Xherdan Shaqiri - Welcome to Liverpool!

kaeolian

TIA Youth Team
I'm really happy about this signing, I always hated seeing him play against us when at Stoke as you knew he could create something even if the rest of the team weren't playing well.

Welcome to LFC Xherdan YNWA

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
As @Zinedine Biscan tried to explain my earlier comments, I will try again.
Klopp has shown that he is willing to wait for the right player and pay for him, rather than go for 2nd best. You buy players who will improve the team.
We want /need to compete against the best teams in the world, with their deep pockets. We need to be able to have a players on the bench who have a true case to start in the first place. Klopp, like every manager, wants the problem of who should he play.
Maybe Klopp thinks he is that good, maybe he doesn't think Kent and Wilson are good enough. I hope he is right on the first part, and proven wrong on the second.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
As @Zinedine Biscan tried to explain my earlier comments, I will try again.
Klopp has shown that he is willing to wait for the right player and pay for him, rather than go for 2nd best. You buy players who will improve the team.
We want /need to compete against the best teams in the world, with their deep pockets. We need to be able to have a players on the bench who have a true case to start in the first place. Klopp, like every manager, wants the problem of who should he play.
Maybe Klopp thinks he is that good, maybe he doesn't think Kent and Wilson are good enough. I hope he is right on the first part, and proven wrong on the second.
Problem at the end of last season was that there was just too big a drop in quality from our front 3 to the back ups. No disrespect to Solanke/Ings but they are just not in the same orbit as our front 3 and you could see teams relax when one of them came on. We need more intermediate quality players, like Shaqiri, who at least have the potential now (not in 2 or 3 years time) to push the likes of Mane, Salah if they play to their full potential and who teams will need to be wary of.

Obviously Wilson, Kent, Woodburn etc aren't near Shaqiri's level yet. I'd like to think we'd use the domestic cups to give some of these lads a chance but realistically they are not all going to make it here. We are now discussing a team that is going to be expected to challenge for the title and the CL next season and you have to be exceptional as a youngster to break through. TAA has made it so the door isn't completely shut but we desperately need more strength in depth in the squad now. The Shaqiri signing makes perfect sense in that respect.

Dane

Willing to drive Matip to the airport
Problem at the end of last season was that there was just too big a drop in quality from our front 3 to the back ups.
There lies the problem that so many fans either dont understand or choose to ignore.

No top quality first team starter is likely to want to join any club if he's in direct competition for a starting place, against someone of equal or better quality.
Back ups are normally back ups for the reasons a blind man on a galloping horse could recognise.

shachart

There lies the problem that so many fans either dont understand or choose to ignore.

No top quality first team starter is likely to want to join any club if he's in direct competition for a starting place, against someone of equal or better quality.
Back ups are normally back ups for the reasons a blind man on a galloping horse could recognise.
No disrespect, but you couldn't be more wrong. Every player wants to play with the best players. Do you think somebody promised Jesus he will be a starter at City ? He had to compete with Aguero for his spot. Owen went to RM to fight for his place against Ronaldo ( the fat one ), Raul and Gutti.
Do you think Pulisic won't come because of competition in the squad ? Do you think Fabinho was promised Hendo's spot ?

shachart

Problem at the end of last season was that there was just too big a drop in quality from our front 3 to the back ups. No disrespect to Solanke/Ings but they are just not in the same orbit as our front 3 and you could see teams relax when one of them came on. We need more intermediate quality players, like Shaqiri, who at least have the potential now (not in 2 or 3 years time) to push the likes of Mane, Salah if they play to their full potential and who teams will need to be wary of.

Obviously Wilson, Kent, Woodburn etc aren't near Shaqiri's level yet. I'd like to think we'd use the domestic cups to give some of these lads a chance but realistically they are not all going to make it here. We are now discussing a team that is going to be expected to challenge for the title and the CL next season and you have to be exceptional as a youngster to break through. TAA has made it so the door isn't completely shut but we desperately need more strength in depth in the squad now. The Shaqiri signing makes perfect sense in that respect.
I just saw a 19 year old kid score a winner the world cup final. I wonder if he came through our Academy would he be in the same place or thinking about a loan move to a championship club.

