• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Xherdan Shaqiri (LW/RW) Stoke

What will Shaqiri be leaning on?

• Disillusioned looking Harry Wilson

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Mavis has been pledging the contract table, so that.

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Collective ‘Meh’.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • HIYH’s excited stiffy.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Melwood railings, not the high ones.

• There will be no lean - the lad is basically a Weebil.

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Klopp’s ankle.

• All the promo from the Fekir deal, hastily repurposed.

• Gigantic (or not?) bottle of slim fast.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Tearful Neil Atkinson.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • A treadmill, vomiting.

• Emre’s leftover hair gel.

Votes: 15 18.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
thats why i would rather go big on a leon baily and a keeper rather then spend 40m on fabhino if we havent got enough money to get all three
You'd rather we spent big on a wide player that is clearly inferior to our current ones than buy an upgrade in central midfield?

I'd rather have Bailey than Shaqiri too but the difference in quality between them wouldn't be that noticeable next season.

*** suso ***

You'd rather we spent big on a wide player that is clearly inferior to our current ones than buy an upgrade in central midfield?

I'd rather have Bailey than Shaqiri too but the difference in quality between them wouldn't be that noticeable next season.
you saw what happened to us after salah left the pitch in the CL?.We were lucky last year that the fab three stay injury free but if they are out for a large period of the season we can say good bye to the top four. we are desperate for a fast winger/wide forward.
we have only lost Can fromthe middle of the park but have keita coming and we have plenty of cover

*** suso ***

Tbf, I'm quite happy with Fabinho, we really needed a player like him...and that's not a position for a "cheap solution" as well imo.
dont get me wrong i was and am very happy with the signing but if we cant afford three top class players then i would much rather spend the money on a wide forward

big noyd

reddy and joyce don't make shit up, but the club feeding them a name doesn't mean the interest is genuine

lyon appears to have decided to milk fekir's exit for all it's worth (i don't know why, but clearly this is a thing selling clubs do), this is aimed at them IMO

big noyd

thats why i would rather go big on a leon baily and a keeper rather then spend 40m on fabhino if we havent got enough money to get all three
could not disagree more

city was in for jorginho, neves said he was staying put, and i was talking myself into hendo/gini going forward

fabinho out of nowhere was a massive fucking coup, imo

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
you saw what happened to us after salah left the pitch in the CL?.We were lucky last year that the fab three stay injury free but if they are out for a large period of the season we can say good bye to the top four. we are desperate for a fast winger/wide forward.
we have only lost Can fromthe middle of the park but have keita coming and we have plenty of cover
I don't disagree with you I just think we'd be better prepared to deal with losing Salah when Fekir and Shaqiri are here, rather than bringing on players like Lallana or Ings as we did vs Madrid and Roma. Besides, we'll be better able to absorb the loss of the front 3 if our central midfield improves, which it should.

Like I've said, Shaqiri would be far from my first choice, but still not a bad option at that price.

K

Klopptinho

So he's progressing nicely enough up until 2014/15 , which is after he made a bit of a name for himself in the world cup, so i thought "why did bayern sell him ?" .

seems Bayern snatched Inters hands off and cashed in on that world cup euphoria/hysteria .

He's been injury free according to the above - although i could swear that he pulled up with a hamstring injury this season(17/18) in a game where crouch scored with his hand . that might have been last (16/17) ?

he had a good run of games this season and scored a few more goals .

@Anfield rd Dreamer it's quite funny that K.H.R from Bayern says they sold him for his own good so he could play more games ! how can he play when he's injured and misses 42 games whilst with them ? they cashed in on the world cup hat trick. It's far more likely during a time of us doing a few loan deals that we wanted him on loan with a view to buying him and they accepted less for a permanent deal from inter. Given his injury history (my opinion of course)

K

Klopptinho

:wave: circus is in town ! i'm not getting involved in the big top this summer ! love you all and who ever signs - signs!

we'll be champions next season even if we bring back heskey .

FACT! :tongue:

arguing about stoke players is beneath me , surely ? lol

OLDIE

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
:wave: circus is in town ! i'm not getting involved in the big top this summer ! love you all and who ever signs - signs!

we'll be champions next season even if we bring back heskey .

FACT! :tongue:

arguing about stoke players is beneath me , surely ? lol
Quality stuff

K

Klopptinho

Quality stuff
it''s hard sometimes and people can find themselves arguing the toss over the silliest things. People that we usually agree with but come the summer madness we'll argue with our mothers over some guy from barnet we have never seen play and previously had never heard of lol

@Anfield rd Dreamer is a decent poster ( most of the time - despite his self confessed poor record on transfer targets ) yet a bit of sun and we are fighting over what some german said about some swiss guy that currently plays in the potteries lol

what happened to the days when we could simply argue over daniel sturridge's fitness ? :-(

FGred

reddy and joyce don't make shit up, but the club feeding them a name doesn't mean the interest is genuine

lyon appears to have decided to milk fekir's exit for all it's worth (i don't know why, but clearly this is a thing selling clubs do), this is aimed at them IMO
That’s why we’ve never managed to buy a player from Lyon because Aulas is a greedy git. He is up to the same tricks when he tries to involve as many teams in Europe to bump up the price but Klopp will just walk away as a matter of fact it would not surprise me if he hasn’t got somebody else lined up already

UpTheReds

That’s why we’ve never managed to buy a player from Lyon because Aulas is a greedy git. He is up to the same tricks when he tries to involve as many teams in Europe to bump up the price but Klopp will just walk away as a matter of fact it would not surprise me if he hasn’t got somebody else lined up already
There really isn't anyone else that fits the bill. Fekir can play Firmino's position in a Firmino-like way -- which almost no one can -- or in the advanced midfield role, and be good on the ball and a ball hawk without it. I don't blame Lyon for trying to get as much as they can, Liverpool does the same thing. Just hope it gets done.

jabu

TIA New Signing
We'll all lose our shit when Big Shorts puts one of those bicycle kicks in the net, nothing surer.

