Xherdan Shaqiri (LW/RW) Stoke

What will Shaqiri be leaning on?

• Disillusioned looking Harry Wilson

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Mavis has been pledging the contract table, so that.

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Collective ‘Meh’.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • HIYH’s excited stiffy.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Melwood railings, not the high ones.

• There will be no lean - the lad is basically a Weebil.

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Klopp’s ankle.

• All the promo from the Fekir deal, hastily repurposed.

• Gigantic (or not?) bottle of slim fast.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Tearful Neil Atkinson.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • A treadmill, vomiting.

• Emre’s leftover hair gel.

Votes: 15 18.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jgw_geneseo

Expert YouTube scout
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...l-interested-xherdan-shaqiri-stoke-relegation

Liverpool are among the Premier League clubs interested in signing Xherdan Shaqiri following Stoke City’s relegation.

The Switzerland international has a release clause in his contract – understood to be set at around £12m-£13.5m – that can be activated after the club lost its Premier League status. Shaqiri has made clear he has no interest in playing in the Championship would “love to stay in England” having arrived from Internazionale for £12m in 2015.

Shaqiri’s availability and affordability has alerted a host of clubs in Europe and the Premier League, with Tottenham Hotspur and Southampton, managed by Mark Hughes, who signed the winger for Stoke, among those linked with the 26-year-old. Liverpool also have an interest in the former Bayern Munich player, with Jürgen Klopp looking to strengthen in key areas, although that has not advanced to activating Shaqiri’s release clause.

Liverpool were close to signing Shaqiri from Bayern in the summer of 2014 and were the player’s preferred option at the time. The winger, however, later claimed Bayern blocked his transfer to Anfield and, with his playing time at the Allianz Arena limited under Pep Guardiola, he joined Internazionale six months later.

Klopp has added the Monaco midfielder Fabinho to his squad this summer for £43.7m and wants the highly rated Lyon captain Nabil Fekir, ideally before the World Cup.

Not much to say about this one. Some will like it for the price, others will want to swerve all together. I'm in the later group.

Salahmi

I'm on the fence with this one, it really depends on whether Klopp and the coaching staff can get his work rate /effort /desire to increase by 100-200%. If nothing else he would be a solid back-up with experience in the PL and CL. I don't know if he would be happy being backup or if he could cause friction in the dressing room. Price does seem worth a punt as long as the wages are not ridiculous.

zman89

Not convinced by this one, but I'm sure Klopp could work his magic with him. Had the same feeling with Ox and look how that turned out. Would surely put him on a slimming program, similar to what we did with Ox. He's too built up for football IMO. Should have a more lean physique especially for a winger. If it doesn't work out I'm sure we could find takers for north of the 12 million being mentioned.

RedBaron

Curse you RedBaron!!!!
Seems a lot of money for 3/4 games a season. I always liked him, but thought him greedy and wasteful. However, being a relatively small fish in a big pond, under JK he may actually show more of his potential than he has s far.

LS12Red

Absolutely not, just cannot see him being a 'team man' from all accounts has a massive ego, could see him causing unrest in the dressing room. He'll end up at Cardiff or Wolves hopefully

Kopstar

★★★★★
No thanks. Strange how there's now such a wide net being cast for the wide forward option. Almost as if they a) are not intended to genuinely compete for the first team, just provide squad depth or b) they're attempting to bring the price down on a target higher up on their wanted list.

Hope it's the latter because unless they're an interesting development option no older than 21/22 I want first team quality signings only please.

Keegans Perm

I must be in the minority when I say I think this would be a good signing. He'd be perfect to bring on when legs are getting tired later on in games and he's shown in the past he is capable of producing a bit of magic that can lead to goals. Ive said in another thread I would have definitely prefered Shaqiri coming on, than the likes of Solanke and Ings. Put him in a better team than Stoke and guaranteed he'll look 10 times the player. All that being said, I wouldn't pay a penny more than 15 million.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
No thanks. Strange how there's now such a wide net being cast for the wide forward option. Almost as if they a) are not intended to genuinely compete for the first team, just provide squad depth or b) they're attempting to bring the price down on a target higher up on their wanted list.

Hope it's the latter because unless they're an interesting development option no older than 21/22 I want first team quality signings only please.
Joyce reckons we want to sign two versatile attacking players. To sign two of those who will genuinely compete for a first team spot would cost an absolute fortune. Considering we've already signed Keita and Fabinho, and are seemingly looking at a goalkeeper, there has to be a compromise somewhere.

FWIW, I don't think Pulisic or Bailey or any of the other young players who've been discussed (minus Dembele) would seriously compete with Mane and Salah either, they would be there for squad depth in the short term with the idea of developing them into starting quality in the coming years.

