• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Xherdan Shaqiri (LW/RW) Stoke

What will Shaqiri be leaning on?

• Disillusioned looking Harry Wilson

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Mavis has been pledging the contract table, so that.

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Collective ‘Meh’.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • HIYH’s excited stiffy.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Melwood railings, not the high ones.

• There will be no lean - the lad is basically a Weebil.

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Klopp’s ankle.

• All the promo from the Fekir deal, hastily repurposed.

• Gigantic (or not?) bottle of slim fast.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Tearful Neil Atkinson.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • A treadmill, vomiting.

• Emre’s leftover hair gel.

Votes: 15 18.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Its a smart move.

Its who I said in the who you would buy thread back in April/early May, when rumors about Stoke release clauses started.

I absolutely get the negativity. He would be a very average signing for most of the top 6 teams. For us I think its different. He is a direct forward, with pace and takes on his man. In our team that fits in perfectly with our play. Stretches opposition, and maintains the general fluidity to our attacking play (which is lost with Ings, Solanke, Sturridge).

Its more about a player fitting our style of play and adding depth, rather than a top tier player.

I personally think he will thrive, with more space, and playing in a team that suits his attacking attributes.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Pretty sure the Shaqiri Klopp has playing for us will be performing something like this (which, despite the miss, was good enough he should have had 4 assists against City! Surely good enough?);

Barnestormer

Left wing.
I think we are desperate for an attacking midfielder to help open up those parked buses and big us some options off the bench. Shaqiri will provide depth in the wide forward position though he's best on the right and not so good on the left. Fekir would play central behind the front 3 and possibly beside Keita. With Ox out likely until January we need a creative player in the middle of the park, someone to get goals from midfield so we aren't relying on the front 3 to get the goals. Apart from Keita I don't see anyone getting goals from midfield and we need more goals just as much as we need to concede less goals.

Anyway why does it have to be a one or the other kind of situation here? We need a forward to compete with the front 3, we need an attacking midfielder and a keeper not just 2 out of 3. Are we broke? I think not so we need to quit penny pinching and get the right players to help us compete.
No I dont think we are broke but then we dont have infinite resources either. Its about where this transfer places in the priorities of the wider window, and I think a keeper ranks above this one. It actually does, although we do need cover for the front three. Just how those ends are met is my point. But this, is comparably cheap. I still need to see a new goalie to be content. So if we now go and get Fekir too, and not a goalkeeper, not only myself, will be thinking WTF.

richieh10

Shouldn't we buying players that can come in and compete for a starting spot? Besides I think we need to keep the attack fresh and you do that by bringing in new players to ideally dislodge the current starters to provide that freshness. We can't rest on our laurels we need to keep doing different things. Shaqiri for me is just a "meh" kind of signing but I guess for the figures quoted its a good deal just not the kind of player that is going to seriously compete and win out over Salah and or Mane. He is very much a squad player coming in at a good price, not an exciting signing and with this being the silly season I'm very much not impressed by this. Maybe when the season starts and we see how he fits into the squad and the plans that Klopp has for him I'll feel differently but for now I am very much not into this signing. It reeks of us buying him just cause he's available for a bargain. I was hoping for more of a high risk high reward signing like Lozano, he's at least someone that can eventually become better than Mane or Salah and dislodge them and become first choice. Shaqiri likely won't ever beat them out for a starting spot but should do o.k when he's called to start even though he's not played well under those circumstances like when at Bayern.
Yes but the last 4-5 games of the season our attack and midfield was running on empty. Midfield we had some injury problems but attack we had Mo, Bobby, Mane and then the only subs were Ings and Solanke - not the same impact.

By having a better quality player that means we can keep the top 3 fresh for bigger games and they can be rested for the so called smaller teams

richieh10

No I dont think we are broke but then we dont have infinite resources either. Its about where this transfer places in the priorities of the wider window, and I think a keeper ranks above this one. It actually does, although we do need cover for the front three. Just how those ends are met is my point. But this, is comparably cheap. I still need to see a new goalie to be content. So if we now go and get Fekir too, and not goalkeeper, not only myself, will be thinking WTF.
You’ll have to be patient my friend. Remember VVD.

Klopp will have 1 maybe 2 at the very most 3 targets GK that he will bring in. He won’t waiver from this and as we saw with VVD he will be prepared to wait until that player becomes available.

Rumours to be believed it is one of
Alisson
Oblak
Courtois
Cillesen
Lazio keeper (don’t remember his name)

I’ll throw this one in there just for shits n giggles.

Pickford....

richieh10

@richieh10 yep for sure; but not any one of the first three you listed I suspect.

