• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Xherdan Shaqiri (LW/RW) Stoke

What will Shaqiri be leaning on?

• Disillusioned looking Harry Wilson

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Mavis has been pledging the contract table, so that.

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Collective ‘Meh’.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • HIYH’s excited stiffy.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Melwood railings, not the high ones.

• There will be no lean - the lad is basically a Weebil.

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Klopp’s ankle.

• All the promo from the Fekir deal, hastily repurposed.

• Gigantic (or not?) bottle of slim fast.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Tearful Neil Atkinson.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • A treadmill, vomiting.

• Emre’s leftover hair gel.

Votes: 15 18.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
I don't think anyone is overly excited (no, not even me, despite of me having pestered everyone how he could help us years ago when he was at Basel, haha!), but at this stage of his and our development, he can add good depth for positions on the pitch where we have a need for it.

At the end of the day, it's all on Klopp. If he thinks that Shaqiri can bring something to our squad, then I feel perfectly at ease with it, as it confirms what I've been thinking all along.

As for the comparisons with Wilson I don't quite get them to be fair. I'm the first to be in favour of giving youngsters a chance within the first team before buying squad players, but the lad is still only 21, so still at a completely different development stage. Also, as far as I'm aware, he doesn't play the same role on a football pitch than Shaqiri. He's more a poacher than anything else? A nice talent who could also stay at the club no matter what, depending on what Klopp decides to do with him. I could be wrong about that, but I don't see him as a direct competition with Shaqiri. Rather with Origi, Solanke and Ings.
Wilson is a winger mate...

Barnestormer

Left wing.
'Excited' is the wrong word but as a move towards improving squad depth it's hard to object to it. I'm all in as long as he's not the Fekir alternative.

However, I suspect he is most likely the Fekir alternative.
Guaranteed he is us being in the market for a versatile attacking midfielder.

jackh1092

If this means we have to see less of Origi who i'm done with then i'm good with it....

Wilson will get his games, unless he gets a loan.....Ojo will probably go too...Lallana is central....Sturridge is done basically, but he will be kept i think due to lack of interest at the price and wages...

Ings will go + which will bring good funds, remember there was a game he vs Everton he played LW, how bads that? Shaqiri gives us more options of actual wide men, regardless of your thoughts on him.

I would love a Brandt etc, but i really hope money is being kept for elsewhere...

jackh1092

Hasn't it been expressed several times he is not the alternative for Fekir, point made by several journalists.
Most of the LFC journalists are being kept out of the loop it seems, no news from reddy, pearce etc...all coming first from the other side.....let them have their say, but this summer they know very little.

Artrain

Except @Anfield rd Dreamer, any one else excited?
Its hard to get excited about Shaqiri to Liverpool at the same time when Ronaldo is being confirmed for Juventus. But if we do end up signing the fella, I have no doubt we'll try to make good use of him. Plus, its such a low risk transfer that we're not going to lose much even if it doesn't work out.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Hasn't it been expressed several times he is not the alternative for Fekir, point made by several journalists.
Yes, precisely the reason why I think he might be. When Pearce and co start protesting too much about things I get suspicious. I would love to be proved wrong, incidentally. Hopefully common sense will prevail and the Fekir transfer can be revived. Fekir and Shaqiri as a pair would be a great addition.

Zinedine Biscan

Yes, precisely the reason why I think he might be. When Pearce and co start protesting too much about things I get suspicious. I would love to be proved wrong, incidentally. Hopefully common sense will prevail and the Fekir transfer can be revived. Fekir and Shaqiri as a pair would be a great addition.
An alternative read on the situation might be that the difference between signing Fekir and Shaqiri means freeing up the funds to go big on a keeper instead... I could get behind it on that basis. At this point, given the options we have centrally, if it came down to a straight choice I'd rather sign Alisson/Oblak than Fekir.

Zinedine Biscan

Being the only replacement for Mane and Salah would put a lot of weight on the young mans shoulders. Could ruin his career before its started, but just throw him in anyway aye.
If playing backup to a couple of strong first-teamers who will be expected to play 90%+ of matches next season destroys his career then he would never be the one for us. But better to farm him out on loan though so he can't benefit from working with Klopp or learn how to play our system, right? Because from what Joyce is saying it appears to be a straight choice between the two of them.

Wilson is 21, 22 in March. You'd think he was 17 the way some people speak about him.

Dave-D

If playing backup to a couple of strong first-teamers who will be expected to play 90%+ of matches next season destroys his career then he would never be the one for us. But better to farm him out on loan though so he can't benefit from working with Klopp or learn how to play our system, right?
I think it more that Klopp want him playing more than 10% of the games next season and getting a full season of first team football at a club of Liverpool’s choice is better than a bit part roll and U23 games for his development.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
An alternative read on the situation might be that the difference between signing Fekir and Shaqiri means freeing up the funds to go big on a keeper instead... I could get behind it on that basis. At this point, given the options we have centrally, if it came down to a straight choice I'd rather sign Alisson/Oblak than Fekir.
Precisely what I think too. Was going to add that but didn't want to derail it as there's enough talk going on about goalies etc.

It may well come down to a choice between a Fekir-type and a keeper, depending on how much is left in the pot. The Karius situation has really complicated everything.

Anyway, on Shaqiri I have no problem with it. Looking forward to seeing what JK can do with him. Undeniably talented. If he can't fulfil his potential under JK then he never will.

