You’re the boss! The Everton Cup 2020/21

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Welcome, budding manager/sporting director, to the Everton Cup 2020. Let’s see if you can win the coveted trophy for the best summer transfer business. If nothing else it’s something to talk about other than the sodding news.

There are just three rules

1. You’ll need to set out a 23 senior squad, and you can use as many under 21s as you like. It’s fine to have some overlap (Trent will probably be one of the 23 for example). You can name fewer than 23 seniors, but not more.

2. Your 23 man senior squad must have a maximum of 17 non-home grown players (see the squad list for more info). Home grown is defined as being on the books of an English or Welsh club for three years before the age of 21.

3. We’re not getting into wages or signing on fees. I just can’t be arsed. Just stick to players who’s wages are realistic, we’re not going to paying anyone 400k a week.

In a short while you will receive two messages. One from John Henry and Mike Gordon, advising you on expectations and budget, and a second from Michael Edwards advising you on player valuations.

After you’ve read these messages you are free to make your plans and construct your squad

Good Luck

Last edited:

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Hello there.

It’s Mike. John and I know that it’s about this time of year you and your staff like to get together to finalise your transfer plans for the coming season. We thought you might appreciate some clarity on the clubs objectives for the coming season.

After the fantastic title win last year (eventually), we really think you and the brilliant squad you’ve assembled can retain the league and go further in the CL. We see the domestic cups as an opportunity to further develop the fringe and young players.

Now on to the club finances. As you are aware Coronavirus has hit the clubs finances hard. We would also like to invest in retaining keys members of the squad on improved and renewed contracts (such as Wijnaldum, unless you would like to sell?) Bonuses for the title win have also needed to be paid. We also have just completed the revamp of the Kirkby site which has further impacted on our ability to spend.

With the situation still very much unclear, it would be irresponsible to spend big this year, and so we feel it best to give you a more modest budget to spend. We can offer around £30m plus whatever you can recoup on unneeded players. We might be able to add a small amount to this if it means securing an exceptional young player.

I hope this is OK, and I know you are as aware of the difficulties in football as we are. We already have an exceptional squad very much in its peak years, so we believe we are still set for a very successful season under your guidance.

Best

John and Mike.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Hello Mate,

It’s Michael. I’ve been doing some work on player values and also thinking about where the market is right now.

I think the main thing to note is that the market has taken quite a battering post Coronavirus, and player valuations have all taken a hit. Our own squad has reduced in value, which means there is less there to be picked at in terms of generating value. Although that means there might be value out there for us to take advantage of?

I’ve used a complex algorithm on my big computer to work out the values of our squad.

I’ve highlighted in red a couple of players we might want to think about moving on, although it’s your decision ultimately.

Alisson £64.8m June 2024
Adrian £3.6m June 2021
Kelleher £0.8m June 2022
Grabara £4.05m June 2023
Lonergan expiring
Karius £1.44m June 2021

Van Dijk £72m June 2023
Gomez £30.15 June 2024
Matip £28.8m June 2024
Lovren £7.2m June 2021
Van Den Berg £1.62m June 2024
Hoever £3.24m June 2024
Phillips £360k June 2021

Robertson £57.6m June 2024
Alexander-Arnold £89.1m June 2024
N. Williams £3m June 2024
Clyne Expiring

Fabinho £50.4 June 2023
Henderson £25.2 June 2023
Wijnaldum £18m June 2021
Milner £5.85m June 2022
Lallana Expiring
Oxlade-Chamberlain £25.2m June 2023
Keita £30.15 June 2023
Jones £1.62m June 2024
Chirivella Expiring
Grujic £13.05m June 2023
Wilson £15.75m June 2023
Woodburn £3.24m June 2022

Mane £108m June 2023
Salah £108m June 2023
Firmino £64.8m June 2023
Origi £20.16m June 2024
Minamino £12.6m June 2024
Elliot £4.5m June 2024
Brewster £6.8m June 2024
Shaqiri £14.4m June 2023
Awoniyi £2.88m June 2023

Of those expiring players, Degsy has no interest in another season as fourth choice, Pedro would like to leave for first team football, and Clyney and Adam would like to play more regularly. Andy is happy to stay another season, but understands it was only ever likely time be a short term thing.