I'd take Pickford over what we have actually.
I thought he was a massive prospect t at Sunderland, didn’t fancy him coz of where he went next... but after seeing some of his saves is defo go in with 50-60 million for him.

Better than Alisson and Cillessen imo

Barnestormer

Left wing.
I thought he was a massive prospect t at Sunderland, didn’t fancy him coz of where he went next... but after seeing some of his saves is defo go in with 50-60 million for him.

Better than Alisson and Cillessen imo
Yes he'd be that much now; Bitters rubbing their hands. Straying briefly, I dont rate Allison at all; no thanks.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Shouldn't we buying players that can come in and compete for a starting spot? Besides I think we need to keep the attack fresh and you do that by bringing in new players to ideally dislodge the current starters to provide that freshness. We can't rest on our laurels we need to keep doing different things. Shaqiri for me is just a "meh" kind of signing but I guess for the figures quoted its a good deal just not the kind of player that is going to seriously compete and win out over Salah and or Mane. He is very much a squad player coming in at a good price, not an exciting signing and with this being the silly season I'm very much not impressed by this. Maybe when the season starts and we see how he fits into the squad and the plans that Klopp has for him I'll feel differently but for now I am very much not into this signing. It reeks of us buying him just cause he's available for a bargain. I was hoping for more of a high risk high reward signing like Lozano, he's at least someone that can eventually become better than Mane or Salah and dislodge them and become first choice. Shaqiri likely won't ever beat them out for a starting spot but should do o.k when he's called to start even though he's not played well under those circumstances like when at Bayern.
Few replies to the points in this post.

1; How good and how much would we have to spend on a target to be seen as as-good or better than our starting front 3 BEFORE the transfer? When was the last time we signed a player that, before we signed them, you could say they were definitely better than our current three? Maybe Torres?

2; Do we even need that? As a starting front 3 they are excellent. We have absolutely no like for like cover for them though so we are subbing Salah with Lallana or Ings.

3; Why on earth do you have so much faith in Lozano? He's never played at a high level and he's never even been player of the year at the levels he has played at from what I can see.

4; At Bayern Shaqiri had a goal or assist every 101 minutes. If not being able to displace Robben and Ribery, at their peak, but still contribute like that as back up/rotatation is seen as "not playing well in those circumstances" then I hope he replicates it here.

5; It almost certainly is due to price. We have to be realistic here we were never going to be spending 100 million on Ronaldo to sit on the bench and rotate with Salah and Mane to keep them fresh were we? We also aren't in a position to even spend 50/60 million on a back up winger whilst we are possibly going to get fleeced on prices for an AM and Keeper who might be starters for us are we? Its all about priorities.

6; If Shaqiri comes in then, as he is now, he'll improve our squad options with a better like for like replacement for our wingers. He'll help to keep them fresh and firing whilst covering injuries. If he rediscovers his best form (that he has already shown previously so we know its a possibility) he'll push Mane for starts all the way and keep Sadio on his toes. If he actually finally taps into his full potential (which is unlikely but possible under Klopp) we'd have a beast of a player on our hands and itd drive our attack up another level.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Could you explain 'leaning' Ive been miffed about it for weeks?
Just that whenever anyone signs for us, they are photographed leaning on something. Usually a bit of Melwood.

Although lately the trend has been sitting at a table with a fake contract on it, in front of a big wall of sponsors.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
That’s brilliant. They haven’t even put any context about why ‘leaning’ is a thing.

Must have been a slow news day.
Thanks I couldn't work it out until I asked then I thought oh yeah; amusing though. Good find.

They could have gave you a mention - do we have an IP issue here :shocked:

big noyd

he crossed the ball a lot for stoke largely because they were shit

clever player with excellent technique, will be able to pick out late runners & make things happen in our setup

and after seeing how paunchy he is in some of the stoke highlights, off the back of the world cup is the perfect time to bring him in

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
This is a decent deal,good price,gives us a wide option which will not go astray and I believe he will do well under Klopp.
Also gives the lad a chance to show what he can do,which I reckon is quite a bit.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Like i wrote a few times already - signing Shaqiri only makes sense if we sign Fekir (or someone like him) too. So i will wait to welcome him.

Btw i have the power to cancel the Shaqiri deal by myself. I could transfer him on FIFA today to test him as a Liverpool player and you will see something will happen before he can sign a contract. Worked with Alex Teixeira, Bony, Remy and Fekir - the Fekir one did hurt the most because i transfered him a few hours before Lyon released the statement.

Maybe we should start a poll. Do you want him at Liverpool or Not? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.