• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Winning Mentality

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
Wrinkle,

it's a bit hard to buy solid replacements for Arbeloa, Xabi and Sami when the manager is fighting a losing battle against 2 owners who a) couldn't get along B) didn't want to spend c) not keeping promises to the manager to buy the players he needed.

To be fair though, I felt rafa screwed up big time in his man management of Xabi towards the end that led to Xabi wanting to leave. But in defence of Rafa, Xabi had a poor season prior to the discussions of transfering him and wanting to bring Barry in...it was only after all that nonsense that Xabi had an outstanding season and he wanted a transfer to Madrid.

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
Been replaced with an excuse ridden jam tomorrow mentality. It's like waiting for Godot here now

Club hasn't coped well with adversity. May have been other teams out there which could have ridden the last few years out better than we have done, but there is a weakness in the mindset and a difficulty in acknowledging responsibility and mistakes

Perhaps a little oo much false pride and a tendency to blame outside influences too much (refs etc) has not helped. We have kind of forgotten what we once were and have retreated in to over protectiveness and delusion

Needs someone now and again to say it how it is from time to time. Like the attitude of the players is not appropriate for a club of this level and while owners are well meaning up to a point and did save us from the last lot it doesn't ean they have a free pass to turn us in to a mid table club. Our revenues are in the top 10 in the world and the club is 3rd or 4th best supported. Stop telling us that 4m for Clint Dempsey is the height of our ambitions

And please, less of the excuses. Excuses are what is killing his club. They are endless and getting worse
Like my grandfather used to say, shit or get off the pot.

DEVGRU

Agreed. In the long run, the fish rots from the head. In the main match thread, I did say that I think Rodgers may have been better served taking the Spurs job. At least Levy can sign players instead of lame arsing around like the useless bastards we have

But in the end, I think a winning mentality and excuses are like chalk and cheese ultimately. Excuses have become way too dominant a feature at all levels. Know choices are limited right now but there does need to be a greater willingness to accept responsibility at all levels of the club, support, to playing staff, managers, owners, everything

There is still too much of a blame outsiders for our own fuck ups culture going on here, it's deeply ingrained and it's taking us down

Owners need to stop thinking they are so clever when they arein football terms clueless and take some advice from people who know football and employ football savvy people, whatever the cost

Manager may need to be a bit more pragmatic and stop persisting with bad experiments, and stop praising average performances

Fans may need to stop overrating average players and stop the poisonous evertonianesque attitude towards officials etc, and accept some people are doing things better and more effectively than us sometimes

Players need to stop abdicating responsibility on the pitch. Hiding isn't acceptable

That would be a start, can build up from there but perhaps there is too much pride at stake to admit properly to past errors, that's my concern. It's too easy for people to pretend there isn't a problem and take comfort in jam tomorrow, when an attitude shift is most sorely needed.

Spitfires and Hurricanes I dare say old boy....SpItfire and Hurricanes.

Dr_J

TIA Reserve Team
I honestly think Gerrard is depressed or something. He used to have a fire. He wouldn't even smile if we had won the match, there was still business to be done. It's almost like he knows there is no chance and he just wants to enjoy himself. Odd really. Certainly not what we need out of our captain at this point in time. He needs a break.

I don't see any emotion in anyone's game besides Luis. I understand that some players quietly like to go about their business, but I don't even see any frustration when mistakes are made, or even when someone else makes a mistake, except for Luis. Too much negativity sucks, but today I watched someone smash a cross field ball to Downing who didn't have the confidence to take it off the bounce, and instead let it go out of play. I screamed at the TV. Downing turns around and gives the ole' thumbs up to whoever played the ball. Honestly... WTF is that. How do you just screw up and go oh, darn, well, good try.

I was celebrating as Skrtel took his card today when he just hacked the piss out of Dempsey. What a stupid foul, and if Gallas had done that to Gerrard I would have been calling for a red. But Skrtel knew Dempsey had flopped earlier, and probably just said "**** this guy" and hit him. I'm not calling for stupid fouls, but we need a little rage, a little fire. Luis has it all of the time. If one person doesn't though, everyone's game drops. All of a sudden Luis has to worry about hurting Downing's feelings, and instead of expecting a brilliant ball, he thinks pessimistically and maybe doesn't make that run to get in behind because he knows Downing won't get it to him, or maybe he tries to dribble four guys because he doesn't trust Henderson with the ball in the box. Who wants to cross the ball to a guy that's scared?

This is mentality and it's destroying us. If you want to talk about comparing Utd to us, or even Utd to City, it's mentality. The Da Silva twins look like their four years old, but they have fire. I hate those guys, but they will bite your head off to steal the ball from you. That center midfield is trash, but they have mentality. Utd get beat if they don't show up with it. They take it as an insult when they get beat. van Persie left Arsenal over mentality, along with the rest of them. It truly makes a team.

Part of me wants to ask if mentality might be the reason nobody celebrated with Suarez against Chelsea.

At the very least we need Gerrard to go back to being Gerrard. And I'm not talking about the Gerrard that was world class in his younger days, I'm talking about the Gerrard that would double tackle Jagielka, or even foul the piss out of someone to make a statement. I'm not sure if that's ever going to happen, but we need it so bad. That fire has gone out since the club sold Alonso and then killed it completely with the selling of Torres.

DEVGRU

I was celebrating as Skrtel took his card today when he just hacked the piss out of Dempsey. What a stupid foul, and if Gallas had done that to Gerrard I would have been calling for a red. But Skrtel knew Dempsey had flopped earlier, and probably just said "**** this guy" and hit him.
Go back and watch the match again and you will see why

a) he took Dempsey out
B) why the liverpool supporters were cheering when he got the yellow

Rewind the incident back 20 seconds and then watch.

