenty of talk recently about Liverpool needing to sell the likes of Clyne and Lallana. It's understandable given their misfortune with injuries last season but they had plenty of football prior to that and they haven't lost their ability over that period. Besides, the squad didn't exactly look blessed with strength in depth (judging by last fifteen years or so, I wonder if I'll ever see a genuinely strong Liverpool squad, not just an extremely talented XI with one or two weak spots and not much behind it).

So, if I was Klopp, when it comes to players with more than a handful senior appearances, I'd keep everyone bar: Mignolet, Bogdan, Marković, Origi and Sturridge. The likes of Grujić, Ejaria (if he extends his contract), Ojo, Wilson, Kent and Awoniyi are ripe for one more loan move at least and the decision on their respective Liverpool futures should be taken next year perhaps. Like a lot of people here, I don't know what to think of Liverpool's striker options - perhaps it would be better to keep Solanke and loan out Ings but Solanke has only one goal for Liverpool so far and I don't see another natural striker signing... Regardless, that version of squad looks like a nice basis for a major upgrade this summer.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
I think the better question I would post to you is,"Why the need to sell?". If the players themselves wanting to go, don't mind them leaving, but why the need to sell with all your examples about Wijnaldum, Woodburn and so on?
That is a great question. Really.
Assuming our next season won't be a flop, we can expect around 56 matches ( 38 PL, 8 domestic cups, 10 CL ), if all goes well maybe even more. This means that even if we use a 3 totally different XI, each player will get to play around 18 matches, not bad. On paper, I just proved your point and solved all fatigue issues to boot.

The fact is when a player doesn't play regularly, they are not 100% "match fit". It is kind of a catch 22. The more you play, the better you get, but you don't get to play because you are rusty/ not experienced enough, and when you get your chance it shows you are not 100%.
A player will work hard in training if he knows he has a true shot of playing on Sunday, convincing the manager he should get a shot. but if you are the 3rd or 4th option, and the only chance you get to play is if a lot of players get injured, and even then the manager is more likely to shift things around and use players who play every week instead of using you, than you don't train as hard ( mentally rather than physically ).
Put yourself in Woodburn's or Ward's shoes, what would be your state of mind following this season ? These are young players I just gave examples, imagine you are a senior player like Gini ?
The best example for this would be Lucas ( I can imagine eyebrows being raised all over ) . Put his ability aside, you won't find anyone here on the site who could question his loyalty, professionalism, commitment and him being a positive influence in the dressing room. Yet even he asked the club to release him because he wanted to play. Why would you think any other player will be different ?

There is also a financial aspect. Take a player, no matter what his market value is, if you don't play him - his value will drop. Add the time on contract aspect, and suddenly a player like Gini who cost 25 mil, is sold for 10 because he barely played and he has only one year left on his contract.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
As I say i"m not sure who still qualifies as under 21 for this season.
To be registered as an under 21 player for the 2018/19 season, a player has to be born after 1st January 1997. So the likes of Wilson, Woodburn, TAA, Gomez, Solanke, Ejaria & Ojo will all qualify as under 21s.

Limiescouse

To be registered as an under 21 player for the 2018/19 season, a player has to be born after 1st January 1997. So the likes of Wilson, Woodburn, TAA, Gomez, Solanke, Ejaria & Ojo will all qualify as under 21s.
For the PL, yes. However, Solanke will not for the CL as to qualify for the B list players need to have been at the club for 2 full seasons.

It is something to keep in mind that at present the squad we are working from (including our 3 keepers, 2 new additions, but excluding all the lads who were out on loan the second half of the season and Can) is 24 strong. In the CL we will only be allowed to register 21 of those plus TAA and Gomez because we will have No Club trained players on the A list. So, we're already looking at having to exclude one player from the current group for the CL squad even before we bring anyone else in. Obviously if that player is someone like Oblak the decision takes care of itself because it means we get rid of a keeper. It becomes more complicated if we bring in someone like Fekir, because we will not simply be able to add him to the group without requiring someone else to sit down.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
For the PL, yes. However, Solanke will not for the CL as to qualify for the B list players need to have been at the club for 2 full seasons.