JMac8

Not convinced by this one, but I'm sure Klopp could work his magic with him. Had the same feeling with Ox and look how that turned out. Would surely put him on a slimming program, similar to what we did with Ox. He's too built up for football IMO. Should have a more lean physique especially for a winger. If it doesn't work out I'm sure we could find takers for north of the 12 million being mentioned.
Maybe comparable in ability levels but the big difference is attitude. I always thought Ox was a decent character who gave 100% in a struggling Arsenal side. Shaqiri was the opposite. Seemed to think he was too good for his team mates and for a relegation fight

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
When's the last time he's even played out on the left? Probably not since his early Bayern days where he was a squad player.

T.C.B

Cheap squad filler who we can move on next summer for at least the same amount. I'd doubt the player would come here given how little football he would likely play.
The club will have a hard time getting attacking players to come here given the quality we already have in the front 3.

Brock34

TIA Squad Member
Kind of think this is just to send a message to higher priority signings that we have other options, but I can also make sense of it.

If Fabinho (40m), Keita (50m) and Fekir (60m) (fingers crossed, knock on wood) are happening, then we only have so much money left, then the Club may need to make trades on how it’s distributed between a GK, CB, and backup attacking player.

If this means we’ve decide to spend ~70m on Alisson and our top attacking targets aren’t actually available this summer (Dembele, Pulisic, ?), then I get it and I’d support it. Obviously I want Dembele and Alisson, but that may not be possible.

Think Shaqiri could be a good backup, all purpose attacking signing for the Club. Low risk, could sell him in a couple years for way more than 12m.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
I wouldn’t say no, if only to give Hope his lifelong dream of getting a Liverpool jersey with Shaqiri’s name on it.

Seriously tho, he’s fine as a depth option - someone to get a bit of time in the matches against more “agricultural” opposition, or to come on in the last 15-20 minutes of games in the bag, giving the top three a bit of much needed rest.

hoosierred

Maybe comparable in ability levels but the big difference is attitude. I always thought Ox was a decent character who gave 100% in a struggling Arsenal side. Shaqiri was the opposite. Seemed to think he was too good for his team mates and for a relegation fight
He was at Stoke... he was too good for his teamates.

However, joking aside, I agree with you point. We want players who will fight to win in ALL situations, and if he doesn't have that in him or can't rediscover it, then this transfer is a mistake.

I'd love to have the guy who led Switzerland in the last world cup as an attacking option on the bench, but I want nothing to do with the guy who jogged around to the point Charlie Adam called him out for a lack of commitment.

hoosierred

As some have said, the best way to improve squad depth is sign a start (ex. Fabinho or Van Dijk). The your previous starter (Gini, Matip) becomes the backup. Your starting 11 is now better and you have more depth.

Of course that is not always possible, so I'm fine with a few value fixes. As long as he is not the sort of knuckhead who will destroy team chemistry. I trust Klopp to evaluate and manage that though. He doesn't suffer immature, lazy or selfish players (I'm looking at Ballotelli and Sakho) so he would have to believe Shaquiri was ready to practice hard and play 100% our style.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
In his defence.

He played for Bayern. And Inter. Represented his nation at the Euros and the World Cup. And then he went to Stoke. I'm sure at some point during that time he thought to himself "Oh fuck me sideways, where did it all go wrong?" and felt a bit sorry for himself.

He's most certainly shown some serious quality at varying points in his career, he just hasn't had the consistency to make it stick when at the top sides he's been at. And he's still only 26. If anyone has the ability to get him back to a boil, it's our boss.

Of course, if the issue is attitude rather than consistency/confidence, then I fully expect us to leave this option on the shelf.

SBYM

I'm just living the dream
We'll all lose our shit when Big Shorts puts one of those bicycle kicks in the net, nothing surer.

So what if it's at Wolverhampton on a freezing Sunday arvo? Bloody toffs...

FilthyBloke

I would sign him. Mainly because I think he has a high potential ceiling which he is nowhere near touching at the minute but klopp seems to be able to get players to go above and beyond their capabilities.

And with lallana declining (and Milner getting older) it leaves a good squad rotator position available. For the price I say go for it. Same reasons as Moses Simon.

UpTheReds

OK I'm now completely convinced that the club is feeding the media BS, or the media is just making it based on who has a release clause or short contract and looks like they might in theory be a winger.

This and the World Cup hasn't started yet.

Elessar

I would say that Woodburn would be a better option. It is probably his place Shaqiri would take.

I can't see Shaqiri being happy sitting on the bench in most games.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I would say that Woodburn would be a better option. It is probably his place Shaqiri would take.

Woodburn isn't a serious option as a wide player in the immediate future, possibly ever. It would be Wilson who I'd be worried about being pushed out.

I think Shaqiri would be a damn sight happier playing for Liverpool than Stoke.

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
that's the main question... if he is happy and willing to do that.. then yes it would be a decent signing to have someone like him coming off the bench. that's an upgrade from last season in that area

Status
Not open for further replies.