• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Xherdan Shaqiri (LW/RW) Stoke

What will Shaqiri be leaning on?

• Disillusioned looking Harry Wilson

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Mavis has been pledging the contract table, so that.

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Collective ‘Meh’.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • HIYH’s excited stiffy.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Melwood railings, not the high ones.

• There will be no lean - the lad is basically a Weebil.

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Klopp’s ankle.

• All the promo from the Fekir deal, hastily repurposed.

• Gigantic (or not?) bottle of slim fast.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Tearful Neil Atkinson.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • A treadmill, vomiting.

• Emre’s leftover hair gel.

Votes: 15 18.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

YeGra

I get people's reluctance for this player. But if anyone is going to motivate a player into action, it's Klopp. The energy he injects into players is incredible.

Weren't we linked with him when he was at Bayern several years ago?

Based on the theory we have a budget that will mostly be used up by Fabinho, Fekir and Alisson leaving only a handful of cash left for a winger he's a good option to go for.

gr_sounder

Quick question on Shaqiri.... has the man ever scored a boring goal or a tap in??? Seems every goal I've seen from him is highlight reel fodder.

By the way, I'd be fine with this .... I think he'd be great as a squad player or against teams in the lower half of the table when we need a different style.

JMac8

He was at Stoke... he was too good for his teamates.

However, joking aside, I agree with you point. We want players who will fight to win in ALL situations, and if he doesn't have that in him or can't rediscover it, then this transfer is a mistake.

I'd love to have the guy who led Switzerland in the last world cup as an attacking option on the bench, but I want nothing to do with the guy who jogged around to the point Charlie Adam called him out for a lack of commitment.
True, though the WC with Switzerland was his breakthrough. What happens when he decides he’s too good to sit on the bench alongside Klavan and Ings? He’s nowhere near our first 11 when the other reinforcements arrive.

That said, Klopp has worked miracles before...

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
True, though the WC with Switzerland was his breakthrough. What happens when he decides he’s too good to sit on the bench alongside Klavan and Ings? He’s nowhere near our first 11 when the other reinforcements arrive
Klavan and Ings won't be good enough for our bench :well done:

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
If this was Basel's, Bayern's or Inter's Shaqiri, I'd be all for it but after seeing how he fared at Stoke... No, thanks. He's not that versatile (not his fault, though, his manager stuck him on the right throughout his Stoke career), nor hard working (which would be my biggest concern of any new recruit), he doesn't seem that unpredictable anymore and I'd be a bit concerned by his attitude, no way that he would want to be a second fiddle to anyone, even if it's Salah on 2017/18 form.

That said, if it was a straight choice between Simon and him, I'd give him a serious thought but I hope it won't come down to it and that it's a negotiation tactic employed by the club, top Italian club-style. After these two links, I have to say I'm slightly underwhelmed by these links for backup wing spot. I was actually expecting someone who would have quality to play in a front four, not be just a cheapish cover for Salah and/or Mane.

SBYM

If you have something else to do, go and do it...
Ad-free Member
How many Swiss have been on the books over the years?

JMac8

It’s a very difficult circle to square. We want someone of similar quality or slightly less to replace our front 3 when needed. That only leaves options in the ‘world class’ or ‘close to world class’ brackets. Not many of those are gonna be happy to be on the bench for most games...unless they get megabuck wages like City and United pay

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Isn't that what Fekir is supposed to be about?
Perhaps but what I had in mind was the player who would take the right wing spot and help Salah play more centrally and closer to goal. I think Fekir should be playing more centrally, perhaps in the way Coutinho never could for Klopp (and even Rodgers) due to his lack of bite. I could be wrong, though, won't be the first, nor the last time. That said, I really don't see Shaqiri or Simon being that fourth guy, for what it's worth.

Brock34

TIA Squad Member
OK I'm now completely convinced that the club is feeding the media BS, or the media is just making it based on who has a release clause or short contract and looks like they might in theory be a winger.

This and the World Cup hasn't started yet.
Ha. I can justify making this move (see earlier post) and there may be some interest from the Club, but this seems more like the Club briefing all local journalists on this today at the same time in an attempt to distract other Clubs from who we are truly after or to send a message to Clubs we are currently negotiating with that we have other options.

Seems like the recruitment team has a well thought out plan and targets that they’ve been working for a while and if we are only signing two attackers (Fekir and ???), then I don’t see us moving for Shaqiri yet unless it’s late in the summer and the others aren’t going to happen.

Hoping this means a Fabinho-like surprise later this week with the real target. :)

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
If this was Basel's, Bayern's or Inter's Shaqiri, I'd be all for it but after seeing how he fared at Stoke... No, thanks. He's not that versatile (not his fault, though, his manager stuck him on the right throughout his Stoke career), nor hard working (which would be my biggest concern of any new recruit), he doesn't seem that unpredictable anymore and I'd be a bit concerned by his attitude, no way that he would want to be a second fiddle to anyone, even if it's Salah on 2017/18 form.