So what if it's at Wolverhampton on a freezing Sunday arvo? Bloody toffs...
exactly this... being a fan is the most no risk situation ever. you never lose. if the player proves to be shit, we smugly remind everyone how right we were and if he does well, we proudly exclaim how happy we are to be wrong and what a great addition, the said player has proved to be... Sadio, Ox and Robbo all say hello...

Limiescouse

exactly this... being a fan is the most no risk situation ever. you never lose. if the player proves to be shit, we smugly remind everyone how right we were and if he does well, we proudly exclaim how happy we are to be wrong and what a great addition, the said player has proved to be... Sadio, Ox and Robbo all say hello...
I said something similar about Balotelli, albeit after a period of smashing my head against a wall, and slamming my balls in a draw. It was a no lose situation. With our attack, the bar for what would be successful was so low that he really couldn't fail. And then Sturridge's leg fell off and we're left with Mario HAVING to perform.

That's why I think we still need another prime target to come in, like Fekir, before the risk for this move becomes suitably low.

jabu

TIA New Signing
I said something similar about Balotelli, albeit after a period of smashing my head against a wall, and slamming my balls in a draw. It was a no lose situation. With our attack, the bar for what would be successful was so low that he really couldn't fail. And then Sturridge's leg fell off and we're left with Mario HAVING to perform.

That's why I think we still need another prime target to come in, like Fekir, before the risk for this move becomes suitably low.
i agree! but i trust Jurgen klopp. he doesnt sign players jus for signing sake. There is a method and long-term vision to his madness. so if he wants to sign gini, ox, robbo, sadio and shaqira (them hips), i totally trust his process. I believe we will get NF and if not, they will have different options. I trust in the decision-making process of our manager and transfer team. No more panic buys. we wait it out if we have to, hello VVD!

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
This is almost a perennial favourite.
First time round I liked the idea,not so much now.
Being interned at Stoke may not have helped him,So to me,unless Kloppthinks he can weave his magic,he is a swerve for me.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

So he's progressing nicely enough up until 2014/15 , which is after he made a bit of a name for himself in the world cup, so i thought "why did bayern sell him ?" .

seems Bayern snatched Inters hands off and cashed in on that world cup euphoria/hysteria .

He's been injury free according to the above - although i could swear that he pulled up with a hamstring injury this season(17/18) in a game where crouch scored with his hand . that might have been last (16/17) ?

he had a good run of games this season and scored a few more goals .

@Anfield rd Dreamer it's quite funny that K.H.R from Bayern says they sold him for his own good so he could play more games ! how can he play when he's injured and misses 42 games whilst with them ? they cashed in on the world cup hat trick. It's far more likely during a time of us doing a few loan deals that we wanted him on loan with a view to buying him and they accepted less for a permanent deal from inter. Given his injury history (my opinion of course)
Confused what your point on injuries Is? Didn't actually realise his injury history was so good. Missing 42 games to injury over 3 seasons is hardly terrible or am I missing something? There are seasons he hasn't missed a single day and most of his time injured has happened in two separate seasons in 13/14 and 16/17.

K

Klopptinho

Confused what your point on injuries Is? Didn't actually realise his injury history was so good. Missing 42 games to injury over 3 seasons is hardly terrible or am I missing something? There are seasons he hasn't missed a single day and most of his time injured has happened in two separate seasons in 13/14 and 16/17.
i was looking for why bayern sold him being as it was not long after he hit the headlines in the world cup 2014 (answer to your question)

the injuries at bayern and stoke have been muscle and they tend to recur . It seems when he does pick up an injury of this nature it does recur.

but this has been the first season (17/18) where he appeared to not pick up an injury .

i thought he did though as he missed 2 games in the league ? perhaps that table is not entirely correct .

fernandowho

TIA New Signing
Been said before, spending big money on a keeper can save you 15 points a season plus as De Gea does. we should push for Oblak first(unlikely he'll leave Athleico) or second best seems to be Alisson. Shakiri would be wasted money in my view...only saying

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Been said before, spending big money on a keeper can save you 15 points a season plus as De Gea does. we should push for Oblak first(unlikely he'll leave Athleico) or second best seems to be Alisson. Shakiri would be wasted money in my view...only saying
15 points a season is massively overstating it, unless you're going from absolute garbage to the best goalkeeper in the world.

Oblak or Alisson would probably be better than Karius but certainly not by 15 points. If that was the case Klopp and co would have no problem dropping 88 million or some other daft sum on them.

fernandowho

TIA New Signing
We should sign Fakir as well, dont forget we will get the Ox back and Lallana hopefully back to full fitness as back up. Clear out the deadwood and get another CB.

fernandowho

TIA New Signing
United are an average side but they finished second with relative ease, player of the season usually De Gea, If they didnt have him between the sticks they are a top 8 side only certainly not top 4

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Think he had his moments linking with arnautovic and allen. Could be a vital substitute.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
15 points a season is massively overstating it, unless you're going from absolute garbage to the best goalkeeper in the world.

Oblak or Alisson would probably be better than Karius but certainly not by 15 points. If that was the case Klopp and co would have no problem dropping 88 million or some other daft sum on them.
What would be the realistic estimate of points saved then? Converting loss to draw & draw to win - say 6 to 9/10 points. Or even this is a bit too much. We have seen how De gea has been a huge difference for Manure. Imho 15 may be a bit much but 9 points could probably be feasible for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.