You can change the outcome of one football match - which one?

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Nikola, May 11, 2017.

1. Irishanfield

Irishanfield Well-Known Member

Indeed. never really was to happy about that tbh. didn't he score in the fa cup final against Sunderland

2. Commando

Commando Well-Known Member

So many for me. I feel sick when we lose and am really moody for days. Lots of games already mentioned with which I would wholeheartedly agree. A lot of posters have mentioned the Chelsea 13/14 game. for me if I pick a game from that season it's the Boxing Day game away to City. Sterling's goal given offside when he's at least ten yards on (we could have done with that liner today for the City - Leicester game). I know the thread title is which game, and not games but I'd also like to nominate the Chelsea game a couple of days later. Another case of blatant robbery. E'tto should have been red carded in the first few minutes for a horrible potential leg breaker on Hendo, then scores the winner and to add insult to injury up ends Suarez in the box and Howard Webb waves it away. Great composure shown by the Reds players that day. If I'd have been playing I'd have physically attacked Webb.

inaiq likes this.
  3. Mascot88

Mascot88 Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders Admin

I'd like to change my vote to tomorrow's game against West Ham, which we've already fucking lost, apparently.

4. Sound as a Pound

Sound as a Pound TIA Midfield General

Loads saying the Chelsea game with the Gerrard slip, but for me we lost the game and title due to Henderson getting sent off against city

legalalien, ptt and inaiq like this.
  5. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

I'll go with Atletico in '09. Maybe if we had won the EL then Rafa would have got a stay of execution and could have managed to outlive the shithouses running the club.

6. inaiq

inaiq "Some people feel the rain others just get wet"

I am sticking with my initial post in this thread, however, so many games have come up that i had blocked out of my mind, Damn this thread.. lol

7. SBYM

SBYM I'm just living the dream

Wait until after next weekend and I unleash in my end of season review...

Scott Jones, Irishanfield and inaiq like this.
  8. inaiq

And i will try to return it with optimism ... "TRY" is the key word :-)

Scott Jones, Irishanfield and SBYM like this.
  9. inaiq

On your question about the Chavs, in a different thread, 28th is going to be a day that I will make sure i am drugged up and under any kind of treatment, Their Tour goes past my place and the hospital so either place needs me to be sedated from 11am to 3pm.. ;-)
    They are expecting 100K fans plastic and locals, everyone in the area has received hand delivered letters informing them of the basic route.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    cynicaloldgit, Irishanfield and SBYM like this.
  10. eng.amohd

eng.amohd The false nine

I didn't follow football until late 2000s, so I am torn between 5 games:

1. 2007 CL final vs Milan
    2. 2016 EL final vs Sevilla
    3. 2013/2014 Crystal palace 2nd fixture
    4. 2013/2014 Chelsea's game
    5. 2016 League Cup final vs City

Or possibly any one game this season against the f*cking Saints...

inaiq likes this.
  11. Irishanfield

Or how about the league cup final v arsenal when rushie had come back from juventus. rushie had that record of everytime he scored we never lost. he scores to put us 1-0 up, am feeling confident and we go and lose 2-1.
    For some reason that game nags me as does another league cup game. It was a league cup semi 2nd leg v qpr at anfield. Had lost the first leg 1-0 on the plastic pitch at Loftus road. We had won the previous 4 league cups so this competition was ours. Anyway we scored first and then conceded an og. scored again to lead 2-1 and with less than 10 minutes remaining we conceded another og to make it 2-2

Oh that fa cup final defeat to Wimbledon never sits well we me either. We battered them but just couldn't score. They were just a bunch of dirty thugs and would love to take away those fa winners medals from that shower of pricks

12. OLDIE

OLDIE TIA New Signing

Liverpool 0 - Arsenal 2 1989

No other game compares to this one.

13. Irishanfield

Indeed mate, that was my first post on this thread. I always wish we hadn't hammered West Ham a few days before which ended up giving us that 4 goal cushion

14. indianscouser

indianscouser Oh ya Beautttty!!

Id only change one moment of a game. That would be Steve G Slip vs Chelsea.
    I am sure we would have won the game and the league had that not happened.

Another moment id like to change is the deflected goal that Pirlo scored against us in the UCL finals at Athens.

Those two moments would have changed our history!