It is something to keep in mind that at present the squad we are working from (including our 3 keepers, 2 new additions, but excluding all the lads who were out on loan the second half of the season and Can) is 24 strong. In the CL we will only be allowed to register 21 of those plus TAA and Gomez because we will have No Club trained players on the A list. So, we're already looking at having to exclude one player from the current group for the CL squad even before we bring anyone else in. Obviously if that player is someone like Oblak the decision takes care of itself because it means we get rid of a keeper. It becomes more complicated if we bring in someone like Fekir, because we will not simply be able to add him to the group without requiring someone else to sit down.
*cough*Moreno*cough*

Limiescouse

*cough*Moreno*cough*
Well yeah. He is the obvious candidate. Also, we might consider not registering Ox for the group stage, which gives us half a season to consider the options. However, the larger point is that when I disagree with the common refrain on there that we don't have squad depth that is not just a subjective thing, but actually evidenced by the fact that for the CL we are already at the stage of needing to get rid of one player to make room if we want to bring in a new one.

Salah Firmino Mané

It's my first post here so I thought I'd make it a mini-essay :J so tl;dr: we need a new keeper and two new attackers.

It's clear that last season's squad was lacking in three ways: defensive consistency (namely Karius and Lovren); a defensive midfield (in the Kanté mould, breaking up play) and attacking depth (especially when it came to replacing Salah). Klopp has done well to address the second issue so quickly with the signing of Fabinho, but the other two will provide more of a dilemma.

The question of whether to sign a new keeper and centre back essentially comes down to how much Klopp rates Karius and Lovren, and how he predicts they will develop in the future. Karius, prior to the Roma second leg, had done very well to shake off his negative label from earlier in the season, but despite making some good saves against Madrid, you really can't forgive two game-changing clangers in a Champions League Final. I personally think we should keep Karius on as a backup and sign someone like Alisson or Jack Butland. Nick Pope wouldn't be a terrible signing either, actually, given his fantastic form and the fact that he would cost significantly less than Alisson (and perhaps also Butland). In terms of the centre-back situation, I rate Lovren but I don't think he can be a consistent enough performer at the top level (despite Otamendi making the transformation from error-prone liability to solid starter) so I think we need to try playing Matip or Gomez (especially as we have two solid right backs ahead of him in the pecking order) there instead alongside Virgil. If it doesn't work out, then sign someone in January (unless we can get someone like Alderweireld immediately).

It's good that we're being heavily linked with Nabil Fekir but he won't be enough to see us challenge for the title next season: we need to give the starting front three more help. I think we should hold onto Solanke and Lallana and perhaps play the Ox there more next season, but sell Ings and Marković. It might be worth keeping one of Sturridge and Origi, although Klopp doesn't seem to rate the former and the latter might not be happy being a benchwarmer. As shown by our performance after Salah's injury in the Champions League Final, as well as in the FA Cup game against Everton a while back, we're too heavily reliant on Salah, and, to a lesser extent, Firmino and Mané, so we really need better options off the bench. Fekir is one, but ideally we need to get another centre forward and maybe another winger. Hopefully Lallana can find his form again too as he's proven that he can be world class on his day.

It's good news that we're so heavily linked with Alisson and Fekir, but I hope Klopp signs one or two more attackers and shifts some of the deadwood (Marković, Mignolet, Ings and Moreno come to mind). If he gets it right, I can honestly see us winning the league!

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
@shachart pretty good answer but there are some holes in it which needs sort out in your point too.

Aptly put, catch 22 for a player on the fringe and not a starter. You are saying if a player knew they are not a starter they won’t be putting in shifts during training. If that’s the mentality they have they are better off lrequest for a move. They should know better that with Klopp you need to bust a gut in training if not you won’t be playing not even in preliminary cup ties matches. Professionalism is something Klopp would be expecting and if they can’t adhere to it I think no matter how good they are, they be gone.

