Xherdan Shaqiri (LW/RW) Stoke

What will Shaqiri be leaning on?

• Disillusioned looking Harry Wilson

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Mavis has been pledging the contract table, so that.

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Collective ‘Meh’.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • HIYH’s excited stiffy.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Melwood railings, not the high ones.

• There will be no lean - the lad is basically a Weebil.

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Klopp’s ankle.

• All the promo from the Fekir deal, hastily repurposed.

• Gigantic (or not?) bottle of slim fast.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Tearful Neil Atkinson.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • A treadmill, vomiting.

• Emre’s leftover hair gel.

Votes: 15 18.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Liverpool have begun talks with Xherdan Shaqiri & are hopeful of completing a deal this month. The £13M release fee is financially attractive & Shaqiri is keen on the move. #LFC can sweeten any deal by offering a loan player & Stoke have enquired about Sheyi Ojo. [@neiljonesgoal]
Sure Liverpool don't have to sweeten the deal as long as they pay the release clause fee

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Most of the LFC journalists are being kept out of the loop it seems, no news from reddy, pearce etc...all coming first from the other side.....let them have their say, but this summer they know very little.
This is said of Reddy and Joyce every summer and they are often proved correct.

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
In the same article Joyce states Shaqiri talks have started and Wilson will likely now leave on loan. Your post was just your own opinion based on what?
Ive based my opinion on why klopp thinks Wilson is not good enough yet by the fact we are sending him on loan. There is enough space in the squad for 2 backup wingers as we start the campaign in 4 competitions yet Wilson is still going out on loan, even further cementing my thoughts on klopp not believing he is ready yet. The post you originally quoted basically answers your question, I cant be arsed saying the same things over and over. If you want to point out why you disagree with a point made by giving a reason then thats all good, but try to read the original post please.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ive based my opinion on why klopp thinks Wilson is not good enough yet by the fact we are sending him on loan. There is enough space in the squad for 2 backup wingers as we start the campaign in 4 competitions yet Wilson is still going out on loan, even further cementing my thoughts on klopp not believing he is ready yet. The post you originally quoted basically answers your question, I cant be arsed saying the same things over and over. If you want to point out why you disagree with a point made by giving a reason then thats all good, but try to read the original post please.
Why bother? You and ARD have collectively made posting in this thread less appealing than going outside and smashing my head against the wall for an hour. I've had my say and have no further interest in engaging with you.

Dave-D

Solanke got 28 appearances last season covering for Firmino, there'll be enough minutes off the bench for it to be a worthwhile year for Wilson.
Solanke only played 583 minutes in the PL last season from 21 games and 5 of those were starts.

Wilson played 996 minutes at Hull in only 11 starts and 2 sub appearances.

If Klopp feels a loan and lots of minutes is better for him I don’t have a problem with that but my opinion is there’s enough room for both Wilson and Shaqiri if Liverpool go far in both the FA and cardboard cups. Also if there’s a injury there’s still a back up on the bench.

@Zinedine Biscan i edited whilst you were replying

Zinedine Biscan

Solanke only played 583 minutes in the PL last season from 21 games and 5 of those were starts.

Wilson played 996 minutes at Hull in only 11 starts and 2 sub appearances.

If Klopp feels a loan and lots of minutes is better for him I don’t have a problem with that.
Just getting minutes on the pitch is useful, but not the be-all and end-all. There's a huge amount to be gained from spending a season learning from Klopp and his coaches while training among a higher calibre of player while learning to play our system. I'm pretty sure he could cover both Salah and Mane as well, while Solanke was covering Firmino who is rarely ever injured or in need of resting.

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
Why bother? You and ARD have collectively made posting in this thread less appealing than going outside and smashing my head against the wall for an hour. I've had my say and have no further interest in engaging with you.
Thats cool mate its just annoying when someone quotes you asking things that are explained in the post they quoted instead of actually making points about why they disagree. You must understand that it is conceivable that Wilson is not and may never be good enough to play at this level. It is also conceivable that a 12 million pound player will be shit, I get that. I trust in Klopp to make the right decisions though. Im sure hed be made up if he could put his faith in any of the youngsters but he obviously feels he cant with Wilson yet. If Wilson has a great season, when he comes back he'll be happier trying to dislodge a 12 million player than a 50-70 million anyway. Its such a low risk move that makes sense in so many ways its hard to understand why its so aggressively apposed by some.

