Worst Liverpool player you ever saw play ?

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ the big dog's doodahs
We've had at least five worse keepers than him in the last 20 years (made it a bit easier for myself).
Yeah, I agree to a certain extent, but did any of those keepers cock up so badly in a Champions League Final? That's why I went for him. I would have most probably done a better job between the sticks than him on that awful, losing night.

FilthyBloke

Growing up I thought David Speedie was gash. Still do, tbf.
But didn’t he score on his debut at old Trafford?
And a hatrick against Everton (though I think it was only classed as two but he defo scores the one Molby was credited with..)
I remember him being almost half decent. But then I remember those goals I mentioned because I was at the games.
Maybe he was gash. I remember being a bit of an odd signing.

Flobs

FADA
Konchesky, Poulsen and Jovanovic were all shocking.
Poulsen definitely gave me the most nightmares. Karius might have got me there if he's not been repalced.
Missed half of Liverpool's matches at the time (of Poulsen) as I had my eyes shut.
Not sure if it really was the fault of the players or the manager at the time (Just didn't seem like LFC during that year). Who ever was responsible they really fucked up!

Flobs

FADA
Oh shit! I'm getting into the swing of this now.

Joe Allen and that waste of space Borini.

Biggest disappointment Joe Cole, pretty sure he only came to play a secret double agent (helping Chelsea and Man U) and taking fuck loads of cash from us in the process. :unhappy:

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Joe Cole great shout. Didn't he get a red like 5 minutes into his debut? He really couldn't run. Kewell for me was a big disappointment in the same way (but not at the top of the list). What a talented player when he was younger.

PaulRoJo

Supporter since 1990 still waiting for the league
Meijer was dreadful and Dundee was possibly worse. Not sure why we signed either but I remember a league game against man utd when Meijer was our fwd on the pitch. When you consider the strikers who preceded and followed, even in our worst periods, those guys stand out like an Everton player at a trophy presentation.

Kenny Dalglish LFC Legend

Hesky? Built like Frank Bruno had the strength of Frank Spencer ooh Betty.
Worst player? That's a tough one. There's some good candidates.
Konchesky was crap.
Piecnik terrible.
Kvarme awful.
Josémi say no more.
Jovanavic, the guy in the leopard skin with the pony tail.
I thought Ablett and Staunton were terrible until Nicky Tanner.
Jimmy Carthorse and David Speedie were truly gash.
Bogdan bad but never getting a game.
Goalie, can't remember his name. Black, French laughed his way through the Hillsborough anniversary.
Ruddock redeemed himself by scoring the equaliser against the mancs after being 3-0 down
How long have you guys got? Diomede, Cheyrou the biggest let down, told we were getting the new Zidane and ended up with more like the new Diomede.
I could go on but you get the picture.

Last edited:

Arminius

FSG PR plant

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ the big dog's doodahs

Biggest disappointment Joe Cole, pretty sure he only came to play a secret double agent (helping Chelsea and Man U) and taking fuck loads of cash from us in the process. :unhappy:
Yeah, and pointing Eden Hazard in Chelski's direction. Asshole Cole.

Noo Noo

Growing up I thought David Speedie was gash. Still do, tbf.
Yeah I remember that. For me it signaled the start of things not going well at the club from a playing / players perspective. It felt odd at the time and it proved that way too.

I had the same feelings with Keane and more recently Benteke.

Another one that was a bit of an odd one was Moses. I thought he was absolutely awful for us but fair play did better at Chelsea.

worth noting though that from my perspective these are all still decent players and most just turn out to be misfits or perhaps playing at a level that is that one or two steps too high.

Might be a bit of fun putting together a team of LFC misfits

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros

We hate Boroni in our house. Came on for Sunderland in injury time a couple of seasons ago and scored from a corner I recall which ruined my £1,000 accumulator. Never forgiven him.

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Yeah I remember that. For me it signaled the start of things not going well at the club from a playing / players perspective. It felt odd at the time and it proved that way too.

I had the same feelings with Keane and more recently Benteke.

Another one that was a bit of an odd one was Moses. I thought he was absolutely awful for us but fair play did better at Chelsea.

worth noting though that from my perspective these are all still decent players and most just turn out to be misfits or perhaps playing at a level that is that one or two steps too high.

Might be a bit of fun putting together a team of LFC misfits
Moses missed an absolute sitter very late on in the Palace game when the score was 3.3. Who knows what could have been if we had won that game.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Charles Itandje and he is in with a shout for worst player just for that.

For worst player I got to see play. I'm going to go with one of Konchesky or Poulsen for actually being first choice under Hodgson.
Itandje gets my vote indeed for what he did during that Hillsborough celebration.