So if they don’t train hard there’s no way they are going to feature. You can never tell if you will be called up. Just take a look at Robertson for example, once Moreno went down he was called upon and imagine if he didn’t train as hard as he could, Klopp would probably told Milner to fill that gap. Wijnaldum is another good example, he played the most man minutes among all our midfielders, imagine if he doesn’t work hard in training, like Grujic, he won’t get a sniff. As a player what would you do?

Your final point is about value. This is the reason why I asked about the need to sell. Unless you are telling me we are strap for cash and our owners need us to sell in order to fund our purchases then I concede that we NEED to sell. We are in the business of winning titles and trophies, not buy low and sell high trading players.

Last edited:

Flobs

FADA
Been scouting around.
Our revised squad of Jan 2018 had 21 players in the 25 player squad allowed.
Of that list 2 players contracts end this summer Can (Gone) and Bogdan (Gone on a free) If we keep Bogdan I will do something silly.
That means after deductions we have a squad of 19 players leaving 6 places empty.

If we add Grujic and Kent who are now over 21 and Kieta and Fabinho that still leaves us room for 2 more players.

So why are we talking of selling players?
If we need room in the squad I would first look at loaning out Grujic and/or Kent. If we bring in a new super goalkeeper personally I think 4 goalkeepers is overkill and should sell any one of our absolute shit ones except Ward as he is a HGP.
IMO we should keep all squad members if possible unless, most importantly we need squad space for adding a better player, they are being arseholes (only Klopp and his staff can judge that (example Sakho) or are absolute shit like our goalkeepers then they should be moved on. At the moment we just don't need to liberate space even if it would be nice to off load Karius and Mignolet.

For the CL it is clearly more complicated but taking the EPL squad is a good starting point.

Revised squad as of end Jan 2018:

Liverpool
25 Squad players

Barbosa De Oliveira, Roberto Firmino
Bogdan, Adam Free agent
Can, Emre Free agent
Clyne, Nathaniel Edwin*
Henderson, Jordan Brian*
Ings, Daniel William John*
Karius, Loris Sven
Klavan, Ragnar
Lallana, Adam David*
Lovren, Dejan
Mane, Sadio
Matip, Job Joel Andre
Mignolet, Simon
Milner, James Philip*
Moreno Perez, Alberto
Oxlade-Chamberlain, Alexander Mark David*
Robertson, Andrew
Salah, Mohamed
Van Dijk, Virgil
Ward, Daniel*
Wijnaldum, Georginio

RedForever2014

Been scouting around.
Our revised squad of Jan 2018 had 21 players in the 25 player squad allowed.
Of that list 2 players contracts end this summer Can (Gone) and Bogdan (Gone on a free) If we keep Bogdan I will do something silly.
That means after deductions we have a squad of 19 players leaving 6 places empty.

If we add Grujic and Kent who are now over 21 and Kieta and Fabinho that still leaves us room for 2 more players.

So why are we talking of selling players?
If we need room in the squad I would first look at loaning out Grujic and/or Kent. If we bring in a new super goalkeeper personally I think 4 goalkeepers is overkill and should sell any one of our absolute shit ones except Ward as he is a HGP.
IMO we should keep all squad members if possible unless, most importantly we need squad space for adding a better player, they are being arseholes (only Klopp and his staff can judge that (example Sakho) or are absolute shit like our goalkeepers then they should be moved on. At the moment we just don't need to liberate space even if it would be nice to off load Karius and Mignolet.

For the CL it is clearly more complicated but taking the EPL squad is a good starting point.