In terms of fair valuation for incoming players, it really depends on the club. But as a guide go with

Transfermarkt figures

x0.5 for 1 year remaining
x0.8 for 2 years remaining
x1 for 3 years remaining
x1.4 for 4+ years remaining

So for a couple of players we’ve talked about in the past

Havertz £57.6m June 2022.
Werner £57.6m June 2023
Sancho £84.2m June 2022

Last edited:

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Always more fun than actual work..

Let's start with moving on players;

Out
Lonergan Free
Karius £1.44m
Lovren £7.2m
Phillips £360k
Clyne Free
Lallana Free
Grujic £13.05m
Chirivella Free

Shaqiri £14.4m
Origi £20.16m

Total Fees - £56.61mil + £30mil (kitty)
Budget - £86.61mil

A small incoming group to add some competition and depth in key areas. Note - I will be ensuring Gini signs a new contract;

In
White.B (CB) £3.97m (£4.96m*0.8)
Aarons (LB) £25.2m (£18m*1.4)
Havertz (MF/FW) £57.6m

Total spend - £86.77m (I've funded the £160k shortfall out of my managers salary)

I'll send some players on loan to continue their developement;

Loans (or retain in the U23s)
Kelleher (GK)
Van Den Berg (CB)
Hoever (CB)
Brewster £6.8m (FW) (Premiership club)

1st Team Squad
Alisson (GK)
Adrian (GK)
Grabara (GK)

Van Dijk (CB)
Gomez (CB)
Matip (CB)
White (CB)

Robertson (LB)
Aarons (LB)
Alexander-Arnold (RB)
N. Williams (RB)

Fabinho (CM)
Henderson (CM)
Wijnaldum (CM)
Milner (CM)
Oxlade-Chamberlain (CM)
Keita £30.15 (CM)
Jones £1.62m (CM)

Mane £108m (LF)
Salah £108m (RF)
Havertz (WF)
Firmino £64.8m (CF)
Minamino £12.6m (CF)
Elliot £4.5m (WF)

1st Team Formation

Alisson

Alexander-Arnold -- Gomez -- Van Dijk -- Robertson

Fabinho -- Henderson

Salah -- Firmino -- Mane

Havertz​

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Of those with value:

Out Adrian, Karius, Lovren, Matip, Grujic, Origi, Shaqiri, Wilson + Awoniyi (@Mascot88 ), Salah c.£214m.

Plus £30m.

c.£244m.

In
Havertz £57.6m
Sancho £84.2m
Sané £36m
Presnel Kimpembe £25.2m
Saka £9m
Onana £25.92

c.£237.92m

PL squad

Mané
Firmino
Brewster
Sané
Sancho
Minamino
Elliott
Havertz
Jones
AOC
Fabinho
Gini
Keita
Henderson
Milner
Saka
Robertson
Virgil
Gomez
Kimpembe
Phillips
Trent
Williams
Hoever
Alisson
Onana
Grabbara/Kelleher

1st team

Alisson
Trent Gomez VvD Robertson
Henderson Fabinho Havertz
Sané Firmino Mané

Bench: Onana, Kimpembe, Saka, AOC, Elliott, Sancho, Brewster

[email protected]

Of those with value:

Out Adrian, Karius, Lovren, Matip, Grujic, Origi, Shaqiri, Wilson + Awoniyi (@Mascot88 ), Salah c.£214m.

Plus £30m.

c.£244m.

