Xherdan Shaqiri (LW/RW) Stoke

What will Shaqiri be leaning on?

• Disillusioned looking Harry Wilson

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Mavis has been pledging the contract table, so that.

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Collective ‘Meh’.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • HIYH’s excited stiffy.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Melwood railings, not the high ones.

• There will be no lean - the lad is basically a Weebil.

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Klopp’s ankle.

• All the promo from the Fekir deal, hastily repurposed.

• Gigantic (or not?) bottle of slim fast.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Tearful Neil Atkinson.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • A treadmill, vomiting.

• Emre’s leftover hair gel.

Votes: 15 18.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSeven

On the one road
Underwhelming. We should be aiming higher here. Not sure he's a viable alternative for Mane and or Salah when they're out. Not much of a goalscorer either.

Perhaps though I won't look too closely on this deal alone but more the wider context on the window as a whole. If we sign Fekir or someone equally as good plus a top centre back and or goalkeeper, then that might be ok.

He had 8 goals and 7 assists in the league playing for a shite side who created next to nothing for him.Mane scored 10 and created 7 playing for the most attacking team in the league.Given the opportunity i think he'll do very well for us.
I don't think his signing will have any bearing on weather or not we sign Fekir and/or a new keeper,it's just a good bit of business for a good player.

Pins88

If he can get 10 goals this season then that would be a great help especially if we are going to put on a serious title challenge this season.

afrikana

TIA Squad Member
He had 8 goals and 7 assists in the league playing for a shite side who created next to nothing for him.Mane scored 10 and created 7 playing for the most attacking team in the league.Given the opportunity i think he'll do very well for us.
Stats may look similar but how the opposition set up when playing against Stoke would be different; Mane doesn't enjoy as much space.

Underwhelmed but looks to be happening; wouldn't be that bothered if we are still looking for a top quality attacker.

peter roberts

On the Celtic Ray
At the price it's an absolute no-brainer. I just hope he comes with the right attitude and the determination to become a regular starter rather than be happy to sit on the bench , picking up a big wage and making the occasional cameo appearance. Come on Shaq lad , the world is your lobster now.

Fowler's Left Peg

Mind Boggling!!!

A few years ago people were gutted we didn't buy him to play in our starting 11, now people are upset we are signing him to sit on our bench. Just goes to show how far we have come.

It a decent signing in my opinion, fixes a problem we have had all last season, cover for the front 3, and impact off the bench. The players we were bringing on were not having any impact, this guy certainly will.

I understand the argument about giving the kids a chance but if they are good enough they will make it anyway, I want quality through the squad and at this price he is a steal.

Fekir next and then a late window bid for a keeper I reckon.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Stats may look similar but how the opposition set up when playing against Stoke would be different; Mane doesn't enjoy as much space.

Underwhelmed but looks to be happening; wouldn't be that bothered if we are still looking for a top quality attacker.
Yeah but the way Stoke set up is also different, the aim of Liverpool is to play teams off the park, the aim of Stoke is to nick a goal.

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren

Livvy

Alles wird gut
Well I guess he already knows Kornmayer and Mona Nemmer from his time at Bayern and our style of play is no secret as well.

He will surely need some time to adept as we've already seen with Ox and Robbo before but tbh I'm quite curious how this turns out.

RedSeven

On the one road

The speed of our attack creates space for mane and the lads to score/assist whereas stoke are generally slow and lumbering when not just lumping it forward which can make things a lot more difficult for a good player to shine.He may look better than team mates,but when they're all shit................

NoRushtoscore

The speed of our attack creates space for mane and the lads to score/assist whereas stoke are generally slow and lumbering when not just lumping it forward which can make things a lot more difficult for a good player to shine.He may look better than team mates,but when they're all shit................
Bit harsh. He's the stand out player for Switzerland who are ranked 6th in the world. I'm not sure he's slow or lumbering. Took me a while to get my head round this one as well-but at the price quoted it represents good value for money and minimal downside (but potentially some upside if he comes in and performs well).

RedSeven

On the one road
Bit harsh. He's the stand out player for Switzerland who are ranked 6th in the world. I'm not sure he's slow or lumbering. Took me a while to get my head round this one as well-but at the price quoted it represents good value for money and minimal downside (but potentially some upside if he comes in and performs well).
I'm not saying Shaqiri is,i'm saying the stoke attack is.I think he'll be excellent for us.

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
I don't think we'll get a top class keeper. We may sign a keeper if Mignolet moves on. Karious may be moved out too leaving Ward as number 1 we may go for Pope to compete with Ward

The saved money might be used to bring in another attacking player. Shaqiri won't be the answer on his own.
Agree think Fekir is still the most likely big money arrival, would be a bit concerned if Ward is our #1 good lad who works had by all accounts but untested at the top level . Pope feels a bit the same but at least has 1 full season under his belt.

Shaqiri was their focal point though so he would have been targeted by opposition teams knowing if they kept him quiet Stoke would struggle. He should actually get more space with us as the defenders will have Bobby and Mo and Mane to worry about as well Shaqiri.

Stoke scored 35 goals total for the season and Shaqiri was involved in 15 of those 35.

richieh10

Just out of interest where are all these “his medical is today” “he will sign at 2pm” comments coming from.

Just guesses or more concrete

GaryBarlow99

Just out of interest where are all these “his medical is today” “he will sign at 2pm” comments coming from.

All the reliable journos are saying he is having his medical today and he will be announced before the weekend.

Kopstar

★★★★★

Fuck me, nobody wants to play along then, huh?

All of the reliable journos are reporting he's having/had his medical today (see the twitter thread for full details)...Pearce, Joyce, Reddy all reporting it saying that announcement will follow.

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren

All of the reliable journos are reporting he's having/had his medical today (see the twitter thread for full details)...Pearce, Joyce, Reddy all reporting it saying that announcement will follow.
*raises a tentative hand*

I did.

richieh10

Like they did with Fekir you mean :tongue:

I’ll wait until I seen the Alpine Messi in full kit having a kick about at Melwood cheers Chaps...

Second thoughts fuck it I’ll go announcement by 6pm

hoosierred

I was just disappointed that you didn’t double down on your random guess and insist the announcement had happen, but the press was being slow in reporting it

Status
Not open for further replies.