Who would you keep ?

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I would keep everyone bar our 'keepers. Ship the lot of 'em out I say.

Migs, Karius, Ward and the magnificent Bogdan :wave:
Migs and Bogdan I agree. Not too sure about Ward as I haven't seen enough of him, was brilliant for Huddersfield the year they won promotion, but then spend a year doing sfa and couldn't even dislodge Migs from the bench.

Karius I would be happy to keep on the prevision that we sack Achterberg and bring in a top quality GK coach. If we stick with Achterberg, then it wouldn't matter who the goalkeeper is, they will regress and turn to shite.

Flobs

FADA
Karius I would be happy to keep on the prevision that we sack Achterberg and bring in a top quality GK coach. If we stick with Achterberg, then it wouldn't matter who the goalkeeper is, they will regress and turn to shite.
Could we also put metal pegs in his fingers and wrists. That might relieve some of my worries about him.
Then again much easier just to keep Mignolet.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Could we also put metal pegs in his fingers and wrists. That might relieve some of my worries about him.
Then again much easier just to keep Mignolet.
I'd prefer to see what a proper goalkeeping coach can do with Karius, where as Migs I just don't think he is a keeper that can play behind a high defensive line.

Flobs

FADA
I'd prefer to see what a proper goalkeeping coach can do with Karius, where as Migs I just don't think he is a keeper that can play behind a high defensive line.
You just can not do anything with a goalkeeper who has jelly/rubber hands and wrists. Karius just hasn't the physical attributes to be a a decent goalie let alone one for LFC. There just isn't any point continuing with him imo.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
You just can not do anything with a goalkeeper who has jelly/rubber hands and wrists. Karius just hasn't the physical attributes to be a a decent goalie let alone one for LFC. There just isn't any point continuing with him imo.
Yet 3 seasons ago, he was one of the top young German keepers, and was the 2nd best keeper in the Bundesliga. So there must be something else at play, hence why I want to give him time and replace Achterberg with a top goalkeeping coach. If in 12 months he is not improving then we can sell and bring in someone, but at this point, we have not seen 1 goalkeeper improve under the tutelage of JA, and infact they all seem to regress until such time that they move on and get away from him

Flobs

FADA
Yet 3 seasons ago, he was one of the top young German keepers, and was the 2nd best keeper in the Bundesliga. So there must be something else at play, hence why I want to give him time and replace Achterberg with a top goalkeeping coach. If in 12 months he is not improving then we can sell and bring in someone, but at this point, we have not seen 1 goalkeeper improve under the tutelage of JA, and infact they all seem to regress until such time that they move on and get away from him
None of that changes his physical attributes. Also all that you say is very discutable.
We'll see however personally I don't see any future at LFC for Karius and think we should stop wasting every bodies time.
Achterberg might be a problem however if that's the case what is wrong with keeping Mignolet, who we know is physically capable, under a new coach?

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
None of that changes his physical attributes. Also all that you say is very discutable.
We'll see however personally I don't see any future at LFC for Karius and think we should stop wasting every bodies time.
Achterberg might be a problem however if that's the case what is wrong with keeping Mignolet, who we know is physically capable, under a new coach?
Migs is not a keeper capable of playing the sweeper role that Karius does. Plus he is a keeper that excels when having a deep defensive line given opponents little sight of goal before they get a shot away. As soon as the defence starts pushing up he gets exposed to more targets shots and as we have all seen, is not up to the task. Karius also is more comfortable playing the ball out with his feet than Migs so is better equipt to helps us build up our attacks from the back.

Flobs

FADA
Migs is not a keeper capable of playing the sweeper role that Karius does. Plus he is a keeper that excels when having a deep defensive line given opponents little sight of goal before they get a shot away. As soon as the defence starts pushing up he gets exposed to more targets shots and as we have all seen, is not up to the task. Karius also is more comfortable playing the ball out with his feet than Migs so is better equipt to helps us build up our attacks from the back.
So both should go. :Jlol

Reactions: jem

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Because he's not very good?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I would ask who isn't very good however it appears none of them are very good. :J
You ended with a specific question so I answered it: "if that's the case what is wrong with keeping Mignolet, who we know is physically capable, under a new coach?"