Dane

Willing to drive Matip to the airport
No disrespect, but you couldn't be more wrong. Every player wants to play with the best players. Do you think somebody promised Jesus he will be a starter at City ? He had to compete with Aguero for his spot. Owen went to RM to fight for his place against Ronaldo ( the fat one ), Raul and Gutti.
Do you think Pulisic won't come because of competition in the squad ? Do you think Fabinho was promised Hendo's spot ?
Regarding my bold, perhaps Fabinho firmly believes he's better and will make the position his own.
Some players, are simply money driven (See Owen and McManaman)

Alex

since 2004
I just saw a 19 year old kid score a winner the world cup final. I wonder if he came through our Academy would he be in the same place or thinking about a loan move to a championship club.
Well that 19yo kid was transfered from monaco to psg for 180m€. Second most expensive transfer.
I'd say he's not at the same level as the players we send to championship clubs

shachart

Well that 19yo kid was transfered from monaco to psg for 180m€. Second most expensive transfer.
I'd say he's not at the same level as the players we send to championship clubs
but he got playing time at Monaco when he was 17. I am not saying Kent, Wilson or Woodburn are at that level, but at the same time it seems ( from the outside ) that they are not given enough chances.
Woodburn and Kent are starters for the Wales ( not the greatest team out there I'll admit ) but can't get a chance on the bench. When half the squad is injured, Klopp plays TAA as CAM rather than Woodburn. Kent can't even make the bench.

Circling back to topic, if you got Salah and you can get Pulisic as backup - fine. Wilson and Kent might not even have the potential to be that good, so you choose the better option. Shakiri IMO is not that great, and if not for the price tag, he wouldn't have been considered, and I think that we could have used that playing time to advance Kent or Wilson ( not even talking about money).

But, Klopp knows what he wants, and he knows what he already has, so we trust his judgement and hope for the best.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
And I saw a 19 year old Liverpool lad play in the same tournament. If you're good enough then you'll make it either at LFC or somewhere else. I can't think of many who have slipped through the net.

To be fair to JK he is hardly a 'chequebook manager' who ignores youth development. He's an idealist. He wouldn't be at Liverpool if he wasn't but it won't have escaped his attention that at the end of last season we basically had 11 first teamers and a bench of kids and crocks when we were challenging for top 4 and the CL.

Shaqiri is exactly the sort of player I'd be raging about us buying a few years back but we have Klopp now and I am generally relaxed about our transfer dealings. He just knows what he wants and who he can work with. Barring the goalkeeping situation just about every signing we've made under him has been a success. Shaqiri is very talented and experienced but hasn't lived up to his potential yet. It's a risk like all transfers but a small one given the fee. And obviously the fee in this case is a consideration given that he is essentially a squad player. We wouldn't have bought him for £30 million. I don't see what's wrong with that. There's a finite amount of money in the transfer budget and Klopp has to work within it.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Owen went to RM to fight for his place against Ronaldo ( the fat one ), Raul and Gutti.
Don’t think he did, y’know.

*****£££££££££££££££****

In all seriousness, I don’t think it’s about being guaranteed starts in most cases. But there will be discussions about the amount of games a player is likely to get. For a lad like Shaqiri that might be a bit less, than someone like Keita or Salah, and he’d have been happy with that.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
You can't compare Mbappe to other youngsters of his age though. His talent was so recognisable that he basically bypassed a large chunk of the French youth development system because he was already good enough. Sterling is a similar case, got his chance in first team football and never looked back without needing the usual loan period to enhance his development. Most players though aren't good enough to make such a jump into senior football without having to drop down to lower levels to aid in their adjustment and learning what is required to play at higher levels