Zinedine Biscan

I think it more that Klopp want him playing more than 10% of the games next season and getting a full season of first team football at a club of Liverpool’s choice is better than a bit part roll and U23 games for his development.
Solanke got 28 appearances last season covering for Firmino, there'll be enough minutes off the bench for it to be a worthwhile year for Wilson.

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Good signing this, good price, good record of score involvement 1 in 3 for his career which is ok numbers for a winger.

Just entering his prime at 26 cant see how we can lose on the deal. As a depth signing he will be our best option off the bench for sure, at least currently and if it all goed pear shaped we will get most if not all of what we pay for him anyway.

kpt

Liverpool have begun talks with Xherdan Shaqiri & are hopeful of completing a deal this month. The £13M release fee is financially attractive & Shaqiri is keen on the move. #LFC can sweeten any deal by offering a loan player & Stoke have enquired about Sheyi Ojo. [@neiljonesgoal]

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
If playing backup to a couple of strong first-teamers who will be expected to play 90%+ of matches next season destroys his career then he would never be the one for us. But better to farm him out on loan though so he can't benefit from working with Klopp or learn how to play our system, right? Because from what Joyce is saying it appears to be a straight choice between the two of them.

Wilson is 21, 22 in March. You'd think he was 17 the way some people speak about him.
Im glad the club arent being as short sighted as you mate. Wilson plays a few bad games because Salah/Mane are injured and what happens then? Supporters and media on his back? loss of confidence? dropped for a player who is playing out of position? All the above? You cant expect a guy with hardly any top tier, first team experience to come in and cover for 2 of the worlds best wingers, its cruel. The Shaq buy makes so much sense even in aiding the development of any youngsters who are good enough for minutes. If we go out and buy a 50-70 million winger what happens to the youngsters then? We have to play players who cost that much because we, they and the media are expecting a player of that price to be good. The club cant afford to invest that much for a bench warmer, we are not manchester city. There seems to be plenty of minutes on the pitch to be had for more than one backup winger anyway so I really cant see the problem. If Wilson goes out on loan it wont be because he has been pushed out by shaq signing, it will be because the boss does not think he is ready or good enough yet. I trust Klopp to make the right decisions and if he thinks shaqiri for 12 million quid is a good buy then I'll back him all the way.

Zinedine Biscan

Im glad the club arent being as short sighted as you mate. Wilson plays a few bad games because Salah/Mane are injured and what happens then? Supporters and media on his back? loss of confidence? dropped for a player who is playing out of position? All the above? You cant expect a guy with hardly any top tier, first team experience to come in and cover for 2 of the worlds best wingers, its cruel. The Shaq buy makes so much sense even in aiding the development of any youngsters who are good enough for minutes. If we go out and buy a 50-70 million winger what happens to the youngsters then? We have to play players who cost that much because we, they and the media are expecting a player of that price to be good. The club cant afford to invest that much for a bench warmer, we are not manchester city. There seems to be plenty of minutes on the pitch to be had for more than one backup winger anyway so I really cant see the problem. If Wilson goes out on loan it wont be because he has been pushed out by shaq signing, it will be because the boss does not think he is ready or good enough yet. I trust Klopp to make the right decisions and if he thinks shaqiri for 12 million quid is a good buy then I'll back him all the way.
Buying an average soon-to-be 27yo (October) to force one of our promising Academy stars to go on loan in search of first-team action... and I'm being the short-sighted one? lol

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
Buying an average soon-to-be 27yo (October) to force one of our promising Academy stars to go on loan in search of first-team action... and I'm being the short-sighted one? lol
The post you just quoted explains my thoughts on why Shaqiri moving here wont be the reason Wilson goes out on loan, you should try reading the posts that you are quoting.

Zinedine Biscan

The post you just quoted explains my thoughts on why Shaqiri moving here wont be the reason Wilson goes out on loan, you should try reading the posts that you are quoting.
I read every word, and disagreed with them too. I merely responded to the part that made me literally laugh out loud.

Zoran

If it's straight between Wilson and Shaqiri, I completely understand why we're going for the latter option. However, price (which is pretty low yeah) is a big factor here and I'm not convinced about his quality to go with his style and age/mentality (to attack space as well as want it into feet)/versatility (when's the last time he's even played LW?!). I'd rather someone else, but I'll give him a chance of course. He could be good. But how good? In a situation like this when our forward depth wasn't good last season, it's pretty easy to say "he's good" for quite a number of players. I don't want us to stockpile players, I don't want anybody.

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
I read every word, and disagreed with them too. I merely responded to the part that made me literally laugh out loud.
You read the part where I said that the shaq signing will not be the reason Wilson goes on loan? Then you laughed that it would be the reason he goes out on loan instead of replying to why you disagreed with my points? Bit strange, kind of seems like you have no counter arguments to the points made and dont want to sign him because you think he is average. Klopp will know if Wilson is ready and he clearly does not think he is whether you do or not.

Zinedine Biscan

You read the part where I said that the shaq signing will not be the reason Wilson goes on loan? Then you laughed that it would be the reason he goes out on loan instead of replying to why you disagreed with my points? Bit strange, kind of seems like you have no counter arguments to the points made and dont want to sign him because you think he is average. Klopp will know if Wilson is ready and he clearly does not think he is whether you do or not.
In the same article Joyce states Shaqiri talks have started and Wilson will likely now leave on loan. Your post was just your own opinion based on what?

Status
Not open for further replies.