Mignolet isn't very good (his shot stopping is a myth, he loses concentration due to periods of inactivity too much to be a shot stopper at a club like ours) and he plays the position wrong for us. He plays too deep and is too slow and obvious when releasing the ball. We play better as a side without him even if Karius isn't what I'd call world class. With Mignolet we concede about 4/5 shots on target per game with Karius it's 1 or 2 on average. That's helped Karius be the statistically hardest keeper to score against in the league last season out of keepers that started ten or more games.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
2 things to consider :
1. Fabinho, Keita, Fekir - are new players at the club and even more, new to the PL. We know it takes time for players to adapt to the PL and Klopp's style. It took Firmino 2 seasons to really shine. it took Ox and Robo a few month as well to get acclimated to Klopp's system and they know the PL.
they might hit the ground running, they might not. I wouldn't pin all my hopes on all of them doing a Salah. Add to that the fact Ox is injured for the first couple of month of the season ( and some more time to get the rust off ) and suddenly Lallana is our only creative attacking midfielder.
2. Funny how Lallana is going to be 30 so he is the old man and should be sold after Milner has proven to the entire world ( myself included ) what an old has been can do. I wouldn't write Lallana off so quickly.
Sorry... been too busy to reply (life happened).

On Fabinho, Keita and Fekir (or whoever joins): with the fees paid, they will be playing sooner than later whether they adjust quickly or need to play to adjust thus it will still affect the other's playing times.

On Lallana: based on Klopp's history of using players, he will be eased back (3 consecutive hamstring injuries in a bit over a year). I'm actually not against keeping him but basically I'm of the opinion that keeping anyone over 30, who is not going to get 10 starts, and is blocking the path of a youth player, is often pointless unless for his leadership. Based on the log-jam we have I'm not sure Lallana gets that.

Lallana was fit enough to be on the bench for us mid-December but didn't get any starts and finally suffered another injury on March 31 coming off the bench.

Soyasource

Absolutely no way would I move on Ragnar.

He is capable, content to be fourth/fifth choice and always fit. That’s worth it’s weight in gold, especially with a centre back.
Nothing against Klavan, he's always held his ground, but between VVD, Matip, Gomez and Lovern, I would rather bring in someone who could fight for his place than to settle for 5th choice.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Nothing against Klavan, he's always held his ground, but between VVD, Matip, Gomez and Lovern, I would rather bring in someone who could fight for his place than to settle for 5th choice.
But you can’t do that easily.

If you bring in someone better than Ragnar, then they’ll want to start a lot of games. Even if you persuade them to come and win a place, they’ll need convincing that battle is winnable

If they don’t win their place, the chances are they’ll want to get off. And if they do, they push down someone else who thinks they should be a starter and they’ll want to get off.

For most Coaches, I think lads like Klavan (Solskaer is the most famous one that comes to mind) are worth their weight in gold.

RedForever2014

If you bring in someone better than Ragnar, then they’ll want to start a lot of games. Even if you persuade them to come and win a place, they’ll need convincing that battle is winnable

If they don’t win their place, the chances are they’ll want to get off. And if they do, they push down someone else who thinks they should be a starter and they’ll want to get off.

For most Coaches, I think lads like Klavan (Solskaer is the most famous one that comes to mind) are worth their weight in gold.
Klavan's ideal for that pool of 6 or 7 back up players beyond the pool of 15 or 16 who can interchange to form a quality 11. Some of that pool in squad positions 17 to 25 can be veterans, some promising youngsters.

In fact, I think he's better than Matip.

For me, the answer in defence is to upgrade Matip to a De Ligt, a young centre back who can come in for Lovren when required and play cup games and who in 3 or 4 years will replace Lovren.

Klavan's the backup if the younger guy has a wobble, or VVD needs a rest.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Klavan was excellent in that period just before Van Dijk signed, exactly what you'd want from your least favoured centre back. An upgrade is not required. Plus, he's the only left footer out of the lot, which helps for balance.

I'd give Matip one more season to see if he can improve. He was much better in 16/17 than 17/18 so there's reason to believe he can. Gomez may step up too.

Limiescouse

There is a real human part of the game people too often under value. Going to a big club and then never playing is hard to deal with if you were led to believe things would be different. It's difficult to train well under those circumstances, and that impacts everyone. That's why older pros who accept their role like Sami was by the end, or someone like Klavan is now are so valuable and difficult to replace.

Soyasource

Definitely not easy but possible and I think you see it with Klopp in charge. If you look at our current midfield options, Keita, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Milner, Gini, Lallana and Fabinho, I’m not sure I can find a player in that group that would be okay with being 5th, 6th or 7th choice. To be competing for four trophies it’s vital he gets his team playing the style he wants without dropping the quality when he needs to shuffle his lineup.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
Definitely not easy but possible and I think you see it with Klopp in charge. If you look at our current midfield options, Keita, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Milner, Gini, Lallana and Fabinho, I’m not sure I can find a player in that group that would be okay with being 5th, 6th or 7th choice. To be competing for four trophies it’s vital he gets his team playing the style he wants without dropping the quality when he needs to shuffle his lineup.
Yes many of those players will likely want out after it becomes clear they are unlikely to feature regularly. Then we will likely sell them...

Even more reason to keep a solid player like Klavan who doesn't complain.