Revised squad as of end Jan 2018:

Liverpool
25 Squad players

Barbosa De Oliveira, Roberto Firmino
Bogdan, Adam Free agent
Can, Emre Free agent
Clyne, Nathaniel Edwin*
Henderson, Jordan Brian*
Ings, Daniel William John*
Karius, Loris Sven
Klavan, Ragnar
Lallana, Adam David*
Lovren, Dejan
Mane, Sadio
Matip, Job Joel Andre
Mignolet, Simon
Milner, James Philip*
Moreno Perez, Alberto
Oxlade-Chamberlain, Alexander Mark David*
Robertson, Andrew
Salah, Mohamed
Van Dijk, Virgil
Ward, Daniel*
Wijnaldum, Georginio
What I'm interested in is usable players. In reality we had 20 usable outfield players after January (when signing VVD but selling/loaning Coutinho, Sturridge and Grujic took us down to 20 from 22). That includes those injured at the time, like Clyne and Lallana.

That's not enough, as we saw when 3 or 4 injuries left us with no rotation options in some departments and very little on the bench.

Not every player has to be same level, you can have 4 or 5 squad positions filled by players who'd only play in an emergency or against lower league sides in cups, like a 4th centre back, 3rd keeper, or 3rd striker. These may be experienced veterans like Klavan or developing youngsters like Grujic and Solanke.

But you definitely need a group of players who can be interchanged seamlessly, a couple of further quality options (even if not quite the same level), then the 4 or 5 emergency players in squad positions 21 to 25.

For me, to compete you need two quality options at 9, three for the wide forward positions, two for AM/10, five for CM, three for centre back, your full backs and of course keeper.

That's your main 18 man squad, to which you add the back up keepers, 4th centre back, back up full backs and a third striker, with maybe a utility player taking it to 25.

To me we're a 10 (Fekir), striker, winger and keeper short of that.

To take the current 23 to 25, presuming we keep 3 keepers (even if we buy and sell within that department) and with Can gone and two midfielders signed, we need to be signing the three outfield players outlined above on top of the two bought and releasing two players.

One of those would be Ings, with Solanke kept as the third striker, the other would be Lallana, Clyne or Klavan.

I think Klopp and Edwards have done a great job of building the squad to this point, although of course they've got to have a good summer again to finish off the job.

But I have to say it worries me how they left us short of forward options this season, initially by loaning Origi on the eve of the season, then loaning Sturridge in January. Yes they weren't going to contribute enough, but it was still an issue.

We finished the season with five forwards for three positions and only because we didn't suffer key injuries in that department did we not suffer as a result.

Last edited:

Flobs

FADA
What I'm interested in is usable players. In reality we had 20 usable outfield players after January (when signing VVD but selling/loaning Coutinho, Sturridge and Grujic took us down to 20 from 22). That includes those injured at the time, like Clyne and Lallana.

That's not enough, as we saw when 3 or 4 injuries left us with no rotation options in some departments and very little on the bench.

Not every player has to be same level, you can have 4 or 5 squad positions filled by players who'd only play in an emergency or against lower league sides in cups, like a 4th centre back, 3rd keeper, or 3rd striker. These may be experienced veterans like Klavan or developing youngsters like Grujic and Solanke.

But you definitely need a group of players who can be interchanged seamlessly, a couple of further quality options (even if not quite the same level), then the 4 or 5 emergency players in squad positions 21 to 25.

For me, to compete you need two quality options at 9, three for the wide forward positions, two for AM/10, five for CM, three for centre back, your full backs and of course keeper.

That's your main 18 man squad, to which you add the back up keepers, 4th centre back, back up full backs and a third striker, with maybe a utility player taking it to 25.

To me we're a 10 (Fekir), striker, winger and keeper short of that.

To take the current 23 to 25, presuming we keep 3 keepers (even if we buy and sell within that department) and with Can gone and two midfielders signed, we need to be signing the three outfield players outlined above on top of the two bought and releasing two players.

One of those would be Ings, with Solanke kept as the third striker, the other would be Lallana, Clyne or Klavan.

I think Klopp and Edwards have done a great job of building the squad to this point, although of course they've got to have a good summer again to finish off the job.

But I have to say it worries me how they left us short of forward options this season, initially by loaning Origi on the eve of the season, then loaning Sturridge in January. Yes they weren't going to contribute enough, but it was still an issue.

