• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Worst Liverpool player you ever saw play ?

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Re Dudek. He was a big game player to an extent. League cup final v Utd in 02 and the CL final in 05 he pulled off some great saves and kept us in it. He got motm in 03. Seemed that concentration wasn't his strong point which resulted in silly goals being conceded but without him we may not not have triumphed in 02 or 05.
My own opinion is I don't see how someone who did the above can be labelled as worst seen play for us, but each to their own.
Nobody has, have they?

D Fred

Stewart turned out to have truly been battling some real demons - he was a victim of Bennell's at City as a youth player.
Feel a little guilty digging him out now you have reminded me of that. I may have read it somewhere when the other allegations surfaced but didn't make the connection when typing my post, truly horrific stuff.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Thought I read a few posts naming Dudek. If I am wrong then I have rambled on unnecessarily in my previous post!
I think he was at the same level as Karius but then I place them both as being only behind Alisson, Reina and James in the keepers we've had over the last 20 years with at least 15 being worse than them.

Just had a quick look back and Dudek has been mentioned a fair bit, so I would have said it's safe to say a player mentioned several times in this particular thread has been suggested as the worst ever.
The reason Dudek was mentioned at all was in the comparison between him and Karius. @William Clarke thinks Karius is the worst player he's ever seen play for Liverpool whereas I don't.

Nobody, however, has ever said they thought Dudek was the worst ever player for us.

roydom

TIA Reserve Team
I think he was at the same level as Karius but then I place them both as being only behind Alisson, Reina and James in the keepers we've had over the last 20 years with at least 15 being worse than them.

The reason Dudek was mentioned at all was in the comparison between him and Karius. @William Clarke thinks Karius is the worst player he's ever seen play for Liverpool whereas I don't.

Nobody, however, has ever said they thought Dudek was the worst ever player for us.
Ah then I have rambled, but most of what I wrote is salvageable!

David James was so frustrating. Had an the attributes to be an amazing keeper but focus and concentration. I'd have him behind Dudek.

Anyone else remember when Stuart Pearce played David James up front for City??

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Feel a little guilty digging him out now you have reminded me of that. I may have read it somewhere when the other allegations surfaced but didn't make the connection when typing my post, truly horrific stuff.
The feeling of guilt is understandable, I felt the same way. I sort of recall Stewart as being a player who was going to be part of renewal under Souness, a guy taking a step up in his career - who it turned out just could not hack it. That step up to a nominally contending LFC side was what really made him lose the last shreds of control he had over his life.

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
12 pages in this thread now,
we must have signed some amount of crap players!

Has Torben Piechnik had a mention yet?

And a question for the statisticians on here,
How many of the players mentioned in this thread are Graeme Souness signings?

Kenny Dalglish LFC Legend

It's a toss up between Souness and Roy's signings which is quite an achievement for Roy considering he was only here 6 months.

D Fred

The feeling of guilt is understandable, I felt the same way. I sort of recall Stewart as being a player who was going to be part of renewal under Souness, a guy taking a step up in his career - who it turned out just could not hack it. That step up to a nominally contending LFC side was what really made him lose the last shreds of control he had over his life.
Thanks. I'm just glad I didn't lay into him in my post, it's easy to get carried sometimes.

Watching Stewart at the time, even without any knowledge of his experiences, was arresting, I definitely remember his inability to even perform the basics for Liverpool striking me as extraordinary based on watching him prior to his transfer from Spurs where he was excellent.

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member

At some point I plan to go back over the pages and add up the scores. It would also be interesting to add up their transfer fees and wages but that would take a long time and the information on their wages probably not easily available.

My absolute guess is the transfer fees alone for the names on this list will come to £250m - £500m plus if you adjust for inflation and their wages another £250m on top so maybe £500m - £750m in today’s money. That was all paid by our tickets, shirts and sky subscriptions. All pissed away on shit footballers. For every signing that works out for the club quite a big number don’t. Still it could be worse, I expect other clubs can compile equally long and expensive lists without our compensating success.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Thanks. I'm just glad I didn't lay into him in my post, it's easy to get carried sometimes.

Watching Stewart at the time, even without any knowledge of his experiences, was arresting, I definitely remember his inability to even perform the basics for Liverpool striking me as extraordinary based on watching him prior to his transfer from Spurs where he was excellent.
It was hard for me to follow that era of player, back in the early 90's in North America it was by and large mostly highlights packages, with perhaps 3-4 matches a season available on tape delay, so never really had the visibility that I did living in Europe a decade earlier. I mostly recall him as one of a slate of Souness transfers who ended up being disappointing according to the journalists. But your description rings true with some of his own comments. Sometimes, there are some truly tragic stories behind this 'worst/disappointing' LFC careers.

And then there is Diouf...he is just a dickhead.

D Fred

It was hard for me to follow that era of player, back in the early 90's in North America it was by and large mostly highlights packages, with perhaps 3-4 matches a season available on tape delay, so never really had the visibility that I did living in Europe a decade earlier. I mostly recall him as one of a slate of Souness transfers who ended up being disappointing according to the journalists. But your description rings true with some of his own comments. Sometimes, there are some truly tragic stories behind this 'worst/disappointing' LFC careers.

And then there is Diouf...he is just a dickhead.
Diouf was the King of Dickheads & such an unnecessary signing, I'm convinced that 2001 team could have gone on to much greater things had they stayed together.

Last edited:

igor_piss_can

Not for me. When I think of players that we've had Karius is not one that is at the forefront of my mind. There's plenty of keepers ahead of him in that accolade in my opinion. Yeah he had some lapses and probably chose the worst possible game for it to happen but that doesn't mean he was bad. Not in my book anyway, especially when we had the likes of Bogdan who was a player shouldn't have got anywhere near the Premiership but there he was. Paid quite well too I imagine.

There's been a whole host of misfit players come through the gates of this club and I'm sure there will be more. I just hope there's not too many and we realise the error quickly. It is, in my opinion, the clubs failings that these players get signed in the first place. Be that a poor transfer strategy, philosophy or whatever. Quite often they are good square players that are asked to fit into a round hole. That doesn't work. Morientes for example.

And along that ilk, of players signed at a risk or were just flat out poor decisions, the grand master that is Balotelli must surely take the prize. here's probably a few others too, already mentioned in this thread. Cole, Aquilani, Keane and so on.
Don't think Robbie Keane deserves to be anywhere near the debate. Several classes above some of the dross mentioned in here, even during his Liverpool days

Danny Sarge

Bjorn Tore Kvarme.

I remember he a had a quality debut, but it pretty much went downhill after that. No composure, no technique, couldnt pass, rash in the tackle. Very bad defender.

Flobs

FADA
Paul Ince, I couldn't stand his stupid face reminded me of manure! :unhappy:

Last edited:

Nate90

There are many players I could choose from, there are players who tried hard despite not having the ability(Borini), there were players who didn't try despite having bags of talent(Balotelli) there were players who were just plain unlucky or didn't fit the teams style at the time but there is only one player I truly consider to have disgraced the club with with poor work rate, attitude and lack of ability and that was El Hadji Diouf, by far the worst player I have ever seen pull on the red shirt and don't get me started on the spitting incident against Celtic in the UEFA Cup. I was so pleased when Rafa came and loaned him out to Bolton.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
In the flesh it's got to be Kvarme... Though I did say to my mate that Stevie Gerrard lad looks a bit shit in a reserve match.

On TV Bogdan, the fact that I feel I could do just as well and not joke about it says it all, he isn't fit to play conference level football.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
Assaidi was a huge waste of time. Having said that, I can't remember if I even ever saw him play for us, so technically doesn't count.