In
Havertz £57.6m
Sancho £84.2m
Sané £36m
Presnel Kimpembe £25.2m
Saka £9m
Onana £25.92

c.£237.92m

PL squad

Mané
Firmino
Brewster
Sané
Sancho
Minamino
Elliott
Havertz
Jones
AOC
Fabinho
Gini
Keita
Henderson
Milner
Saka
Robertson
Virgil
Gomez
Kimpembe
Phillips
Trent
Williams
Hoever
Alisson
Onana
Grabbara/Kelleher

1st team

Alisson
Trent Gomez VvD Robertson
Henderson Fabinho Havertz
Sané Firmino Mané

Bench: Onana, Kimpembe, Saka, AOC, Elliott, Sancho, Brewster

What?! Not a single mention of Icardi? What's next, the lifting of the Sam Quek restraining order? What times we live in.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
What?! Not a single mention of Icardi? What's next, the lifting of the Sam Quek restraining order? What times we live in.
I did dwell on Icardi for old times sake but he's now too old so he's missed his chance. I've written to the court saying that I'm ok with Sam Quek approaching me within 100m again. Coronavirus has given me a new sense of perspective.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
There has been a change of tactics and thinking a little. With some real strength in a solid midfield we are switching to 4222 with a solid double pivot centre mid. Two versatile attacking mids who can come central or play as a tucked in wide attacking mid. Two versatile forwards able to drift wide and attacking into the area or position in a central area. A front four constantly drifting and changing and swapping positions whilst the fullbacks provide the real width and crossing.

Senior team for the 2020/21 season;

GKx1;
Alisson (FS)
Adrian (FS)
Grabara (U21/CD)

CBx2;
Van Dijk (FS)
Gomez (CD)
New signing (?)
Phillips (HG)
Hoever (U21/CD)

FBx2;
Alexander-Arnold (CD)
Robertson (FS)
New signing (?)
Williams (U21/CD)
Larouci (U21/CD)

CMx2;
Henderson (HG)
Fabinho (FS)
New signing (?)
Milner (HG)
Grujic (FS)

AMx2;
Firmino (FS)
Oxlade-Chamberlain (HG)
Minamino (FS)
Jones (U21/CD)
Wilson (CD)

FWx2;
Salah (FS)
New signing (?)
Mane (FS)
Brewster (U21/HG)
Elliott (U21/HG)

10 foreign senior players (FS).
3 club developed senior players (CD).
4 home grown senior players (HG).
7 under 21 players who are either home grown or club developed, not many will fail to be club developed by the time they hit 21.
4 new signings at CB, FB, CM and forward that can be any category.

Several notable departures. Keita and Klopp sit down and discuss plans and neither happy with how he's settled so far the player believes he needs to be more integral to a teams set up to shine and wants to move on. Wijnaldum and Chrivella both wanting to move on for new challenges/opportunities so not signing contract extensions. Matip judged to be at an age and injury prone level to be the ideal time to move him on to bring a young player to one day inherit VvD's position as Gomez long term partner. Van Den Berg, Kelleher, Woodburn and some others on loan.

Karius £1.44m. Matip £28.8m. Lovren £7.2m. Wijnaldum £18m. Keita £30.15m. Origi £20.16m. Shaqiri £14.4m. Awoniyi £2.88m.
Total; £123.03m plus £30m budget £153.03m.

Jonathan Tah CB (FS) £26.55m (3 years on contract so price as is).
Achraf Hakimi FB (FS) £38.88m (£48.6m 2 years left at Real so x0.8).
Adrian Rabiot CM (FS) £22.95m (3 years on contract so price as is).
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang FW (FS) £25.2m (£50.4m 1 year left at Arsenal so x0.5).
Total spent £113.58 so £39.45m left over. That can start going towards the Mbappe 2021 fund.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
There has been a change of tactics and thinking a little. With some real strength in a solid midfield we are switching to 4222 with a solid double pivot centre mid. Two versatile attacking mids who can come central or play as a tucked in wide attacking mid. Two versatile forwards able to drift wide and attacking into the area or position in a central area. A front four constantly drifting and changing and swapping positions whilst the fullbacks provide the real width and crossing.