Sweeting

Anyone not happy with being 6th or 7th choice either proves that rating of them wrong or can move away on our terms. It is part and parcel of being at a club challenging for trophies that you cannot ever be guaranteed your position.

When Chelsea or Man Utd have squad depth we (rightly) bemoan how strong they are. When we have squad depth we panic that our 6th choice midfielder might want to leave! Enjoy it.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Striking department:

I'd keep Origi, send Solanke on loan and sell Sturridge and Ings

big noyd

sturridge is in the last year of his deal, doubt anyone will pony up even 8m for him

i'd keep him and if he's fit give him the occasional start in cup games, midweek fixtures, before or after CL weeks, etc

would never have him on the bench, think using him a sub is asking for tendon/muscle trouble

King Kev

I think Origi has not developed enough since since his first season here. Solanke is still very raw and isn't even as ready as Origi.

The best option would probably be to sell Origi, Sturridge and Ings while sending Solanke on loan. This may enable us to invest in a good enough player who comes into our front 3 when needed without having the effect of bringing the level down.

But selling Sturridge may prove to be difficult at the price the club is looking for. He is being tried as a second striker these days but from the last 2 seasons, we have seen Klopp has barely used him even when he was available.

I think there will be takers for Ings and Origi while Solanke probably needs a loan to a Championship club to gain experience and regular game time.

Pins88

Keep:
Karius
Ward
Clyne
Trent
Van Dijk
Lovren
Gomez
Matip
Robertson
Moreno
Ox
Wijnaldum
Henderson
Lallana
Milner
Salah
Mane
Firmino
Wilson
Origi

Sell:
Mignolet
Bogdan
Klavan
Sturridge
Markovic
Ings
Origi
Chirivella

Loan:
Grujic
Woodburn
Solanke
Ejaria

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
I think Origi has not developed enough since since his first season here. Solanke is still very raw and isn't even as ready as Origi.

The best option would probably be to sell Origi, Sturridge and Ings while sending Solanke on loan. This may enable us to invest in a good enough player who comes into our front 3 when needed without having the effect of bringing the level down.

But selling Sturridge may prove to be difficult at the price the club is looking for. He is being tried as a second striker these days but from the last 2 seasons, we have seen Klopp has barely used him even when he was available.

I think there will be takers for Ings and Origi while Solanke probably needs a loan to a Championship club to gain experience and regular game time.
I can only agree, we got a severe gab in quality in Firmino and the other ones. Origi wasn't the answer, Solanke isn't the answer. Ings and Sturridge are literally passengers by now and should not be considered for anything other than early cup games. We need some proper talent up there pushing Firmino for the spot. Think it's about time for a reunion with Klopp and Lewandowski if he's overlooked by madrid yet again. His time is coming to an end for Bayern I reckon, though they will do their best to keep hold of him I think he will want a new challenge.

Red Tiger

Having watched all three pre-season games, I have been quite impressed with Sturridge so far. Whilst I was initially thinking Origi and Brewster would provide enough cover for Firmino through the season, on second thoughts, I'd probably be more comfortable seeing both Sturridge and Solanke instead. Sturridge for his obvious quality even if he is available for only 50% of the games and Solanke for the plan B option when required. I guess that would probably mean selling Origi and Ings and loaning Brewster. And thats without considering the other choice to sell/ loan all these options and buy from the market but I'd rather see Fekir and Alisson in before any other investments. I am watching this 'squad striker' battle very keenly and will be interesting to see what Klopp decides.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Having watched all three pre-season games, I have been quite impressed with Sturridge so far. Whilst I was initially thinking Origi and Brewster would provide enough cover for Firmino through the season, on second thoughts, I'd probably be more comfortable seeing both Sturridge and Solanke instead. Sturridge for his obvious quality even if he is available for only 50% of the games and Solanke for the plan B option when required. I guess that would probably mean selling Origi and Ings and loaning Brewster. And thats without considering the other choice to sell/ loan all these options and buy from the market but I'd rather see Fekir and Alisson in before any other investments. I am watching this 'squad striker' battle very keenly and will be interesting to see what Klopp decides.
Imho DS, Origi and Ings are not up to the required quality or fitness level and will be sold. Solanke and Brewster will get chances in cup games and will make bench in few other games. Bobby will be main striker with Fekir/Dybala/Alternative as the second choice. If we couldn't get any of above and Bobby needs rest, probably Salah will be the striker with Shaqiri playing on the right.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Imho DS, Origi and Ings are not up to the required quality or fitness level and will be sold. Solanke and Brewster will get chances in cup games and will make bench in few other games. Bobby will be main striker with Fekir/Dybala/Alternative as the second choice. If we couldn't get any of above and Bobby needs rest, probably Salah will be the striker with Shaqiri playing on the right.
Agree with all of the above except I think Solanke will be on loan.