Xherdan Shaqiri - Welcome to Liverpool!

LFCFFC

Really don't see any negatives to this one.

For the price, he's a fantastic signing, especially in today's market. Can play both sides, has a decent shot on him from distance and is dangerous from a set piece. It's harsh to judge him on his time from Stoke when he was often their only attacking outlet and had to rely on the creative genius of Charlie Adam or Stephen Ireland to get the ball to him. Granted his stock has fallen, but he may benefit majorly from playing with a far superior group of team mates with reduced responsibility. He could prove to be a real weapon coming off the bench and at the very least is much needed rotation for Sadio and Mo.

Any doubts over his attitude/work rate are allayed for me by the simple fact that Klopp's given this the tick of approval.

Welcome cube!

Incognito

The Normal One
Very happy with the signing. Looks positive and determined and up for the ask, knows the challenge he has here and still wants to be part of it. That will definitely reflect on his game when the chips are down. He seems up for it judging by his interview and he'll get his chances! I start as a believer as far as this lad is concerned, he knows the league pretty well which is a bonus. :-)

VVD, Lovren, Shaqs, Keita and Fabinho. We are getting the swagger and arrogance about our team to compensate for the good guys we have. Bring on the season!

ETA: Oh and that's no 8 and no 23, two legendary numbers sorted. Get us a 10 now Jurgen ;-)

Last edited:

RedForever2014

He seems positive and at 26 has good experience and is at his peak physically.

It's his last chance to be the player everyone thought he'd be and being at LFC after Stoke will feel like wonderland for him.

We need more attitude and he's got that as someone said.

Get Fekir and a gobby keeper and we'd have that down the spine.

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
Here's hoping Klopp takes him aside as he did with Gomez and gets him to lose some of that muscle. Will increase his mobility and allow him to play more to our strengths

Welcome to 'no brainer' power cube.
Don't worry I was all for this move it was a no brainer. Klopp has spoken and I hope all you doubters are hanging your heads in shame. Fancy not seeing this as a no brainer all those without a brain. lol
Attitude problem my arse, Klopp will have this one running in no time. :-)

RedForever2014

Welcome to Liverpool FC Xherdan.

Wishing you every success and happiness at our beloved club. Work and and just do your best.

Best of luck. YNWA.

ETA: For some reason you remind me of a young Marlon Brando:-)
Breaking news - Sergio Ramos wakes up next to a dead horse. Spurs deny that Harry Kane has been sold to Real Madrid.

Commando

Thanks for posting this @Anfield rd Dreamer. I'm going to start looking through these 'Players Tribune' articles. I've seen two now for Xherdan and Romelu Lukaku. Both have been very good reads and put a human face to the players we see out there on the pitch. I saw a LFCTV programme in a similar vein to these articles on Dejan and his upbringing and it brought home to me how much some players have been through to achieve their dreams.

likewise

Our very own cube. God I love it. I'm really not sure why. Every time he scores I'm going to scream "POWER CUUUUUUUUUUUBE," and it will never get old for me. Never.

James H

"One word: Thundercougarfalconbird"
he's always struck me as a bit overweight,
Here's hoping Klopp takes him aside as he did with Gomez and gets him to lose some of that muscle.
We are aware that this guys been around professional soccer for the best part of a decade and would have both his weights and diet program done for him by other highly trained professionals? He doesn't just wander to a gym by himself and start lifting.

Dane

Willing to drive Matip to the airport
We are aware that this guys been around professional soccer for the best part of a decade and would have both his weights and diet program done for him by other highly trained professionals?
Well he's been having the odd sneaky burger and doughnut then.

Maria

Breaking news - Sergio Ramos wakes up next to a dead horse. Spurs deny that Harry Kane has been sold to Real Madrid.
Sorry, I am not getting the joke. If you look at old black and white pictures of Brando, the likeness is surreal.

Elessar

He is a very good player, the problem is his mentality but I think that was more down to Mark Hughes. He wasn't the only player that stopped working their socks off and started to work harder after Hughes got sacked.

We will have to wait and see if he got the right mentality. I don't have a problem with the gesture he did at the world cup. It isn't only against Serbia he done that gesture so it wasn't something he did to upset the Serbian players and fans. It is just something he do.