GKx1;
Alisson (FS)
Adrian (FS)
Grabara (U21/CD)

CBx2;
Van Dijk (FS)
Gomez (CD)
New signing (?)
Phillips (HG)
Hoever (U21/CD)

FBx2;
Alexander-Arnold (CD)
Robertson (FS)
New signing (?)
Williams (U21/CD)
Larouci (U21/CD)

CMx2;
Henderson (HG)
Fabinho (FS)
New signing (?)
Milner (HG)
Grujic (FS)

AMx2;
Firmino (FS)
Oxlade-Chamberlain (HG)
Minamino (FS)
Jones (U21/CD)
Wilson (CD)

FWx2;
Salah (FS)
New signing (?)
Mane (FS)
Brewster (U21/HG)
Elliott (U21/HG)

4 home grown senior players (HG).
7 under 21 players who are either home grown or club developed, not many will fail to be club developed by the time they hit 21.
4 new signings at CB, FB, CM and forward that can be any category.

Several notable departures. Keita and Klopp sit down and discuss plans and neither happy with how he's settled so far the player believes he needs to be more integral to a teams set up to shine and wants to move on. Wijnaldum and Chrivella both wanting to move on for new challenges/opportunities so not signing contract extensions. Matip judged to be at an age and injury prone level to be the ideal time to move him on to bring a young player to one day inherit VvD's position as Gomez long term partner. Van Den Berg, Kelleher, Woodburn and some others on loan.

Karius £1.44m. Matip £28.8m. Lovren £7.2m. Wijnaldum £18m. Keita £30.15m. Origi £20.16m. Shaqiri £14.4m. Awoniyi £2.88m.
Total; £123.03m plus £30m budget £153.03m.

Achraf Hakimi FB (FS) £38.88m (£48.6m 2 years left at Real so x0.8).
Adrian Rabiot CM (FS) £22.95m (3 years on contract so price as is).
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang FW (FS) £25.2m (£50.4m 1 year left at Arsenal so x0.5).
Total spent £113.58 so £39.45m left over. That can start going towards the Mbappe 2021 fund.
No Sancho? I went all in on him in FIFA on the strength of your pushing for him!!! :)

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
No Sancho? I went all in on him in FIFA on the strength of your pushing for him!!! :)
Haha according to your rules he'd have cost £84.24m out of my 150 with 4 players to bring in! In my defence Sancho would work brilliant in LFCs real 433 set up but I've always preferred the more attacking 4222 with essentially a front 4 all swapping and changing positions so went with that. Sancho may work well in that but Aubameyang is a player I always wanted and for a couple of seasons at a rock bottom price? Had to choose him! My way also gives Wlison and Grujic a chance to make it work at LFC in a set up where we should still play phenomenonal, exciting football.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Haha according to your rules he'd have cost £84.24m out of my 150 with 4 players to bring in! In my defence Sancho would work brilliant in LFCs real 433 set up but I've always preferred the more attacking 4222 with essentially a front 4 all swapping and changing positions so went with that. Sancho may work well in that but Aubameyang is a player I always wanted and for a couple of seasons at a rock bottom price? Had to choose him! My way also gives Wlison and Grujic a chance to make it work at LFC in a set up where we should still play phenomenonal, exciting football.
My recruitment was so brilliant I managed to buy Sancho plus 5 others and he only makes my bench ;)