Eintrachtfan

The convinced one
Because of the higher level it is more difficult for a youth player to break through into the first team at the top clubs than say at Huddersfield or Bournemouth.
That happens only to outstanding players like Mbappe. And they don’t grow on trees.
So we as fans have to decide what we want. Going there „where we belong“ or developing a team of scousers.
As much as I’m glad to see the development of TAA, I have doubts most of us are patient enough.
Concerning Wilson I think at the age of 23 it’s a make or break situation for him.
Back to Shaqiri, I watched him closer during his time at Bayern. I’m sure he will fit in Klopp’s style of football. I expect there’s a lot more to come from him given his high quality teammates. We have all seen glimpses of what he is capable of when he was at Stoke.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Nobody would be promised a spot directly, not a single manager would do that to anyone if your name isn't Messi or Ronaldo. Jesus was not a nailed on starter for Brazil when he arrived at Man City, and Fabinho too isn't the top of the list in the Brazilian squad, so therefore him coming is very different from buying top of the line player like Messi, Aguero, Ronaldo, you get the drill.

As for Owen. He went there for the prestige and Gutti didn't play the same spot as Owen. He went there with a very clear idea of him replacing their super-sub Morientes who happened to come over to our side later on.
It depends. Today as in right now, no, the 19 year old kid from our side will feature for his country and be the go-to guy if he's that good. Can't say the same 3-4 years back.

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
And I saw a 19 year old Liverpool lad play in the same tournament. If you're good enough then you'll make it either at LFC or somewhere else. I can't think of many who have slipped through the net.

To be fair to JK he is hardly a 'chequebook manager' who ignores youth development. He's an idealist. He wouldn't be at Liverpool if he wasn't but it won't have escaped his attention that at the end of last season we basically had 11 first teamers and a bench of kids and crocks when we were challenging for top 4 and the CL.

Shaqiri is exactly the sort of player I'd be raging about us buying a few years back but we have Klopp now and I am generally relaxed about our transfer dealings. He just knows what he wants and who he can work with. Barring the goalkeeping situation just about every signing we've made under him has been a success. Shaqiri is very talented and experienced but hasn't lived up to his potential yet. It's a risk like all transfers but a small one given the fee. And obviously the fee in this case is a consideration given that he is essentially a squad player. We wouldn't have bought him for £30 million. I don't see what's wrong with that. There's a finite amount of money in the transfer budget and Klopp has to work within it.
I do respect your opinions immensely (mostly anyways BB, ;-) ) ...but I'll politely beg to disagree here. I simply don't see Shaqiri being signed as being any back-up and/or any ultilty from-the-bench option for us. He's a damn fine player (with a very distinct smell of world-class about him too), who admittedly did get a bit pidgeonholed in his Bayern/Stoke timeframe of only being usable from the RW. That's not true though. His lifetime stats show a more clear LW bias, whilst #10 or else false #9 are also better than his nominal RW qua chances-created stuff. BTW, last EPL season only 5 other players bettered his chance-creation numbers and none were from LFC.

I would 100% argue that Shaqiri could quite very rightly contend to contest about 3~4 slots in our starting XI atm. Maybe take Ox's place initially, maybe contend for Mane's role, maybe deputize for Mo (if he can 2nd season confirm here, which is a very tough ask btw). Shaqiri is a simply wonderful set-piece taker, a superb chance-creator (with either foot too) and a real master of the slide-rule pass in behind, plus he does not ever stay shy with attempting the almost ridiculous either - which is the 25-yarder just bended into the top-corner of the net, at so many crucial moments too.

