Xherdan Shaqiri - Welcome to Liverpool!

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Huge transfer for that price imo. Bargain of the season perhaps??

I was one of those that thought he would be the new Ribery for Bayern so I was left bemused that he somehow ended up at Stoke?! madness really.

I'm confident Klopp will get his career back on track cause he's an outstanding talent, Jurgen obviously knows this from his time in Germany, and we know Klopp has eyes for the real gems, shaqiri is most likely one of them. Excited to follow his progress. Nice on LFC :well done:

Maria

@Maria

Shaqiri=Brando=Godfather

Mafia put horses head in bed of adversaries.

Ramos is adversary.

Harry Kane looks like a horse.

Apologies if it was a poor joke.
No worries, it's me who is denselol. I have watched the Godfather trilogy so many times, I should know this by now.
Thank you for the clarification.

Last edited:

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
I wouldn't be surprised to see him becoming leaner over the next months/years with us. Other players, albeit younger, have already gone that way (ie. Gomez, Solanke). Robertson also changed his shape significantly in the first few months at the club, before he got playing time.

Anyway, he'll keep that very particular, cubic shape. When he was a young lad, he reminded me a lot of Maradona, and in a lesser way, of Messi. There aren't many football players with this kind of shape. At Stoke, he hit the gym maybe a bit too much, but if that has caused a fitness issue, no doubt that Klopp and co will help him to address this.

When he gets much older, chances are that he'll follow Maradona's way (hopefully less the drug addiction haha), but for now, the club will no doubt do everything to help him bringing his body into 100% top form, which it currently isn't imo, due to his time at Stoke. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get the 'Klopp-treatment' over the next times: intensive training and not much playing time, before being given gradually more and more playing time with months going by.
Mentioning maradonna and Messi, even in context.......

Good to see you keeping a lid on it mate.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
I honestly don't understand all the excitement about this signing. He is an eztablished PL winger, he isn't slow but not anywhere need Mane, Salah, Sane or Sterlung in terms of speed. Has a history of sulking even during matches, great technical skills, never set the league on fire, even when Stoke were mid table. If it wasn't for the price, nobody would look at him in this level.
For me, I am affraid that players like Kent and Wilson will have even less of a chance to prove themselves.

Yup.. he is already here and is yet to kick a ball for us. Lets get behind the little powercube and support him. He can't be bad than Downing, koncheski, jovanovic, joe cole, charlie adam etc..

Ps - Well if he is, then he will get the same treatment as the above - but that remains to be seen and is atleast a few months or even a season away.

Funny thing, I have an almost identical photo of Klopp with Karius.
I am still trying to understand that one...
The point is that we should all have faith that Klopp knows what he’s doing and that incoming players should be given a chance to prove themselves, not written off as worthless before they have even kicked a ball for us.

GTA_G20

FirminoFan
I honestly don't understand all the excitement about this signing. He is an eztablished PL winger, he isn't slow but not anywhere need Mane, Salah, Sane or Sterlung in terms of speed. Has a history of sulking even during matches, great technical skills, never set the league on fire, even when Stoke were mid table. If it wasn't for the price, nobody would look at him in this level.
For me, I am affraid that players like Kent and Wilson will have even less of a chance to prove themselves.
Before he went to Stoke he was balling at Bayern!!! I was floored that Stoke was able.to.even get their hands on him. He's been there best player for the last 4 years. I don't think anyone could tell me another decent footballer at Stoke besides butland. I would imagine it being hard to go.from playing at the top German team to go and waste your talents at Stoke. You will see.the talent this kid has very shortly

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
I honestly don't understand that sentiment, If they're good enough they will break through eventually. Why would you weaken the side and risk points just to find out if some kid may have the potential or not. They need to prove that elsewhere like everyone else have in the first team.

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
Klopp sees wilson and Kent everyday in training, he knows how good they are and will kn owe when they are ready for the first team. For Wilson the priority may well be getting games. Here he would be bench warming. Maybe Shaq is a better option as a reserve, or has more chances to break into the first 11. Either way, Klopp has his reasons.