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
My recruitment was so brilliant I managed to buy Sancho plus 5 others and he only makes my bench ;)
You sold Salah though! So therefore lose by default! I'd sell anyone except VvD or Alisson before considering a Salah sale. And unless it allowed the bringing in of Mbappe I wouldn't sell Mane or Firmino either. Sancho is good and I want him but not good enough to sacrifice one of our first choice front 3.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
You sold Salah though! So therefore lose by default! I'd sell anyone except VvD or Alisson before considering a Salah sale. And unless it allowed the bringing in of Mbappe I wouldn't sell Mane or Firmino either. Sancho is good and I want him but not good enough to sacrifice one of our first choice front 3.
Ah, but one of the front three needs to go as part of the necessary succession planning and gradual evolution of the team.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Ah, but one of the front three needs to go as part of the necessary succession planning and gradual evolution of the team.
Eventually. Not sure I agree it needs to start this summer. Over the next 5 years I think all 3 will be replaced but the way I would do it is one by one. Most likely when they decide that its time for a new challenge. On that front I think Mane will be the first to want to go. But say in the real world (not this exercise from @Mascot88 designed to entertain us) in 433 bringing one younger star talent in now to push the 3, then when one goes the 2 remaining and the young star are the new first choice 3 and add another young, star-talent. Repeat till the current three have all been replaced. Process would probably take 4/5 years and keep us at a top level throughout whilst maintaining consistency and continuity. That's what I think Klopp will do. Or hope at least. All sane, well thought out plans may have just been knocked for 6 by the Coronavirus.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Here is my one.

Firstly let’s look at the outgoings.

I’m moving on Karius, Lovren, Phillips, Clyne, Lallana, Chirivella, Wilson, Awoniyi, Lonergan, Woodburn and Grujic. Those are probably all pretty uncontroversial.

I’m also going to move on Origi, Shaqiri and Matip and Gini. Origi has disappointed this season, and looks like someone who needs to get a proper run somewhere (And represents quite a bit of additional funds). Shaqiri just hasn’t worked out. And while I do like Matip, I would rather cash in and reinvest in a played who will be more reliably fit. I have a funny feeling Gini is not signing a new contract, and I would like to move him now while there is a bit of value.

So I’m looking at bringing in around £125.28m in sales which gives me a kitty of approx £155.28m.

The first name in would be Jonathan Tah from Bayer Leverkusen who would cost £26.55m. He would replace the outgoing Lovren and Matip, and allow space for Fabinho to play 10 games at centre back, and provide opportunities for van den Berg and Hoever.

Secondly I’m looking to add a quality fourth option to the forward line with Origi gone, and for this I’ll add Timo Werner from Leipzig for £57.6m.

To replace to Gini, and generally be boss all over the park, I will add Kai Havertz - a genuine superstar in the making and someone Liverpool should be moving mountains to sign, IMO. Absolute steal at £57.6m (and likely to go for a bit more that that in real life...)

This should leave me about £14.47m to add a decent left back to back up Robbo. I will go for Bukayo Saka from Arsenal, whom we have apparently had an interest for some time and due to his contract situation we should be able to pick up for around £9m. He’s young enough to be content with a big part role, full of the attacking drive we need and looks set for a big future

So my squad is

Alisson
Adrian
Grabara

Robertson
Alexander-Arnold
Williams
Saka

Van Dijk
Gomez
Tah
van den Berg

Fabinho
Henderson
Milner
Keita
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Havertz

Mane
Firmino
Salah
Minamino
Werner
Elliot

Additionally

Jones
Hoever
Brewster

Alisson
Trent Gomez Van Dijk Roberson
Fabinho
Henderson Havertz
Salah Firmino Mane

Bench: Adrian, Tah, Williams, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Keita, Minamino, Werner

Squad: Grabara, Saka, van den Berg, Hoever, Milner, Elliot, Jones, Brewster.​

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
OK I'm bored so I'm giving this another go from another angle. No change of tactics sticking with 433.

Grabara £4.05m. Karius £1.44m. Matip £28.8m. Lovren £7.2m. Wijnaldum £18m. Grujic £13.05m. Keita £30.15m. Woodburn £3.24m. Minamino £12.6m. Wilson £15.75m. Origi £20.16m. Shaqiri £14.4m. Awoniyi £2.88m. Firmino (feel sick just typing it) £64.8m.
Total; £236.52m plus £30m budget £266.52m.