In all of World football (and in a very low-scoring game aka about 2.7 goals per game only every scored), the huge importance of first-goal-scored is often criminally underestimated. Globally in footie (since the Millennium aka year 2000), 76% of teams that score the first goal will win the game, whilst 16% will draw and 8% will lose. Approx 8% of game are scoreless btw (and thus discounted here). EPL teams that score first however average a 71% win ratio (maybe physicality based or the ultra-fast tempo of most games etc), whilst La Liga boasts about a 79% conversion rate here. The very top-teams aka Barca, Real, Juve, Bayern, City etc are all well-above 90~95% conversion rate (if scoring first) aka hence why they serially win their own domestic leagues so often. They all mostly take the lead about 30+ times a season too, whilst those competing for (say) 3rd will only do so about 22~25x times. The relegated sides in all the top 5~6 leagues are all mostly actually not too bad either in winning games if scoring first. It's just that they do it so very rarely aka maybe only taking the lead 7 times in a full season and then winning 4 of these. The principle of a team scoring first and then winning most games is not ever destroyed by most relegation sides just being about 50% successful here. In all of Footie this scoring-first bias exists, which is very normal for any low-scoring sport.

LFC btw are just 100% bang-average here aka last season 24 times taking the lead and 17 wins aka a full-on 71%. The year before just about the same too. Either better (rest) defense, better game management principles or more efficiency aka France in their recent very pragmatic WC win could help here (i would not like us to go pragmatic though) ...but I would more favor just scoring the 2nd and maybe decisive goal myself. LFC are not the very best out there at defending any lead, so why not instead just score another goal yourself? Just do it etc.

I would 100% applaud the recent cut-price Xherdan capture here, and I'd guess that the player himself just does not regard himself as any mere bench option. He'll 100% challenge all first-teamers to deliver-or-else. I'd expect him to be knocking on the door of first team very fast (maybe 2 months to adjust a bit). Only way to do that is with on-pitch performances, of course, but I'd expect him to be ready to deliver here. I'm almost completely chuffed with this signing btw. Xherdan is no everyday player in my eyes, he could actually be very special indeed for us.

Last edited:

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
I do respect your opinions immensely (mostly anyways BB, ;-) ) ...but I'll politely beg to disagree here. I simply don't see Shaqiri being signed as being any back-up and/or any ultilty from-the-bench option for us. He's a damn fine player (with a very distinct smell of world-class about him too), who admittedly did get a bit pidgeonholed in his Bayern/Stoke timeframe of only being usable from the RW. That's not true though. His lifetime stats show a more clear LW bias, whilst #10 or else false #9 are also better than his nominal RW qua chances-created stuff. BTW, last EPL season only 5 other players bettered his chance-creation numbers and none were from LFC.

I would 100% argue that Shaqiri could quite very rightly contend to contest about 3~4 slots in our starting XI atm. Maybe take Ox's place initially, maybe contend for Mane's role, maybe deputize for Mo (if he can 2nd season confirm here, which is a very tough ask btw). Shaqiri is a simply wonderful set-piece taker, a superb chance-creator (with either foot too) and a real master of the slide-rule pass in behind, plus he does not ever stay shy with attempting the almost ridiculous either - which is the 25-yarder just bended into the top-corner of the net, at so many crucial moments too.

In all of World football (and in a very low-scoring game aka about 2.7 goals per game only every scored), the huge importance of first-goal-scored is often criminally underestimated. Globally in footie (since the Millennium aka year 2000), 76% of teams that score the first goal will win the game, whilst 16% will draw and 8% will lose. Approx 8% of game are scoreless btw (and thus discounted here). EPL teams that score first however average a 71% win ratio (maybe physicality based or the ultra-fast tempo of most games etc), whilst La Liga boasts about a 79% conversion rate here. The very top-teams aka Barca, Real, Juve, Bayern, City etc are all well-above 90~95% conversion rate (if scoring first) aka hence why they serially win their own domestic leagues so often. They all mostly take the lead about 30+ times a season too, whilst those competing for (say) 3rd will only do so about 22~25x times. The relegated sides in all the top 5~6 leagues are all mostly actually not too bad either in winning games if scoring first. It's just that they do it so very rarely aka maybe only taking the lead 7 times in a full season and then winning 4 of these. The principle of a team scoring first and then winning most games is not ever destroyed by most relegation sides just being about 50% successful here. In all of Footie this scoring-first bias exists, which is very normal for any low-scoring sport.