Zinedine Biscan

Thats cool mate its just annoying when someone quotes you asking things that are explained in the post they quoted instead of actually making points about why they disagree. You must understand that it is conceivable that Wilson is not and may never be good enough to play at this level. It is also conceivable that a 12 million pound player will be shit, I get that. I trust in Klopp to make the right decisions though. Im sure hed be made up if he could put his faith in any of the youngsters but he obviously feels he cant with Wilson yet. If Wilson has a great season, when he comes back he'll be happier trying to dislodge a 12 million player than a 50-70 million anyway. Its such a low risk move that makes sense in so many ways its hard to understand why its so aggressively apposed by some.
Thanks for the reasonable response. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on some of these points, but happy to move on.

YeGra

If playing backup to a couple of strong first-teamers who will be expected to play 90%+ of matches next season destroys his career then he would never be the one for us. But better to farm him out on loan though so he can't benefit from working with Klopp or learn how to play our system, right? Because from what Joyce is saying it appears to be a straight choice between the two of them.

Wilson is 21, 22 in March. You'd think he was 17 the way some people speak about him.
He's 21 and hasn't had any Premier league appearances at all yet, correct? To me that speaks more of Klopp not rating him all that highly. His loan moves have also been to lower league teams. I'd have thought he'd be given a chance last season if Klopp deemed him good enough.

He must not be confident enough to put him as the guy to deputise Salah. Can't comment on how much of an injustice that is.

As for Shaqiri itself, it is not an exciting signing but Klopp seems to really progress players particularly of an attacking mindset. I'm confident he'd fit in.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I'm not a huge fan of the player, never have been, but I'm a big fan of Klopp and his ability to get the most out of attacking players.

I'd file this under the low risk-medium reward category. Certainly not a move that gets the blood pumping but hopefully he'll prove to be effective enough to make it worthwhile.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
All I would say to anyone who disagrees, forget what you may think of Stoke, just ask any of their fans about his behaviour last season and his disrespect to the club who paid his wages.
Now why ask people’s opinion that has experienced it when you can cite that he isn’t as arrogant as Ronaldo. If only he has half the productivity and efficiency of that arrogant Portuguese fella....

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
13M for a player with a bad attitude? Considering 36M was spent on Balotelli and Markovic at a time when that was serious cash, it seems like a no brainer to me. He may well spend a season or two here and move on for at least the same fee. We gave Not So Super Mario away for free and not even bleach could shift Markovic.
We get experienced squad depth while Ox is out, a player who is versatile, may well make money on him next summer, and lastly might keep funds in reserve for a badly needed keeper upgrade.

Esoteric

I'm pleased we seem to be going ahead with Shaqiri but I hope it doesn't mean Wilson is sent out on another loan spell. Is Paul Joyce the only one reporting this as likely? We obviously need squad depth and I believe there's a role for both.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Yes, precisely the reason why I think he might be. When Pearce and co start protesting too much about things I get suspicious. I would love to be proved wrong, incidentally. Hopefully common sense will prevail and the Fekir transfer can be revived. Fekir and Shaqiri as a pair would be a great addition.
I don't think he's a replacement for Fekir but the problem is that he might well be painted to be one come the end of the transfer window even though they are fairly different types of player. I don't think Fekir is coming to Liverpool, I don't see Liverpool making a big money signing in this window simply because we know that Klopp is ready to wait on players he wants and that he probably believes that only a select few could improve this side he's assembled.

I never understood the talk of him being overweight and what not, lad is fit as a fiddle but I don't think he's hard working enough to play in a pressing team and he'll have to understand that he won't be first choice here and that he faces a big fight to break into first team if front three stay fit. I feel about his signing the way I felt when Liverpool signed Wijnaldum - intrigued by his potential, aware of his ability but wondering how the hell he signed for a club that just got relegated and why he wasn't playing for a much bigger club. If this was three years ago, all of us would have been over the moon. Now, I just hope he knuckles down and proves Klopp's judgement right.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Solanke got 28 27 appearances last season covering for Firmino, there'll be enough minutes off the bench for it to be a worthwhile year for Wilson.
Average appearance of 27 minutes.
Median appearance of 14 minutes.

7 appearances under 5(!) minutes.
10 appearances under 10 minutes.

Our abortive cup run definitely hurt so there would hopefully be more total minutes available (especially if Wilson would be covering for both LW and RW) but I can see the argument that it wasn't particularly worthwhile for Solanke so might not be what Wilson needs.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Ive just read that Shaqiri made the 6th most chances in the league last season (65) which is only 8 less changes than Eriksen/Fabregas (73) and 13 less than the assist king Ozil (78). He'll surely get a few more assists with our lads.
Since it was Stoke I imagine a lot of those chances might be Shaqiri set piece crosses-->headed shots, but if he's the secret ingredient to scoring from set pieces ourselves I won't turn my nose up at it!

Status
Not open for further replies.