• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Xherdan Shaqiri (LW/RW) Stoke

What will Shaqiri be leaning on?

• Disillusioned looking Harry Wilson

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Mavis has been pledging the contract table, so that.

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Collective ‘Meh’.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • HIYH’s excited stiffy.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Melwood railings, not the high ones.

• There will be no lean - the lad is basically a Weebil.

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Klopp’s ankle.

• All the promo from the Fekir deal, hastily repurposed.

• Gigantic (or not?) bottle of slim fast.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Tearful Neil Atkinson.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • A treadmill, vomiting.

• Emre’s leftover hair gel.

Votes: 15 18.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Wouldnt mind getting a shaquiri. But still think we can do better.

On aside , how close is shaquiri to salah ? Both might have been in fc Basel at the same time

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Wouldnt mind getting a shaquiri. But still think we can do better.

On aside , how close is shaquiri to salah ? Both might have been in fc Basel at the same time
Actually, I think Salah joined the summer Shaqiri left for Bayern. Not sure they crossed paths at all.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Well, if Klopp thinks so, I’ll trust him.

But blimey, not one I’d touch with a bargepole. I wonder if we’re just throwing names out to mess with Lyon.

Phil123

Saw somewhere that Shaqiri doesn't like the idea of being a reserve, don't know if it is true ...

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Like I mentioned in the Unreliable Rumour thread, I won't oppose this move and would probably welcome it more than that Moses fella but under one condition - Klopp knows how to get him to play as part of the second stringer. We need experienced player to take up that hole left by one of our front three and Shaqiri has the skills. So why not? As long as Klopp can straighten out his attitude, we might just have ourselves a pretty good bench, enviable by most of Europe.

Now if after one season and he still sulk like how he was at Stoke, sell him. Risk would probably be around £5-6m loss at most since his price tag is around £10-12m and he's only 26. I am also quite sure he will know that this is going to be his last chance to play in one of the big 10 in Europe.

Limiescouse

It's not a terrible idea, under the right circumstances

1) He is in addition to the primary target like Fekir
2) He is under no apprehension of how far down the pecking order he is, and how few options he will have if it fails.

It would be cheap, with the only real downside being his potential to unsettle the group. And it is not remotely difficult to imagine him getting 20 games and making a significant contribution. This is his "relevancy or Austria Wien" moment.

Last edited:

klippityklopp007

Good player with a lot of experience. When he has decent players around him (unlike at Stoke) he is a good player. I'd be happy enough to have him as back up.

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
Winning does solve a lot of attitude problems...

So if there is truth are we choosing between going into next year with Shaquiri and Alisson vs going into next season with Fekir and Karius? Or do we get Fekir regardless and it Pulisic or Dembele we give up for the cheaper option to sign a goalie?

Dave-D

Shaqiri coming off the bench against a team that parked the bus ain’t a bad idea and as squad rotation and then there’s his PL and CL experience which ain’t a bad thing either.
If Klopp can knock that chip off his shoulder then Liverpool could have one hell of a player on their hands and he’s only 26 so just about Tobit his peak.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Decent option to come off the bench and give 30 minutes rest to our front 3. Can start matches here and there. Downside is inconsistency and attitude. And also when he had a chance to come to us previously to get more play time, he choose to stay on bench in BM. Then it all went downhill for him from there.
Hope Klopp can sort him out - it's quite possible.

Zinedine Biscan

Ad-free Member
Decent option to come off the bench and give 30 minutes rest to our front 3. Can start matches here and there. Downside is inconsistency and attitude. And also when he had a chance to come to us previously to get more play time, he choose to stay on bench in BM. Then it all went downhill for him from there.
I've read that he's said he wanted to come but Bayern blocked his move.

*** suso ***

We need to improve squad depth, not just the 1st team. He would be a good squad depth signing. The fact he has looked good in a truly terrible team with awful managers is quite a compliment to him
best way to improve the squad is to buy players to go into the 1st, which in turn would mean the previous 1st team player would drop to the bench and therefore make the squad stronger

Zinedine Biscan

Ad-free Member
best way to improve the squad is to buy players to go into the 1st, which in turn would mean the previous 1st team player would drop to the bench and therefore make the squad stronger
Fine in theory, but talking specifically about our front 3 I don't really see how we improve on those if you're talking about players we could reasonably afford or attract (ie no Neymar, Mbappe etc)...

Limiescouse

Decent option to come off the bench and give 30 minutes rest to our front 3. Can start matches here and there. Downside is inconsistency and attitude. And also when he had a chance to come to us previously to get more play time, he choose to stay on bench in BM.
He may well have wanted to stay, but that would have at least in part been because he was still getting the full support of the people behind the scenes people who run the club. Whatever interest there may have been in our part, or anyone else's was utterly rebuffed.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
As @Zinedine Biscan said, the events reported at the time, by the reputable journos close to our club, and the player since is that Bayern blocked the move. The player really wanted to come.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
That's a nice sentiment but finding players better than Mane and Salah would be extremely expensive, difficult and unnecessary given there are other areas of the side to focus on as well.

Livvy

Alles wird gut
Fine in theory, but talking specifically about our front 3 I don't really see how we improve on those if you're talking about players we could reasonably afford or attract (ie no Neymar, Mbappe etc)...
I agree.... but tbh my concern would be what if one of our front 3 gets injured and we would have to play with Shaqiri then regularly for a longer time?
We' ve been really lucky that nothing like that happened so far.

*** suso ***

[
Yes that is very true. if you cant get better then the 1st team players then we need to improve the squad by buying players that are better then the ones sitting on the bench

is he a better option on the bench then lallana ?

Zinedine Biscan

Ad-free Member
[

Yes that is very true. if you cant get better then the 1st team players then we need to improve the squad by buying players that are better then the ones sitting on the bench

is he a better option on the bench then lallana ?
For the attack, sure. Lallana has never looked decent for us on the wing, and for Klopp's football he's too slow to play there. For me he plays centrally or not at all.

Redtribe

On the fence with this one, could be a disaster or could be a genius move.

I dont think he's lazy judging from what i have seen, he always seems to want the ball and could be a good player to help the transition from defence to attack with his pace and dribbling skills.

I have no idea about his an attitude, but this is a key area Klopp looks at from all his players and potential signings, so if he comes in i'm sure that it shouldn't be a problem.

As a back up for the wide forward this presents a financially a low risk move.

He can also come up with some individual brilliance from outside the box which is always a good thing!

Here are some match highlights:

Xherdan Shaqiri vs Portugal (Away) 10/10/2017

Xherdan Shaqiri vs Bielorrusia HD (01/06/2017)

Xherdan Shaqiri vs Everton (Away) (28/12/2015)

Xherdan shaqiri vs Chelsea (away)

Xherdan Shaqiri vs Bayern München (A) 11-12 [UCL] by Maryan

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
Not saying he'd be a world beater here but we have to remember he plays for Stoke and their default mode is defend and forget about attacking. He gets isolated a LOT there and marked out of games as hes literally their only decent attacker. Its also probably the reason he has the "greedy" tag as he is the only fucker trying to make something happen and probably gets told to try and make something happen by management. Hes scored a few class goals in the past so we know its in his locker and if Klopp genuinely believes hes a punt worth taking Id be alright with it.

*** suso ***

I agree.... but tbh my concern would be what if one of our front 3 gets injured and we would have to play with Shaqiri then regularly for a longer time?
We' ve been really lucky that nothing like that happened so far.
thats why i would rather go big on a leon baily and a keeper rather then spend 40m on fabhino if we havent got enough money to get all three

Status
Not open for further replies.