You will have your answer to your question.

Dr_J

TIA Reserve Team
Go back and watch the match again and you will see why

a) he took Dempsey out
B) why the liverpool supporters were cheering when he got the yellow

Rewind the incident back 20 seconds and then watch.

You will have your answer to your question.
I'm sorry? I actually was pleased to see Dempsey get his legs hacked out... Maybe I'm not understanding correctly.

DEVGRU

I'm sorry? I actually was pleased to see Dempsey get his legs hacked out... Maybe I'm not understanding correctly.

Maybe you could care less this SAME referee has shafted us all game long and all season long thus far. That's 6 claims for a penalty all season HE has turned down. 6 clear cut penalty calls all season.

And yes, we were actually cheering when Skerts took him out from behind to prevent what could possibly have been a 3rd goal for Spurs..because the irony of it all from the same referee who just won't give us a break.

I can care less about Dempsey rolling about on the floor..I am more concerned about my team not getting correct decisions given by the match official in question time and time again.

OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

lancashirelad

It is an absolutely dreadful thing is it not?

We are going through our worst patch of football for some time, not only on the pitch, but as a club on the whole. The negativity we see is infectious and at times, depressing. This is spreading through the whole fan base, coursing through the players and there is now a real belief that we are an average team; added to the fact that teams have lost their fear of coming to Anfield.

Hindsight, as brilliant as it may be, may make you wonder about what could have happened had something been done differently and one of the things thrown up into the air is whether we ever intended to sign anyone on the last day of the window, if we did and we failed to do it, it falls on the shoulders of the Idiot Ayre.

Remember BR saying something like "I need control, that when I do my best" ? well as sure as hell he wasn't in control that day of the transfer window so let's give him a break But how often does hindsight help you solve a problem unless it is a recurring event?

What we are seeing right now, the loss of momentum, the misery, mixed with the love, the affair between fans and manager and players is weak, very weak, it's tough to look forward to games anymore, the way everything should have been pieced together, it didn't work.

We saw players yesterday (Stevie especially) completely frustrated. We went through our darkest times in recent years, many promises were broken and at times, the fans were left wondering what was becoming of their beloved club.

But take a step back and see where we've been..

Our new owners swooped in at a time when the value of LFC was at a down low and depending on how you look at it, it was a real swindle of epic proportions. We are a great club with true tradition and a global fan base. It was the best deal that the then NESV, now FSG, could have got. They took us out of the hands of wretched owners whose time here best be forgotten and slowly, the cogs started turning.
We had Roy who really perhaps, was here at the wrong time and we went through some truly horrific performances on the field and fault should be shared by everyone. But when it all seemed to work against us, yet again, we had the King installed into the hot seat. There were questions over his legendary status should he not succeed with the club. Back then, the timing of the King's return, there really was nothing much to lose. He believed and he knew, he would answer the call to LFC. It was a match made in heaven. I believed that he will bring back the good times to LFC . It made the motivation and the mood change that much more to have a club legend that many respected to be back at the helm. It really wouldn't have been that sweet had it happened earlier. At least, that is what I believe.

Yes things at the moment, could be better at this club. We have owners now who don't understand the fans, I often ask if they are willing to learn and understand at all or even have the same model of success that the fans believe in. Ours is on the pitch, theirs is on the book balancing, FSG they can go together you know. Stop looking at players as a cost, look at them as an investment! Yes I know you've been burned, Damien thought he'd won the jackpot when he came to Liverpool, and I suggest to you shrank immediately back into your shell after last season, but its time to come out again, we need your financial backing and support

You need to know, that, as a club, we never really do things the easy way. Just think of the three recent trophies we've won, the FA Cup, the Champions League and the league cup. We took it to the absolute brink. We don't know easy. We do it hard. We are LFC, we are built and associated to a working class city and that is how it is, we fight to achieve and eventually achieve we will. I grew up in the glory days, I know what it feels like and its not this!.

Make no mistake. Hindsight is wonderful at times, but when it bears no good to the future, it is better left behind and concentration on the here and now will be a more fruitful event. BER has tried to turn our club a whole 180 degrees, it may not be working we are all in it together now, we have no choice (at least the true fans, not the plastic kind).

Times may get harder, our club needs us, as its fans, as its 12th man, to be with it through thick and thin and right now, we, yourselves and BR are the future of LFC. Turn back the clocks and I would have it no other way. I've learnt to accept the cards that life has dealt me but I think LFC, right now, is headed in a mid table direction. The stars are not aligning but I truly believe that we are not far from greatness again, maybe next season or the season after. I may be wrong, but I don't think I am wrong in thinking that we have a chance to make it back to the top. We do. We just need BR to see that vision and FSG to support him and appoint a GM in Liverpool who doesn't do things on a spreadsheet every bloody day. (Easy to write difficult to do)

But, today it all seems to me like winning the war and then in a few short months totally throw it all away and then hypocritically carrying on in remembrance of what used to be without truly understanding or really caring but in their mind I see " let's just continue the facade because nobody really cares a dam anyway". Wrong, we're human, we have feelings we hurt right now.

Our future is in our hands, the fans, the players, the club. I hope and pray, next season, I can come back to look at this and say, this, this truly was the club's turning point. I believe in this club and my love and affection for LFC is right up there. I'm proud. I'm proud to be a fan of the best club in world football and to be among all of you on TIA as fans of this historic club. And long may it continue.