Stupid by FIFA to punish him but I am not surprised. It is FIFA.

Welcome to Liverpool FC and you will never walk alone if you show the right mentality even if you have bad games.

liver1

Signing Shaqiri is like buying a bargain in the sales. It requires little thought and as Klopp has said is a no brainer.

Do I like this jumper? Yeh its quite good it fits well. Do I need a jumper? Yes. Is it the exact one that im looking for, no not quite.

But its £5. Deal done. It can go in my wardrobe with the rest of my clothes to wear. Not too much to think about.

Onto the next item to buy.

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
We are aware that this guys been around professional soccer for the best part of a decade and would have both his weights and diet program done for him by other highly trained professionals? He doesn't just wander to a gym by himself and start lifting.

Joe has been with us a few years and Klopp is quoted as saying he had to advise him to change his routine as it was building too much muscle. Think expression he used was that he had a body for the beach rather than football. Different regime required for our game that focuses on pace rather than being a mini tank. I dont think he's fat, far from it, but rather carrying a LOT of muscle weight

I don't have a problem with the gesture he did at the world cup. It isn't only against Serbia he done that gesture so it wasn't something he did to upset the Serbian players and fans. It is just something he do.

Stupid by FIFA to punish him but I am not surprised. It is FIFA.
What's the FA's take on this. Surely the moral highground (moral highground my a**) that they take over these kind of incidents should already be clear to our club?

RaoulDuke

Wind-Down Merchant
Sorry, I am not getting the joke. If you look at old black and white pictures of Brando, the likeness is surreal.
Then give us an example in the foorballers look alike thread, please.
I can only see a very vague resemblance (shape of the head, hair a bit).
Young Brando was much better looking in my opinion.
But that does not matter.
This a football club and we are not hiring actors and lingerie models to play the game.
There have been only a few cases that worked in football (Ronaldo, Beckham e.g.)

;-)

Joe has been with us a few years and Klopp is quoted as saying he had to advise him to change his routine as it was building too much muscle. Think expression he used was that he had a body for the beach rather than football. Different regime required for our game that focuses on pace rather than being a mini tank. I dont think he's fat, far from it, but rather carrying a LOT of muscle weight
Maybe Gomez watched too much of Baywatch. ;-)

OLDIE

TIA New Signing
I must admit that I have not been his biggest fan. I didn't like him at Stoke City.

Now we have signed him, I must forget that I didn't like him; and just get on with supporting my club, my team and all the players lucky enough to wear our shirt.

Good first interview too

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
I wouldn't be surprised to see him becoming leaner over the next months/years with us. Other players, albeit younger, have already gone that way (ie. Gomez, Solanke). Robertson also changed his shape significantly in the first few months at the club, before he got playing time.

Anyway, he'll keep that very particular, cubic shape. When he was a young lad, he reminded me a lot of Maradona, and in a lesser way, of Messi. There aren't many football players with this kind of shape. At Stoke, he hit the gym maybe a bit too much, but if that has caused a fitness issue, no doubt that Klopp and co will help him to address this.

When he gets much older, chances are that he'll follow Maradona's way (hopefully less the drug addiction haha), but for now, the club will no doubt do everything to help him bringing his body into 100% top form, which it currently isn't imo, due to his time at Stoke. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get the 'Klopp-treatment' over the next times: intensive training and not much playing time, before being given gradually more and more playing time with months going by.

James H

"One word: Thundercougarfalconbird"
Some muscle weight could be lost but shaqiri 4years ago at the last world cup was still blocky if not quite this big. I don't think our game focuses on pace specifically, more so a combination of power development and endurance. We only have two positions where pace is key but we've also played players there that weren't overly pacey, (e.g. coutinho) What'll more than likely happen is he'll be whipped straight off hypertrophy program and onto a strength/power program.

Danny_

He hits a gorgeous one with his right foot about 39 seconds in, too.
Yeah and the run at the end as well was really good. There are flashes of a good player there. I don't know - I remember when he was at Bayern, he was touted as being a really good prospect. Then he went to Stoke and didn't do much (that video is over 3 years and all the goals he scored, even if they were good ones). Will wait and see - knowing Klopp, he will probably turn him into a top player. :-)