15. OLDIE

OLDIE TIA New Signing

Even though we dominated football at the time I still say that we had then as we do now, a Incredible ability to fuck up and grasp defeat from the Jaws of victory.

You give some classic examples of what I mean.

Scott Jones and Irishanfield like this.
  16. Billy Biskix

Billy Biskix TIA Youth Team Valued Member

Me too. One trophy in 11 years. Ouch. For that reason I'd change the 2012 FA Cup final result against Chelsea. May not have saved KD from the chop but it would have meant so much to him and at least he would have gone out on a high.

Hope in your heart likes this.
  17. Irishanfield

Sure we nearly blew the fact cup final v Everton in '89
    Twice blowing the lead in that match. For a few years around that time the press were always talking about us starting to go into a decline everyone we conceded or lost game

18. OLDIE

OLDIE TIA New Signing

Going back to the 70's and Gerald Sinstad and his the party is over quips on kick off.

We knew how to win those days. Something we need to learn nowadays.

legalalien and Irishanfield like this.
  19. Nikola

Nikola Mediocre outcome is the probable outcome. Admin

On emotional level, not many cup finals were as important to me (perhaps only Istanbul). I managed to get home after a while to visit my family and watch the final with them and we produced a damp squib in the first half... That was a difficult season and it could have ended with two cups.

Interesting thoughts about our Europa League runs in 2010 and 2016. I think that previous owners had their hearts (or whatever was in their place) set on dismissing Rafa even if it had been the last thing they would have done at Liverpool, so I don't think it would have saved him. I still wonder which course Liverpool would have taken had FSG taken over while Rafa was still in charge - personally, I think he would have clashed with them as well, they wouldn't allow him total control, nor necessary budget. As for last season, I don't think it would have made a big difference in the summer as I don't think our targets rejected us because of lack of CL football - though we won't know if we would have targeted better/more players had we qualified. Additional strain of Champions League football would have probably caused us even more troubles with fatigue and injuries since the squad was so small anyway.

inaiq likes this.
  20. StrongINTheAir

StrongINTheAir The voice of reason

Everyone??????

inaiq likes this.
  21. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

@Zoran mentions Leverkusen, which is an interesting shout. I really didnt like us under Houllier, but it was clear he approached the job in stages. Stage 1 - Solidity and a winning mentality. Stage 2 - actual football. That game seemed like the one that scared him into giving up on stage 2, and there is only so long Liverpool can take dire football that isnt winning.

PaulRoJo likes this.
  22. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

Broughton (who was de facto in charge) wanted Rafa to stay on but it's clear that by that stage Rafa had had enough.

23. AussieLad

AussieLad TIA Regular

I'd go with '88 cup final. Skippy's last game for us, and really wanted him to go out with 1 more medal.

Also, I think had we won that game, we would have knocked the smuggness out of those utter bastards in the crazy gang and they would have never developed that wankfest in the media for them.

24. i_still_miss_fowler

i_still_miss_fowler Open Your Eyes Morty! Moderator

Klopp your welcome ;-)

25. Chung

Chung TIA Moderator Moderator

Has to be between, last game of the season with Michael Thomas and second CL final v AC. No going with Stevies slip as theoretically that game wasn't the be all end all, plus it would have resulted in one of my worst nightmares, Rodgers staying on.

26. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

Gerrard's slip. 3points in that one match puts us 1 point ahead of Man City. first league title in 2 decades..

missing that title wasn't the reason Rodgers got shit-canned, because he was a bellend.

27. treboeth

treboeth Well-Known Member

The Chelsea match would have given us the title to satisfy the fans, just as importantly would have given StevieG the Medal he missed out on.
    As for Rodgers he would no have lasted but would have had my respect for delivering the Title we all want.

28. Bensud

Bensud New Member

Never seen such a funny response in all my time. Emojis aswell, wow how old?

29. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Blunt

They are used to indicate that i'm taking the piss,my name is Scott and i'm 40 and i don't act like it.:well done:

That one means okay.

Klopptinho likes this.
  30. ordelevarto

ordelevarto New Member

I keep on reading about the Stevie G slip up but what about the West Brom match where we were 2-0 up until Toure! We wouldn't have needed a result against Chelsea if we would have beat West Brom.