Otherwise, Konchesky comes close second. He showed a quite unique combination of lack of talent and lack of commitment. On top of that, he couldn't keep his mother in check. For me, he's a telling symbol for the dismal tail-end of g+h's spell at the club.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Can’t believe the Heskey shouts.

On his day he was absolutely unplayable. Strength, speed, skill. He had the lot. Unfortunately what he also had was a chronic problem with self confidence. But he did have an 18month spell when he was the absolute bollocks.

He’ll never trouble anyone’s best player list. But he also shouldn’t be on anyone’s worst, not with lads like Poulsen, Konchesky, Degen, Dundee, Meijer, Ferri, Jovanovic, Carroll, Adam, Downing, Benteke, Kewell, Cole, Stewart, Saunders, itanje, Brad Smith, Bogdan, Diou, Biscan, Cheyrou, Borini, Diouf et al knocking about our history.

Could say the same for Joe Allen.

macca1970

Victor Moses.

I've written about him before (dug out my post from a post-match thread against Chelsea from 2018). Still valid now:

I hate Moses. When he played for us, he was so lethargic he was unbelievable. He came off a season with Rafa teaching him to do a Dirk Kuyt role as a wide forward. So Brendan bringing him in could have been a good move.

But when he came on loan, he played as if he wanted to be a forward who should do no defensive work. We all know his man city role (leading to Hendo getting red), but that was how he constantly played when bought on during that season. The wanker.

It took him another year in the wilderness to realise that he needs to put in the effort. This is what he had done in the past two years.

In today's match, he prevented Andy from getting forward. He played well.

If he gave an ounce of effort in 2013-14, things may have been different. He is a first class wanker.
Aly Cissokho was completely out of his depth that season, but at least he tried. Moses was just an exhibit A example of the mercenary type that Chelsea are (when they put in effort, they can win the title).

OhYaBeauty

Surprised how often Poulsen was mentioned relative to Konchesky. Fair play, Poulsen was shite but Konchesky was a total fraud who never should have seen the pitch.

Joe Cole for biggest waste of oxygen. My God he sucked down gas and contributed fuck all in return. Hard to believe he was ever a decent footballer.

Downing deserves many more mentions. Unlike many other features in this thread the fucker kept getting games for Liverpool and racked up a grand total of fuck all goals and assists (did manage to win quite a few throw-ins and a handful of corners) to truly prove how worthless he was. The others were found out for being shit and didn't play. We were in such a bad spot that we had to keep playing Stewie despite his obvious lack of confidence or ability. I think I speak for Rich when I say that Downing was the most indicative aspect of our mediocre years and we never should have bought him off Villa (whom Rich also despised).

We've had at least five worse keepers than him in the last 20 years (made it a bit easier for myself).
Is that a Macedonian Red reference? Have a like...

Can’t believe the Heskey shouts.

On his day he was absolutely unplayable. Strength, speed, skill. He had the lot. Unfortunately what he also had was a chronic problem with self confidence. But he did have an 18month spell when he was the absolute bollocks.

He’ll never trouble anyone’s best player list. But he also shouldn’t be on anyone’s worst, not with lads like Poulsen, Konchesky, Degen, Dundee, Meijer, Ferri, Jovanovic, Carroll, Adam, Downing, Benteke, Kewell, Cole, Stewart, Saunders, itanje, Brad Smith, Bogdan, Diou, Biscan, Cheyrou, Borini, Diouf et al knocking about our history.

Could say the same for Joe Allen.
Not sure what Brad Smith ever did to deserve a mention in this thread. Youth products who don't make the grade don't quite fit in with imposter footballers like Cole, Konchesky, Itandje and Downing.

igor_piss_can

Certainly not the worst player ever, but the player cutting the most forlorn figure, who kept having to play despite being so so far out of confidence was Emile heskey.

Not a bad footballer, fantastic guy, but I remember at his lowest point at this club i was like begging houllier to take him out of the firing line, poorly used, and then abused.....he didn’t say boo either.

He was they guy I’ve felt most sorry for.
Heskey was a great for us and at times did what seemed like a thankless job. Definitely agree with confidence being a big issue with him, when he was on it he was unplayable but at times when the crowd were getting on his back he found it difficult to put one foot in front of the other. With his role being to play off Owen it meant that he was never going to be a 20/30 goal a season striker which I'm guessing a lot of people would have expected with him being our record signing at the time.

It seems only recently that he's finally started to be appreciated by the majority of our supporters which is good, because some of the stick he used to get back in the day was a disgrace. A lot of it racial too

Last edited: