• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Xherdan Shaqiri (LW/RW) Stoke

What will Shaqiri be leaning on?

• Disillusioned looking Harry Wilson

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Mavis has been pledging the contract table, so that.

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Collective ‘Meh’.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • HIYH’s excited stiffy.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Melwood railings, not the high ones.

• There will be no lean - the lad is basically a Weebil.

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Klopp’s ankle.

• All the promo from the Fekir deal, hastily repurposed.

• Gigantic (or not?) bottle of slim fast.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Tearful Neil Atkinson.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • A treadmill, vomiting.

• Emre’s leftover hair gel.

Votes: 15 18.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
I am just wondering and I am a bit skeptical as usual.

Do we really need Shaquiri?
Will he really make a difference?
Is he good enough for LFC?
Will his temperament suit the dressing room or is he a future trouble maker?
Is he a team player?
Is it me that I think he looks fat and a bit like Marlon Brando or he is physique is built like a tank?
Will he be able to adapt to Klopp's demanding training regime?
I just don't know what to think about this potential signing.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Wilson is a winger mate...
Oh really? I haven't seen him play often, but he doesn't seem to me like one. Rather a Fowler-type of player, with not too much pace, but a deadly sense for goal when in the box. Maybe I'm wrong, and will be happy to accept that.

Edit: WHO made up that f.....g poll??? lol

K

Klopptinho

Oh really? I haven't seen him play often, but he doesn't seem to me like one. Rather a Fowler-type of player, with not too much pace, but a deadly sense for goal when in the box. Maybe I'm wrong, and will be happy to accept that.

Edit: WHO made up that f.....g poll??? lol
he's a winger in the new sense of the word .. or a centrally focused wide based footballing individual . ( i think that is the politically correct term ) lol

hoosierred

Ad-free Member

Is he a team player?
Is it me that I think he looks fat and a bit like Marlon Brando or he is physique is built like a tank?
I think temperament and team play are the concerns with him as he did not carry himself at Stoke in a way that seems to have endeared him to fans and some teammates. This is where trusting Klopps judgement on the player is important in feeling comfortable about the move.

He is not fat at all, rather he seems to spend a bit too much time in the weight room building muscle. I suspect he might be a better, faster player with more endurance if he backed of the weights - a little like Joe Gomez last year. But I think it would be very unfair to accuse him of not being fit.

jackh1092

Is he a team player?

Well, unless we play Ings out wide, or Origi...probably....Wilson can't be our only go to guy for width....and he might even end up on loan.
He has shown hes capable of providing game changing moments on the big stage, so yes.
Squad player good enough, yes, not first team week in, week out.
Hes stocky, always has been, will he lose a little maybe with Klopp managing? hopefully.
Not sure he won't be able to adapt, but the question is will he improve for it?
13.5 million in this market is peanuts.....why worry? We have more pressing areas to spend 40mill + on....ok it would be lovely to go buy luxury wingers but it wouldn't be our most important position right now.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
i like it :shocked:

that went over my head .. i just assumed you were referring to joe allen being a poor mans xavi and typing it how the welsh would pronounce it ..lollol
lol yes theres that too! It was too cryptic really. Ive been encouraged and dissuaded by this transfer at times. I cant really call its merit until I see where it is placed in the whole of our summer business. I really want a keeper, more than anything, and agree with @Zinedine Biscan, if this means we forgo Fekir and get a keeper that would be best I feel. As well I just dont see where Fekir and Shaqiri both fit; that will leave us top heavy (no pun intended) Along with Lallana, Henderson (possibly), Keita, Wijnaldum and Ox all vying, even if Shaqiri is support for the wide two only, he could play an advanced 8 also. Its an odd fit for our wide two as I dont see the quick press as a natural predisposition in his game.

richieh10

Honestly don’t understand the negativity around this.

Reported 13.5m release clause is basically peanuts for a player who is already bedded in in the premier league and isn’t a proven international player.

He isn’t going to start unless he comes in and really takes the place by storm but in my opinion a fantastic player to have from the bench or when the starting 11 needs rotating.

An obvious signing that instantly adds quality depth

SBYM

La presión es para neumáticos
Ad-free Member

Reported 13.5m release clause is basically peanuts for a player who is already bedded in in the premier league and isn’t a proven international player.

He isn’t going to start unless he comes in and really takes the place by storm but in my opinion a fantastic player to have from the bench or when the starting 11 needs rotating.

This reflects my opinion completely...and if JK is happy, I am happy.

Colorado Red

TIA New Signing
This definitely seems to be a low risk, potentially high reward signing.

Has played for some big clubs, so will be familiar w/ the pressure of putting on the shirt.
Has (relatively) flopped at said big clubs, so should be eager to show that he belongs, and be motivated to be playing for a top side competing for trophies again.
Has extensive international experience.
Has Champion’s League experience.
Has Premier League experience. Gets the “PL proven” stamp of approval, and can definitely get it done on a rainy day in Stoke.
Has quite a bit in his locker, not to mention those “big shorts” and brings a few things we don’t have a lot of in the squad since Coutinho’s departure. Tends to score the spectacular, rather than routine, in goals, including longer range shots from outside the box, and is above average in both free kicks and corners.

All this, for what should be an outlay of less than 15 million? I’ll take that chance.

As for Wilson, I do hope he gets an opportunity. He’s been tearing it up in the Championship, but remains unproven at the highest level. My hope is he is kept around to train under Klopp and get some cup games in the upcoming season, then re-assess at the winter window. If we have early exits in the cups, or he’s just not getting games, then loan out again for the 2nd half of the season. The alternative is a full season loan to a good attacking side that plays a similar style and where there would be reasonable guarantees of Harry really getting a full season of games to show his “true” level.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
Yeah, this is generating the same level of hump as Robbo and Ox did last year. Unless the player is over 85 in FIFA, fans won't be happy with any signing. (That said, by that metric he's the same level as Fekir, ahahaha)

£13m for a guy who has good technique, obvious athletic ability, plenty of experience at an age where he's hitting peak, and most importantly give us an additional option so we don't have to ride Mo/Mane/Bob into the ground as much doesn't seem like a problem at all.

pottymonster

I am one with the Force, the Force is with me.
No problem with signing Shaqiri whatsoever. I just hope it doesn't mean that we miss out on bringing one or two of our young wingers through.

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
At the price I’d make this deal every day in football manager - and twice on Sunday. In the real world there are some risks and concerns, but I think it would be hard to pass up getting a player of his quality to add depth and options from the bench at a few that really appears well below his current market value.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir

Shouldn't we buying players that can come in and compete for a starting spot? Besides I think we need to keep the attack fresh and you do that by bringing in new players to ideally dislodge the current starters to provide that freshness. We can't rest on our laurels we need to keep doing different things. Shaqiri for me is just a "meh" kind of signing but I guess for the figures quoted its a good deal just not the kind of player that is going to seriously compete and win out over Salah and or Mane. He is very much a squad player coming in at a good price, not an exciting signing and with this being the silly season I'm very much not impressed by this. Maybe when the season starts and we see how he fits into the squad and the plans that Klopp has for him I'll feel differently but for now I am very much not into this signing. It reeks of us buying him just cause he's available for a bargain. I was hoping for more of a high risk high reward signing like Lozano, he's at least someone that can eventually become better than Mane or Salah and dislodge them and become first choice. Shaqiri likely won't ever beat them out for a starting spot but should do o.k when he's called to start even though he's not played well under those circumstances like when at Bayern.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
lol yes theres that too! It was too cryptic really. Ive been encouraged and dissuaded by this transfer at times. I cant really call its merit until I see where it is placed in the whole of our summer business. I really want a keeper, more than anything, and agree with @Zinedine Biscan, if this means we forgo Fekir and get a keeper that would be best I feel. As well I just dont see where Fekir and Shaqiri both fit; that will leave us top heavy (no pun intended) Along with Lallana, Henderson (possibly), Keita, Wijnaldum and Ox all vying, even if Shaqiri is support for the wide two only, he could play an advanced 8 also. Its an odd fit for our wide two as I dont see the quick press as a natural predisposition in his game.

I think we are desperate for an attacking midfielder to help open up those parked buses and big us some options off the bench. Shaqiri will provide depth in the wide forward position though he's best on the right and not so good on the left. Fekir would play central behind the front 3 and possibly beside Keita. With Ox out likely until January we need a creative player in the middle of the park, someone to get goals from midfield so we aren't relying on the front 3 to get the goals. Apart from Keita I don't see anyone getting goals from midfield and we need more goals just as much as we need to concede less goals.

Anyway why does it have to be a one or the other kind of situation here? We need a forward to compete with the front 3, we need an attacking midfielder and a keeper not just 2 out of 3. Are we broke? I think not so we need to quit penny pinching and get the right players to help us compete.

Blitzkrieg

Anfield/Sydney/Orange County
13m for a bloke with fantastic technical ability, proven goal-scoring prowess from wide areas, set-piece chops and a desire to attack defenders at pace? Yeah, sign me up.

I do not get one iota of the hand wringing over this. He's cheap, and would be a huge upgrade to the wide players we currently have to bring on for the last 20 minutes of games. He'd be a genuine difference maker running at tired legs.

And if it doesn't work, you bin him. At 13m, where's the risk?

SC LFC Fan

13m for a bloke with fantastic technical ability, proven goal-scoring prowess from wide areas, set-piece chops and a desire to attack defenders at pace? Yeah, sign me up.

I do not get one iota of the hand wringing over this. He's cheap, and would be a huge upgrade to the wide players we currently have to bring on for the last 20 minutes of games. He'd be a genuine difference maker running at tired legs.

Sorry, clearly you're in love with him and want him over every other player on the planet.

RedStefarus

TIA Youth Team

For me, the risk isn’t the 13m...for me the risk is having to play him when Salah is out.
But, I’m warming up to the idea. We have a bigger problem in our starting 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.