LFC btw are just 100% bang-average here aka last season 24 times taking the lead and 17 wins aka a full-on 71%. The year before just about the same too. Either better (rest) defense, better game management principles or more efficiency aka France in their recent very pragmatic WC win could help here (i would not like us to go pragmatic though) ...but I would more favor just scoring the 2nd and maybe decisive goal myself. LFC are not the very best out there at defending any lead, so why not instead just score another goal yourself? Just do it etc.

I would 100% applaud the recent cut-price Xherdan capture here, and I'd guess that the player himself just does not regard himself as any mere bench option. He'll 100% challenge all first-teamers to deliver-or-else. I'd expect him to be knocking on the door of first team very fast (maybe 2 months to adjust a bit). Only way to do that is with on-pitch performances, of course, but I'd expect him to be ready to deliver here. I'm almost completely chuffed with this signing btw. Xherdan is no everyday player in my eyes, he could actually be very special indeed for us.
He hasn't been bought as someone who goes straight into the first choice starting 11. At least I'm hoping he hasn't. A lot depends on how the Fekir transfer plays out. If he doesn't come in and we don't seek an alternative then Shaqiri becomes an important player at that point because we are lacking genuine creativity and we need that against the 95% of teams we play who just low block for 90 minutes. I'm kind of hoping Fekir will happen because I'd be a bit underwhelmed that we'd gone from Coutinho to Shaqiri as our key creative player. Too much of a gamble for me.

Completely agree on his ability and potential but he was a big fish in a small pond at Stoke and didn't really deliver. He's lucky to have got this opportunity. Overall I can live with this transfer because it's low risk with a very high potential upside if he can get his act together and also because I just have so much faith in JK to get the best out of anyone we buy. If Shaqiri can't fulfil his potential under this manager then he never will.

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
He hasn't been bought as someone who goes straight into the first choice starting 11. At least I'm hoping he hasn't. A lot depends on how the Fekir transfer plays out. If he doesn't come in and we don't seek an alternative then Shaqiri becomes an important player at that point because we are lacking genuine creativity and we need that against the 95% of teams we play who just low block for 90 minutes. I'm kind of hoping Fekir will happen because I'd be a bit underwhelmed that we'd gone from Coutinho to Shaqiri as our key creative player. Too much of a gamble for me.

Completely agree on his ability and potential but he was a big fish in a small pond at Stoke and didn't really deliver. He's lucky to have got this opportunity. Overall I can live with this transfer because it's low risk with a very high potential upside if he can get his act together and also because I just have so much faith in JK to get the best out of anyone we buy. If Shaqiri can't fulfil his potential under this manager then he never will.
You are still a liitle bit of the more reserved (or wait-and-see) approach. Which is very OK too.

I do completely disagree here though. It matters not where he came from, nor the HQ level of Stoke etc. This kid (he's maybe 25~26) is really very competent indeed. I expect a whole lot from him, very soon too. It's his 2nd and his last chance at a very top-club and he must take it too. I do think that he will. i would expect some very high-end footie from Xherdan next season for us, why not? To both parties benefit too.

shachart

I know i'm going to get hammered for my next comment.
Regarding the section in bold , that was the exact arguement when we brought in Balotelli.
Yes, I remember he was supposed to be our main striker rather than backup as Shakiri, and he was brought against BR wishes.
But still...

RedSeven

On the one road
I know i'm going to get hammered for my next comment.
Regarding the section in bold , that was the exact arguement when we brought in Balotelli.
Yes, I remember he was supposed to be our main striker rather than backup as Shakiri, and he was brought against BR wishes.
But still...

Balotelli was a knob who was more likely to fail than to succeed.We paid slightly more for him at a time when 16mp got you a bit more than it does now.The risk with Shaqiri is not the same as with Balotelli,no where near.

afeadugg

To the tune of ‘Whenever, Wherever’ by Shaqira

Shaqiri Shaqiri

The big lad comes from Switzerland

Takes the piss out of Chris Smalling

His name’s Xherdan Shaqiri