Marc Cucurella FB (FS) £8.1m (£16.2m 1 year left at Barca so x0.5).
Conor Coady bought as a back up DM (CD) £13.05m (3 years on contract so price as is).
Jadon Sancho FW (HG) £84.24m (£105.3m with two years left so x0.8).
Mbappe FW (FS) £129.6m (£162m 2 years left at PSG so x0.8 & on £390k a week).
Total spent £261.54m.

GKx1;
Alisson (FS)
Adrian (FS)

CBx2;
Van Dijk (FS)
Gomez (CD)
Tah (FS)
Hoever (U21/CD)

FBx2;
Alexander-Arnold (CD)
Robertson (FS)
Cucurella (FS)
Williams (U21/CD)

CMx3;
Henderson (HG)
Fabinho (FS)
Oxlade-Chamberlain (HG)
Jones (U21/CD)
Coady (CD)
Milner (HG)

FWx3;
Mbappe (FS)
Salah (FS)
Mane (FS)
Sancho (U21/HG)
Elliott (U21/HG)
Brewster (U21/CD)

3 home grown (not club developed) senior players (HG).
So only 16 senior players listed and 6 under 21 players who are either home grown or club developed, not many will fail to be club developed by the time they hit 21.

First 11;
Alison
Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Van Dijk, Robertson
Henderson, Fabinho, Oxlade-Chamberlain
Salah, Mbappe, Mane

Covering (and in some cases competition for places);
Adrian
Williams, Hoever, Tah, Cucurella
Milner, Coady, Jones
Elliott, Brewster, Sancho

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I honestly think Mbappe, Salah and Mane is weaker than having Firmino in there. Firmino is so important for this team, he is a multiplier in the fact he elevates the game of those ahead.. You put 3 superstars in and I think they have a net negative effect.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I honestly think Mbappe, Salah and Mane is weaker than having Firmino in there. Firmino is so important for this team, he is a multiplier in the fact he elevates the game of those ahead.. You put 3 superstars in and I think they have a net negative effect.
Agree to disagree? As good and as unique as Firmino is at elevating Salah and Mane they would still be good without him and Mbappe is a great player. As much trouble as Firmino is for opposition defences (dragging them out of position, working them hard, creating space and opportunities for the other two to exploit) its not like they'd get an easy time off Mbappe. He's not a traditional, static, number 9/CF. All the problems they get with Firmino they'd get with Mbappe at various degrees but he'd be a much faster and more deadly player when it comes to scoring himself. The three of them together would be an overload no defence could hope to handle. The goals and assists output for Mane and Salah may change a bit but as a front 3 the combined goals would likely be as high or higher. And Mbappe could be our main guy for 5+ years. Its pretty much the only real way in which our world class front 3 could actually be improved.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Agree to disagree? As good and as unique as Firmino is at elevating Salah and Mane they would still be good without him and Mbappe is a great player. As much trouble as Firmino is for opposition defences (dragging them out of position, working them hard, creating space and opportunities for the other two to exploit) its not like they'd get an easy time off Mbappe. He's not a traditional, static, number 9/CF. All the problems they get with Firmino they'd get with Mbappe at various degrees but he'd be a much faster and more deadly player when it comes to scoring himself. The three of them together would be an overload no defence could hope to handle. The goals and assists output for Mane and Salah may change a bit but as a front 3 the combined goals would likely be as high or higher. And Mbappe could be our main guy for 5+ years. Its pretty much the only real way in which our world class front 3 could actually be improved.
Why would we sell Firmino to fund M’Bappe? Kylian is available for a knock down €35m according to some obscure French politician.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...verpool-evening-headlines-mbappe-psg-18121143

(Like fuck he is...)