We finished the season with five forwards for three positions and only because we didn't suffer key injuries in that department did we not suffer as a result.
There's no real news on Sturridge and I think perhaps we are thinking of keeping him another year (means in theory we can delay buying a striker for a year however what does that serve if he can not play?)

I wouldn't get rid of Lallana or Klavan yet. I doubt Klopp would let Clyne or Ings go. Which brings us back to loaning out Grujic or Kent (Kent probably up until Jan at least). so that the one spot can be found for an incoming winger.

I would let Sturridge go and get a new striker in but it costs and we will have to pay over the odds for at least 1 incomer. I believe a few might think we over paid for Fabinho though I think it was reasonable. We did pay a bit over the odds for Kieta so as to secure him (as for quality/price on that I haven't a clue and am looking forward to finding out).

Lot's of waffle, sorry, I am interested how all this will pan out and how others think/feel it should. :)

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Bogdan, Adam Free agent
Bogdan's got another year left mate. lol

One of the saddest piece of business we've made, even on a free.

MarcusBerglund

I will keep most of the players, because past shows that we struggle for number at the end of the seasons with Klopp at the helm. The high-octane football we play takes too much from the players and injuries are something to be expected.

I will definitely keep one between Ward and Karius and the club must sign a top class goalkeeper to be successful /means winning trophies/. VvD's transfer showed that the right player can transform the club and move LFC forward. Price is important, but I am tired of compromises.
And I am really happy that Klopp is doing the same thing at the moment.

In defence we are relatively solid:

TAA, Gomez and Clyne options for right back. Well, these 3 have different qualities and in a long and exhausting season every one ofg them will be important. And Nathaniel will be flying after a full preseason with Klopp, mark my words he will be a different player from what we witnessed for the last 2 months.

VvD, Matip, Lovren and Klavan are ok on paper, but an injury of our big Dutchman and memories will arise about the first 3 months of our last campaign. Matip and Lovren are injury prone and Klavan is not getting younger. Gomez in my opinion is not ready to play as a central defender, he has to improve massively his positioning and awareness. If we could add someone like Pavard, Upamecano or Boateng it could be fantastic news, but their price is too high and there are more pressing issues for Klopp.

Robertson and Moreno are two very good options for left back. Last season showed that with age and time Alberto improved and before his injury the only game he looked out of his depth was Sevilla away. We have one of the best left backs in Europe and more than a decent deputy. Keep Moreno and renew his contract if you ask me /next season he will be a free agent/.

In Midfield:

Signing Fabinho and Keita brings a solid and nice improvement. But still we lost Can and AOC is injured at least till November and after such a long time he will have the usual difficulties - Lallana and Clyne suffered from the same problems this season. And the prospect of having these 3 in midfeid is mouthwatering. Fabinho /24 years old/, Keita /23 years old/ and AOC /24 years old/ - just enetering their prime years in football, this trio complete each other perfectly and they will give us speed, power, agility, pressing ability and sheer power and explosivness.
And I will still keep Lallana, Milner, Hendo and Gini, great options for a rotation. In my opinion next season Adam will take AOC's role and he will have a very good season. Some people think that he is finished but is far away from the truth. Lallana is still a perfect player for Klopp's system.

Grujic, Woodburn, Taiwo /btw there is a very good article in Goal for our nigerian forward/ - could benefit from a loan, especially Ben who stagnated this season, spending too much either on the rehabilitation table or on the bench.

In attack I will keep, Salah, Mane, Firmino and Solanke, but that is not enough at all. Solanke is improving but at a relatively slow pace. And we have zero options, if Mane and Salah are injured. We miss quality wingers. Lallana and AOC are not the right options /Salah's injury vs. Real totally changed the course of the game, Lallana is much more comfortable in central position/. I'd like to see someone like Bailey, Pulisic, Reus, Werner, Draxler, Thauvin /I know that he was unsuccessful at Newcastle - they gave him only 3 starts, but with the right manager and environment he could be a beast/, Lemar /still like him/.
Wilson could be an option, but in my opinion he needs another loan in PL if possible. Kent was also very good playing for Barnsley, but this season he failed at Freiburg and Bristol City.

