You can change the outcome of one football match - which one?

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Nikola, May 11, 2017.

1. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

I think things that were not football related were so poisonous under G+H that no amount of success on the pitch would have changed our trajectory. We were doomed into financial peril from the second those fake Billionaires took over and loaded the debt onto the club at the moment the world's financial system collapsed. I think prior to that though there were numerous moments where, had we got a better result, the entire trajectory of the club might have changed.

2. ptt

ptt Mane I'm excited for this season

3. Limiescouse

It's a myth though.

4. ptt

ptt Mane I'm excited for this season

Don't remember it being a myth at the time, I remember it well which is odd as I have a lousy memory for football matches.

5. Limiescouse

That's kind of the point. A story people were telling each other and continue to do so despite 20 years of every single person involved saying it has absolutely no substance at all (which is also supported by personal contacts).

redalways likes this.
  6. legalalien

legalalien The Tweetherder

Although I have never seen the game and was not yet 6 years old when it happened, the infamous 1965 European Cup semi-final against Inter Milan is my choice and is one game that could have changed the whole destiny of Liverpool F.C.

According to legend we were robbed in the second leg by a conniving Inter team and a corrupt referee. Whether or not that is true is kind of besides the point. If we'd won that game we would, of course, have been the first British team to play in the European Cup final and we might well have won it. If we had won it then I think that our status in the game today would be even greater than it is. Given that we reached the Cup Winners Cup final the following season, it's plausible that we could have won the European Cup two years running if things had gone our way in the San Siro.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ght-of-dark-deeds-at-the-san-siro-794018.html

The Arsenal game at Anfield in 1989 is another I'd like to change. As Sir Bill Shankly pointed out above, the team had played a game just about every other day post-Hillsborough and by the time they reached the game against Arsenal they were physically and emotionally shattered. Justice and the memory of those who had died would have been served if we had managed to hold on to just a one nil defeat. Having said that, my memory of the time was that I wasn't too crushed by losing to that last minute goal as by then we had all learned that there were far important things in life than winning championships.

7. Elessar

Elessar Well-Known Member

Must be the Gerrard slip game or the one that made Chelsea qualifying for the CL instead of us the year Roman bought the club. I doubt that he would have bought them if they didn't had qualified for the CL. Made our situation a lot more difficult.

8. Limiescouse

That's a fair point. It may be apocryphal, but it has been said he was waiting to see the outcome of that game before deciding who to buy. I'm not sure Moores would have taken the money at that point though. I think he needed to see the game change as a result of people like Abramovic to realise he had to step aside

9. geebo

geebo Bekloppt ! (German for loopy)

that isnt a game we lost fairly and I could say I would change that.... this was an unfair game, and I STILL want the authorities to recognise that and do something about it !!! in reality we DID win, we were just cheated out of it. This comes under the list of "games that were won unfairly" (by divers, false red cards and, in this case, bribed refs !!!)
    (this STILL makes me angry thinking about it today !)

10. Irishanfield

Irishanfield Well-Known Member

Without a doubt it has to be this.
    I think he beat West Ham 4-1 or 5-1 on the Tuesday before which ment that we had that +4 advantage which also changed how we went into that game. Probably would have been better if we had needed to get a result in that arsenal game instead of a 2-0 loss

11. Alright Now

Alright Now Well-Known Member

Agreeance. I watched the loss. Then had to pick up my daughter from a friend's. She saw my face and said,"It's okay if you need to cry." Sobbed like a baby.

I didn't particularly care for that Palace game that year. Although Suarez sobbed in that one while I somehow held it together.

12. i_still_miss_fowler

i_still_miss_fowler Open Your Eyes Morty! Moderator

Can I make it Sundays game against West ham ? Reading the forum it seems like a loss is inevitable.

Kanonkop, ILLOK, Red Armada and 9 others like this.
  13. Alright Now

Alright Now Well-Known Member

You'll make it. We'll be fine. And then you'll wonder the same against Boro.:-)

Livvy and Scott Jones like this.
  14. Bensud

Bensud New Member

Dont know why people say the Chelsea 13/14 game. No guarantee we would have got the right results in the remaining games. Milan 07 for me. Liverpool six times winners would have been nice.

15. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

Don't know why people say the Chelsea 13/14 game,because the thread isn't called which outcome does @Bensud think we should change.:tongue:lol

Chewbazza and Alright Now like this.
  16. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

Gillett and Hick had closed the transaction a couple of months earlier (March?) and if I recall correctly were in Athens as the co-owners.

17. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Nikola to the airport. Admin

Oh without fucking question. Liverpool v Chelsea, 27th of April, 2014.

Cups come and go for us. The title drought is absolutely fucking killing me.

18. StrongINTheAir

StrongINTheAir The voice of reason

For me it's easy. Chelsea "slip". Really probably doesn't even need to be a win for us to take the title.
    Gerrard gets his one missing piece of his career. And I never hear Manc idiots call Stevie G "Slippy G". That would make me happy

Anfield rd Dreamer likes this.
  19. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Yea that's why it's a no brainer for me too. Still haunts me tbh, I'll never forget it, though I've still never watched the full match.

I was 'stuck' on an island off Fiji for a mates wedding that weekend and we couldn't watch the game live. Instead I read and reread the BBC match report in horror the next day with a hangover enhanced by the local Bounty rum. I can't put into words how much I want to win the league.

StrongINTheAir and Scott Jones like this.
  20. Rooster

Rooster What a hit son

The Michael Thomas match denying the title in injury time. Can it get any worse?

And to think we bought him a couple of years later.

21. Makati Red

Makati Red Banned Users

This because changing this would have won us an extra title,

They you have Hysel and Athens which could have given us 6 CL

Then Gerrard Slip because if we had won that game we would have in all reality won the title by a point even with the palace slip up

22. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

Because we lost the league by two points and inferior goal difference. Even if you don't change the other two games the Chelsea loss turned into a Liverpool win gives 3 points which wins us the league. As it was we ended up going so all out attack in the Palace game trying to chase an impossible goal difference differential that we ended up throwing away two points then too. If we had 1 or 3 points from the Chelsea game we could have stayed in cruise control against Palace and just won by two or three.

23. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

I'd really like to see a cup come, they usually go...

Billy Biskix likes this.
  24. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Obviously the slip.

But talking about other painful defeats, definitely Athens, Sao Paulo and Sevilla. Some were sad, some were painful, some left me in anger how we prepared/set up/performed. Minutes from a EL final against Fulham that would've maybe kept Rafa in charge...

I also often mention Leverkusen when we were minutes away from meeting Unted finally in Europe in the semi's (at a time when we did well against them). Basel when we came back from 3 down and Riise missed a sitter late on. Dramatic European games always leave a special feeling. The slip is number 1, but I just mentioned a few that will rest in bitter memory.

Maybe also change Rafa's fact rant. lol

inaiq and Red Armada like this.
  25. Ʒan

Ʒan Well-Known Member

I agree 13/14 Chelsea for me. But to put a positive spin on it now, we talk about that one title, but Suarez would likely still have left and BR would have received a number of further lifelines than he got had he pinched a title. We would have number 19 but I have a feeling we would be in a worse position than we are in right now.

inaiq and Billy Biskix like this.
  26. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

And how ironic that the guy who scored that goal eventually signed for us!

inaiq likes this.
  27. StrongINTheAir

StrongINTheAir The voice of reason

That was the point I was making. Even a draw, which Chelsea were more than happy to get, keeps us in control of the title race.

inaiq and Anfield rd Dreamer like this.
  28. Scorchio

Scorchio Well-Known Member

The 1977 cup final. I was 8 years old and my family went out shopping in Hitchin. I wanted to stay in the car and listen to the game. When the final whistle went, I started crying, just a little kid sitting on his own in the back seat of the car. When my parents came back, my dad saw my face and smiled. He supported Man Utd.

StrongINTheAir, SBYM, inaiq and 3 others like this.
  29. SBYM

SBYM I'm just living the dream

The Bournemouth loss in December.

At least then everyone around here would calm the fuck down.

StrongINTheAir and inaiq like this.
  30. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

Fair play for supporting Liverpool when your Dad supported them lot. Hope you made the most of the next 13 years of dominance to wind him up

SBYM, Scott Jones and Red Armada like this.