That said, if it was a straight choice between Simon and him, I'd give him a serious thought but I hope it won't come down to it and that it's a negotiation tactic employed by the club, top Italian club-style. After these two links, I have to say I'm slightly underwhelmed by these links for backup wing spot. I was actually expecting someone who would have quality to play in a front four, not be just a cheapish cover for Salah and/or Mane.
I thought he had played in multiple positions pre stoke? Also think him coming here could be a good opportunity to get his career back on track and could then get a good choice of clubs next year to be first choice again

pottymonster

I am one with the Force, the Force is with me.
We're looking for people to replace the likes of Ings and Solanke, neither of whom is good enough, on our bench. We probably still sign Fekir to fill a Coutinho shaped hole in the squad (someone playing AM and across the front 3), but we still need a couple of options to flesh out the front line. I would have preferred it be Wilson or Ojo, but it's kinda looking like we've decided to move in another direction. So be it.

jackh1092

He would be a fine signing. Nothing spectacular, but not so long ago, i would've happily taken him.

He is capable of brilliance- but he also, seems the type who likes being the big fish in the small pond.

Hopefully his attitude isn't that bad, and he can take the challenge of proving himself again (if we do sign him)

Herb

The necessity to spend upwards of £60m on a decent keeper has maybe hampered our ability to go out and buy Fekir + another big money attacker (Pulisic, Dembele, Bailey etc). Potentially a reason we are linked to cheaper back up options in the last few days. Just a theory.

As for Shaqiri, undoubted quality but the work rate is what would worry me. We can all blag that Klopp might get hold of him and change something in his makeup but the reality is he’s never been a typically hard working player, Guardiola is an equally demanding coach and got nothing from him. Maybe that’s not such an important factor in games against the dross in this league he’d likely to be brought in to play against in which having somebody who can just blam one in from 25 yards can help.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
I'm purely speculating, but seems that we had a large chunk of the budget ready for a winger, with a smaller amount set aside as a reserve GK. That seems to have flipped after the final- now we are willing to spend a large amount on a GK and will spend the small amount on a reserve winger. With how closed mouthed everyone is at LFC now over transfer targets, it's hard to say.

Before the final, I'd say were buying Butland and ...Pulisic or someone similar? Now it seems it's Allison and a Shaqiri/Moses type. Not sure which scenario I'd rather have.

King Kev

We need at least 2 attacking players. These should be the priority in this window now after we have got Fabinho. I would take Shaqiri as long as we get Fekir. It means not having to rely on Ings out wide or not having to change the whole set-up to accommodate Solanke when Salah is out. It means having a decent back-up for Salah.

12m is a good fee for such a player. Probably also saves us the money to go after Alisson. If we end up with Keita, Fabinho, Fekir, Shaqiri and Becker during this window without losing any important player, I will call this a great window.

YeGra

I'm purely speculating, but seems that we had a large chunk of the budget ready for a winger, with a smaller amount set aside as a reserve GK. That seems to have flipped after the final- now we are willing to spend a large amount on a GK and will spend the small amount on a reserve winger. With how closed mouthed everyone is at LFC now over transfer targets, it's hard to say.

Before the final, I'd say were buying Butland and ...Pulisic or someone similar? Now it seems it's Allison and a Shaqiri/Moses type. Not sure which scenario I'd rather have.
If it was a choice between Alisson and Shaqiri or Butland and Pulisic. The former wins hands down.

If the remaining players we get this summer are Alisson, Shaqiri and Fekir I'm happy as Larry. Although a CB would do nicely as well.

FGred

I wouldn’t say no, if only to give Hope his lifelong dream of getting a Liverpool jersey with Shaqiri’s name on it.

Seriously tho, he’s fine as a depth option - someone to get a bit of time in the matches against more “agricultural” opposition, or to come on in the last 15-20 minutes of games in the bag, giving the top three a bit of much needed rest.
If Klopp turns him into another Salah and he scores 20 odd goals at 12M it is a no brainer if he doesn’t work out as someone else said we can sell him at a profit. He is solid physically get him to lose a bit of weight by cutting down on those oatcakes. At stoke he was the main man, with us he will another teammate and will cutdown on the posing. I don’t think Ramos will be able to bully him like salah though?

Serdar Ekrem İleri

Gerrard Generation
The necessity to spend upwards of £60m on a decent keeper has maybe hampered our ability to go out and buy Fekir + another big money attacker (Pulisic, Dembele, Bailey etc). Potentially a reason we are linked to cheaper back up options in the last few days. Just a theory.
100 % correct.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Wouldnt mind getting a shaquiri. But still think we can do better.

On aside , how close is shaquiri to salah ? Both might have been in fc Basel at the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.