If I was the boss:

Players for sale - Mignolet, Karius, Bogdan, Flanagan, Randall, Markovic, Kent, Ejaria, Ojo, Allan, Chirivella, Sturridge, Origi and Ings.
Hopefully these players could generate at least 50 mln. pounds.

And we must add - new goalkeeper of the highest possible quality. No more compromises /Allison, Courtois, Oblak. If we fail with them - Leno is a cheaper and decent option. But players such as Butland and Strakosha won't bring improvement and will ba another waste of money/.

At least on offensive player, capable of playing on the wings, so he could rotate with Mane and Salah and while we rotate we must not lose our speed and quality in attack.

Someone like Fekir could be a nice option especially in midfield /he is a typical number 10/ or in attack, where he could be a nice option for Firmino. Nabil played a lot of games as a false 9 for Lyon this season. But I don't think that he will be the perfect player if one between of Mane and Salah is unavailable. Fekir's lack of speed is obvious. So, I would add the type of player similar to Pulisic, Werner or Bailey.

My top 3 wishlist - Allison, Fekir, Bailey. These 3 will add everything we need for a long and successful campaign.

Bonus signing - someone like Pavard, young player with potential who could still improve our defence.

Flobs

FADA
Bogdan's got another year left mate. lol

One of the saddest piece of business we've made, even on a free.
Ok, if he gets named in the squad I need suggestions of silly things I can do (which can not include eating my pubic hairs as I've already said that if we buy Dembele I would do that). :unhappy:

Flobs

FADA
Players for sale - Mignolet, Karius, Bogdan, Flanagan, Randall, Markovic, Kent, Ejaria, Ojo, Allan, Chirivella, Sturridge, Origi and Ings.
Hopefully these players could generate at least 50 mln. pounds.
Why sell U21s?
Allan is a strange one as he can not work in the UK anyway so will never play for us imo.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Players to sell: 9 players
Origi, Sturridge, Markovic, Flanno, Randall, Mignolet, Ward, Bogdan, Can.

Players to loan: 8 players
Kent, Ojo, Wilson, Taiwo, Grujic, Ejaria, Pedro, Allan

Players to keep: 21 players
Firm, Salah, Mane, Solanke, Ings*, Ox*, Lallana*, Hendo*, Milner*, Wij, TAA, Robertson*, Clyne*, Moreno, VVD, Matip, Lovren, Klavan, Gomez*, Karius.
(* -homegrown. Does Gomez qualify yet?)
+ Woodburn (how did I miss him!)

Players already in/ to be bought - Keita, Fabinho, GK (oblak/allison), 2 wingers/AM (Dembele/pulisic/bailey/Fekir).

That brings us to 25 players with 8 homegrown. For keeping things simple, I Iidn't consider CL player quota for this, as it's pretty different from PL one.

Last edited:

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Imho players like Lallana, Clyne, Moreno, Ings are squad players who can help us during cup games, injuries, fatigue and when we play 2/3 games per week. The word 'squad players' aptly define them and we shouldn't sell them yet unless we replace them. Replacing them is not a priority now as we are now looking at bringing in 4-5 players who would take us to the next level in this season.
Eventually these squad players should be replaced with younger/more capable players, but not right now, imho.

Zico Nealy

Leaving...Migs, Flanno, Can, Raggy, Origi, Markovic, Studge, Ings if we buy a forward, Randall, Bogdan.
Joining...new GK ?, Fabinho,Kieta, maybe Fekir and a striker.

I would keep Karius and bring in someone who can challenge and if needed replace him, such as Butland rather than an expensive, fancied, but untried in EPL keeper like the ones we are linked with at the moment.
I’d like to see Ward loaned out unless JK thinks he can step up and challenge for No 1 next season.

Gotta say though, this is one of the most promising transfer windows this millenium