• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Xherdan Shaqiri (LW/RW) Stoke

What will Shaqiri be leaning on?

• Disillusioned looking Harry Wilson

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Mavis has been pledging the contract table, so that.

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Collective ‘Meh’.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • HIYH’s excited stiffy.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Melwood railings, not the high ones.

• There will be no lean - the lad is basically a Weebil.

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Klopp’s ankle.

• All the promo from the Fekir deal, hastily repurposed.

• Gigantic (or not?) bottle of slim fast.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Tearful Neil Atkinson.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • A treadmill, vomiting.

• Emre’s leftover hair gel.

Votes: 15 18.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Bleh. My opinion hasn't changed since the last time I offered it. Would rather his minutes were instead given to Wilson.
I think there's enough (and a need) for both!

Can't do to Salah and Mane what we've done to players like Owen and Torres before by playing them into the ground till their bodies are injury riddled and they become broken shells of their younger selves before they hit 30.

Dutch

Ad-free Member

Can't do to Salah and Mane what we've done to players like Owen and Torres before by playing them into the ground till their bodies are injury riddled and they become broken shells of their younger selves before they hit 30.
I agree, we where 'lucky' that Salah injury happened in the final and not 4 weeks before, our season could have been totally different. We need proper backup upfront but Shaqiri alone is not enough IMO.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Except @Anfield rd Dreamer, any one else excited?
Yes.. He is a strong, technical and quick player who regularly scores and assists.. Has a great set piece.

I'd much prefer him coming off the bench if we are struggling for a goal than Sturridge, Origi, Ings etc.
I'd much prefer him coming in for Salah/Mane if injured so Firmino doesn't get pushed out wide.

I see zero downside to signing him.

RedBaron

Curse you RedBaron!!!!
Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. We have a great team spirit, so in order to Fock it up let’s sign the most arrogant, self centred, selfish, player available especially as he’s cheap.
This will end in tears.

GaryBarlow99

Hopefully he is a stop gap for a season so Wilson/Ojo/Kent can go and get some experience before coming back and ripping up the league :well done:

lfc.8

Not too fond of the player. Really we should be aiming higher if indeed this is on the cards.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. We have a great team spirit, so in order to Fock it up let’s sign the most arrogant, self centred, selfish, player available especially as he’s cheap.
This will end in tears.
The most? Seriously? Why? What on earth makes you believe he is even in the top 50 let alone "most"? Talk about over reaction.

Livvy

Alles wird gut
He isn't in any way the exciting signing everyone is waiting for, but hey.... let's just see what Klopp can do with him, in the past Klopp has often opted for players who had something to prove and this might be Xherdans last chance to get his career back on track. So hopefully he'll works his socks of and is able to survive our pre season ;-) At least he will be an experienced option from the bench.

Last edited:

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member

Apart from the talk of Wilson going on loan came on the same day as reports we're in talks with Shaqiri (both from the same Joyce article iirc)...

coldbeatle89

So Dom King reporting that things are progressing and could be done soon.

:shrugs: I guess it's an alright move?

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
I don't think anyone is overly excited (no, not even me, despite of me having pestered everyone how he could help us years ago when he was at Basel, haha!), but at this stage of his and our development, he can add good depth for positions on the pitch where we have a need for it.

At the end of the day, it's all on Klopp. If he thinks that Shaqiri can bring something to our squad, then I feel perfectly at ease with it, as it confirms what I've been thinking all along.

As for the comparisons with Wilson I don't quite get them to be fair. I'm the first to be in favour of giving youngsters a chance within the first team before buying squad players, but the lad is still only 21, so still at a completely different development stage. Also, as far as I'm aware, he doesn't play the same role on a football pitch than Shaqiri. He's more a poacher than anything else? A nice talent who could also stay at the club no matter what, depending on what Klopp decides to do with him. I could be wrong about that, but I don't see him as a direct competition with Shaqiri. Rather with Origi, Solanke and Ings.

kiwiredman

This is my serious face
A little on the fence with this one. I think he would be good off the bench but have some reservations about his work rate.
I pretty much felt the same about Ox and those feelings were put to bed pretty quickly.
If anyone can get the best out of him it’s Klopp.
If it is happening, I hope it’s soon as I’m hanging out for news of a signing!

Zinedine Biscan

Ad-free Member
I don't think anyone is overly excited (no, not even me, despite of me having pestered everyone how he could help us years ago when he was at Basel, haha!), but at this stage of his and our development, he can add good depth for positions on the pitch where we have a need for it.

At the end of the day, it's all on Klopp. If he thinks that Shaqiri can bring something to our squad, then I feel perfectly at ease with it, as it confirms what I've been thinking all along.

As for the comparisons with Wilson I don't quite get them to be fair. I'm the first to be in favour of giving youngsters a chance within the first team before buying squad players, but the lad is still only 21, so still at a completely different development stage. Also, as far as I'm aware, he doesn't play the same role on a football pitch than Shaqiri. He's more a poacher than anything else? A nice talent who could also stay at the club no matter what, depending on what Klopp decides to do with him. I could be wrong about that, but I don't see him as a direct competition with Shaqiri. Rather with Origi, Solanke and Ings.
Wilson is a winger mate...

Barnestormer

Left wing.
'Excited' is the wrong word but as a move towards improving squad depth it's hard to object to it. I'm all in as long as he's not the Fekir alternative.

However, I suspect he is most likely the Fekir alternative.
Guaranteed he is us being in the market for a versatile attacking midfielder.

jackh1092

If this means we have to see less of Origi who i'm done with then i'm good with it....

Wilson will get his games, unless he gets a loan.....Ojo will probably go too...Lallana is central....Sturridge is done basically, but he will be kept i think due to lack of interest at the price and wages...

Ings will go + which will bring good funds, remember there was a game he vs Everton he played LW, how bads that? Shaqiri gives us more options of actual wide men, regardless of your thoughts on him.

I would love a Brandt etc, but i really hope money is being kept for elsewhere...

jackh1092

Hasn't it been expressed several times he is not the alternative for Fekir, point made by several journalists.
Most of the LFC journalists are being kept out of the loop it seems, no news from reddy, pearce etc...all coming first from the other side.....let them have their say, but this summer they know very little.

Artrain

Its hard to get excited about Shaqiri to Liverpool at the same time when Ronaldo is being confirmed for Juventus. But if we do end up signing the fella, I have no doubt we'll try to make good use of him. Plus, its such a low risk transfer that we're not going to lose much even if it doesn't work out.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Hasn't it been expressed several times he is not the alternative for Fekir, point made by several journalists.
Yes, precisely the reason why I think he might be. When Pearce and co start protesting too much about things I get suspicious. I would love to be proved wrong, incidentally. Hopefully common sense will prevail and the Fekir transfer can be revived. Fekir and Shaqiri as a pair would be a great addition.

Zinedine Biscan

Ad-free Member
Yes, precisely the reason why I think he might be. When Pearce and co start protesting too much about things I get suspicious. I would love to be proved wrong, incidentally. Hopefully common sense will prevail and the Fekir transfer can be revived. Fekir and Shaqiri as a pair would be a great addition.
An alternative read on the situation might be that the difference between signing Fekir and Shaqiri means freeing up the funds to go big on a keeper instead... I could get behind it on that basis. At this point, given the options we have centrally, if it came down to a straight choice I'd rather sign Alisson/Oblak than Fekir.

Status
Not open for further replies.