Before he went to Stoke he was balling at Bayern!!! I was floored that Stoke was able.to.even get their hands on him. He's been there best player for the last 4 years. I don't think anyone could tell me another decent footballer at Stoke besides butland. I would imagine it being hard to go.from playing at the top German team to go and waste your talents at Stoke. You will see.the talent this kid has very shortly
Ryan Shawcroos, he's decent. That is the extent of my knowledge of Stoke however I didn't even need to think about it.

Klopp sees wilson and Kent everyday in training, he knows how good they are and will kn owe when they are ready for the first team. For Wilson the priority may well be getting games. Here he would be bench warming. Maybe Shaq is a better option as a reserve, or has more chances to break into the first 11. Either way, Klopp has his reasons.
He even told us, it's a 'no brainer'. ;-)

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Mentioning maradonna and Messi, even in context.......

Good to see you keeping a lid on it mate.
Only regarding his shape, mate, only his shape... ;-)

Limiescouse

I honestly don't understand that sentiment, If they're good enough they will break through eventually. Why would you weaken the side and risk points just to find out if some kid may have the potential or not. They need to prove that elsewhere like everyone else have in the first team.
Also, giving the kids their shot is not just some random roll of the dice. Outside of an extensive injury crisis, it happens because they have demonstrated in training that they are ready for their shot, and are then given the chance to show if they can replicate that in a real game. Klopp has shown he is willing to give kids games, and so if he is building his squad for the season in a way that keeps certain kids on the outside then it is because they have not shown enough for him to think they are worth giving a spot to.

Kids earn their chance with the first team, they are not given it.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
Happy about this move, not as happy as Hope but still quite excited, the front 3 has now become the front 4, think he will get a lot of game time.

Think the Powercube will be a fantastic signing for us, an absolute bargain, this quality for just £13m, that's insane value for money.Well done Edwards and team, youve brought in yet another astute signing, Fekir and God-willing, a proper 'keeper to come. Liked his interview when he kept talking about winning titles, sounds like a winner and we need more of that winning mentality in the side.

Welcome to LFC Xherdan.

Strictly Armchair

I was 'meh' regarding this one but if Klopp reckons he's good enough ...

Just watched the Scout Nation YouTube clip again,
What stands out on there is the weight of the passes he plays. What also stands out is how many of the opportunities he created were wasted by his teammates. I started thinking about how some of our lads would love to be on the end of those. Firmino or Mané being put clean through by his deliveries. Keïta or Ox receiving an incisive through ball after running beyond an opposition defence. Another option could be if Klopp decided to go a bit mad and have Shaqiri and Salah running riot together, giving the left hand side of some poor opposition defence a torrid time. Shaqiri's passing ability will be useful when we're trying to break down the ten behind the ball teams who we'll be facing regularly next season. His assist numbers could end up looking quite impressive come May. Not to forget his own ability with free kicks as we're a bit lacking in that area at the moment.

Good luck to opponents stopping that little lot next season. In '14-'15 if you stopped Coutinho you pretty much stopped us. In '15-'16 he at least had Firmino as a foil so we had another prong to our attack. In '16-'17 they were joined by Mané and our goals tally reflected the increased attacking options as the opposition had more to deal with. Last season we added Salah and, despite losing Coutinho halfway through, frightened and steamrollered many teams until we started to run out of gas right at the end of the season. Now add Shaqiri as a rotation option. Not only that, where we once had the defensively minded Clyne along with aimless Alby we now have two good wide options in Robertson and TAA to stretch opposition defences even further. Anyone could be fooled into believing that Klopp and the transfer committee actually knew what they were doing.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
Like many here, I've seen quite a lot of Shakiri when BR tried to bring him, and after that With Stoke and now the world cup. Here is the quedtion, in the CL final last season Real were able to bring Bale from the bench, our option now is Shakiri. Does he look like any where near that level ?
If he would have cost 40mil, would you still think it was a good deal. He is a bargain because he is cheap, not because he is that good.

Young players need chances to prove themselves, if there are 3 senior players for a position, than the 4th option never gets to play. There is only so much time a player is willing to wait to get a shot.